Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

The Perfect Element posted:

Do you work for the Labour Party?

also, is your colleague Keir Starmer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

crazyvanman posted:

You say that, but I work with someone (much better paid and more senior than me) who genuinely said the other day that Starmer is biding his time and will one day be launching a sudden strike at Johnson for all the government's failings during the pandemic. He said that it will be great because Starmer is 'so precise' that it will be a joy to watch. Nice to see that the 'forensic' meme has embedded itself.

If he doesn't know of it already, you need to show him the QAnon stuff, he'll be mighty impressed by those guys

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

If Starmer called for Dick to be removed he'd have to deal with the wrath of Rosie Duffield.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Marmaduke! posted:

If he doesn't know of it already, you need to show him the QAnon stuff, he'll be mighty impressed by those guys

The Starm Is Coming

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Communist Thoughts posted:

i reckon kier is gone and if labour can restrain their sexism for a single leadership challenge we're gonna have jessflaps as leader

and quite honestly as much as i dislike her she'll be way loving better than starmer

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

woah

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

av's for everyone

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jakabite posted:

Also willing to hear arguments for this being a counter-revolutionary strategy

In regards to this point specifically, by taking this road, you do become part of the system. You have to be okay with that. You can do a lot of good (some of the time), but you will be doing good within the system.

You will also get into this to help people and do good, and you will then have to come to terms with, more often than you'd like, there's not a whole lot you *can* do other than damage limitation.

Do not underestimate what impact either of these things might have on you.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

crazyvanman posted:

You say that, but I work with someone (much better paid and more senior than me) who genuinely said the other day that Starmer is biding his time and will one day be launching a sudden strike at Johnson for all the government's failings during the pandemic. He said that it will be great because Starmer is 'so precise' that it will be a joy to watch. Nice to see that the 'forensic' meme has embedded itself.

I didn't know that people actually thought this poo poo. The even better thing is that, because of where I work, I keep my cards very close to my chest, politically speaking. So much so that this same guy (who also said that he was relieved when Corbyn went because he'd damaged the Party so much) can't figure out if I'm to the right or to the left of him.

It's the same people who thought sensible Labour voters were all going to follow CUK-TIG, and that the Lib Dems were going to storm it in 2019. Their conviction that a silent centrist majority that will take us all back to 2012 is going to emerge at any moment is completely unshakeable.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

The poppy plate is just :discourse:

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

how many front page stories will there be about the need for the police to pretct churchill's statue (from the nobody who was going to bother with it)

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
Given that the other Labour people I had spoken to (admittedly not many) were definitely anti-Keith I was taken by surprise. I wasn't sure if I'd discovered a new breed or if this was a genuine belief held by the majority and I just don't speak to enough people to know about it.

I don't work for the Labour Party and he's not Starmer, though I've never seen them in the same room at the same time...

In my head I will now be referring to him as Keir-anon, Keith-anon and/or K-anon (which works because his name also begins with 'K') and will wait for him to tell me the Starm is coming.

EDIT: In response to above post - last summer when the statue thing was kicking off, when we did our soup kitchen which happened to be outside the local war memorial, there were genuinely local gammons out watching us from their cars and ready to stand guard. They appeared soon after we did, so they must have had people watching the memorial and sent out an alert on a private group

crazyvanman fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Mar 14, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Trin Tragula posted:

In regards to this point specifically, by taking this road, you do become part of the system. You have to be okay with that. You can do a lot of good (some of the time), but you will be doing good within the system.

You will also get into this to help people and do good, and you will then have to come to terms with, more often than you'd like, there's not a whole lot you *can* do other than damage limitation.

Do not underestimate what impact either of these things might have on you.

Thanks for this, I appreciate it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Protect Churchill at all costs!
Do not pursue Churchill!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I've said it before, but I think Starmer will hold on till 2024 as I don't think the left are strong enough to force the issue (and more importantly win the leadership) and I don't think the right will want to risk a leadership challenge especially as they tend to not be very popular.

However I could absolutely see him as a lame duck leader after May, where he is clearly not going to win an election but noone wants to make the move. This is complicated by the fact that basically noone in the party is an actual Starmerite - his support could basically evaporate in an instant but it's very hard to predict when.

I think the likely breaking point will be if/when Brexit stuff starts getting worse, if Starmer keeps refusing to try to pin any brexit stuff on the Tories then this is the most likely avenue the right of the party start to attack him on. I think if polling dips below 30 people's patience will start to run out as well.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

Lady Demelza posted:

The poppy plate is just :discourse:
I am hopeful this image was borrowed from elsewhere though, because he said he was 33 and had a kid to take care of.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Lol

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oop, got to watch that tone now.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

MikeCrotch posted:

I've said it before, but I think Starmer will hold on till 2024 as I don't think the left are strong enough to force the issue (and more importantly win the leadership) and I don't think the right will want to risk a leadership challenge especially as they tend to not be very popular.

I genuinely assumed Starmer would be a lot more competent than he has been but still think 'Starmer wins in 2024' is the most likely scenario.

The problem is that Communist Thoughts is probably right that if Starmer gets replaced it will be by some version of Phillips, who on earth would the left candidate even be? I remain the eternal Clive Lewis stan but he's hardly emerging as a figurehead and the left of the party has such a more difficult path now than Corbyn had.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
If Labour keep allowing themselves to be outflanked on the left by the Tories, then who are these supposed Labour voters going to be?

I definitely won't be voting Labour in the local elections, and if Starmer is still in charge in 3 years, I highly doubt Labour will be putting out a manifesto worth even reading.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
why is the chief of police in london appointed by the home office and not the city government

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

bump_fn posted:

why is the chief of police in london appointed by the home office and not the city government

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by 'city government' there, the closest thing would be the Mayoralship but that was created within our lifetimes. I can't remember where I read it but the chief of police being decided purely by party political government fiat was actually a sop to the capital-C City of London Corporation wanting to expand its control beyond the 'square mile' back in the day, the compromise was that plebs would never be allowed near such an important decision and it would be the Home Office Minister, who would inevitably be supporting the CoL, and in return the CoL still gets to do it's own private police poo poo but can't expand that outside the square mile.

Edit: As Rude and Nasty as they are GoddamedTwisto probably knows this stuff way better than I do

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Mar 14, 2021

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013
My money's on Starmer losing in 2024 and staying on as leader regardless because the people currently in control of Labour's goal isn't winning, it's the preservation of politics as a career.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i dont think its impossible starmer wins, he is poo poo enough

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Boris is unstoppable.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Nonsense posted:

Boris is unstoppable.

Where's he even been these last few weeks?

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

stev posted:

Where's he even been these last few weeks?
The less he's in the news, apparently the better his poll ratings get. Expect him to gently caress off for a round-the-world vacation in 2024 and win handily even after Scotland goes independent, Ireland reunifies, the EU's 25th round of sanctions over breaches of the withdrawal deal sees French warships blockading the Solent and a Sino-Russian consortium takes over the running of the NHS, while Starmer devolves into a sweaty turkey roll spluttering "but-but-but-" as he orders a three-line whip abstention on the "Smelt the Paups' Babies for Oil Act".

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

bump_fn posted:

We literally didn't have one of those for most of the 80s and 90s.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

bump_fn posted:

On the one hand, the Met has a number of national responsibilities (counter-terrorism leads, personal protection of VIPs, etc) due to being (a) the first and by far the largest modern police force in Britain (b) the police of the capital city in a country heavily biased towards the capital.

On the other, when the Met was invented, there wasn't such a thing as a "city government" of London. It was Robert Peel's baby, and he was the Home Secretary, so of course he gave himself the job of appointing the Commissioners (originally there were two). The Metropolitan Police District came over 50 years before the London County Council was invented and covered a far different area, and by the time the MPD was changed to be the same thing as the London local government area, Home Secretaries had been appointing Commissioners for about 130 years. (And then pan-London local government got wholesale abolished, and re-formed again...)

On the third, until very very recently, the Commissioner was the only chief police officer who was guaranteed to be directly appointed by anyone who had been directly elected (technically she is appointed by the Queen, but on the Home Secretary's recommendation). Historically, the Chief Constable of each force was appointed by a local authority watch committee or standing joint committee (which usually included magistrates as well as councillors and often it was the magistrates who were in charge), and then by an independent police authority with set numbers of councillor members, magistrate members, and later lay members; neither time with any restriction on who could chair the committee. It wasn't until 2012 that most police authorities for territorial forces were replaced with the directly-elected office of "police and crime commissioner", which literally nobody gives a single poo poo about and turnout for those elections is always extremely low.

vvv TfL was specifically set up with the Greater London Authority in 2000 so the new office of Mayor of London could have direct responsibility for it. vvv

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Mar 15, 2021

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
oh ty. i didn’t realize the mayorship was new, i thought there was more citywide local government beyond the various councils. who runs tfl

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

bump_fn posted:

oh ty. i didn’t realize the mayorship was new, i thought there was more citywide local government beyond the various councils. who runs tfl

Mayor

The government of London has changed a lot over the years, Owen Hatherley wrote a book recently on it (Red Metropolis)

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

feedmegin posted:

We literally didn't have one of those for most of the 80s and 90s.

1800s and 1900s too to be more accurate

blues thief posted:

My money's on Starmer losing in 2024 and staying on as leader regardless because the people currently in control of Labour's goal isn't winning, it's the preservation of politics as a career.

Nah if Starmer loses in 2024 then he's gone for sure, your basic point that right-wing Labour people are prioritising preserving a totemic socioeconomic superstructure way more than they are prioritising electoral victory is true but there is a level of real politick too, Starmers function is easily replaced and his ability is apparently pretty poo poo too, he has no ongoing value.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

MikeCrotch posted:

Mayor

The government of London has changed a lot over the years, Owen Hatherley wrote a book recently on it (Red Metropolis)

I Will Never Read A Book

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
I think kier is doing a good job thank god the previous guy with beard gone

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

how dare you I'm sure he was genuinely in love with Sarah

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

good thing cops are too dumb to read

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

1800s and 1900s too to be more accurate

Nah if Starmer loses in 2024 then he's gone for sure, your basic point that right-wing Labour people are prioritising preserving a totemic socioeconomic superstructure way more than they are prioritising electoral victory is true but there is a level of real politick too, Starmers function is easily replaced and his ability is apparently pretty poo poo too, he has no ongoing value.

gently caress off out of this thread.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
They have spoken

https://twitter.com/planetjedward/status/1371269189764325376?s=19

E: :yeshaha:
https://twitter.com/planetjedward/status/1371254075849904132?s=19

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

the vanguard of the cultural revolution will be... Jedward!?