Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delthalaz
Mar 5, 2003

Slippery Tilde
I spent the big bucks and bought the fancy Spanish garum supposedly close to the original thing

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CRMQZP5

it’s pretty good! tastes a lot like asian fish sauce but a bit milder. we’ve used it for pasta sauce and a couple other things so far

e:

quote:

Flor de Garum is a premium Spanish fish sauce made from an ancient recipe from the 3rd century A.D., found in a European abbey. Made with only the finest anchovies, salt, and spices, this exquisite sauce adds a complex umami flavor to salad dressings, pasta dishes, or other sauce preparations. Delicate, savory and complex, Matiz Flor de Garum is a fish sauce unlike you’ve tasted before. Garum is the ancient Roman version of fish sauce, and was a ubiquitous condiment in that era. Its savory “umami” flavor added color and definition to ordinary foods (you could say it was their version of ketchup!). Garum was made with similar ingredients as an Asian fish sauce – fish, salt and spices – however, the amount of salt used was much less, resulting in more of the proteins being extracted from the fermenting fish. These proteins lent a greater flavor complexity to the sauce. Use it in salad dressings, marinades, pasta dishes, or add a splash to finished dishes. For a simple sauce that goes with just about anything, add chopped garlic, a bit of vinegar and hot peppers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Fish of hemp posted:

I've wondered how it would have felt being a Italian farmer when suddenly some centurio rides in, hands you a club, tells you're an auxiliary now and next thing you know you're fighting an elephant. Biggest thing you have seen is a bull and you know how dangerous that is.

At least for the socii, you would have equivalent arms to a legionary. The italian allies were expected to match the number of legions the Romans did when called to fight, and they fought in a similar way to the Romans and had similar equipment.

Obviously for your greater point that probably happened and goddamn it would suck rear end.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

quote:

The complaint tablet to Ea-nasir (UET V 81) is a clay tablet from ancient Babylon written c. 1750 BC. It is a complaint to a merchant named Ea-nasir from a customer named Nanni. Written in Akkadian cuneiform, it is considered to be the oldest known written complaint. It is currently kept in the British Museum.

Ea-nasir travelled to the Persian Gulf to buy copper and returned to sell it in Mesopotamia. On one particular occasion, he had agreed to sell copper ingots to Nanni. Nanni sent his servant with the money to complete the transaction. The copper was sub-standard and not accepted. In response, Nanni created the cuneiform letter for delivery to Ea-nasir. Inscribed on it is a complaint to Ea-nasir about a copper delivery of the incorrect grade, and issues with another delivery; Nanni also complained that his servant (who handled the transaction) had been treated rudely. He stated that, at the time of writing, he had not accepted the copper, but had paid the money for it.

quote:

The tablet was translated by Assyriologist A. Leo Oppenheim in his out-of-print 1967 book, Letters From Mesopotamia: Official, Business, and Private Letters on Clay Tablets from Two Millennia, and reads as follows:

“Tell Ea-nasir: Nanni sends the following message:

When you came, you said to me as follows: ‘I will give Gimil-Sin (when he comes) fine quality copper ingots.’ You left then but you did not do what you promised me. You put ingots which were not good before my messenger (Sit-Sin) and said: ‘If you want to take them, take them; if you do not want to take them, go away!’

What do you take me for, that you treat somebody like me with such contempt? I have sent as messengers gentlemen like ourselves to collect the bag with my money (deposited with you) but you have treated me with contempt by sending them back to me empty-handed several times, and that through enemy territory. Is there anyone among the merchants who trade with Telmun who has treated me in this way? You alone treat my messenger with contempt! On account of that one (trifling) mina of silver which I owe you, you feel free to speak in such a way, while I have given to the palace on your behalf 1,080 pounds of copper, and umi-abum has likewise given 1,080 pounds of copper, apart from what we both have had written on a sealed tablet to be kept in the temple of Samas.

How have you treated me for that copper? You have withheld my money bag from me in enemy territory; it is now up to you to restore (my money) to me in full.

Take cognizance that (from now on) I will not accept here any copper from you that is not of fine quality. I shall (from now on) select and take the ingots individually in my own yard, and I shall exercise against you my right of rejection because you have treated me with contempt.”

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1369309628119539714?s=20

twoday has issued a correction as of 03:40 on Mar 12, 2021

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

oh gently caress yes

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Lmao

twoday
May 4, 2005

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

happy to inspire you in the econ thread.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

a fatguy baldspot has issued a correction as of 07:37 on Mar 12, 2021

twoday
May 4, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

happy to inspire you in the econ thread.

much like Ea-Nasir and the tablet of Nanni, I did not read your post there

however it is pleasing unto my heart to know that I am not the only one to be intrigued by tales of Near Eastern copper ingot fraud

twoday
May 4, 2005

https://www.facebook.com/onaccountofthatonetriflingMinaofsilverthatIoweyou/videos/1743407212340433

masterpiece of a meme from 4 years ago

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
lol I hope that memepost ends up in a museum 4000 years from now

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Centrist Committee posted:

lol I hope that memepost ends up in a museum 4000 years from now

mint the nft

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
thousand year old proof that merchants can never be trusted is awesome

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

that mina of silver is trifling!

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
it's apparently 0.57 kg which seems like quite a lot of silver to me?

maybe nanni should have just paid what he owed and shut the gently caress up about it

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

XMNN posted:

it's apparently 0.57 kg which seems like quite a lot of silver to me?

maybe nanni should have just paid what he owed and shut the gently caress up about it

it's 60 shekels! Around that time (per Hammurabi's Code) that'd get you 6 years of peasant labor!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

how do people argue that capitalism isn't an inherent trait of civilization when the first written thing was literally a complaint over a capitalist transaction

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

because that copper was produced for its use-value not it's exchange value

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ghostlight posted:

There's an important distinction to be made between capital and capitalism - one does not beget the other - and also Marxist capital which is another thing entirely.

Capital has existed since pre-history because it's a basic concept of tool use. You chip some rocks to make a sharp rock for cutting and bang, that sharp rock is now your capital since it improves your productivity and therefore economic performance. That's all it is, a produced good that improves productivity. As economies become more and more complicated the core concept of capital diversifies into things like wells, carts, factories. On that latter example, we see it starting to get into the realm of what Marx calls the means of production - where the productivity of certain goods is no longer being increased but simply enabled; where the good being produced is now so complicated that it cannot be done at all without capital. Because capital is a kind of good itself, it is owned by the wealthy, and money starts to enter the system as a capital good because it can purchase goods for resale in other trading markets for more money.
This leads us into Marxist capital (politely referred to as financial capital just in case people think its communism) which is explicitly money being used to purchase goods for sale at a higher price. It is distinct from general capital because it only produces wealth without performing a function outside of its economic role. Like a capital good it increases economic power but unlike a capital good it does not produce goods.

Because we live in the End of History there is a tendency to mistake everyday items, such as coins, for markers of ideology. Many people look back at the past and see money, and trade, and markets, and wealthy and say "oh that was a kind of capitalism" but none of those things are unique to capitalism and it wasn't. Capitalism was expressly an ideology grown from the reigning idea of mercantilism which began with the age of sail and was the driving force for colonialism. Mercantilism, as a doctrine, stated that there were a certain number of resources in the world and the way a nation became rich was taking them from elsewhere. As natural resources poured in from the colonies they had to processed into goods, and this led to widespread industrialisation for the processing - the nascent capitalists realised that this was another way of generating wealth, by investment of capital into not just the structures of production but the structures of labour and land.

There we come to the key difference between "there has always been money and markets and capital" and "capitalism" - under capitalism it is not simply the use of money and markets and capital but the marriage of both the structures of production and the structures of society for the primary purpose of producing financial capital, and the resulting divorce of workers and capital goods.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Take cognizance that (from now on) I will not accept here any probation from you that is not of fine quality. I shall (from now on) select and take the probations individually on my own rap sheet, and I shall exercise against you my right of rejection because you have treated me with contempt.

twoday
May 4, 2005

Eox posted:

Take cognizance that (from now on) I will not accept here any probation from you that is not of fine quality. I shall (from now on) select and take the probations individually on my own rap sheet, and I shall exercise against you my right of rejection because you have treated me with contempt.

(USER HAS BEEN SENT BACK EMPTY-HANDED, AND THAT THROUGH ENEMY TERRITORY FOR THIS POST)

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Real hurthling! has issued a correction as of 00:24 on Mar 13, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

antikythera mechanism better understood by computer modeling

DarkEuphoria
Nov 7, 2012

twoday posted:

(USER HAS BEEN SENT BACK EMPTY-HANDED, AND THAT THROUGH ENEMY TERRITORY FOR THIS POST)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
No matter how often I am reminded of the Ea-Nasir story, I always need a second to remember if it's real history or something out of The Silmarillion.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Thanks for the capitalist clarification

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

frankenfreak posted:

No matter how often I am reminded of the Ea-Nasir story, I always need a second to remember if it's real history or something out of The Silmarillion.

As I'm reading that right now for basically the first time, I can see it

If Ea-Nasir made an oath around

quote:

Take cognizance that (from now on) I will not accept here any copper from you that is not of fine quality. I shall (from now on) select and take the ingots individually in my own yard, and I shall exercise against you my right of rejection because you have treated me with contempt.”

that somehow causes a multi-generational war that plays into Morgoth's hand

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

zegermans posted:

how do people argue that capitalism isn't an inherent trait of civilization when the first written thing was literally a complaint over a capitalist transaction

the central economic sphere of production and distribution in bronze age mesopotamia were the temple complexes. they made things, they employed people, and they sold things, and were the main economic entities that the majority of people would deal with. merchants would trade between cities and thus between temple economies, and the system of interlocking trade and tribute routes stretched across the entire mediterranean basin and at least as far as what is now iran. trade in copper (and tin), as ea-nasir and nanni are involved in, was essential to the whole economic system, which stayed pretty similar all the way up until it violently collapsed around 1200 bce.

these merchants were involved in trade for profit, but they were not capitalists, and the system was not capitalism. there was little or no practice of wage labor, and the means of production of goods were concentrated in the temples and not in the hands of the merchant class who carried out intercity and interstate trade. money in this system was a means of exchange and denomination of debts, the classic commodity-money-commodity cycle that marx described as distinct from the money-commodity-money system of capitalism.

e: michael hudson describes this system here, including how it was the origin of money itself.

fabergay egg has issued a correction as of 06:22 on Mar 14, 2021

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
Maybe answer to our current economic crisis is return to the temple economy.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

fabergay egg posted:

the central economic sphere of production and distribution in bronze age mesopotamia were the temple complexes. they made things, they employed people, and they sold things, and were the main economic entities that the majority of people would deal with. merchants would trade between cities and thus between temple economies, and the system of interlocking trade and tribute routes stretched across the entire mediterranean basin and at least as far as what is now iran. trade in copper (and tin), as ea-nasir and nanni are involved in, was essential to the whole economic system, which stayed pretty similar all the way up until it violently collapsed around 1200 bce.

these merchants were involved in trade for profit, but they were not capitalists, and the system was not capitalism. there was little or no practice of wage labor, and the means of production of goods were concentrated in the temples and not in the hands of the merchant class who carried out intercity and interstate trade. money in this system was a means of exchange and denomination of debts, the classic commodity-money-commodity cycle that marx described as distinct from the money-commodity-money system of capitalism.

e: michael hudson describes this system here, including how it was the origin of money itself.

Thanks so much for this, as someone not well-versed in socioeconomic world history I struggle trying to explain to others how capitalism wasn't always around and other economic systems existed and bought/sold things without being capitalist.

Re: the bolded parts, could you link some more info about this? I've never heard about this and would like to know more in order to dunk on libs.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

kinda want to interject that the "all temple" model has some significant sceptics, including Michael Hudson. There's two big issues - first is that the temples were major centers of manufacturing for export, but they didn't really have a lot of control over the peasantry, who were the largest population sector by a significant margin. The other element is that the main reason we know so much about the temples is that they wrote so much down, and they wrote all this down because they had to report to the palace, which had its own complementary economic production (such as large herds and beer production) and was of course the force that would institute debt jubilees, overriding aristocratic desires for consistent debt contracts.

Privatization also started significantly earlier than 1200bce, like we have pretty good evidence that it was kicking into gear by Ur III, and not long later we start seeing an interesting practice: portions of the temple income (effectively dividends) can be sold in a form alienated from the bureaucratic duties that were usually how one was entitled to those. AFAIK this practice started as a way to buy off Amorites who were attacking Nippur but it did become just a market practice.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
I wouldn't say there was no 'wage labor', people worked for wages but they were paid in kind; corvee workers for example received payment in grain, meat, oil & clothes. Also you could pay a tithe in silver to be exempted from the corvee, too.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Corvée workers are, by definition, not wage labourers because they do not labour for a wage. Their labour is not bought by an employer for purpose - it is owed by the labourer to the state. The 'payment' is not the purchase of the labour, it is maintenance of the workforce.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Ghostlight posted:

Corvée workers are, by definition, not wage labourers because they do not labour for a wage. Their labour is not bought by an employer for purpose - it is owed by the labourer to the state. The 'payment' is not the purchase of the labour, it is maintenance of the workforce.

seems like a pretty irrelevant distinction tbh. the end result was the same, the worked had to labor for someone else to make a living

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

babypolis posted:

seems like a pretty irrelevant distinction tbh. the end result was the same, the worked had to labor for someone else to make a living

iirc, corvee systems used such labor as a substitute for taxes in money or kind. corvee laborers were not compensated and still had to independently provide for themselves.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
guess who's back in business?

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1369309628119539714?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Look at the top of this page for an amazing meme dump