Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Does it make noise when you’re out of the saddle? If not, check your seatpost and saddle. Pull the seatpost and clean it and also the inside of the seat tube best you can. Apply appropriate grease or carbon assembly paste and reinstall
Take off the saddle and clean the saddle rails and clamp as well if that doesn’t help
Clean your dropouts and make sure the QR is tight enough
Check your spokes for any loose ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage

Levitate posted:

Does it make noise when you’re out of the saddle? If not, check your seatpost and saddle. Pull the seatpost and clean it and also the inside of the seat tube best you can. Apply appropriate grease or carbon assembly paste and reinstall
Take off the saddle and clean the saddle rails and clamp as well if that doesn’t help
Clean your dropouts and make sure the QR is tight enough
Check your spokes for any loose ones

Same noise both in and out of the saddle. I'll try cleaning the drop outs but I had the wheels off a few days ago and they looked clean at the time. QR skewers are pretty tight. I'll check spokes again.

The noise really seems to be coming from the crank/bottom bracket area. The only other thing I was thinking was if maybe when I installed the pedals a bit of grit got caught between the pedal flange and the crank arm and even though they seem completely tight maybe that could be causing a ticking noise as the pedals get torqued and then unloaded. Has anybody had this happen before? Just trying to come up with ideas here because all the standard stuff seems to check out fine

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I had a squeeking/creaking noise and it was because of my weird super long quick release i have to attach a rear rack. I think I wasn't doing it up tight enough so i put some grease on it, i dunno if this did anything, and tried to get it as tight as possible and that seemed to fix it.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Try disassembling the chainset and grease absolutely every contact surface, where the two rings contact, all around the chainring bolts, where the crank joins the spindle, everything. And use heavy grease like the Park stuff.

Failing that, check for frame for cracks :gonk:

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
Any recs for head and tail lights? The cheapish homes i got on amazon die quickly and take like a full day to charge. I live in a city, so i’m looking for something Very loving Bright to standout to distracted drivers

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
nite rider omega tail light and cygolite ranger headlight

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

Head Bee Guy posted:

Any recs for head and tail lights? The cheapish homes i got on amazon die quickly and take like a full day to charge. I live in a city, so i’m looking for something Very loving Bright to standout to distracted drivers

I have a light & motion taz 1200 and it’s very good. the strap design is stupid so just leave it on your handlebars as much as possible. pretty $$ though

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Head Bee Guy posted:

Rear: Garmin Varia and/or Cygolite Hypershot 350
Front: Cygolite Ranger 1400

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

jan heine (bicycle quarterly) says burrito bags/rando bags probably increase aero and I have a burrito bag so I believe him

Maybe, but this bag sure did:

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

I was just checking out Cygolites on Amazon and they have the Ranger 1200 right now for $82, which is the lowest price anywhere. Not sure how long that’ll last.

Hawkline
May 30, 2002

¡La Raza!

VideoGameVet posted:

Maybe, but this bag sure did:

As someone who has never used a 'bent, or a fairing of any sort, what kind of speed do you cruise at on flat land? How much more efficient does that fairing make a recumbent?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I'm dead

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Hot drat, 100mi in 6 hours is fast as hell (for me at least). Hell yeah.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Noice

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Nice nice nice

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

🥵 I did about 75 miles in about that much time. Impressive.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Mulleted my old 29er XC MTB.

It was an early 29er, so it had very steep geometry which felt rather twitchy on singletrack. It was at the point where I didn't want to carry much speed on it as I would get thrown off as soon as I went near the side of a rut, so I had stopped riding it.

It's now 29" wheel on the front, 27.5 on the back, which slackens the head angle by a degree or two. In photos you can't see the change that well, but i've had the tape measure out and both diameters as built up are correct.

Other things were switching the stem to a short 35mm instead of the original 100mm, and going tubeless so I can run the tyres at ~15psi for much greater compliance.

It feels fantastic now! It wants to yomp down the same singletracks. I honestly wasn't expecting it to feel much different, but this is a great change for was a slightly crappy MTB.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meltie fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Mar 15, 2021

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fenders off, legs out, that's the way we like to ride

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Hawkline posted:

As someone who has never used a 'bent, or a fairing of any sort, what kind of speed do you cruise at on flat land? How much more efficient does that fairing make a recumbent?

GCN just did some videos on faired recumbents and iirc a very fast one reaches 50kph at 160w

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I gave a customer my email address so he could email me his exact fork model so we can order seals for it. He bounces back and forth with a few kinda useless pix but he does tell me what model his bike is. There's two sub models so i ask for a pic of the bike so i can tell which one.

And i get a nice black and white pic.

Lol. Dude. Rad bike and cool pic and all but c'mon.

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

fenders off, legs out, that's the way we like to ride
good
bikes

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Ticked off the first century of the year today. I only started riding again 4 weeks ago really so pleased with that.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Putting the new tires on my wife's bike and I forgot what a pain in the rear end that is to do with your bare hands, christ

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

It's like rain on your last training day
It's a free entry when you've already paid

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
I just found some elevation in the middle of Lake Winnipeg how is your Sunday cycling going?

Edit: Mount Lake Winnipeg

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Mar 14, 2021

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I've had 3 rear punctures from roadside grit in 200 miles. Running a wtb exposure 30mm tire stretched to ~34mm at 55psi. I think I might need something a little stronger back there :/

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

I just found some elevation in the middle of Lake Winnipeg how is your Sunday cycling going?

i really want to try this

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

EvilJoven posted:

What is the ice thickness at the moment out there btw?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
2-5 feet depending on where you are. You have to be careful at the ice ridges but other than that it's golden.

So far I've been tailed by a side by side taking pictures and a fish cop has pulled me over just to chat. It's 8c and I'm riding in just my long sleeve base layer because there's no wind.

This is the perfect day.

Sticky Date
Apr 4, 2009
So I've started doing more climbing rides, and I'm finding that my setup just isn't right for the steep sections at my capability.

Currently have Shimano, 52/36 up front and 11-30 cassette.

For anything but climbing I really like this set up, can always find a nice sweet spot.

I'm thinking I'll need to go to 11-34 but that seems to come with a significant change across the shifting range. The difference between 30 and 32 seems insignificant, but keeps the current ratios the same pretty much.

Only other option is changing up the chainrings? I do like blasting down a long flat fast...anyone been though this thought process before?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sticky Date posted:

So I've started doing more climbing rides, and I'm finding that my setup just isn't right for the steep sections at my capability.

Currently have Shimano, 52/36 up front and 11-30 cassette.

For anything but climbing I really like this set up, can always find a nice sweet spot.

I'm thinking I'll need to go to 11-34 but that seems to come with a significant change across the shifting range. The difference between 30 and 32 seems insignificant, but keeps the current ratios the same pretty much.

Only other option is changing up the chainrings? I do like blasting down a long flat fast...anyone been though this thought process before?

How steep are the gradients? Shimano says the official gap between the front chainrings shouldn’t exceed 16t, but people have run 52/34 without issues. That would certainly be the cheapest option.

If you have a short cage Ultegra RD then an 11-30 cassette is the largest you can officially run, so you’d need to budget for that as well.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Well you can always just keep your 11-30 and cassette is easy enough to try out compared to front chainrings. Your compact front is pretty close to ideal for all scenarios of road riding, especially with the 36 up front. 36x34 should give you a nice easy gear if your RD can even take it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Depending on your crank a cassette change is likely easier than a chainring swap.

I have a 52/36 and 11-32 for climbing on my bike and really like it, ymmv.

A non-standard 52/34 may be an option as well, shifting may suffer or may be just fine, it depends. I ran 53/36 for a long time and it shifted fine.

a patagonian cavy
Jan 12, 2009

UUA CVG 230000 KZID /RM TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF THE BENGALS DYNASTY

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

I've had 3 rear punctures from roadside grit in 200 miles. Running a wtb exposure 30mm tire stretched to ~34mm at 55psi. I think I might need something a little stronger back there :/

gonna keep banging the teravail rampart drum here. I have 2200 commuting miles on mine and they’re going strong

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Due to the whole Canyon purchase, I have two 25mm and two 28mm GP5k TL tires. The Venge is on S-Works Turbos (26mm).

Set up tubeless on a 21mm internal wheel and with a 61kg rider, are 28s still the way to go? I’d prefer faster over comfort but all my reading says the GP5k TLs are faster than the Turbos at any rate. I’d prefer to avoid a staggered setup but I suppose it’s on the table since I have the tires.

Also Canyon still owes me $40 for oval seat rails and hasn’t refunded me. 2 bit operation.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Can confirm the Gp5kTL is fast. Never thought about staggering them. I have 25s on my Cervelo that has wide rear end Belgium+ rims.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

EvilJoven posted:

EvilJoven posted:

2-5 feet depending on where you are. You have to be careful at the ice ridges but other than that it's golden.

So far I've been tailed by a side by side taking pictures and a fish cop has pulled me over just to chat. It's 8c and I'm riding in just my long sleeve base layer because there's no wind.

This is the perfect day.

This is great. I'm jealous. I've been to Winterpeg, in both seasons, this is like the perfect little bonus in between Arctic Windstorm and Mosquito Hell. Your pictures remind me of the late-winter/early-spring bright bright days I've seen of Inuit communities in Nunavut - endless bright white snow on top of ice on top of water under perfect blue skies. Those pictures always include a snowmobile, never a bike. I like your bike.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

thanks, the hubs are cup-n-cone :swoon:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Hawkline posted:

The was in 2000 when I was 42 years old and had been pulling 8500 hilly mile years for a few (commute thru Torry Pines park), and on this model of a bike I managed to do the SDBC 20km (Fiesta Island) TT in 1999 (sans faring) in 31:05. So the speeds I was able to pull with the faring are not really useful for comparison, but it made the bike faster and scarier. I could comfortably pedal with this fairing at 25mph without much effort (the un-faired TT had an average speed of 24.12mph).

It was not great on hills and eventually I kamm-backed the fairing because cross winds were a really bad thing.

I also broke the fork due to the to-and-fro motion on climbs.

Current 'bent has a smaller ultra-light box that provides just a bit of an aero improvement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Due to the whole Canyon purchase, I have two 25mm and two 28mm GP5k TL tires. The Venge is on S-Works Turbos (26mm).

Set up tubeless on a 21mm internal wheel and with a 61kg rider, are 28s still the way to go? I’d prefer faster over comfort but all my reading says the GP5k TLs are faster than the Turbos at any rate. I’d prefer to avoid a staggered setup but I suppose it’s on the table since I have the tires.

Also Canyon still owes me $40 for oval seat rails and hasn’t refunded me. 2 bit operation.

What's the external on your rim?

Also, I would absolutely consider staggering front/rear. On my road race wheels I have a 2mm difference front/rear. The radius difference is irrelevant to the handling, imo.

Edit: also, I think at your weight 25 or 26 could be faster if the road surface is good, but it wouldn't take much for 28s to be better.

If you're really curious, it's not that hard to use the Chung Method assuming you can find a representative stretch of pavement to do it over.

bicievino fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Mar 15, 2021