Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Krakkles posted:

To add to this, the math is pretty simple: 13/32" is 26/64", which is 1/64" more than 25/64".

While 1/64" is pretty drat small and it's entirely likely it's correct, I would definitely question the skills of whoever designed that part. You're right that "either" drill size instructions are, uh, not common.

13/32" is 9.9mm, 25/64" is 10.3mm - maybe it's 10mm in metric to begin with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

melon cat posted:

RE: drill bit sizing: thanks fellas. I'll contact the manufacturer and ask them what the deal is. Because not only do I need to widen the existing holes, but I also need to pop in some threaded rivets using a rivet nut tool (M6 mandrel). So the sizing really has to be perfect, and I'm guessing that a 1/64" of a differential could mess with the shield install.

They could be. But is there any possibility that your check engine light bulb is burnt out, or you were ignoring it? Also what year is your Explorer?

I suspect they're recommend either because the hole will be fine with either size bit. Use whichever you have and don't worry about it.

If you've got both, use the smaller one (25/64). If it turns out to be a bit tight you can enlarge it with the other.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

melon cat posted:

RE: drill bit sizing: thanks fellas. I'll contact the manufacturer and ask them what the deal is. Because not only do I need to widen the existing holes, but I also need to pop in some threaded rivets using a rivet nut tool (M6 mandrel). So the sizing really has to be perfect, and I'm guessing that a 1/64" of a differential could mess with the shield install.

Also time to brush up on my compound fractions mathematics :downs:

luminalflux posted:

13/32" is 9.9mm, 25/64" is 10.3mm - maybe it's 10mm in metric to begin with?
According to some light googling, it is!

Deteriorata posted:

I suspect they're recommend either because the hole will be fine with either size bit. Use whichever you have and don't worry about it.

If you've got both, use the smaller one (25/64). If it turns out to be a bit tight you can enlarge it with the other.
This is 100% the right answer.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy
Where is a good place to buy reasonably priced wheels? Or maybe used wheels in good shape?

I recently bought a 2017 Acura RLX and it’s a nice car but the stock “fan” wheels are soooooo bad. I’ve never been a wheel guy, but these have to go.

I just want something more sporty looking. I don’t need high performance exotic wheels that cost thousands. Just something to make the car look less like a 90s reject.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I've taken to getting used wheels from the wreckers. They're usually the nicest condition, but I don't super care. I think the place I went to had a grading system where you can pay more for stuff that isn't rashed up.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Xarthor posted:

Where is a good place to buy reasonably priced wheels? Or maybe used wheels in good shape?

I recently bought a 2017 Acura RLX and it’s a nice car but the stock “fan” wheels are soooooo bad. I’ve never been a wheel guy, but these have to go.

I just want something more sporty looking. I don’t need high performance exotic wheels that cost thousands. Just something to make the car look less like a 90s reject.
I got my alloys from Costco, but I'm in Canada and I'm not sure how different the US offerings are if you're located there. They look like this and have that generic looking blue "Wheels" logo. I had to take my Prius to a local Toyota dealership last year and one of their Techs actually asked me in a hushed, secretive tone where I got my wheels because apparently their fitment is really good. It was a pretty good endorsement for the Costco wheels.

Krakkles posted:

This is 100% the right answer.
Will go smaller and hope for the best.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

melon cat posted:

Also time to brush up on my compound fractions mathematics :downs:

They could be. But is there any possibility that your check engine light bulb is burnt out, or you were ignoring it? Also what year is your Explorer?

It's a 2012 Limited. It seems to function as normal when you start the car. It would be hard to miss, since it's right below the lcd screens. 100% positive that it was not reporting anything and had no warning lights when I dropped it off at 8am but magically by 9:30 the moment they put their hands on it there are all these issues with it. It's Les Schwab for what it's worth.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Not saying they aren't full of poo poo, maybe they are. But keep in mind that check engine lights come on when they feel like it. Not just when the registered owner is driving. I drove my brother's car years ago and the check engine light came on when I was driving it. So obviously I broke that poo poo. Or did something to break that poo poo....... I didn't.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Xarthor posted:

Depends on what you want to pay of course but there are various internet websites that have nice options. I don't think junkyard takeoffs are a great option as they tend to be OEM, but the RLX shares bolt patterns with various other Hondas and Acuras so you might be able to find takeoffs from another car whose wheels you like. Downside: pretty much all modern Honda wheels are ghastly, so this will be hard.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

wesleywillis posted:

Not saying they aren't full of poo poo, maybe they are. But keep in mind that check engine lights come on when they feel like it. Not just when the registered owner is driving. I drove my brother's car years ago and the check engine light came on when I was driving it. So obviously I broke that poo poo. Or did something to break that poo poo....... I didn't.

Now I'm freaked out because everything I read says as soon as the low pressure warning is received shut it down and don't run it or it will seize the engine.
I tried calling the closest auto repair place with a good reputation to the place my car is at and they are only open from 9-12 currently. WTF? I feel like I just cannot catch a break recently.

Xarthor
Nov 11, 2003

Need Ink or Toner for
Your Printer?

Check out my
Thread in SA-Mart!

Lipstick Apathy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Depends on what you want to pay of course but there are various internet websites that have nice options. I don't think junkyard takeoffs are a great option as they tend to be OEM, but the RLX shares bolt patterns with various other Hondas and Acuras so you might be able to find takeoffs from another car whose wheels you like. Downside: pretty much all modern Honda wheels are ghastly, so this will be hard.

I’m completely fine with non-Acura or Honda branded wheels. I’m not a brand whore I just want non ugly wheels. I know TireRack is a popular site. Any other suggestions for websites?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

otter posted:

Now I'm freaked out because everything I read says as soon as the low pressure warning is received shut it down and don't run it or it will seize the engine.
I tried calling the closest auto repair place with a good reputation to the place my car is at and they are only open from 9-12 currently. WTF? I feel like I just cannot catch a break recently.

How much oil is on the dipstick?

I have no idea what I'm talking about here: Maybe the hit was enough to temporarily upset the sensor, so it recorded the fault, but since it wasn't ongoing the light didn't come on?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Colostomy Bag posted:

If you're lucky, an axle tag.

Ahh poo poo I have two of those rattling in my glove box because I forgot.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Xarthor posted:

I’m completely fine with non-Acura or Honda branded wheels. I’m not a brand whore I just want non ugly wheels. I know TireRack is a popular site. Any other suggestions for websites?

ebay motors is pretty good tbh

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
It may have cracked the oil pan too and it just took this long to drain to the danger level, but I'd want my eyes on it before authorizing any work

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I don't think junkyard takeoffs are a great option as they tend to be OEM,

This is a plus for me. I've gotten cheap wheels and then not been able to find a replacement when one broke, requiring me to buy a whole other set. I'd rather pay more for a junkyard OEM take off knowing there will be millions of spares out there.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

there are advantages but the OP specifically did not like the style of the OEM wheels and to be honest Honda/Acura OEM wheels since roughly 2015 are awful

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Rock Auto sells oem wheels. Look for something you like with correct bolt pattern etc. Might not be that expensive plus they'll be new so no corrosion.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

word.

Outrail posted:

How much oil is on the dipstick?

I have no idea what I'm talking about here: Maybe the hit was enough to temporarily upset the sensor, so it recorded the fault, but since it wasn't ongoing the light didn't come on?

right in the middle of the crosshash area of the fill level. I took it to another car repair place, he thinks it is the sensor so I'm taking it in on Monday. I drove it to the repair place (9 blocks), then home (2.5 miles from the repair place) and it runs and sounds just fine. No clicking, no ticking, no grinding, whining or anything.

Also god drat my stock stereo in the explorer sounds better than the one in my wife's car which I had to drive back to and leave at Les Schwab.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I'm getting some shaking under hard braking so I think I have a warped rotor, or maybe drum although I don't know if drum brakes do that. How do I test each of them to see if that's the issue, and if so which axle it's on?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Rotors really don't warp under normal road conditions. It's pad deposits/detempering that make them feel like what you've heard "warped rotors" are. But drums don't really make that feeling happen either.

So yeah, you almost definitely need a set of brakes and rotors. And you need to not ride them and/or stop hard and then keep you foot on the brakes while they are still ripping hot from that while at a dead stop.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, that's nice and simple. I was thinking I needed pads soon anyway, and a pair of plain rotors doesn't add much to that cost.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

You can *usually* figure out if its front or rear by stopping with the parking brake. Assuming you have a hand brake (that is adjusted properly and working correctly), if its the rears, you will feel the pulsing in the handle. This might work if you have a pedal for the parking brake as well, but I've never tried it myself. If your parking brake is working correctly and you feel it in the handle, then you know that at least your rears need doing. Doesn't mean that both don't need repair however.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Folks, I have a 06 Honda Odyssey that's throwing all the engine codes for misfires. P0300, which is "misfire somewhere", and P0301 through P0306, for each cylinder misfiring, as well as P0344, the camshaft position sensor.

I know the typical thing to do for morons like me is to start pulling and replacing all the parts. I'm also seeing online via searching that some people say that a single bad ignition coil will trip all those same codes for them on that engine. Where do I start?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I want to replace the shocks on my 2002 ZX2. It is not a race car so I don't particularly care about performance beyond what it came with stock, but if there's a choice I would lean towards a quieter/softer ride.

For this application is there any real difference between, say, the $65 Duralast strut assemblies at Autozone and the $120 Monroe ones at O'Reilly?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

canyoneer posted:

Folks, I have a 06 Honda Odyssey that's throwing all the engine codes for misfires. P0300, which is "misfire somewhere", and P0301 through P0306, for each cylinder misfiring, as well as P0344, the camshaft position sensor.

I know the typical thing to do for morons like me is to start pulling and replacing all the parts. I'm also seeing online via searching that some people say that a single bad ignition coil will trip all those same codes for them on that engine. Where do I start?

That almost sounds like the timing belt jumped a tooth. How long has it been since it was changed?

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Crossposting here.

Changing the right CV boot on my 2005 Subaru Outback.
Can't get shaft out.
Discovered it looks like shaft has moved out half an inch or so from transmission.
Can't get it to move in in but everything bolts up fine??

simplefish posted:

I went with a new boot as I wasn't getting a clicking sound.

I watched this very helpful video on youtube:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bf8uRTjfxsk

I then realised mine doesn't have all that lovely space, but instead has an exhaust cat directly in the way.
He's working on a 4 cylinder's left side, mine's 6 cylinder and on the right.

Anyway, I got up to where the metal clip from the cup comes out.
The problem was I couldn't get the shaft out at all to be able to do the roller circlip.

I turned the wheel as far as I could before the brake line got taut, and the shaft wasn't coming far enough out.

It looks like something's shifted maybe, where the shaft meets the transmission.
Here's left and right for comparison.

Left (front of car = bottom of picture)

Right (front of car = left of picture)

Two things jump out at me:
The Right one is half an inch or so exposed beyond the transmission.
Not sure if it shifted before I dropped out the camber bolt or what but it's not going back in even with steering straight and bolts done up.
But that shiny machined look suggests it's recent?

The chunk of casting missing where it meets the transmission.
Don't know if it'd have an effect.
I do know that didn't happen while I was working on it though.

Does anyone have any ideas of if those are major issues?

As I can't get the shaft out, I'm going to take it to the garage to get the boot changed.
That exposed bit also makes me kinda nervous.
Plus the vehicle needs re-inspecting as that's expired too.
So I'll let them handle it.

Bonus is not having to clean up all the grease.

I did learn from this though, I knew notging about the CV joint before.
I would be happy to attempt it in a better circumstance.
I learnt that I need a jack that goes higher, so I can set the stands higher, my body touches the car when I'm under it.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

STR posted:

That almost sounds like the timing belt jumped a tooth. How long has it been since it was changed?

50k miles or so.

Good news: I realize that I never reset the engine codes from when I changed the camshaft position sensor a few weeks ago :doh:
I cleared them and then drove around all day and haven't heard a peep from it, so I'll take the W for now.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I'm trying to finish fixing my Fit's EGR valve. I cleaned it so it's no longer stuck, but I'm now getting P0405 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit Low. The pot/sensor is getting a 5V reference so that seems ok. I couldn't follow the troubleshooting steps further because they tell me to plug in some sort of proprietary diagnostic doohickey into different harnesses.

I've seen that some cars expose the desired and actual EGR valve position through ODBII, which would clear up the issue immediately. I can't see it in Torque using the cheapo BT ELM dongle. Could this be a limitation of the dongle, Torque, or the car just doesn't show these values?

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

simplefish posted:

Crossposting here.

Changing the right CV boot on my 2005 Subaru Outback.
Can't get shaft out.
Discovered it looks like shaft has moved out half an inch or so from transmission.
Can't get it to move in in but everything bolts up fine??

Oof, looks like you've dislocated the axle shaft (12, below) out of the front diff. That can happen if you unbolt the hub from the strut and let it drop while the driveshaft/axle roll pin is still holding the axle to the axle shaft.

The part 9 tensions the bearing iirc and can be broken if someone is trying to turn it with a drift.

No idea what the consequences of this are, hopefully it's just an 'axle seal r/r' on top of the axle swap or rebuild.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
edit

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

monsterzero posted:

Oof, looks like you've dislocated the axle shaft (12, below) out of the front diff. That can happen if you unbolt the hub from the strut and let it drop while the driveshaft/axle roll pin is still holding the axle to the axle shaft.

The part 9 tensions the bearing iirc and can be broken if someone is trying to turn it with a drift.

No idea what the consequences of this are, hopefully it's just an 'axle seal r/r' on top of the axle swap or rebuild.

Oh poo poo, sounds expensive

If anyone has any more info please let me know

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

monsterzero posted:

Didn't the Legacy/Outback get rid of the roll pin for 05+? I mean, there's definitely some innies exposed, but that looks nothing like the stub + roll pin setup I have on my 03.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Mar 15, 2021

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

Is it just a case of shove it back in?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Hopefully it is, but wait for monsterzero to reply, or maybe crosspost into the Subaru thread if you haven't already. There's a circlip that may have fallen inside of the diff. I only know a little bit about 00-04 Outbacks (enough to be dangerous), 05 went to a different half shaft setup.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Mar 15, 2021

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Ongoing investigation into why my fuel economy sucks rear end, week 12:

https://i.imgur.com/QY4U8Lb.gifv

How bad is this (sound on)? I'm not the weakest human alive but it took a little effort to rotate like that.

e:vv duly noted, cheers.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Mar 15, 2021

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Outrail posted:

Ongoing investigation into why my fuel economy sucks rear end, week 12:

How bad is this (sound on)? I'm not the weakest human alive but it took a little effort to rotate like that.

Don't put image tags on a gifv. It's actually a video file.

https://i.imgur.com/QY4U8Lb.gifv

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

STR posted:

Hopefully it is, but wait for monsterzero to reply, or maybe crosspost into the Subaru thread if you haven't already. There's a circlip that may have fallen inside of the diff. I only know a little bit about 00-04 Outbacks (enough to be dangerous), 05 went to a different half shaft setup.

Sorry, didn't realize this wasn't a 2nd gen Outback. My knowledge is limited to first/second gens as well and the image I linked was more illustrative than definitive.

simplefish posted:

Is it just a case of shove it back in?

Hopefully someone in the Subaru thread can be more specific.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

2011 Honda Civic, about 32k miles.

Anybody know what might be causing the TPMS sensor to go off?

I recently had a leak in my rear right tire and I went to an Official And Presumably Trustworthy Honda Dealership to get it fixed. Apparently, it required repairing/replacing the pressure input and TMPS sensor on the wheel. It looks like this right now:

(Pressure readings gave me about 35psi.)

The fix went in about a week and a half ago or something. Recently, I was driving to a friend’s house, and the TPMS sensor suddenly came on. I was loving pissed at first, but I checked the pressure on the tires and all of them still seem to be well pressurized, including the one that was fixed. So now, I’m just kinda confused.

When I was checking the tires, I noticed that the tire that got its sensor replaced was harder to get a pressure reading for. I have to push into it a bit hard and it’s not a blast of air like the others, it’s slower and quieter. I’ve never seen this before, and it’s real weird.

While I’m waiting on the dealership to call me back and let me ask them what the gently caress they did to my tire, any idea why this might be happening?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Has the ambient temperature changed recently in your area? TPMS sensors can go a little haywire when it gets warm / cold suddenly. They can also get untrained, there should be a retraining procedure you can look up to sort them out. usually this involves some magic button presses and then a bit of driving.

otherwise, it's probably a safe bet that the dealer hosed something up.