Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The plp are all so loving awful

https://twitter.com/faith_e_taylor/status/1370838400400523277?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Tiananmen
Tahrir
Maidan
Clapham Common

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/moniqueroffey/status/1371022514919464964?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Kieth is a really good leader for the labour party

https://twitter.com/shirleymush/status/1371033639434194944?s=19

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Keith has been the rubber stamp giving the OK to nearly all the major state crimes against the public in the last 20 years or so

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1371048684587257859?s=19

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

News update:
https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1371060740296151041

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
wtf, so the bill stated in very clear terms that somebody could be sentenced to 10 years in prison if the police decided that somebody was at risk of being annoyed?! Like, if I said that to someone there is 0% chance they would believe me, it would pass without comment because people simply wouldn't believe that that is what the bill stated.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Dravs posted:

wtf, so the bill stated in very clear terms that somebody could be sentenced to 10 years in prison if the police decided that somebody was at risk of being annoyed?! Like, if I said that to someone there is 0% chance they would believe me, it would pass without comment because people simply wouldn't believe that that is what the bill stated.

hypernormalisation awwooooo (wolf howL)

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Tbf keir probably realised that he himself would have to be arrested for regularly committing acts of serious annoyance so decided to vote against

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

It's the same with the spycops bill, they authorised any government department to commit any crime, specifically including rape and murder, if they can prove they thought it would protect the financial interests of London.

That's so comically deranged that nobody can talk about it.

It is just the tories pushing through the most insane wishlist authoritarian poo poo possible because kier will support it.

Presumably he's only voting against this next bill because he thinks it will pass anyway.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
on the one hand it's better that they vot against it than not, on the other hand keith still shouldn't get any credit because it took some unignorable police brutality immediately beforehand to shame him into doing so

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Its funny that people like starmer are some of the last people in history to ever have it good.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
"I'm sorry you were offended" is now an admission of guilt, and every conservative will be imprisoned immediately.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Jose posted:

Kieth is a really good leader for the labour party

https://twitter.com/shirleymush/status/1371033639434194944?s=19

i must say that i don’t know anybody who didn’t think he was completely innocent by the time he was merked by the police

maybe the usual talking heads, but even they had to spin it pretty hard

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i guess they would have been too demoralised anyway but RLB and her team really shoulda loving mentioned any of kier's history or gone on the attack at all.

his entire career is just a massive array of disqualifying poo poo

we need someone to actually run on the "keith is a spook" platform because its a very persuasive narrative

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Dravs posted:

if it were further explained that it was passing in the uk no one would doubt it for a second

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/UnitePolitics/status/1370865838140571648

The people voted for pain.

genericnick has issued a correction as of 18:35 on Mar 14, 2021

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

So you're just sliding comfortably into actual fascism now, neat

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

[UK]Protect Churchill At All Costs

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ed: drat that was quick!

Runcible Cat has issued a correction as of 21:07 on Mar 14, 2021

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/DCBMEP/status/1371185828077170694?s=20

quote:

Former Cons MEP for East of England. Strategic consultant, writer and campaigner. Inventor ‘SuperCanada’ UK/EU Free Trade Deal. Pro Brexit. RTs NOT endorsements

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

IIRC he's related to former Liberal PM Henry Campbell Bannerman. Because this country is nothing if not full of failure grandkids of ex politicians

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I love the tories and the police and hate the antisemite c*rbyn. Brexit means brexit and I support it wholeheartedly. Just wanted to get that posted, for the record. I also love our papers.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I love the tories and the police and hate the antisemite c*rbyn. Brexit means brexit and I support it wholeheartedly. Just wanted to get that posted, for the record. I also love our papers.

Are you bloody well against the monarchy? Not a single word about the Queen!

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
And where's your fuckin' poppy?

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Can't believe Jeremy Corbyn killed a woman in police custody to make our brave boys in blue look bad.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
What is a supercanada

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

one of the best ever things to happen while corbyn was leader was his car being driven away and crushing the foot of a bbc journalist

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

Tom Smykowski posted:

What is a supercanada

it's like regular Canada but with twice the Tim Hortons

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

incredible that jezza still has the energy to hurt labor this much at this age

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/tempers-fray-among-expats-as-brexit-rules-cast-shadow-over-costa-sunspots-fb5c37dbp

quote:

Tempers fray among expats as Brexit rules cast shadow over Costa sunspots

Britons who planned a retirement in Spain are leaving rather than struggle with bureaucracy, travel curbs and fees

The Brexit vote was nearly five years ago, but the battle continues in Spain where the largest British expatriate community in Europe is at loggerheads over who is to blame for ending their idyll.

Tempers are running high over a welter of paperwork and post-Brexit rules depriving British visitors of the freedom to come and go as they please as well as requiring them to apply for residency cards and Spanish driving licences. It has forced many to abandon their sunny retirement and resettle in the UK.

Brexiteers and remainers are blaming each other. Gareth Thomas, 69, a former RAF engineer from Kent who lives in the hills outside Benidorm on the Costa Blanca, does not dare visit his favourite bar these days for fear of being attacked as an opponent of Brexit.

“I have been threatened with violence,” said the retired geography teacher. “I was told if I didn’t shut up this person was going to smash my face in. Brexiteers target people like me because they think if we ‘traitors’ had kept our mouths shut, it would have been plain sailing and we would have got a better deal from Europe.”

Between 800,000 and a million Britons are estimated to own a second home in Spain, and they were allowed to vote in the referendum as long as they had been registered to vote in Britain in the previous 15 years.

Brexiteers also have been feeling the heat. Mark Sampson, a former bar owner and fervent Brexiteer, said: “I get remainers trying to tell me their arguments. I’ve had a few shouting at me in bars. I am 6ft tall and 20 stone so no one’s going to take me on in a fight, but if they want to talk about Brexit, I give them both barrels.”

British-only enclaves along the “Costas” are Brexiteer hotbeds notorious for their unwillingness to integrate with Spanish society. The top three areas for Brits are the Costa del Sol in the south, the Costa Blanca further north and the Canary Islands. The Balearics are also popular. “They think they’re the best in the world these little Englanders,” said Baz Rhodes, a pensioner and paragliding guide who lives further inland. “The ones who voted for Brexit should keep their gobs shut.”

Rhodes, who is from Essex but has lived in Spain for two decades, said Brexit had complicated his happy retirement. “It’s taken away a lot of rights that we had. Now we need to get private medical insurance, which is expensive and hard to afford on my pension. I’ve had no earnings since the end of 2019.”

Since just before the referendum in 2016, the number of Britons registered as resident in Spain has fallen by 20,000 to 262,885. An even greater number, though, are thought to have taken advantage of the EU’s freedom of movement to live in Spain “under the radar”, without registering, and returning to the UK whenever they needed medical attention.

Those days are over. Now, like all other foreigners from outside the EU, British visitors who were once able to come and go on a whim will be limited to stays of 90 days within every 180 days. Those wishing to register as residents will have to jump through a number of bureaucratic hoops to prove earnings of £2,000 a month — and £500 more for each dependent — as well as acquire Spanish driving licences.

The end of the transition period on December 31 prompted a rush of applicants for residency cards before the new earnings requirement took effect. But the paperwork has proved taxing for many expats who speak little Spanish. Others who let properties in Spain are put off by the far higher tax they will have to pay as non-EU citizens.

“The Sunday roast, fish and chips brigade, have taken a big hit. A lot have thrown the keys back and buggered off,” said Julian Charter, an estate agent and former pub landlord from Newbury, Berkshire, living in southern Spain, who added that the pandemic had also contributed to this outflow.

Michel Euesden, owner of Euro Weekly, an English language newspaper in southern Spain, said: “Removal companies have never been busier. There’s an abundance of people leaving.”

Daphne Vallins, 64, has returned from southern Spain to live with her mother in Leatherhead, Surrey. “I did not want to apply for residence status. It would mean paying £100 a month in private health insurance, changing my UK driving licence into a Spanish one and having to pay my taxes in Spain,” she said.

Among those affected are so-called “swallows”, Britons with second homes in Spain who used to come and go as they pleased but will now have their passports stamped with entry visas limiting them to three months in Spain like other tourists from outside the EU. They are dispirited.

“We decided that it was all too much if we could only spend 90 days there,” said Chantal Purdy, a retired school examiner who, with her husband David, moved home to Hinckley, Leicestershire, last year for good.

“We are very sad as we adore our house in Spain. We never imagined that Brexit would stop all this. It is awful.”

Euesden said: “We were warning about the consequences of Brexit, but nobody took any notice. Now our lives have changed for ever.”

She was optimistic about the future, though, joking that today’s exodus was not as great as when a pirated satellite television service ceased operating in a giant British housing estate in Orihuela, near Murcia, a few years ago. “Suddenly they couldn’t get their Coronation Street. There weren’t enough trucks to take them all back.”

While many Britons are leaving “because they can’t get their favourite English sausages”, others are arriving, including many intent on escaping UK lockdowns for sunnier climes, and “digital nomads”, Euesden said.

“Spain was let down by people who didn’t have anything to offer,” she said. “But now I think people who’ll come will be a bit different.” Referring to job-seekers and “digital nomads”, she added: “They will be people who are earning their living.”

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Articles like that are the only thing keeping me going at this point.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

gonadic io posted:

Articles like that are the only thing keeping me going at this point.

I don't know what the exact voting breakdown is, but I'd bet on 75%+ of the British expats in Spain voting leave.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
just incredible. i wish i could have their potent powers of delusion

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

hello im british and retired. i wear a poppy every remembrance day. i moved to spain in 2002 and voted leave in 2016.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I've never been to Spain, or even looked at a picture of Spain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

bedpan posted:

hello im british and retired. i wear a poppy every remembrance day. i moved to spain in 2002 and voted leave in 2016.

Now I live in Leatherhead.