Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

When they heard about this snack, it was crew expendable. The next time they sent in pastry chefs; they were expendable too. What makes you think they’re gonna care about a bunch of line cooks who found donuts at the rear end-end of space?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
There are no donuts allowed onboard, sir.

My own recipe. Way more dangerous.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Vagabundo posted:

When they heard about this snack, it was crew expendable. The next time they sent in pastry chefs; they were expendable too. What makes you think they’re gonna care about a bunch of line cooks who found donuts at the rear end-end of space?
:golfclap:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I'm ready, man, check it out. I am the ultimate pâtissier! State of the pâtissier art! You do NOT want to f*** with me. Check it out! Hey Ripley, don't worry. Me and my squad of ultimate pâtissiers will satiate you! Check it out! Independently rotating particle beam pastry oven. Whoa! Fry a baker's dozen with this puppy. We got pecan and plum strudels, fair-trade chocolate eclairs, Bak-la-vas, we got flaky left arm achy artery busters! We got scones, we got pies, stuffed crepes...

Splicer fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 12, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Sergeant A Scone

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Well, that explains it then. The A2s always were a bit twitchy. That could never happen now with our temperature regulators. It is impossible for me to burn or by omission of action, allow to be burned, a batch of cookies.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
My 10 year old son is doing a second run on Alien: Isolation after getting about 3/4 of the way through the first time only this time he's playing on EASY and I'm here to tell everyone that it's not scary anymore.

So all you babies who couldn't handle this game, just play it on easy and the alien will never bother you.

Working Joes still will though.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Splicer posted:

I'm ready, man, check it out. I am the ultimate pâtissier! State of the pâtissier art! You do NOT want to f*** with me. Check it out! Hey Ripley, don't worry. Me and my squad of ultimate pâtissiers will satiate you! Check it out! Independently rotating particle beam pastry oven. Whoa! Fry a baker's dozen with this puppy. We got pecan and plum strudels, fair-trade chocolate eclairs, Bak-la-vas, we got flaky left arm achy artery busters! We got scones, we got pies, stuffed crepes...

:five:

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Marines, we are leaving (to Dunkin Donuts)!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

EAT THIS

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Broke: Hornyposting

Woke: Donutposting

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

It's a shame there was no Alien followup to Predator: Dark Ages
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRD8jAk274I

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

As Nero Danced posted:

Doing my quarterly re-watching of the series, I just realized they never saved the hamster in Hadley's Hope. It was still in its cage when the colony went kablooey :(.

Hamster Huey and the Gooey Kablooie.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Grammarchist posted:

It's a shame there was no Alien followup to Predator: Dark Ages
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRD8jAk274I

I got you fam.

Aliens: Phalanx https://www.amazon.com/dp/1789094011/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_KBYQNS18V59T3VRFR391

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Splicer posted:

Sergeant A Scone

Daniel “Otis” Spunkmayer

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

How many dozen is this for you lieutenant?

Thirty eight. Microwaved.

How many baked dozen?

Two. Including this one.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

I can't lie to you about your calorie intake... but you have my sympathies.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Why? Why are the tasty punished? Why the sacrifice? Why the pain? There aren't any promises. Nothing certain. Only that some get called, some get saved. She won't ever know the hardship and grief for those of us left behind. We commit these donuts to the void with a glad heart. For within each dough, there is a promise of a nut, and within each snack, no matter how small, there's always a new life. A new beginning. Amen.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Who do you have to bake for to get off this boat?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

We're all gonna die, the only question is when. This is as good a place as any to take your first steps to heaven. The only question is how you check out. Do you wanna go on your feet? Or on your loving knees, begging? I ain't much for begging! Nobody ever gave me nothin'! So I say gently caress that thing! Let's eat it!

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

It's a donut! Ash is a god drat donut!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Whenever he says *anything* you say "donut", Brett. You know that?

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

BiggerBoat posted:

My 10 year old son is doing a second run on Alien: Isolation after getting about 3/4 of the way through the first time only this time he's playing on EASY and I'm here to tell everyone that it's not scary anymore.

So all you babies who couldn't handle this game, just play it on easy and the alien will never bother you.

Working Joes still will though.

I don't believe you. I've had 3 go's at this game, each time making it farther than the last. Sure, the portions I've played before aren't scary at all, it's the new portions each time I get farther along.

It's probably about time to try it again.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Only having time to play video games at night when all else are asleep in an otherwise quiet home adds to the spoopy ambience. Are you and your kids playing it on easy mode during the day with all kinds of stuff going on or together watching it? I can see how playing a game and talking smack on it with someone else in the room would ease off the tension.

Mutant Headcrab
May 14, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Whenever he says *anything* you say "donut", Brett. You know that?

Donut.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Burke: Look, those two donuts are worth millions to the bio-foods division. Now, if you're smart, we can both come out of it as heroes, and we will be set up for life.
Ripley: [beat] You're crazy, Burke, you know that? You really think you can get a dangerous snack like that past ICC quarantine?
Burke: How can they impound it if they don't know about it?
Ripley: Oh, but they will know about it, Burke. From me. Just like they'll know that you were responsible for the meals of 157 colonists!
Burke: Wait a second—
Ripley: You sent them to that pantry!
Burke: You're wrong!
Ripley: I just checked the colony log. Directive dated 6/12/79, signed Burke, Carter J. You sent them out there and you didn't even warn them! Why didn't you warn them, Burke?
Burke: Okay, look. What if that pantry didn't even exist? Did you ever think about that? I didn't know! So now, if I went and made a major security situation out of it, everybody steps in. Administration steps in, and there are no exclusive rights for anybody; nobody wins. So I made a decision, and it was wrong. It was a bad call, Ripley. It was a bad call.
Ripley: "Bad call"? [grabs Burke by the collar and presses him to the window] These people are full, Burke! Don't you have any idea what you've done here?! Well, I'm gonna make sure that they nail you right to the wall for this! You're not gonna sleaze your way out of this one! Right to the wall! [lets him go and starts to walk away]
Burke: Ripley... [Ripley stops and turns around] You know, I... I expected more from you. I thought you'd be smarter than this.
Ripley: [takes a breath] I'm happy to disappoint you.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Sorry to break the bake but I just watched Underwater and it's actually really good? I was not expecting that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Splicer posted:

Sorry to break the bake but I just watched Underwater and it's actually really good? I was not expecting that.

I liked Underwater quite a bit. I’m also a sucker for undersea thriller/horror movies, though.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Underwater has decent build up, but it’s to nothing much

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

skasion posted:

Underwater has decent build up, but it’s to nothing much

“Nothing much” is an interesting way to describe literal Cthulhu out of nowhere.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Vagabundo posted:

Burke: Look, those two donuts are worth millions to the bio-foods division. Now, if you're smart, we can both come out of it as heroes, and we will be set up for life.
Ripley: [beat] You're crazy, Burke, you know that? You really think you can get a dangerous snack like that past ICC quarantine?
Burke: How can they impound it if they don't know about it?
Ripley: Oh, but they will know about it, Burke. From me. Just like they'll know that you were responsible for the meals of 157 colonists!
Burke: Wait a second—
Ripley: You sent them to that pantry!
Burke: You're wrong!
Ripley: I just checked the colony log. Directive dated 6/12/79, signed Burke, Carter J. You sent them out there and you didn't even warn them! Why didn't you warn them, Burke?
Burke: Okay, look. What if that pantry didn't even exist? Did you ever think about that? I didn't know! So now, if I went and made a major security situation out of it, everybody steps in. Administration steps in, and there are no exclusive rights for anybody; nobody wins. So I made a decision, and it was wrong. It was a bad call, Ripley. It was a bad call.
Ripley: "Bad call"? [grabs Burke by the collar and presses him to the window] These people are full, Burke! Don't you have any idea what you've done here?! Well, I'm gonna make sure that they nail you right to the wall for this! You're not gonna sleaze your way out of this one! Right to the wall! [lets him go and starts to walk away]
Burke: Ripley... [Ripley stops and turns around] You know, I... I expected more from you. I thought you'd be smarter than this.
Ripley: [takes a breath] I'm happy to disappoint you.

:five:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Xenomrph posted:

“Nothing much” is an interesting way to describe literal Cthulhu out of nowhere.

Yeah, exactly. It’s a non-event as an ending. The idea isn’t bad, but as presented, it’s just “oh no a bigger monster”. Like I said, the build-up is good but there’s nothing interesting or exciting about the resolution.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I don't know whose worse, them or us. You don't see them loving each other over for a goddamn bearclaw, do you?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

BTW, anyone pick up the recent 'Making of' books by J.W. Rinzler? His book on 'The Empire Strikes Back' was excellent, but I feel like the productions of Alien and Aliens have been pretty well covered already so I'm a little more hesitant with their heavy price tag and all.

Xenomrph posted:

I have them both but haven’t had a chance to really read through them yet, but the reception by the Alien community has been very positive.

I just ran through The Making of Alien and while there wasn't much that was 100% new to me, all the little details and added perspective helped make it feel like a fresh read. The bits from Giger's diary are hilarious, and it was nice to get quotes from Bolaji Bodejo (the guy in the xenomorph suit), since he had died pretty young he hadn't had as much public exposure as the rest of the crew.

Probably the most surprising thing was that it seems all these years we've still been getting the watered-down version of what happened behind-the-scenes. The best way I can describe it is everything we've heard about Alien is not just true, it's more true.

Using live maggots for "pulsing alien brains" wasn't just an idea, they actually brought in buckets of maggots and put them in the drat alien head (Bodejo refused to put it on), and some of them got loose and ended up in Dan O'Bannon's hat which he didn't realize until he put it on and panicked.

Ridley Scott not only got a crazy idea to have the alien bite off Ripley's head at the end and start speaking in her voice, he made a serious push at the 11th hour to change the ending to exactly this, even heatedly arguing with producers and Fox executives on a conference call and only relenting when they threatened to fire him.

Yapphet Kotto is even crazier than you knew. The competition between artists, producers, writers, actors, et al. was even fiercer than they've said. Some of the preview screenings really were pretty wild to the point where Alan Ladd Jr. snuck out fearing the crowd might try to harm him (apparently this actually happened at some ill-fated previous film).

One moment the studio thought the movie would flop and the next instant literally thought it was going to be bigger than Star Wars, and then were deeply disappointed when it "only" grossed $100 million.

It was an entertaining read, for sure. I've already got The Making of Aliens coming in the mail.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

skasion posted:

Yeah, exactly. It’s a non-event as an ending. The idea isn’t bad, but as presented, it’s just “oh no a bigger monster”. Like I said, the build-up is good but there’s nothing interesting or exciting about the resolution.
My only objection is they blew up Cthulhu and all the cthulhu babies. I don't like it when stories leave their universes a less interesting place

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Splicer posted:

My only objection is they blew up Cthulhu and all the cthulhu babies. I don't like it when stories leave their universes a less interesting place

I think the director has said Cthulhu ain’t dead, because you can’t kill Cthulhu.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

frogge posted:

Only having time to play video games at night when all else are asleep in an otherwise quiet home adds to the spoopy ambience. Are you and your kids playing it on easy mode during the day with all kinds of stuff going on or together watching it? I can see how playing a game and talking smack on it with someone else in the room would ease off the tension.

Night time, baby. With the lights off and the sound turned up. If my 10 year old autistic kid can crush this game on easy the rest of you fraidy cat goon can handle it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I was never unable to finish Isolation, the incredibly immersive story and environment always outweighed the stress and anxiety some parts of the game caused. But replaying it (or even just today skimming through some gameplay videos), there are definitely still parts that make my skin crawl - some of which are even scripted events that I know are coming from a mile away.

Project KG348, Gemini Exoplanet Solutions. Where Waits has you trap the alien and then jettisons the whole modular laboratory with you in it. The last dash to the airlock has a scripted xenomorph coming right for you as you mash the door button. Gets me every time.

Playing on a lower difficulty and crouch-walking the entire time makes the xenomorph markedly easier to avoid, for sure. Solomuns Habitation, near the very end of the game, though... This one is just great level design. Up until this point the game mostly gives you enough space, and places to hide, but this part has you doubling back a few times down one hallway lined by windowed rooms. God help you if you're playing on a higher difficulty and the xeno AI has already learned your propensity to hide in vents or boxes. You'll be anxiously circling the air hockey table hoping it would just go away for a second so you can dash back down that hallway.

And of course, even though it's my favourite part and I look forward to it every playthrough, every time I end up in The Nest, I want to get the gently caress out of there ASAP. The facehuggers don't care how sneaky you are, both of the core startup sequences are incredibly loud, and Ripley's horrified dialog right off the bat just completely sells that map.

I want a sequel.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
New Aliens Fireteam video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5GfdRz098s

Ten minute look at the Gunner and Technician classes.

Gunner is the classic Colonial Marine we all know and love
Lots of firepower
Specials include grenades and overclock (buffs your team)
Perks include upgrading overclock or grenades, you can do incendiary grenades or remote detonators

Technician can deploy a turret, or throw out charge coils which create an electric field that will slow down enemies
Turrets can be a heavy turret or incinerator turret. Might be more to unlock?

General:
You select your perks on a loadout screen. Some perks are universal, so when you unlock it using a gunner, you can equip it as a technician, etc
You pick what perks you are gonna go with and have to fit them into a grid, tetris-y, some perks are 1x4, some are 1x2, some are 2x2. They are categorized as either blue or green, not sure what the distinction is. Eventually you rank up the grid space
Kits determine what kind of weapon you can bring
Looks like you can mod your weapons too? Or level them up?

4 weapon types:
Rifles
CQCs
Handguns
Heavy weapons

You can select whatever class you want, ie you can have a team of 3 technicians if you want. But the developers don't want you to want 3 technicians

Overall it sounds fricken rad. It seems like you have a lot of potential to plan out your team and give everyone a special role. Probably from replaying the same maps repeatedly and learning how they work. I'm not super stoked about 3rd person but that's a minor complaint :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos

Splicer posted:

Underwater is drat good. Very atmospheric and spooky. Great direction.

If you liked that, then give Sputnik a try.