Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Dwesa posted:

Those are pledge store goggles that enable buying spaceship jpgs while you make a coffee in your tank office.

Pledge goggles also prevent you from accidentally looking at other, better games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

What is the point of a a tank, manned by at least 3 people no less, in a setting where there are capital ships that can bombard a planet

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

MedicineHut posted:

In other industries and more solid contexts the clumsiness of this diversion would have been spotted and called out by serious media and critics right away. With employees even fired or sanctioned. But since CIG and SC are only basically known to us and the shitizens, well... there you go.

Us and the fake "journalists" at Kotaku who have no integrity.

"Journalists" so fake that several CIG employees sought them out so they could voice their concerns.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Kotaku does still have the gawker stink all over it, to be fair. I don’t doubt the truth of the article but they’re probably the easiest games journalism outfit to handwave away as a bullshit gossip rag from the true believers’ perspective.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Sankis posted:

What is the point of a a tank, manned by at least 3 people no less, in a setting where there are capital ships that can bombard a planet
So they can sell it for $105. It has also phallic gun and it's big. Its role is to compensate for something.

If you care about dreams.txt, check A full strategic and functional analysis of the Nova.

commando posted:

It is hard to overstate how disproportionately important and central of a figure the Nova will be to the ground game in serious conflicts, especially between larger orgs with 100s or 1000s of members all fighting for control of land and resources in the future PU when vast battalions are deployed on each side, but also even in more modest squad-level or lone-wolf type of ops.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Mar 14, 2021

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

an insane person posted:

It is hard to overstate how disproportionately important and central of a figure the Nova will be to the ground game in serious conflicts, especially between larger orgs with 100s or 1000s of members all fighting for control of land and resources in the future PU when vast battalions are deployed on each side, but also even in more modest squad-level or lone-wolf type of ops.

Mmm yes. Definitely going to have conflicts between 1000+ people in this game in year 9 of development that struggles to handle 50 players on a server.

Also, really looking forward to more well-informed takes from CIG employees in ENGLAND about how employees in Austin, TX were treated during a winter storm.
Are there actually any tweets from Austin employees that aren't PR hacks debating this?

A quick glance gave me

Manchester
A guy from Texas I think, but he appears to be a community hire/true believer and looks to be involved with PR in some way
Someone from Austin that works in HR
Liverpool
Someone not from Texas and who is also a community relations person
Manchester again
Los Angeles

I've seen nothing from say a low to mid-level developer who actually works in Austin. It's all people from thousands of miles away or who are employed in a role where it's their job to spin bad news.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Sankis posted:

Silly vehicles in a game are fine, as long as they are made to fit some gameplay. It helps if the game universe is somehow quirky and interesting so it's easier to explain them.

SC has no gameplay, vehicles are added pure as a means to vacuum more funds. Lastly, Chris Roberts is in charge, so the universe is the most milquetoast possible.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

an actual frog posted:

what, like you've all never seen a tank big enough to feature its own captain's office smh

This tank raises a lot of questions and it's pretty obvious nobody on the Star Shitizen team gave a bit of consideration to why tanks look the way they do.

- Those gears at the back of the tank? The ones with the teeth? That's a sprocket wheel and it's what actually rotates the tracks. It's usually a good idea to have the sprocket wheels connected to the engine somehow, so they can actually be powered to rotate the tracks. Here they are connected to small triangle by the rear door.

- There are no return rollers. Return rollers are basically small freely rotating wheels that hold the top of the track in place. Tracks need to have some give to them so they don't snap the moment the tank drives over something and the suspension causes road wheels to rise, and if the track is just allowed to hang loose, it will either fly off the wheels quite easily or snap in place. So you have return rollers which take the load and don't allow the tracks to sag too much.

- The idler wheel at the front also looks suspect. The idler wheel is basically the counterpart to the sprocket wheel, and takes a lot of weight and stress. Hell, the whole wedge shaped track system is loving idiotic to begin with and there's a reason you don't see it in tanks. It's pretty obvious someone looked at pictures of the Swedish Stridsvagn 103 and thought "wow, what a cool futuristic shape", not realizing that the S-tank's tracks look wedge shaped in some pictures because it has hydro-pneumatic suspension, which is basically intended to raise the tank's rear so it can just peek over ridge lines and keep the actual tank as well hidden as possible. The tank doesn't have a turret, and the gun doesn't normally have any elevation, so the gun's elevation is controlled by raising and lowering the whole tank's body.

It doesn't drive around like that normally because it's not practical and you can't go very fast like that. Normally the Stridsvagn looks like this.

In fact I'd guarantee someone archered a picture of the Stridsvagn in basically maximum suspension elevation not realizing what they were looking at.

- The whole "house-sized" tank thing is also pretty stupid. How big does your tank need to be? Big enough so that everything it needs fits inside moderately comfortably. And no bigger. Smaller size = smaller target. Smaller size = less weight. Smaller size = easier to transport. Why the gently caress does a tank need a god drat living room sized corridor? Why does the commander need their own enclosed office with doors and poo poo? And is that a toilet behind him or something?

Also, where's the engine? You can be as sci-fi as you want but you're not fitting an engine that drives this 100 ton monstrosity in a TV-sized triangle next to the rear door. Or more accurately two engines, because the two sides can't be connected to each other because there's a door in the middle.

- Having the main gun off to one side of the turret is dumb as hell. You generally want it positioned centrally because guess what, you don't get to fight a war just from one direction. If this tank needs to peek around something to its right, it needs to expose its entire hull to be able to fire, and you don't want that.

- Speaking of the gun, that thing has zero elevation, so good luck firing at anything above the horizon line. The gun's rear end simply has no place to depress to, because the turret is placed over a solid roof instead of a turret basket. And it doesn't have a lot of gun depression either, because even if they have some kind of futuristic "the gun pivots independently of the turret" setup, that weird block at the bottom of the gun barrel will hit the tank's roof after a couple of degrees of depression.

Or maybe they're going for a Stridsvagn type setup where you adjust aim vertically through the suspension, in which case why the gently caress have a turret at all instead of a casemate gun?

E: you may call me overtly pedantic, but this is a SIMULATION where they claim they'll model the loving air quality and air levels in every room and excuse unflyably bad cockpits with "well that's what realism demands!" so...

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Mar 14, 2021

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Fidelitious posted:

Also, really looking forward to more well-informed takes from CIG employees in ENGLAND about how employees in Austin, TX were treated during a winter storm.

[…]

I've seen nothing from say a low to mid-level developer who actually works in Austin. It's all people from thousands of miles away or who are employed in a role where it's their job to spin bad news.

No but you see, the meanies are being mean to the company! At that point, you have to step up and explain that something definitely did not happen that you are aware of in a place that is very far away, where they complained about the rest of the company not being aware of how hard they had been hit (a fact that was then actually acknowledged by official statements). So therefore, it is all good, because CIG UK/LA was treating everyone very nicely when Texas was hit and that is indicative of.

RandomGuy12
Jan 20, 2019

this is quality goon stuff i like to read. Thank you.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Clearly it moves by firing the turret backwards and using it to propel itself like a tank in an early battlefield game

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

People complaining about the elevation/depression of the gun- look closer at the turret. The gun itself is on a joint, like the arm of a crane. This is because they are going to use the same gimbal mechanics as every other gun in the game. No, it doesn't make any sense. Yes, a gun that size would immediately snap off that joint when fired, and if future guns have recoil compensators that good, then the turret is just pointlessly huge. Doesn't matter. 105 dollars please.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sarsapariller posted:

God Chris Roberts is such a legendarily thin-skinned piece of poo poo

Anyway, how's about that tank model, that is totally a normal size for tanks:

Is this that 2 story tall tank they sold a few years ago that had everything in it except an engine?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Golli posted:

I'm surprised CIG didn't encourage their employees to add the #MeNeither hashtag to their positive tweets about how they have never had a negative experience with CIG management.

#keepdoingwhatyouredoing

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SirTagz posted:

The unrealistic gear is seriously a minor issue with everything CIG does. Thats the stuff you whine about when the rest of the game works fine.. or well.. exists.

On a slow news day I like the memes and catz in this thread. The complaints get really repetitive.

Can we make a rule that every second post has to be a cat? Or every first?

It's Chris, and he has seen all the army and military movies. He is pretty much special ops.

"Stay frosty."

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

The Titanic posted:

Is this that 2 story tall tank they sold a few years ago that had everything in it except an engine?

it this a reference to any particular bug, or that if you look at the cutaway pictures none of the wheels driving the treads are attach to an axle and instead sits attached to a 2-in wall, opposite the lounge area

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Mirificus posted:

quote:

CIG devs genuinely seem to love working for CIG compared to every other game dev they worked for. Even Tyler's recent interview with some streamers show that CIG was something better than what you find in the industry.

Either some of those quotes are made up or they're not attributed to actual employees. Something smells fishy, even for Kotaku

quote:

I had to go back and verify that as actually being from an employee (in this case "said one source") because this sounds very much like what a normal Kotaku article on SC boils down to.

If it's actually a quote from a source within CIG, it makes me wonder why they bother to stick with developing the game if they don't think it's going anywhere.

/Seriously, though, that doesn't sound like a quote from a disgruntled employee, that sounds like a quote from a disgruntled player/reporter

quote:

There's clickbait and then there's libel. We'll see how far CIG pushes this - my untrained eye suggests there is a clear case for it here. Careful with the blatant lies, Kotaku. There are laws for that...

quote:

Not zero - the ENTIRE Austin office is coming out saying it's false. They'll have to demonstrate a reliable source. There will be a burden on them to back up what they stated. They referenced emails? They better produce them, etc...

This is looking very, very promising for libel.

quote:

Except there is considerable evidence to the contrary. Libel cases of a very similar nature reach favorable outcomes for the libeled party all the time, which would suggest that there is a significant burden on publications regarding defamation.

https://www.jdjournal.com/2017/10/01/this-list-of-10-celebrities-who-ended-up-winning-lawsuits-will-surprise-you/

https://www.dailysignal.com/2019/02/21/3-recent-libel-suit-outcomes/

My favorite from this one is the first Rolling Stone case, where the reporter was fined $2MM and the publication company $1MM because, and I quote, "This was on the basis that the reporter had reason for doubt."

Considering that CIG leadership and overwhelming support from other employees at the Austin office has given significant reason for doubt, either they retract - or there is a libel case here, and a winnable one by all counts.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

The Titanic posted:

Also I'm the extremely flimsy human finger diameter towing hook attached to a loving door with two tiny metal triangles.

The real thing:

(the real things are attached to the hull with massive chunks of steel because they have to take the strain of the insanely heavy tank getting towed somewhere, that thing doesn't look like it could be used as a carabiner for mountain climbing. And this thing would weigh like 100+ tons easy.)

Look at the towing hooks on a Jagdtiger, a World War II era ~70 ton tank destroyer. Note that it is maybe half as tall as the Chrispanzer would be judging by the height of the track assembly...

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Mar 14, 2021

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

ErrEff posted:

I loving bet that right after the article was published, there was an internal purge to try and weed out the employees that dared to speak out. If this is the groupthink on the outside, just imagine the groupthink on the inside (and we already have a bunch of tweets from CIG employees on this subject that proves how toxic the company culture is - and that's just the stuff they're willing to post publicly, not in internal Slack chats).

This whole mess is exactly why they never should have posted anything on social media anywhere except an official company statement that is a boilerplate "we're going to investigate and make corrections where necessary".

Now you've got a weird internal witch hunt, people playing down the realities of what some people went through, and even rewriting history of "oh your problem wasn't that bad".

It's sad and depressing and I hope the people who already suffered enough aren't suffering even more because they dared to expect better treatment from their company during a literal time of crisis for the state they were in.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sankis posted:

They always say something like "of COURSE its 'anonymous' sources.... probably made up" like they don't understand that they're almost definitely not anonymous to the reporter and that their identity was likely confirmed.

And in real time, with even this stupid thing, you can see exactly why sources need to remain anonymous.

The people who suffered would now either be fired, or attacked with who knows what kind of crazy threats from the totally stable backers of this project, and they would be ostracized by their co workers as well.

The stakes only get higher in journalism and for people who talk to them as you go to more important issues.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tippis posted:

No but you see, the meanies are being mean to the company! At that point, you have to step up and explain that something definitely did not happen that you are aware of in a place that is very far away, where they complained about the rest of the company not being aware of how hard they had been hit (a fact that was then actually acknowledged by official statements). So therefore, it is all good, because CIG UK/LA was treating everyone very nicely when Texas was hit and that is indicative of.

yeah thats how i do it also. if a colleague dares to critizise the company i work for i fire up my twitter account and defend my company. i work for a global company usa/emea/australia. so if someone from australia complains that they have to bring their own toilet paper i will call em out for that sure. “i never had to bring MY toilet paper!“

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Flannelette posted:

It's because given how unstable just walking up a ramp and sitting in a chair is in game, trying to make a realistic size tank where you have to climb on top of it and go into a cramped space through a hatch would be completely impossible. :eng101:
It's big for the same reason lego vehicles and action figure vehicles are big.

Actually clicking on some hatch that plays an animation that snaps you into position would have been the easiest way to go. The tank could be any size because the animation would end with you where you need to be positioned.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

It's not hard to extrapolate the internal company culture even without leaks. When you have any company that hinges on predatory marketing practices, lies, failing to create what they say they are, and led by an incompetent egomaniac - well all those stories are exactly the same. You have a handful of competent people who know drat well it's impossible, but keep their heads down hoping to eventually steer the titanic away from the iceberg through micro contributions, but they never succeed. You have a handful of competents who are looking for other work. You have a metric fuckload of hangers-on who think thinks like "I'm working for career legend Chris Roberts" and wear that on their sleeve like a badge of honor. Those are the people who are super-concerned with "attitudes" and say things like "we have no time for negativity here." If you've ever worked for a company like this, you probably get flashbacks of your time spent there. I don't envy any of the people stuck in that suffocating, oppressive hellhole, even less considering that they're not even making anything.

Actually I feel like the whole thing has helped to show an interesting side of CIG internal structure.

There's a lot, or some, people who are looking for head pats, enough to throw their coworkers under the bus.

This seems to imply that it doesn't matter how good your work is, you're only getting ahead based on who you have made happy or know. So it's a power struggle of "notice me, senpai!" except as a corporate culture.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

The Titanic posted:

Actually clicking on some hatch that plays an animation that snaps you into position would have been the easiest way to go. The tank could be any size because the animation would end with you where you need to be positioned.

Not to mention, it would have been an excellent opportunity to shoot more mo-cap footage. Hell, add a TANK SCENE to Squadron 42 where characters walk and talk around a tank, and you could maybe even get Chris Roberts himself to show vague signs of interest in his own game!

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
This tank isn't even in the game yet right? How long ago was it announced?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

It's symptomatic of a cult mentality how vindictive these mental dwarfs are. They can't just stop at brigading comment section and threads, demanding identity of those employees is not enough... no, they must dream up whole libel case with CIG winning millions. CIG won't sue anyone.

Meanwhile this piece of news spread to other gaming news sites. Well, except for Twinfinite and Nelva, he's writing about new vehicles or whatever.

Lammasu posted:

This tank isn't even in the game yet right? How long ago was it announced?

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 14, 2021

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

The Titanic posted:

Actually I feel like the whole thing has helped to show an interesting side of CIG internal structure.

There's a lot, or some, people who are looking for head pats, enough to throw their coworkers under the bus.

This seems to imply that it doesn't matter how good your work is, you're only getting ahead based on who you have made happy or know. So it's a power struggle of "notice me, senpai!" except as a corporate culture.

Well sure. What else is going to give them an edge in the company hierarchy? Doing good work? Don't be silly — that will change from one week to the next, and then what was once good will suddenly become the worst and most embarrassing poo poo ever that needs an immediate refactor rework. No-one will win a promotion by playing that fool's game.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

They deserve to lose their job then. Publishing libel is loving disgusting. This is obviously a hit piece and if they want to go ahead and publish it then they better be ready for the consequences.

quote:

Can WE sue as backers?

quote:

Actually, we probably could. As backers, we have made an investment into a future product which requires a continuous source of funding in order to complete. We have a vested interest in the public sentiment of the project remaining positive, or at the very least honestly informed, because the public sentiment has a tangible relationship to additional funding.

By spreading outright libel, which this is by every legal definition, and which is also actionable, Kotaku damages CIG's reputation, which leads to individuals who might otherwise become backers getting a bad taste in their mouth and deciding not to do so.

I'm sure there are plenty of lawyers who'd love to Hogan tf out of Kotaku, and I'd love to be a part of that as a concierge level backer.

quote:

The vested interest is material, not financial gain, and despite not being a lawyer, I'm fairly certain that by interfering with CIG's ability to produce the product that we have paid for, if a lawsuit by backers were to prevail, we would be entitled to compensation because we are the injured party in that scenario.

Again, I'm not a lawyer, but I've been sued and I've sued plenty of people in my time. So I'm not totally unfamiliar with how these things work.

To be fair though, you make a good point about the difficulty in try and succeeding in a libel case.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

:stare:

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

item_Name_sasu_medium_armor_helmet_01_01_01=Star Kitten Helmet
item_Name_sasu_medium_armor_helmet_01_01_10=Star Kitten Sally Helmet
item_Name_sasu_medium_armor_helmet_01_01_19=Star Kitten Damon Helmet

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
Well if the article is so clearly libelous, then I guess if CIG doesn't sue it amounts to an admission that the article was actually true.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Im amused that this "tank" is somehow less realistic than a Space Marine Land Raider, at least the Raider kinda looks plausable. For one, it actually has an engine compartment.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
does cig have a libel case - no

do you have standing to sue somebody for sayin things about a company that you’ve given money to - no

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

DreadUnknown posted:

Im amused that this "tank" is somehow less realistic than a Space Marine Land Raider, at least the Raider kinda looks plausable. For one, it actually has an engine compartment.
Land Raider is a bit larger WW1 Mark IV tank with some futuretech. Despite coming from WH40K universe, it is somehow still smaller than Nova tank.

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 14, 2021

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Sankis posted:

Chis Roberts: "Well, you see, the reason is because..."

:trustme: :runs out of the room:

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Couple of pages ago someone linked an event post-mortem. In it, the devs described one of the activities that went well: unloading cargo. Citizens seem to really be into that stuff. Walk around with boxes, stack shelves, farming, ferrying others around. Years ago this thread debated how this might reflect a desire to be accepted and valued for mundane activities. It's a very understandable desire, and I think not necessarily an unhealthy one. Citizens should really try out games like Stardew Valley, that simulate a fulfilled, romanticized, "simple" life. That's where carrying around stuff and gifting it to NPCs is a nice and rewarding game mechanic, it would absolutely scratch the itch that many of the box carriers have, I believe. Unfortunately I also believe they wouldn't accept such a game because it doesn't cater to tropes of toxic masculinity, like greeble guns and military larping that they all do.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

DreadUnknown posted:

That's because the Land Raider was created by dudes who were into tanks and history. They basically took a World War I tank (Mk IV or Mk V) and made it more 40K.

The Robertspanzer was made by some fresh out of school intern while a coked up Hollywood wannabe sniffed behind his shoulder.

Here is my 1:35 Mk IV "Male" for comparison.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Yeah thats such a cool lookin tank, probably my favorite along with the goofy M3 Lee.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Mirificus posted:

The vested interest is material, not financial gain, and despite not being a lawyer, I'm fairly certain that by interfering with CIG's ability to produce the product that we have paid for, if a lawsuit by backers were to prevail, we would be entitled to compensation because we are the injured party in that scenario.

Again, I'm not a lawyer, but I've been sued and I've sued plenty of people in my time. So I'm not totally unfamiliar with how these things work.

To be fair though, you make a good point about the difficulty in try and succeeding in a libel case.

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Star Citizer: Despite not being a lawyer, I'm fairly certain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

DreadUnknown posted:

Yeah thats such a cool lookin tank, probably my favorite along with the goofy M3 Lee.

Yeah, it owns. I got the chance to see one in action at the Tank Museum a few years ago.

They also have this real impressive World War I experience where you go through a set of German trenches, exploring the conditions they lived in etc. Then you start to hear this loud rumbling sound and frightened German voices. You go around a corner in the trenches and...

There's this life size set piece of what it would have been like to be in the trenches the first time the Germans encountered a live tank and I gotta say... you'd have to be a pretty loving brave guy to stand there.

E: I also got to see the "real live" Fury from the movie, Fury, in action. Awful movie, but a really cool tank.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Mar 14, 2021