Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
personally I'm looking forward to the police investigating themselves and learning the important lessons from their conduct last night, for example "only brutalise people that are on the wrong side of the culture war", and then calling it good

patel asking for a report about how this thing happened (that was definitely not her fault for criminalising protest and sending the message that the police should crack more skulls more readily) is very lol, I'm sure it won't just conclude it was all Cressida Dick's idea on her own and priti stared on in horror as she saw it on the news

e: a typographical point is 1/72th of an inch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i think keir would actually look the part in one of those old diddy men police hats

just has the beady, ruddy, moist features you expect to see under one

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
he wants that loving bill passed to stop anyone following him around playing the theme tune from The Bill on a stereo imo

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.ft.com/content/dc2aaf68-b92e-4c48-8823-e7e4648ccb74

Britain has declared that China is now in “a state of ongoing non-compliance” with the 1984 Sino-British joint declaration, which was supposed to guarantee Hong Kong a high degree of autonomy after the territory returned to Beijing’s control in 1997.

Dominic Raab, foreign secretary, said radical changes planned by Beijing to restrict participation in Hong Kong elections represented a further clear breach of the legally binding declaration.

His comments came ahead of the publication next week of a UK foreign and defence policy, which will see Boris Johnson’s government set out its strategy for dealing with China.

While David Cameron’s government claimed that the UK and China were engaged in a new “golden age”, Johnson will set a strategy to make Britain less reliant on Chinese investment and technology.

Britain’s intention to increase its presence in the Pacific region was illustrated in January by its application to join 11 countries in the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Jippa posted:

Britain has declared that China is now in “a state of ongoing non-compliance” with the 1984 Sino-British joint declaration, which was supposed to guarantee Hong Kong a high degree of autonomy after the territory returned to Beijing’s control in 1997.

Dominic Raab, foreign secretary, said radical changes planned by Beijing to restrict participation in Hong Kong elections represented a further clear breach of the legally binding declaration.

His comments came ahead of the publication next week of a UK foreign and defence policy, which will see Boris Johnson’s government set out its strategy for dealing with China.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uedd8wKvYIo

Jippa posted:

While David Cameron’s government claimed that the UK and China were engaged in a new “golden age”, Johnson will set a strategy to make Britain less reliant on Chinese investment and technology.

Yes, Brexit is a good start, definitely makes the UK less reliant on non-EU trade :banjo:

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

peanut- posted:

All that has been dismantled, in 15 years we're going to start seeing the first large wave of people hitting retirement age with only what they've accumulated in DC pension schemes and that is only going to accelerate.

We're also about to hit the generation where pensionable age rises above the period when most age-related health problems begin. This year I've had one neighbour die of dementia, another be diagnosed with terminal cancer, and another start to suffer vision problems due to diabetes. All three had retired by the time of their diagnosis, and all three are still younger than my predicted retirement age. We're going to start seeing people realise they'll either not live to see retirement, or they'll spend it hooked up to a drip desperately trying to convince the DWP that they're looking for work otherwise their benefits will be cut.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

crispix posted:

he wants that loving bill passed to stop anyone following him around playing the theme tune from The Bill on a stereo imo

That theme tune whips rear end in 7/4 though, id love to have that as my entrance music

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
kieth gets this instead
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtnNO5_Ao6U

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jippa posted:

https://www.ft.com/content/dc2aaf68-b92e-4c48-8823-e7e4648ccb74

Britain’s intention to increase its presence in the Pacific region was illustrated in January by its application to join 11 countries in the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership.

Opium War Part III baby! This time the Chinese force us to buy all their smack

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

namesake posted:

Anyway remember last year when that copper on the horse charged into the traffic light? Good times.

I was just thinking about that. Good times.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm sure someone on twitter edited it to the opening of land down under and it was very funny.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
I also remember when it continued down the street and took out a protester and the police response was 'lol :shrug:'

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Lady Demelza posted:

We're also about to hit the generation where pensionable age rises above the period when most age-related health problems begin. This year I've had one neighbour die of dementia, another be diagnosed with terminal cancer, and another start to suffer vision problems due to diabetes. All three had retired by the time of their diagnosis, and all three are still younger than my predicted retirement age. We're going to start seeing people realise they'll either not live to see retirement, or they'll spend it hooked up to a drip desperately trying to convince the DWP that they're looking for work otherwise their benefits will be cut.

Very depressingly the father of one of the bridesmaids at my wedding passed away from coronavirus just a couple of days ago. He caught it weeks ago and when things started getting worse decided that he would finally retire, when he could have years before. And so, he didn't even get to use a penny of his pension saved up over 4 decades.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i see some Stuff happened last night

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
Reckon that's how it's going to go, more and more though. The next pandemic, climate change... these are the things that are going to take us down, we won't get to live out our last days dying comfortably of old age with a loved one in a cottage in the woods. Its not how it should be, but I feel like it's hopeless. No point saving for the future if you can't save the future.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Mebh posted:

I can't even begin to describe the cloying, awful, unbelievable nose rending, can't breathe, smell.

New thread title.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If it's a choice between living like the current lot and dying of something stupid I will take the dying stupid, seems preferable to being as much of an utter waste and detriment to the world as the people out there now.

The idea of just repeating the way they live is horrifying to be honest. I'd like to think that I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing what I was taking from my successors but it seems like people are very good at living with that or ignoring it when it suits them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 14, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah I don't think it's all manufactured but I do think some of it is cynical.
Talking about 6pm curfews for all men and crazy things that just start arguments for the news to push.

And it helps to push the "did the cops know? (almost certainly)" into the long grass

I hope something good will come of it but I kinda just think it's gonna be another big national argument with no political impact other than the country continues lurching rightwards.
The Metropolitan Police have outdone themselves on this one. Trampling the flowers at a vigil for a woman who was murdered by one of their colleagues is something you'd have people saying "that's a bit Odessa Steps, you need to keep it believable" about before yesterday, and they've managed to firmly center it back on police again.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Isomermaid posted:

Reckon that's how it's going to go, more and more though. The next pandemic, climate change... these are the things that are going to take us down, we won't get to live out our last days dying comfortably of old age with a loved one in a cottage in the woods. Its not how it should be, but I feel like it's hopeless. No point saving for the future if you can't save the future.

This is where I'm at, so I'm just trying to have fun while I can

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

If it's a choice between living like the current lot and dying of something stupid I will take the dying stupid, seems preferable to being as much of an utter waste and detriment to the world as the people out there now.

The idea of just repeating the way they live is horrifying to be honest. I'd like to think that I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing what I was taking from my successors but it seems like people are very good at living with that or ignoring it when it suits them.

What are you even talking about.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
UK government considering blanket ban on orange order parades!! :toot:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56391988

Mebh
May 10, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

What are you even talking about.

I assume he's talking about retiring, voting tory, and using all the resources at ones disposal to maintain the status quo, drat everyone else.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Guavanaut posted:

The Metropolitan Police have outdone themselves on this one. Trampling the flowers at a vigil for a woman who was murdered by one of their colleagues is something you'd have people saying "that's a bit Odessa Steps, you need to keep it believable" about before yesterday, and they've managed to firmly center it back on police again.

Yeah I was talking with my partner about this today, they had gotten away completely free but the scorpion is a scorpion

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Mebh posted:

I assume he's talking about retiring, voting tory, and using all the resources at ones disposal to maintain the status quo, drat everyone else.

And ensure the planet will be unlivable for their children and grandchildren also

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

crispix posted:

UK government considering blanket ban on orange order parades!! :toot:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56391988

I eagerly await the specific exemption the Orangemen will get in Glasgow to make as much of a loving racket as they like, and definitely don't bring up how a lot of local councillors etc are also in said dickhead parades.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Yeah I was talking with my partner about this today, they had gotten away completely free but the scorpion is a scorpion

The statement from the Met today which was basically 'Look at what you made us do, its your own fault we had to hit you' is absolutely bonkers too.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Isomermaid posted:

So should we all just do ourselves in? If not why post this poo poo?

I see a lot of this type of posting but is it for anything other than trying to pass your misery on to others like trying to get rid of a curse?

If you're not planning to go down kicking and screaming you're the reason the left got utterly wrecked. Everyone loves the face to bloodshed meme but no one wants to live it. Endure, cowards.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Regarde Aduck posted:

I see a lot of this type of posting but is it for anything other than trying to pass your misery on to others like trying to get rid of a curse?

It's a legitimate fear given the catastrophic effects of climate change and the rise of fascism across the supposedly free world. Ignoring it or telling people to gently caress off isn't helpful - I mean if someone is relentlessly doomposting all the time it may be better to suggest seeking help unless they are clearly trolling.

Bad faith posters are usually fairly easy to spot after a short while tbh

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
What happened to Aceofflames anyway?

But seriously, doomposting is just venting. poo poo's hosed and saying so provides at least a tiny modicum of catharsis for being able to express your feelings. Maybe don't do it too much, but the thread can have a little doomposting. As a treat.

edit: Like seriously, it's really upsetting to see the trajectory we're on and most of the world continuing on blindly towards destruction. Even just saying "poo poo's hosed!" and having someone reply, "I know, right?" is seriously good for not feeling like you're going completely insane.

Shyrka fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Mar 14, 2021

Simsandwich
Feb 15, 2007

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

I eagerly await the specific exemption the Orangemen will get in Glasgow to make as much of a loving racket as they like, and definitely don't bring up how a lot of local councillors etc are also in said dickhead parades.

Let's not forget Labour candidates for Holyrood and Westminster being selected in certain areas by organised election blocs of Orangemen (something I thought was tinfoil hat stuff until attending a CLP where this happened.)

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Regarde Aduck posted:

If you're not planning to go down kicking and screaming you're the reason the left got utterly wrecked. Everyone loves the face to bloodshed meme but no one wants to live it. Endure, cowards.

I'm enduring but like not fretting about not having a loving ISA

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Simsandwich posted:

Let's not forget Labour candidates for Holyrood and Westminster being selected in certain areas by organised election blocs of Orangemen (something I thought was tinfoil hat stuff until attending a CLP where this happened.)

Yeah, the level of control the Orange Order have on Scottish politics, especially at a local level, seems like proper conspiracy theorist stuff, but it's absolutely how it works, the Order can basically dictate who is elected in certain areas.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1371134757183107079

gently caress off Starmer you useless poo poo.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Lungboy posted:

cop, we live in a cop society.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Keith Starman with the hottest takes.

He is such a useless prick. drat.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
controlled opposition

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Starmer was dangerously close to learning a lesson there.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Lungboy posted:

What a useless oval office.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Shyrka posted:

What happened to Aceofflames anyway?

But seriously, doomposting is just venting. poo poo's hosed and saying so provides at least a tiny modicum of catharsis for being able to express your feelings. Maybe don't do it too much, but the thread can have a little doomposting. As a treat.

edit: Like seriously, it's really upsetting to see the trajectory we're on and most of the world continuing on blindly towards destruction. Even just saying "poo poo's hosed!" and having someone reply, "I know, right?" is seriously good for not feeling like you're going completely insane.

Honestly I feel a bit like it's gonna take a significant proportion of people to get the mindset of "everything's hosed, isn't it?", and then turn that doomerism into anger, and into action, for anything to change. I guess I'm an accelerationist now.

I replied to some dickhead on Reddit (I know) the other day, he made some big long post about "Ah yes well we could decarbonise but the capital cost of power plants has to be paid back and [faaaaaaaaaaaaart]" and all I could think to say was "Money isn't real and the planet is dying.". And honestly I think that just sums it up. Every single argument about why we can't do anything about climate change is around "Oh we can't afford that" and the economy and poo poo.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Lungboy posted:

So the only thing Starmer feels someone should resign over is... tweeting a link to an interview with Maxine Peake?