Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Admittedly I kind of like the piledriver being a killshot but I've been watching some Memphis stuff lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Admittedly I kind of like the piledriver being a killshot but I've been watching some Memphis stuff lately.

I mean, piledriver variants are still popular as finishes, people just put some extra stank on 'em now.

You know on that subject, Kip Sabian should adopt Jerry Lynn's cradle piledriver.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The gotch Piledriver is my favorite Piledriver right now and if you don't agree Suzukk will be mad

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i agree that it's your fave. hwa ha ha

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Everyone should adopt Jerry Lynn's cradle piledriver.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SatoshiMiwa posted:

The gotch Piledriver is my favorite Piledriver right now and if you don't agree Suzukk will be mad

I mean, Lynn's is the same thing, he just does the between the legs hook after picking them up, but it ends in the exact same place.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
could someone give a brief overview of the role of women in lucha libre in the 70s and 80s? I find luchadoras really interesting but it's hard to find information from earlier time periods and I'm not that knowledgeable about lucha in the first place. How were they treated (by fans and promoters) in comparison to women in Japan and the US at the time? who are some big names i should know? I know Pantera Sureña but that's about it.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

So....which is the better Tanahashi opening theme - High Energy or Love and Energy? if you asked me when the switch was made I would of said High Energy 100% but now? I think I lean towards Love and Energy

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

High Energy is still better

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

High Energy is still better

Counterpoint: GO ACE

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
Who are some of the better known wrestlers that wrestle left handed? Only two I can think of are Miz and Regal.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Koskinator posted:

Who are some of the better known wrestlers that wrestle left handed? Only two I can think of are Miz and Regal.

Basically all luchadors, I think?

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Low Desert Punk posted:

could someone give a brief overview of the role of women in lucha libre in the 70s and 80s? I find luchadoras really interesting but it's hard to find information from earlier time periods and I'm not that knowledgeable about lucha in the first place. How were they treated (by fans and promoters) in comparison to women in Japan and the US at the time? who are some big names i should know? I know Pantera Sureña but that's about it.

I'm by no means an expert in actual lucha, but I am Mexican. I wouldn't expect a luchadoras popping up. We have a very problematic relationship with women in general. When I was a kid in the 90's all I head was about the Apaches, and them eventually Sexy Star came in. I can't pinpoint exactly when, but it was really gradual.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

forkboy84 posted:

Probably vs Sabu & The Tazmaniac from ECW Hardcore TV 31/1/95, which somehow got ****1/4 from Meltzer. Or the No Rope Barb Wire match against the Funks from Heatwave 94. And I dunno, one of their matches with the Steiners in WCW I guess is in consideration

But honestly, the matches really aren't why Public Enemy were fun to watch, it was the promos, it was the incredibly dumb characters, the spectacle.
That Sabu/Taz match from Florida, while I haven't watched it in a long time, probably does hold up better than most Public Enemy stuff. Much more of a wild, all over the building brawl with less in the way of stunts, dead spots, lousy transitions, etc.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Dawgstar posted:

Chuck Taylor's piledrivers look straight up vile, I'm glad he uses them as finishers more often now.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Koskinator posted:

Terry Funk.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Koskinator posted:

Terry Funk is left-handed. Or do you specifically mean in terms of their stances and if they're more likely to work the right side than other non-luchadores?

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

I recall Michael Cole constantly saying Road Dogg was a lefty, as he would throw a few left jabs followed by a right (and yes, that is clearly a right handed fighting style so I never understood why he said that)

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Cole also used to call a kip-up a "nip-up"

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Nick Jr. Face posted:

That was relatively common, though.

Also, wrestling announcers used to have a bad habit of calling all leftys "southpaws," not understanding that "southpaw" refers to the stance right side forward/left side back stance that some leftys prefer, not the left hand being dominant.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Does Lance Storm still have a wrestling school?

Coz I know when he went back to WWE to be a road agent, (or something similar), he shut it down. But then he was sacked during COVID, because WWE has such a swell HR department.

And I know recently, (again coz of COVID), he is doing match critiques, where he will watch a match, and give a thorough critique with notes and have an in depth zoom conversation with a wrestler about it. Which he is apparently very good at.

But does his school still accept students? It's in Canada, which is presumably dealing with the pandemic better than the USA. So maybe he has gone back to teaching wrestlers.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Nick Jr. Face posted:

I've also heard tip-up. I think it's regional. JR still says nip-up.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

BrigadierSensible posted:

Does Lance Storm still have a wrestling school?

Coz I know when he went back to WWE to be a road agent, (or something similar), he shut it down. But then he was sacked during COVID, because WWE has such a swell HR department.

And I know recently, (again coz of COVID), he is doing match critiques, where he will watch a match, and give a thorough critique with notes and have an in depth zoom conversation with a wrestler about it. Which he is apparently very good at.

But does his school still accept students? It's in Canada, which is presumably dealing with the pandemic better than the USA. So maybe he has gone back to teaching wrestlers.
As far as I know, he hasn't reopened the school. I'm not sure he even has the building or the ring anymore.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I thought he sold all of his wrestling school stuff (like the ring) before he started back at that WWE job?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Ganso Bomb posted:

I thought he sold all of his wrestling school stuff (like the ring) before he started back at that WWE job?

Not sure, but it seemed like he was selling off most everything prior to closing SWA:

https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/1195817376047980545

Storm does say he was physically just wearing down: https://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/1156071-lance-storm-chris-jericho-interview

quote:

The first part of the conversation Lance shares as to why he thought it was the appropriate time to close SWA, citing several reasons, one being that his 50-year old body is feeling the effects of bump-taking a little bit more, something he still does on a regular basis.

“My body has been getting more sore, more tired and because I’m so hands-on, like I still have matches with every student. I’ve been questioning how much longer I can do it. The last couple of years, I’ve had a student, Chris Knight, really good guy, really good friend of mine…but he’s been helping me two days a week to helping me reduce my bump total and so I’ve been looking at that and you know to be honest enrollment has dipped a bit and so I started looking with what’s the financial pluses and what’s the physical pluses and with my kids now being adults, my oldest daughter lives on her own now and my youngest is 19, the need for me to stay home full-time isn’t as much so I started weighing the options and I reached out to a few places to see what my options are and came to the conclusion that my best option isn’t Storm Wrestling Academy anymore.”

He started with WWE in December 2019, informed WWE his travel insurance wouldn't cover a hospital stay in March, furloughed in April, and officially released in July, and hasn't worked since: https://www.sportsnet.ca/wwe/canadian-lance-storm-reflects-whats-next-wwe-release/

So it sounds like he didn't close his school just to work in WWE, but even if he hadn't, he'd still probably be sitting at home.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Lance is doing match critique and analysis through Zoom now for like 100 bucks a pop. It seems like he's doing really really well with it. His notes are also really interesting to read

https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/1370966385854050306

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Low Desert Punk posted:

Lance is doing match critique and analysis through Zoom now for like 100 bucks a pop. It seems like he's doing really really well with it. His notes are also really interesting to read

https://twitter.com/LanceStorm/status/1370966385854050306

It's good stuff, but very stream of consciousness as he's watching; it would benefit the worker to have it organized/in bullet format.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Low Desert Punk posted:

Lance on the business has always been a fascinating read. On his website he did a great series just going through all the Clash of Champions.

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!
How is Lance not a guy Tony Khan tries to bring in as a coach/agent?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

smikey posted:

How is Lance not a guy Tony Khan tries to bring in as a coach/agent?

i think lance is avoiding traveling anywhere right now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

It's good stuff, but very stream of consciousness as he's watching; it would benefit the worker to have it organized/in bullet format.

Why? The wrestlers themselves are giving it rave reviews, why change what is working extremely well?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

Why? The wrestlers themselves are giving it rave reviews, why change what is working extremely well?

It would just be easier to read and reference again later. Then again, Dave Meltzer never used a proofreader.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

It would just be easier to read and reference again later. Then again, Dave Meltzer never used a proofreader.

The notes are just a jumping off point for the 1 on 1 session you get with Lance to discuss the match and notes.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Just do the onlyfans Lance

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

oldpainless posted:

See why they called him "Lance" to begin with.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

oldpainless posted:

"if I can be sensual for a moment..."

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
A conversation about Multi Level Marketing in the WWE thread made me wonder - what would a wrestling mlm gimmick look like?

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

A conversation about Multi Level Marketing in the WWE thread made me wonder - what would a wrestling mlm gimmick look like?

Simon Dean/Nova?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
You teach people how to wrestle so they can become big stars; the ones who don't become big stars become wrestling teachers. There's another version of this scam called "college."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

smikey posted:

Simon Dean/Nova?

That was a tv workout personality gimmick, right?

I mean more like a wrestler running a pyramid scheme within the confines of the show somehow.