Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's over 40 degrees outside, yet it's snowing so hard it's sticking to the ground.

Simulation's busted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Intruder posted:

my ex made me sell my bike so time to get a new one I guess lol

right now my money is going to fixing up the house though

e: tell my why I shouldn't do this I do need new countertops probably

https://www.amazon.com/Livelynine-C...084V13QKF&psc=1

Go get you a bike, brother. It's a better idea than wallpapering a countertop!

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I saw the most bewildering ad on Instagram from some clothing company.

It said, “Yes, shorts can be comfortable.”

I didn’t know shorts could even be anything but comfortable.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Kalli posted:

It's over 40 degrees outside, yet it's snowing so hard it's sticking to the ground.

Simulation's busted.

Oh yeah, the snow we were supposed to have come in on Friday here in CO fizzled through most of Friday night and Saturday as the temp hovered in the mid-30s; by the tie I went to bed there was barely any on the ground. For about the time I got up to now it’s just been dumping nonstop and we have maybe a foot to 18” with no end in sight.

Snow dog photo:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

We're supposed to get a nasty snowstorm here in Madison tomorrow, even though the temperature got near 60 yesterday and the day before. The price of living in Wisconsin, I suppose.

And, hey, I'm back in my apartment and it didn't burn down while I was gone. There's definitely a bad funk emanating from the fridge, though... :ohdear:

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
:lol: Motorcycle chat and Lawrence of Arabia starts up on watchw.me where the protagonist dies at the very beginning due to a motorcycle accident.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Is it true that most of the criticism for WandaVison is that people went wild with crazy theory crafting and in actuality the story was way more simple?

That's one of them. There were some hint that were dropped that fans went nuts over that didn't go the way they wanted (looking at you, Evan Peters).

People need to recognize that the MCU has a goal of making B-movie serials. Anything that does better than expected is a B+ at most. Disney doesn't want anything less than a C.

I can be disappointed that a story doesn't go the way I want but I sometimes need to step back and look at the expectations I bring into looking at it. Sometimes I think we're living in a real Revenge of the Nerds timeline where if fan's don't get what they specifically want they get real nasty. Look at what happened to the Star Wars sequels or that all-women Ghostbusters movie.

I just watched Cloud Atlas last night and I think I really enjoy the stuff the Wachowskis try, even if they fail. They're willing to swing big and sometimes they miss big. Hot take: that movie would've been better served being animated; I think a lot of hate towards it was how the makeup effects weren't up to par. Seeing a Korean-faced Hugo Weaving was… :gonk:.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Bird in a Blender posted:

I saw the most bewildering ad on Instagram from some clothing company.

It said, “Yes, shorts can be comfortable.”

I didn’t know shorts could even be anything but comfortable.

LOL. So cute. Clearly you have never worn denim panties and gotten a yeast infection. Oh it happens.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Braksgirl posted:

LOL. So cute. Clearly you have never worn denim panties and gotten a yeast infection. Oh it happens.
Apparently my wardrobe needs some serious upgrading as I did not realize panties can be made out of denim.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Braksgirl posted:

Why would you or anyone wear underwear made of denim

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
So a long time ago some dumb people built a potting shed on the back of my garage in a way that pushed the entire roof forward and bowed out the front wall, and it turns out all the snow from this winter caused the center of the roof to sink, like... a lot.

So now I get to assemble my army of bottle jacks and come-alongs to pull everything straight and plum again then sister all the rafters and add new ties.

blah

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/thatpazuzu/status/1371203372485853185?s=21

So is that YouTube generated stuff making it to tiktok now?

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Its Rinaldo posted:

Why would you or anyone wear underwear made of denim

I think she means Daisy Dukes that are so small and tight they might as well be panties

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I did a very adult thing and went furniture shopping today. I went to Ikea and wanted to upgrade my dresser, but the one I really wanted was sold out :( Then we decided to shop at other furniture stores in the area and all the equivalent sized dressers were basically triple the price, or more. I know Ikea is a bit cheaper material and comes unassembled, but how the hell are places getting away with those prices?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

D-LINK posted:

I think she means Daisy Dukes that are so small and tight they might as well be panties

Yeah, those. Women's clothes aren't made for comfort so when you're like "how are shorts uncomfortable?" all I can think is "Buddy, you have NO idea."

Personally, I don't wear shorts ever because chub rub is real and very painful.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Some furniture is straight-up better quality materials. I got this nice dresser that is from some solid-rear end wood and is a lot sturdier than the IKEA Malm dresser I have in another room.

I now almost exclusively buy furniture on FB marketplace or OfferUp as you can find screaming deals on stuff if you don't mind used.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

seiferguy posted:

I did a very adult thing and went furniture shopping today. I went to Ikea and wanted to upgrade my dresser, but the one I really wanted was sold out :( Then we decided to shop at other furniture stores in the area and all the equivalent sized dressers were basically triple the price, or more. I know Ikea is a bit cheaper material and comes unassembled, but how the hell are places getting away with those prices?

Because other places make stuff out of wood and not particleboard.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Kalli posted:

Because other places make stuff out of wood and not particleboard.

Yeah, I get that. But I've been using an ikea dresser for a good 9 years now (and have moved 4 times with it), and it's still been great. It's just not the size I need anymore.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Yeah if I buy ikea it's basically only their solid wood stuff

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Android Apocalypse posted:

I can be disappointed that a story doesn't go the way I want but I sometimes need to step back and look at the expectations I bring into looking at it. Sometimes I think we're living in a real Revenge of the Nerds timeline where if fan's don't get what they specifically want they get real nasty. Look at what happened to the Star Wars sequels or that all-women Ghostbusters movie.

This is a healthy point of view and it's one I wish more folks could adopt with things they ostensibly enjoy, especially sci-fi and fantasy where the hate is just so loving relentless. That said, I have no idea how you reverse the Skip Bayless-ification of conversation and critique around popular media. Like, that kind of statement - "this could be enjoyable, let's come into this with an open mind; if it's not, no big deal" - doesn't really float to the top of the Twitter churn versus "that ending was triple Hitler."

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

seiferguy posted:

Yeah, I get that. But I've been using an ikea dresser for a good 9 years now (and have moved 4 times with it), and it's still been great. It's just not the size I need anymore.

A sensible economy sedan will always do what you want but it's not gonna be a lexus :shrug:

Braksgirl posted:

Yeah, those. Women's clothes aren't made for comfort so when you're like "how are shorts uncomfortable?" all I can think is "Buddy, you have NO idea."

Is that like a southern term? I've never heard shorts, even daisy duke short shorts called panties.

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 14, 2021

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Braksgirl posted:

Chub rub usually means something totally different to me.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Its Rinaldo posted:

A sensible economy sedan will always do what you want but it's not gonna be a lexus :shrug:

Is that like a southern term? I've never heard shorts, even daisy duke short shorts called panties.

Maybe? That’s just what I’ve always called them.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Can any of you the tech nerds itt recommend a good tutorial on Python?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
This is so loving wrong.

https://twitter.com/NessMudkip/status/1370368797824155648

Please Biden ban this filth via Executive Order or something.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Anals of History posted:

This is a healthy point of view and it's one I wish more folks could adopt with things they ostensibly enjoy, especially sci-fi and fantasy where the hate is just so loving relentless. That said, I have no idea how you reverse the Skip Bayless-ification of conversation and critique around popular media. Like, that kind of statement - "this could be enjoyable, let's come into this with an open mind; if it's not, no big deal" - doesn't really float to the top of the Twitter churn versus "that ending was triple Hitler."

We are unfortunately in the land of 🔥HOT TAKES🔥 which has been proven to drive clicks/viewership/ad revenue. Also Twitter's character limit sprung forth the idea of shotgunning ideas out to the public with little space for nuance.

For me I work hard to make sure I preface things with "I think" or "I believe" as to clarify that what I'm about to say is an opinion. Opinion as fact is a bad habit to get into when dealing with subjective matters like art criticism. Like right now I'm watching Lawrence of Arabia and I concur with a lot of critics in thinking it's a great bit of filmmaking, but I also recognize it has flaws & shortcomings that can be detracting (how nobody really talks about Alec Guiness being in Arabface is :crossarms:).

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Cartoons aren't real

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

This is so loving wrong.

https://twitter.com/NessMudkip/status/1370368797824155648

Please Biden ban this filth via Executive Order or something.

So instead of Bart being conceived after seeing The Empire Strikes Back, he was now conceived after seeing... poo poo, even Revenge of the Sith is 16-years ago.

Why the gently caress are the Simpsons doing flashbacks still? They’ve probably got entire seasons of material of that by this point...

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

We have a solid wood Ikea corner TV stand that has been through two apartments and two houses in 13 years, and it's still solid. Currently living its second life as the stand for our chop saw and is used as the base for our frame spinner when we collect honey.

Most of their stuff is poo poo, though.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

We had a solid wood ikea crib for our kiddo that was safe and simple and stout and all the grandparents were worried about us not spending like 1500$ on a loving heirloom level crib or something it was dumb as gently caress.

70 bucks baybee (baby)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

fartknocker posted:

Why the gently caress are the Simpsons doing flashbacks still? They’ve probably got entire seasons of material of that by this point...

It's way easier to just reference a bunch of poo poo from previous decades than come up with jokes or an actual story.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
Circling back to Daisy Dukes chat and in relation to The Simpsons (possibly :nws:): https://imgur.com/l0p1hlO

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
if any of you cheer for syracuse, gently caress you

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Circling back to Daisy Dukes chat and in relation to The Simpsons (possibly :nws:): https://imgur.com/l0p1hlO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkQaL9SU2BY

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

a neat cape posted:

Carmelo Anthony is cool & good, especially now that he's on the Blazers. :colbert:

That is the extent of my rooting interest of the Orangemen.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

I liked Donovan McNabb once upon a time.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fartknocker posted:

So instead of Bart being conceived after seeing The Empire Strikes Back, he was now conceived after seeing... poo poo, even Revenge of the Sith is 16-years ago.

Homer would've worn the bootleg Bart Iraq '91 War t-shirts as a kid.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

a neat cape posted:

Sorry man, homefield's Cuse shirt is cuter than yours. This is important to my rooting interests.

https://twitter.com/HomefieldApparl/status/1371227009796427780

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Can any of you the tech nerds itt recommend a good tutorial on Python?

Have you programmed before and want to pick up another language, or are you picking it up as a (very good!) first scripting/object-orientated language? There's a tutorial in the official documentation that's a good starting point for both. Afterwards, for a new programmer I'd work through Project Euler problems.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

Nick Jr. Face posted:

Auggggghhhh why did I click that (I did lol tho)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Coco13 posted:

Have you programmed before and want to pick up another language, or are you picking it up as a (very good!) first scripting/object-orientated language? There's a tutorial in the official documentation that's a good starting point for both. Afterwards, for a new programmer I'd work through Project Euler problems.
I have programmed before and am just looking to add to my repertoire. Evidently Python is a popular language these days in automated testing. That said, I'll start with the official documentation :D