Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Kane came to my place of work like 9 years ago which is strange because it was an up and coming factory and then he just talked about insurance

Now he’s my mayor and people don’t seem to like him as much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Pimpcasso posted:

Kane came to my place of work like 9 years ago which is strange because it was an up and coming factory and then he just talked about insurance

Now he’s my mayor and people don’t seem to like him as much

It's the same in wrestling as it is in politics - he was much better when he realized the importance of a mask.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Hell yes, luchadores are real-life superheroes

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I can believe that.

I forget which wrestler it was, but one of them told a story about how they mentioned they were going to see some stand up comedian perform.

Vince was there, and he was genuinely baffled as to why someone would PAY to see a non-WWE comedian perform. "Why would you pay to see someone be funny? We've got Santino, he's as funny as anyone" kind of thing. Literally mentioning Santino, a comedy wrestler, as a reason why nobody should need to pay for stand up comedy.

Apparently he genuinely doesn't understand why people would watch action or drama movies over WWE poo poo, because they've got action and drama, what the hell are these people getting from other places that we don't have?

E: Santino, not Cesaro!

I think the story was that someone was on a plane and was going to watch a comedy movie and Vince was like, "Watch Santino matches!"

Reminds me of when CM Punk was crazy popular and 2K Games wanted to make him the cover boy of their next game and revolve the promotional stuff around him. WWE responded with, "No, you want Sheamus!" because they really wanted him to get over as Player 2 John Cena at the time.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I can believe that.

I forget which wrestler it was, but one of them told a story about how they mentioned they were going to see some stand up comedian perform.

Vince was there, and he was genuinely baffled as to why someone would PAY to see a non-WWE comedian perform. "Why would you pay to see someone be funny? We've got Santino, he's as funny as anyone" kind of thing. Literally mentioning Santino, a comedy wrestler, as a reason why nobody should need to pay for stand up comedy.

Apparently he genuinely doesn't understand why people would watch action or drama movies over WWE poo poo, because they've got action and drama, what the hell are these people getting from other places that we don't have?

E: Santino, not Cesaro!

Gavok posted:

I think the story was that someone was on a plane and was going to watch a comedy movie and Vince was like, "Watch Santino matches!"
even weirder: the writer was Freddie Prinze, Jr.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Mulaney Power Move posted:

i get it. it's fine. i like boring territories wrestling with terrible production values because it's in earnest.

There's plenty of stuff that's in earnest in AEW. Those just aren't the moments people post about on the comedy joke forum though, at least not in this thread. The stuff they've been doing with Hangman Page being a highly functioning alcoholic with anxiety issues has been amazing, for instance. Funny poo poo happens around him, but the core character work has been perfect.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
https://twitter.com/WWE/status/1370466154741923845

:unsmith:

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

The hand Mae Young gave birth to turned 21 two weeks ago.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

mallratcal posted:

The hand Mae Young gave birth to turned 21 two weeks ago.

Doesn't look a day over 16

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Gavok posted:

Could very well be. I think it's just hilarious that Vince seemingly seriously and honestly believes that the WWE's crap is the best of all worlds in any category.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Vince McMahon has never forgotten his bodybuilding competitive league

Not having it around drove him to madness

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Shinjobi posted:

Vince McMahon has never forgotten his bodybuilding competitive league

Not having it around drove him to madness

Still the most baffling business decision he ever made. Like XFL was stupid both times, but at least football is a thing that a lot of people watch and the idea of an alternative to the NFL makes at least a kind of sense. No one except loving weirdos ever has or ever will watch, participate in, or care about competitive bodybuilding.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

All this talk of bodybuilding reminds me I need to drink my ICOPRO shake today.

Prof. Crocodile
Jun 27, 2020

Vince McMahon, shaking his head in bafflement at a baby that is breastfeeding instead of drinking ICOPRO.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Vince MechMahon posted:

Still the most baffling business decision he ever made. Like XFL was stupid both times, but at least football is a thing that a lot of people watch and the idea of an alternative to the NFL makes at least a kind of sense. No one except loving weirdos ever has or ever will watch, participate in, or care about competitive bodybuilding.

Vince loves it, and doesn't understand why other people don't. But Vince is also a guy who didn't think people would know what a burrito was despite eating one at the time.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

lmao

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tempted to buy a new avatar.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Vince MechMahon posted:

Tempted to buy a new avatar.

gently caress an avatar, I have a space on my wall for this

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

they look so greasy, and yet, not nearly as greasy as they really are

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I guess it didn't apply to that particular trial but Hulk Hogan has been known to get his lawyer to demand that he's allowed to wear a bandana when he's in court.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
Doesn’t Meltzer tell a tale about how Vince’s favourite NFL player is some obscure player from years and years ago who accomplished very little, but he was also a wrestler, so Vince liked him?

teardrop
Dec 20, 2004

by Pragmatica
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/...ingawful.com%2F
Hmm lucha libre is good

...and it’s on the last page.

teardrop fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 13, 2021

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
https://twitter.com/gayblackvet/status/1371143013557149696?s=19

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

lol the kiss does dmg

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

I wasn't prepared for the amount of rear end in this video.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Raw Report May 24, 1993

Announcers start the show in the normal way, screaming to be heard over an endless, blaring siren.

Doink arrives and crawls under the ring and then double-Doink shenanigans are happening, but I can't be bothered to try and explain it because it's dumb.

Anyhow, it's Doink vs Mr. Perfect in tonight's first matchup. This is a King of the Ring qualifier so there are actually some stakes [shut up, I know].

I've seen some amazing wrestling from Mr. Perfect. This ain't it. Very low energy match.

"Doink is like Jell-O, there's always room for more," claims Heenan. Sure. Whatever.

Just have second Doink show up and cheat already, geeze.

Thank you

But now here's Crush! He's out for clown blood! Hell yeah!

Despite the two-Doink plot, Mr. Perfect wins anyway.

Ya know, I guess the WWF knew what they were doing. Doink is in full-on heel mode here, so even 28 years later I'm getting angry just seeing him step in the ring, and I love watching him get his rear end kicked, so there you go.

And apprently, according to the wiki, the second Doink was Steve Keirn, aka Skinner, aka you don't remember him.

Just a few week until King of the Ring! I'm excited! Are you? No? Why not? Good answer!

March Madness. Fill out your brackets, kids!

Hulk does a classic Hulk promo. He's up to five demandments. Training, prayers, IcoPro, believe in yourself, and now add in "believe in Hogan."

"We are definitely gonna live forever."

"The only thing that's as large as Hulk Hogan's pythons, brother, is Jimmy Hart's heart, brother."

Hulk's pythons are "bigger than ever" and also check out "the shape of the triceps."

Ted DiBiase is offering a Benjamin to whomever will shine his shoes. They get some teenager from the audience to do it. Here's your moment of fame, kid.

Oh poo poo, IRS is taxing the young man's shoe-shine payment at 70%, thus turning the kid into a libertarian.

Now apparently Money Inc is actually gonna wrestle instead of just dick around.

Money Inc beat Wrestler 1 and Wrestler 2.

They keep doing the gag, week after week, where Bobby Heenan channel surfs on his TV during the show, but isn't that just admitting that sometimes the matches are boring and pointless and not even the announcers want to watch? Just sayin'.

Uncle Joey takes on Bobby Who. That's not a joke about some no-name jobber, that's actually his listed name. But also... WHO???

Between Crush and the Steiners, I've come to realize my favorite old school wrestling is just dudes getting hoisted in the air and thrown around. As a kid I was sucked into Hulkamania and Shawn Michaels and Ultimate Warrior, but as an adult my tastes have become, let's say... refined.

Razor Ramone is here and he's PISSED about 1-2-3 Kid beating him with the flying 69.

Defeated by ligma. Sad.

Razor keeps calling him "Stick Man." He's challenging 1-2-3 Kid by offering him, um $2,500. I mean, that's not a TON of money.

Bret Hart shows up because maybe he needs $2,500?

Nope, Hart is just here to give Razor some poo poo.

Heenan watches Heathcliff

Oh geeze. They use the TV gag to segue into the first Raw appearance of Adam Bomb.

drat, that is a good name.

This dude is BIG. I know he did some stuff in WCW and Attitude Raw as well, and I kinda remember liking him as a kid. I've just forgotten about him over the last 20+ years.

This was the absolute laziest big boot I've seen so far.

Show wraps with Bam Bam Birbiglesbey doing a hasty promo. We're going to get BBB vs Marty Jannetty with Luna and Sherri supporting respectively. I'm more excited for whatever madness will result from Luna/Sherri at ringside than I am the Intercontinental match!

As predicted, kind of a "meh," show. Tough poo poo, sports fans!

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Heenan loves the meat tank

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

I had that ring, it was sweet.

Also holy poo poo I remember Adam Bomb

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I still have that ring, one of my all time favorite toys, as more than just wrestlers could settle their beef in it. G.I. Joes, Superheroes. Use of powers was a DQ though.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

They show the same WWF commercials every episode:

Wrestling toys
Ico Pro
Slim Jim
Weekend show promos

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Vince MechMahon posted:

There's plenty of stuff that's in earnest in AEW. Those just aren't the moments people post about on the comedy joke forum though, at least not in this thread. The stuff they've been doing with Hangman Page being a highly functioning alcoholic with anxiety issues has been amazing, for instance. Funny poo poo happens around him, but the core character work has been perfect.

What's kind of crazy about it is that Being the Elite is mostly comedy poo poo and wrestlers messing around, but it's also where we've seen some of the more cutting and serious Hangman moments.

- During the first three months of COVID, Hangman just stayed at home and recorded BTE bits occasionally. This led to a series where he started living in the woods. At the same time, AEW was building towards the big Elite vs. Inner Circle match that was supposed to have Hangman in it. So on BTE, Hangman cut this promo in the great outdoors about reluctantly going back home that had parallels to both rejoining the Elite despite having issues with the members and returning to wrestling despite feeling uneasy about doing so during the pandemic.

- Since he and the Young Bucks didn't have their big split happen and instead patched things up, one BTE episode ended with them asking how he was feeling. He responded with honesty that he was fine doing comedy bits with them, but their friendship just isn't the same anymore. "I love you guys. I just don't like you and I know you don't like me. And that's okay." Then likening their friendship to classmates who write "Have a nice summer" in each other's yearbooks.

- Brodie Lee, who had an axe to grind with Hangman, would regularly have his Dark Order guys chant, "gently caress HANGMAN!" for his amusement. By Full Gear, Hangman's relationships with the Young Bucks and Omega had fallen apart to the point that when the Young Bucks won the tag titles, he couldn't bring himself to even congratulate them without feeling like it was opening a can of worms. During a BTE bit, the Dark Order (without Brodie there) tried to cheer up John Silver by chanting "gently caress HANGMAN!" In a post-credits scene, we saw that Hangman (who also lost his big match that night) walked into the room while they were chanting as he was looking for a bottle of whisky. The Dark Order initially shut up, but Hangman just started up the chant by himself until they joined in. Then he was just angrily yelling "gently caress HANGMAN!" repeatedly out of self-hatred before storming off and the Dark Order were all, "The gently caress was that about?"

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

MakaVillian posted:

I had that ring, it was sweet.

Also holy poo poo I remember Adam Bomb

It definitely was sweet.

Going through an image search to try to remember some of the figures I had. Most or all of them had some signature move/feature and you just had to use your imagination for the rest. Just banging toy figures of beefy, sweaty men together.

Hulk Hogan who did a bear hug action.
Hulk Hogan who did a body slam.
Ultimate Warrior who also did a body slam.
Ultimate Warrior who had a spring action in his back/torso and he could actually jump off the turnbuckle!
Jake the Snake who had an arm that was completely straight, you could pull it back and punch a guy.
Randy Savage, you had to make this one jump on your own but the elbow cocked up and swung back for maximum Macho.
Ted DiBiase who had an arm bent 90 degrees that you could cock back and knock someone in the head with.
Demolition tag team, one did the bodyslam, the other had an arm you could wind back and the movement stopped right around groin level.
The Rockers, Michaels had the spring back and who the gently caress cares what Jannetty did.
The Bushwhackers who did their weird arm swinging thing.
Ravishing Rick Rude who had one arm to headlock you with and a swinging arm to bash your head in. Because of the position of the headlock arm, it made for some pretty devastating elbows as well.

I'm sure a handful of other jobber dudes or gimmicks that didn't go over as well.

Chief McHeath fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Mar 15, 2021

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

mallratcal posted:

I still have that ring, one of my all time favorite toys, as more than just wrestlers could settle their beef in it. G.I. Joes, Superheroes. Use of powers was a DQ though.

Oh hell yeah, had many TMNT vs. myriad enemies matches in there, too.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

I had the leaping Ultimate Warrior and a couple others I can't remember.

They sucked. Hard plastic and their gimmick meant they were actually limited in how you could play with them.

Still in a weird nostalgia haze over Adam Bomb. Like, the deep part of my brain finds familiarity, but with no specifics.

I get that a lot with this show

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
my friend has a cool anecdote about BBB

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I had a bunch of the the WCW figures too but they didn't even have any gimmicks. They were just solid chunks of plastic.

https://www.figurerealm.com/actionfigure?action=seriesitemlist&id=271&ssid=4

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Bam Bam Bigelow legit got hurt at one point running into a burning building to rescue some kids

a good bigelow

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Lol

verbal enema posted:

my friend has a cool anecdote about BBB

Kinda curious about how that t-shirt sentence fits into the rest of that conversation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Eclipse12 posted:

Lol

Kinda curious about how that t-shirt sentence fits into the rest of that conversation