Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Some games dont even have a charisma stat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

JollyBoyJohn posted:

i bought Fallout 3 on release on 360 and put maybe 70 or 80 hours into it, I had a terrific time, I've went back and mucked about on PC but never really doing anything past the Broken Steel DLC

That game has sooo many memorable moments I could rattle off here, I think I've done this before in this very thread so I'm not going to bore you especially if you dislike the game but so much of that game is fantastically memorable.

That's because Fallout 3 is designed to be a series of moments randomly scattered around the map.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Phigs posted:

That's because Fallout 3 is designed to be a series of moments randomly scattered around the map.

That's all Bethesda games. And the more you avoid the badly written main stories the more fun you will have.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

PinheadSlim posted:

Bethesda took what was a very minor theme from the first two and blew it out of proportion for 3 and 4

I mean you can pretend that isn't the case but I can't imagine why you would do that

edit : It would actually make a lot of sense if you didn't pick up fallout 1 or 2 until you had already enjoyed 3 or 4, or had only watched the intro video on youtube and never actually played it

This strange attempt at gatekeeping is made weirder that you don't seem to recognize

a) 50s design in everything including the goddamn hud, the vault boy, the power armor, the vault - everything in that game
b) missing that 50s being the start of the nuclear arms race
c) the lead art designer literally telling you about how he came up with the 50s thing here and how it was the main theme

I just don't know why you would think this is bethesda coming up with that. It's what gave fallout it unique flavor - postapo 50s with mad-max mixed in.

Flannelette posted:

The original ones had 1950/sci-fi style but it was only before the war and then everything is just wasteland style with busted 1950s style stuff and new stuff that isn't.
Beth fallout is has the first part and also everything after the war revolves around 1950s style too like the world is foreverly stuck in 1950s art deco.
Yeah I guess, but I never really played Fallout 4 and I in F3+NV I don't really remember that much of new tech being stylized. It was only the enclave with any new technology and that was lifted from 2 wholesale.

Vic fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Mar 14, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

They never played the first two games, It's sort of obvious

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Vic posted:

I just don't know why you would think this is bethesda coming up with that. It's what gave fallout it unique flavor - postapo 50s with mad-max mixed in.

It's not about bethesda coming up with it. It's about A Kiss To Build A Dream On being used for a massive tonal shift in the intro to Fallout 2 where it's played right before everyone who listened to it got gunned down mercilessly by the Enclave, with that music never used again because the wasteland is now established as an unforgiving shitworld, and then bethesda was like "what if we just ignored that because BIG IRON is funny"

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

the liberty prime segment seemed really funny in a cynical late 90s kind of way that would have fit in with the original games but couldn’t really have been represented in their engine in any way

anyways i don’t want to sound like some kind of nerd gatekeeper but i started worrying about fallout 4 when it was advertised heavily during important NFL games with ads that were basically a slow zoom out of a garage with a set of power armor. strong “this game is so manly bruh” energy

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The 50's theme was mostly in UI stuff in FO1, and a relatively minor theme. The 'aesthetic' was very much Mad Max 2 for all the terrain, buildings, spritework, weapons, factions, dialogue, etc.

So you're both right, now poo poo up.

edit: I'm not fixing that typo

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Serephina posted:

now poo poo up.

the gently caress do you think I'm doing

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Big iron is obsidian, and the 50's aesthetic is all over 1 and 2, the graphics are just zoomed out and more primitive. Look at the highway man, or the billboard for nuka cola in the boneyard, or nuka cola bottles themselves. Accusing bethesda of being obsessed with 50's aesthetic is asinine when they've only used recreated assets from the first two games, their own oc blade runner factions, or generic wasteland aesthetic.

Sorry they included a radio station to listen to I guess.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

No, poo poo up stupid

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

signalnoise posted:

It's not about bethesda coming up with it. It's about A Kiss To Build A Dream On being used for a massive tonal shift in the intro to Fallout 2 where it's played right before everyone who listened to it got gunned down mercilessly by the Enclave, with that music never used again because the wasteland is now established as an unforgiving shitworld, and then bethesda was like "what if we just ignored that because BIG IRON is funny"

What are y'all smoking? Big Iron is from New Vegas and is about loving cowboys because of the western theme. It wasn't even made by Bethesda.

Fallout one starts with a 1940s song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp2Hwi9qM48

The dichotomy of 50s boom and optimism cut short by thermonuclear war is big letters on the loving tin of original fallout games.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
not having a retro future aesthetic in a fallout game is like not having demons in a doom game.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Big iron is obsidian, and the 50's aesthetic is all over 1 and 2, the graphics are just zoomed out and more primitive. Look at the highway man, or the billboard for nuka cola in the boneyard, or nuka cola bottles themselves. Accusing bethesda of being obsessed with 50's aesthetic is asinine when they've only used recreated assets from the first two games, their own oc blade runner factions, or generic wasteland aesthetic.

Sorry they included a radio station to listen to I guess.

Yeah, no poo poo the aesthetic is there, that isn't the problem. It's never been a problem. 50's stuff is all over, no one has a problem with that being the aesthetic. The problem is going from a bleak as gently caress game with occasional comedic relief to a comedy game peppered with occasional bleakness

Vic posted:

What are y'all smoking? Big Iron is from New Vegas and is about loving cowboys because of the western theme. It wasn't even made by Bethesda.

Fallout one starts with a 1940s song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp2Hwi9qM48

The dichotomy of 50s boom and optimism cut short by thermonuclear war is big letters on the loving tin of original fallout games.

You got me Vic, the entire point was absolutely hinged on which song came from which game

signalnoise fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 14, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Yeah, no poo poo the aesthetic is there, that isn't the problem. It's never been a problem. 50's stuff is all over, no one has a problem with that being the aesthetic. The problem is going from a bleak as gently caress game with occasional comedic relief to a comedy game peppered with occasional bleakness

PinheadSlim posted:

The whole 50s obsession is a Bethesda thing, not an original fallout thing

the plasma pistol was invented by gaston glock ffs

PinheadSlim posted:

PinheadSlim posted:

PinheadSlim posted:

PinheadSlim posted:

signalnoise posted:

Yeah, no poo poo the aesthetic is there, that isn't the problem. It's never been a problem. 50's stuff is all over,no one has a problem with that being the aesthetic. The problem is going from a bleak as gently caress game with occasional comedic relief to a comedy game peppered with occasional bleakness
So your problem is with Fallout 2?

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 14, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yall have no sense of balance

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

If you nuke something it becomes mad max themed by default i mean what the gently caress

This is some kind of mass delusion thing going on

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Reading the Unpopular Videogame Opinions thread almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I can admit to not reading PinheadSlim's post, that's dumb as poo poo

My point stands, in my opinion the 3D Fallouts threw the balance of bleak to comedy entirely out of whack even compared to Fallout 2, and I don't have a problem with tossing NV in there with them.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I could accept that, I feel like F3 is so generally stupid that everything sort of hits a groove I accept, whereas F2 vacillates between super serious, Oh know the Tribes been kidnapped, and "Yo bro wanna play Tragic the Gathering and eat some Cheez Curls?" that it's impossible to take it seriously.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Excelzior posted:

Reading the Unpopular Videogame Opinions thread almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter

I love this thread

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

signalnoise posted:

You got me Vic, the entire point was absolutely hinged on which song came from which game
Yes literally:

signalnoise posted:

What are you even saying? Watching you try to make a point is like watching my nephew lick their elbow

EDIT: Oh sorry there we go:

signalnoise posted:

I can admit to not reading PinheadSlim's post, that's dumb as poo poo

My point stands, in my opinion the 3D Fallouts threw the balance of bleak to comedy entirely out of whack even compared to Fallout 2, and I don't have a problem with tossing NV in there with them.

I guess the whole weird mannequin face staring at you trying to emote throws any attempt at seriousness into garbage by default. All the fallout 1 jokes were in the text dialogue and the world itself was played pretty straight. Also there was not a lot of text in Fallout in general.

Vic fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Mar 14, 2021

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
war... war never changes.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

I could accept that, I feel like F3 is so generally stupid that everything sort of hits a groove I accept, whereas F2 vacillates between super serious, Oh know the Tribes been kidnapped, and "Yo bro wanna play Tragic the Gathering and eat some Cheez Curls?" that it's impossible to take it seriously.

Yeah I appreciate contrast a lot. The tonal shift in Fallout 2's intro is good, just like YAKUZA, JOLLYBOYJOHN, YAKUZA! where they swing between very serious melodrama and sidequests and minigames that are drat near a parody of the reset of the game. Bethesda games turn everything into a tonal smudge. In Elder Scrolls they try to stick to serious and fail miserably at it because the games are broken in a way that I could call the contrast "emergent comedy" or something, but they simply cannot maintain any sense of urgency or gravity for the story. In Fallout 3, they smudged the comedy element across the whole game in addition to being bad at being serious. New Vegas tried harder to have some contrast, but ultimately landed on Benny. Anyways if this is my unpopular videogame opinion, so be it

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Vic posted:

Yes literally:

What are you even saying? Watching you try to make a point is like watching my nephew lick their elbow

He's just rattled from me dunking on Yakuza again

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Vic posted:

I fully accept that this is who you are

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

signalnoise posted:

I fully accept that this is who you are

We got ourselves a fallout, people

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Fallout is dead. Long live Wasteland

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Even though I own an original boxed copy of Fallout, complete with the spiral bound instruction manual and tasty Sugar Bombs recipe, it's game play mechanics are very clumsy by today's standards.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can vibe with that, I feel the exact opposite, F2 was so jokey that by the time I got to San Fran I just shot everysingle fucker in my path until I got to the end. F3 was a little too jokey but NV I felt struck a good balance

tango alpha delta posted:

Even though I own an original boxed copy of Fallout, complete with the spiral bound instruction manual and tasty Sugar Bombs recipe, it's game play mechanics are very clumsy by today's standards.

I think they hold up pretty well once you get to say the Hub, the opening can feel really rough though

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I am looking forward to the SaGa Frontier remaster

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

I can vibe with that, I feel the exact opposite, F2 was so jokey that by the time I got to San Fran I just shot everysingle fucker in my path until I got to the end. F3 was a little too jokey but NV I felt struck a good balance

I think they hold up pretty well once you get to say the Hub, the opening can feel really rough though

I played the original Fallout 2 without all the fan patches required to make it not completely busted, so I just remember it as the completely broken Fallout game where they seemed to have spent all their time adding lame jokes to everything rather than get anything actually working.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

signalnoise posted:

I am looking forward to the SaGa Frontier remaster

I don't know why but I am as well despite not understanding a single thing about that game as a kid, which didnt stop me from getting the sequel either lol

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

That loving Sned posted:

Mods are good when they aren't creepy or being exploited by publishers. I completed MGSV 100% on PS4, but I could've saved hours on the PC version by using the Infinite Heaven mod to skip the minute-long helicopter ride at the start of every mission.

my take is a little different, if mods want to be gross then more power to them. i wont necessarily be interesting in PLAYING it but i strongly encourage using art as an outlet for your most hosed up imaginings

my little pony fallout is magic? keep rockin in the free world brother just keep that poo poo far away from me

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Fur20 posted:

my little pony fallout is magic? keep rockin in the free world brother just keep that poo poo far away from me

I am far more okay with people wanting to virtual gently caress cartoon ponies than I am with people wanting to virtual gently caress dismembered women

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

signalnoise posted:

I am far more okay with people wanting to virtual gently caress cartoon ponies than I am with people wanting to virtual gently caress dismembered women

I know I skimmed some of the posts this morning, but was this a thing or are you bringing it up apropos of nothing?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Meme Poker Party posted:

I know I skimmed some of the posts this morning, but was this a thing or are you bringing it up apropos of nothing?

Mentioned earlier that I was banned from fallout nexus for calling out a mod with this kind of poo poo as bad

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

signalnoise posted:

Mentioned earlier that I was banned from fallout nexus for calling out a mod with this kind of poo poo as bad

As much as I love good mods, the modding community is the absolute worst. So many weirdos.

Even with the good mods, the creators are usually extremely fragile towards any feedback and good mods often die out because the author throws a tantrum and forbids anyone to continue working on the mod.

I'm my mind, modding should be an open source activity. Especially in Skyrim where combatibility with other mods is an important aspect.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
video games and open source have never mixed and they look to never will

(cuz a lotta open source is explicitly corporate funded for strategic reasons, and video game peeps dont have permanent relations to each other or enough business customers for this to ever make sense)

linux and bsd wouldnt be nearly as popular if the goog, intel, amd and others didnt wanna gank microsoft and apple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
also: its great that the peeps who made fallout good took a whatever years break for whatever number of years, maybe they got to see their kids again