Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Foxtrot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Doomykins posted:

What would be the worst and most banal outcome possible here? Hmmm. Bernice is going to accidentally implicate Tara as an accomplice. Somehow.

Bernice is deputized as a Cop for no real reason.

Seriously, they loving HATE these kids!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

She's just so loving tired.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Classic Kevin & Kell (February 21-25, 2000)

Reminder that at this point:

- Fenton and Lindesfarne have been dating for less than two in-universe years;
- In that time, Fenton has cheated on Lindesfarne at least once (with Tammy);
- Fenton has been missing for the best part of a year, and they've only just reconnected (also, he has zero recollection of the year he was missing);
- Fenton is 18, a high school drop-out, and has just started working for Lindesfarne's dad for an internet start-up (which is nowhere near "a good job");
- Lindesfarne is underage (17) and has one more year of high school to go, and then she's presumably planning to move on to college since she's quite smart.

Seriously Fenton what the gently caress? There's being young and in love, and then there's whatever you thought you were doing. Lindesfarne did good in refusing to marry you for the time being.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Intet Nytt Fra Hjemmefronten

Nemi

Pondus

TegneHanne

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Didnt her real husband leave her for a dental hygienist?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Cruel Little Stories

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Julet Esqu posted:

I get the distinct impression that Dethany doesn't realize that her employer is abusive or that her workplace is toxic. I think she thinks this is just how offices are.

She's still a bad friend, though.

Funny thing is, FrumpleOrz actually sent Holbrook an email asking why Dethany's relationship with her boss is so abusive. Holbrook's reply was that Dethany was learning what not to do from Ms. Trellis once she's the boss, which is bullshit because Dethany never learns[/s] anything. So Dethany's completely aware her workplace and boss are toxic, she's just such a massive bootlicker who keeps excusing her boss's behavior.

Mikl posted:

Reminder that at this point:

- Fenton and Lindesfarne have been dating for less than two in-universe years;
- In that time, Fenton has cheated on Lindesfarne at least once (with Tammy);
- Fenton has been missing for the best part of a year, and they've only just reconnected (also, he has zero recollection of the year he was missing);
- Fenton is 18, a high school drop-out, and has [i]just
started working for Lindesfarne's dad for an internet start-up (which is nowhere near "a good job");
- Lindesfarne is underage (17) and has one more year of high school to go, and then she's presumably planning to move on to college since she's quite smart.

Seriously Fenton what the gently caress? There's being young and in love, and then there's whatever you thought you were doing. Lindesfarne did good in refusing to marry you for the time being.

I'm amused that Holbrook actually used the final point you made here, except he wussed out and didn't mention that Lindesfarne was still underage.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I continue to be astonished at how completely useless Axa is. Also, that’s a great way to ruin a sword.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/13/01

Bluebeard Starr 1/27/46

Smokey Stover 12/10/39

Richard's Poor Almanac

Bonus ad! Gland ho!

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Kennel posted:

Cruel Little Stories

:stare:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

:stare::hf::catstare:

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I don't see any airholes in that box, that tortoise was already dead.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Kavak posted:

I don't see any airholes in that box, that tortoise was already dead.
My interpretation is she was lying about the candy box because she didn't want her daughter to have a pet tortoise, so she just gave it away or got rid of it, but yours is pretty cruel too.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bobbins

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Selachian posted:

Bonus ad! Gland ho!

I was trying to google to find out what this is and this is all I found

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/40/119/2340174/

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!

Howard Beale posted:

I love this way of handling a strip transition.
Agreed. I’m sad to see the Hitz’s go, but it’s a fun way to see them off.
Have any modern comics gone through a strip transition like this?

kvx687 posted:

Also, I haven't seen anyone talking about Gay and Her Gang recently but it's also an excellent strip. For a basically storyless comic with a basic plot of 'rich unemployed 20somethings dunking on each other' it's genuinely witty and funny most of the time, and the font is gorgeous.
It translates really well considering it’s over 90 years old. In a few weeks there’s a stab at a story line, but it keeps up the daily quips. The strip is one of my favorites.

And He Did! (April 8, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (May 10, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (December 28, 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (April 20, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (September 20, 1935)

Dark Laughter (January 23, 1943)

Mopsy Sunday (January 18, 1948)

Those Were the Days (February 14, 1952)

Wee Pals (June 11, 1965)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Cathy March 15+16 1977

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

PetraCore posted:

My interpretation is she was lying about the candy box because she didn't want her daughter to have a pet tortoise, so she just gave it away or got rid of it, but yours is pretty cruel too.

Assuming it was a baby tortoise, yes. And not a sulcata baby, those fuckers survive a lot.

Otherwise...when I was a kid, and lived in a military base in New Mexico, we were known for being the turtle family, to the point my dad got a call from some freight company to pick up a stowaway. See, they were shipping in air conditioning units from Florida to NM, and at some point a Florida gopher tortoise crawled into one of the shipping freight boxes. And was delivered to NM, where the boxes sat for a good few months. By the time they cracked the case open, Frisky was super dehydrated and barely alive, but my dad picked her up, brought her home, and we got her back to sassy health quickly. I mostly remember her chasing me around the backyard because I always gave her extra treats.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

I get the distinct impression that Dethany doesn't realize that her employer is abusive or that her workplace is toxic. I think she thinks this is just how offices are.
I remember it coming up that Deathany is "learning what not to do" for when she becomes a manager, or some poo poo.

That said she's a total bootlicker who just thinks this is how things are.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

you broke my grill posted:

I was trying to google to find out what this is and this is all I found

https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/district-courts/FSupp/40/119/2340174/

That's more than I found ... I kept getting steered to information about Glendale.

Glands, and the alleged magical properties thereof, were as common in mid-century woo as "detoxification" is today. For instance, see Dr. John Brinkley, who got rich transplanting "goat glands" into men to treat impotence.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Selachian posted:

That's more than I found ... I kept getting steered to information about Glendale.

Glands, and the alleged magical properties thereof, were as common in mid-century woo as "detoxification" is today. For instance, see Dr. John Brinkley, who got rich transplanting "goat glands" into men to treat impotence.

One of the later Sherlock Holmes stories (published 1923) features this phenomenon: it turns out the villain has been taking a particularly powerful gland extract from monkeys in order to restore his youth and vitality, but every time he takes a dose he starts acting very monkey-like, to the point of climbing effortlessly up vines (which is how he got to an upper-story window, thus resolving a piece of the mystery).

As you might guess, this is NOT one of Arthur Conan Doyle's better stories.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

amigolupus posted:

oh no, yet another boyfriend of axa is an awful monster. :geno:

What really sucks is that Axa almost had some agency in wanting to fight the giant lobsters to eat them, but it swerves into this piracy storyline where she's a sexy lamp commenting on everything happening.

davidspackage posted:

drat it, Axa, when will you learn: trust only your robot, buff hunks will never help you.
When you put it this way this entire comic comes off as some kind of Sisyphus thing. Axa escapes her life of safety to seek adventure and hot dudes and yet all her adventures leave her naught but a sexy lamp and no matter how vigorously and frequently she tears off her clothing all her hot dudes turn on her.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Otherwise...when I was a kid, and lived in a military base in New Mexico, we were known for being the turtle family, to the point my dad got a call from some freight company to pick up a stowaway. See, they were shipping in air conditioning units from Florida to NM, and at some point a Florida gopher tortoise crawled into one of the shipping freight boxes. And was delivered to NM, where the boxes sat for a good few months. By the time they cracked the case open, Frisky was super dehydrated and barely alive, but my dad picked her up, brought her home, and we got her back to sassy health quickly. I mostly remember her chasing me around the backyard because I always gave her extra treats.
:3:

Powered Descent posted:

One of the later Sherlock Holmes stories (published 1923) features this phenomenon: it turns out the villain has been taking a particularly powerful gland extract from monkeys in order to restore his youth and vitality, but every time he takes a dose he starts acting very monkey-like, to the point of climbing effortlessly up vines (which is how he got to an upper-story window, thus resolving a piece of the mystery).

As you might guess, this is NOT one of Arthur Conan Doyle's better stories.
Arthur must've still had some ape-men juice left in him after writing The Lost World.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
The Far Side

Pickles

Zits

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Huh. I'd just assumed that the plastic nature of a full Drivers' License would allow it to make it through the laundry in mostly normal shape. Is this not the case? Are there states where the regular Driver's License is unlaminated cardstock?

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I've been missing a lot of days lately, but that should change soon.

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (July 6, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (July 6, 1999)

Garfield Classic (July 6, 1989)

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Moomin Goes Wild West

*Sounds of Lars furiously checking away at his 'western tropes to hit' checklist*
Apparently the 50s were very much the golden age of the Westerns, and they had a massive media presence, just like how Superheroes are now.
It does make me wonder how much of the western-mania made it's way over to europe, or if it was just a very specifically american thing for the most part.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

maltesh posted:

Huh. I'd just assumed that the plastic nature of a full Drivers' License would allow it to make it through the laundry in mostly normal shape. Is this not the case? Are there states where the regular Driver's License is unlaminated cardstock?

Part of the REAL ID standards was to stop printing drivers licenses on paper/cardstock so there might be some left over but a teenager certainly shouldn't have gotten their license so long ago that its like that.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Learner's permits are still printed on a paperish material, aren't they?

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Hostile V posted:

Learner's permits are still printed on a paperish material, aren't they?

Jeremy is often shown driving his van with alone or with just his teenage friends, though, so I assumed he has a full driver's license.

It seems like a lot of Learner's permits are also plastic these days.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SubNat posted:

It does make me wonder how much of the western-mania made it's way over to europe, or if it was just a very specifically american thing for the most part.
Some of the most famous western movies of all time were Italian, like all the Sergio Leone movies, or Django, and for each of those classics there are probably 10-20 more that were the Euro equivalent of grindhouse movies. It was more the 60s and 70s but it was absolutely a thing. To say nothing of the German phenomenon that are Karl May movies.

LazyQ
Feb 22, 2011

Mämmilä (June 30. 1990)

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Oh my God. The 80's. My God. No. Why. Why were we so gross. I hope she at least washes her spitty-rear end blood-covered hands between patients. Yaarg.

Credit where it's due. Jon did not lecture her right in front of the patient. That's a dick move when it happens.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Rauno you piece of poo poo

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

LazyQ posted:

Mämmilä (June 30. 1990)

Somebody run this kid over with a car, tia.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

SubNat posted:

Apparently the 50s were very much the golden age of the Westerns, and they had a massive media presence, just like how Superheroes are now.

In 1959, thirty westerns were running in prime time on US television. Every active superhero in the Marvel Universe would have to have a show to be that omnipresent.

Sally Forth

Pearls Before Swine

Peanuts (February 3, 1974(!))

If February seems a little early for DST, that's because in 1974 Nixon has just signed the Emergency Daylight Savings Time Act into effect as one prong in the fight against the energy crisis. The DST experiment lasted 18 months, long enough for people to get sick of the whole idea. Putting your kids out at the bus stops on pitch-black streets during the shorter days of winter has a way of changing opinions.

In the end, it was totally useless for the goals they were trying to achieve, so it's appropriate to The Way We Live Now that there's a bill in Congress to make it permanent.

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

"Classic" Mutt and Jeff

Life (With Skippy) (March 12, 1925)

Elsewhere in the issue: It's the St. Patrick's Day number, but Charles Forbell's contribution is the only one that rang my chimes this morning.

Toonerville Gap Pluggers, with more 1916 panels we missed on the first pass. (November 21, 28 and December 7, 1916 (as published in Richmond, VA))

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Bizarro guy has some weird items in this one. I can't get to 11 without counting some I consider questionable as to whether they're "official."

F Minus

Mark Trail

DOGSDOGSDOGSDOGSDOGS

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Haha because he has an ugly dog you never see.

Andertoons

Flash Gordon

Flash Forward

OK?