Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

movax posted:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14043/upgrading-from-an-intel-core-i7-2600k-testing-sandy-bridge-in-2019 This was one of my favorite recent AnandTech articles -- probably another version but with... 6700Ks?

:hfive:

6700K crew checking in. I've been running this setup for 5+ years now and I think I can get a bit more out of it if I find a reasonable upgrade for my Nvidia 970.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AT: Bench has some issues (the ram settings, the videocard used, the tests changing over time etc), so I wouldnt rely on it alone, but it certainly is a good "at a glance" resource.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
A Chinese site posted a review of the Rocket Lake six-core CPUs: http://zhongce.sina.com.cn/article/view/82766

If I use Techpowerup (*) as a source for getting some Cinebench R20 comparisons to existing CPUs:

Single-thread

pre:
* Ryzen 5 5600X (stock):          601
i5-11600KF:                       589
i5-11600KF OC'd to 4.8 GHz:       579
i5-11400F:                        539
* i5-10600K OC'd to 4.9 GHz:      520
* Ryzen 5 3600 (stock):           487
* i5-10400F (2666 MHz RAM):       450
Multi-thread

pre:
i5-11600KF OC'd to 4.8 GHz:       4,454
* Ryzen 5 5600X (stock):          4,346
i5-11600KF:                       4,267
i5-11400F:                        3,951
* i5-10600K OC'd to 4.9 GHz:      3,904
* Ryzen 5 3600 (stock):           3,716
* i5-10400F (2666 MHz RAM):       3,180

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Cygni posted:

the tests changing over time etc
When tests change they go into a separate category. The current "CPU 2021 Product Benchmarks" all use same test suite.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Hughmoris posted:

:hfive:

6700K crew checking in. I've been running this setup for 5+ years now and I think I can get a bit more out of it if I find a reasonable upgrade for my Nvidia 970.

6700k and GTX1060 for lyfe :( (literally)

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MikusR posted:

When tests change they go into a separate category. The current "CPU 2021 Product Benchmarks" all use same test suite.

Yeah I meant the tests change and they don’t retest every CPU. I get why they don’t, but it limits the usefulness of a “put everything on one list” system when you can’t put everything on one list anymore, but they broke that a few years ago. The whole thing likely needs some attention/love.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

~Coxy posted:

When LGA came out everyone was scared shitless of bricking a mobo but I have never actually done it, including at least one time moving a mobo around without the little plastic covering in the CPU holder and another time where one of the screws holding the retention mechanism came all the way out so the CPU wasn't in properly.

You're not likely to do it if you're being careful, but I've recovered several working PGA motherboards from e-waste bins. LGA motherboards have a very low survival rate if the processor is removed and not replaced with a blank because if anything at all lands on that open socket it's probably ruined. That is of course not going to be a priority for the manufacturers to care about but it's what I think about when comparing the two.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I've been off-and-on shopping for a specific old 775 motherboard and when those are sold used, they almost always include some random P4 or Celeron because those are worth less and easier to find than the blanks

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Cygni posted:

Yeah I meant the tests change and they don’t retest every CPU. I get why they don’t, but it limits the usefulness of a “put everything on one list” system when you can’t put everything on one list anymore, but they broke that a few years ago. The whole thing likely needs some attention/love.

When tests change they do retest every cpu. Thats why there is CPU 2019 and CPU 2017. The current list CPU 2021 has 95 cpus freshly tested. https://www.anandtech.com/show/11425/launching-the-cpu-overload-project-testing-every-x86-desktop-processor-since-2010

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

MikusR posted:

When tests change they do retest every cpu. Thats why there is CPU 2019 and CPU 2017. The current list CPU 2021 has 95 cpus freshly tested. https://www.anandtech.com/show/11425/launching-the-cpu-overload-project-testing-every-x86-desktop-processor-since-2010

...what? Like the linked article says, they want to run all of em in the latest tests, but they explicitly haven't because its insane. There are lots of parts that are only in the older test versions, which you see just by looking at the lists. Which is what I was talking about.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Speaking of AT, they retested their 11700k with a newer microcode. Some small performance improvements, it is now very slightly faster than a 10700k instead of very slightly slower. Supposedly there are more microcode and BIOS changes still coming before the 30th, but AT at least doesn't think they will make much of a difference.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16549/rocket-lake-redux-0x34-microcode-offers-small-performance-gains-on-core-i711700k

So if that makes the 11700 just a 10700 with PCIe 4, AVX-512, and TB4/USB4... I guess the question is how much of a price premium would you pay for that? Microcenter will sell you a 10700F for $219, or a 10700K for $239. The more performant 5800X is $430. Feel like the window is pretty tight for pricing if they actually want to sell any.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cygni posted:

Speaking of AT, they retested their 11700k with a newer microcode. Some small performance improvements, it is now very slightly faster than a 10700k instead of very slightly slower. Supposedly there are more microcode and BIOS changes still coming before the 30th, but AT at least doesn't think they will make much of a difference.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/16549/rocket-lake-redux-0x34-microcode-offers-small-performance-gains-on-core-i711700k

So if that makes the 11700 just a 10700 with PCIe 4, AVX-512, and TB4/USB4... I guess the question is how much of a price premium would you pay for that? Microcenter will sell you a 10700F for $219, or a 10700K for $239. The more performant 5800X is $430. Feel like the window is pretty tight for pricing if they actually want to sell any.

Microcenter pricing really isn’t representative of the market as a whole. I agree that the 11700 is in a tough spot, and likely to be uncompetitive unless they cut price a ton. The 11400 should be competitive because it’ll have to be cheap as hell to exist at all, and to boot it will be cooler because they’re not trying to beat anything in specific with it.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Twerk from Home posted:

Microcenter pricing really isn’t representative of the market as a whole.

Well sure, but like 13 of the top 15 metros in the US have one which is like 2/3rds of the US pop, so I think it is a better barometer for the US landscape than MSRP or newegg/amazon is honestly. Microcenter is where AMD/Intel are really going tooth and nail on pricing, basically.

Sorry Florida, maybe you will get a microcenter one day!

(I am not cheerleading for Microcenter cause they sorta suck rear end, but at least they suck rear end and have good prices)

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Unlike Amazon and Newegg who don't suck rear end :v:

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Cygni posted:

(I am not cheerleading for Microcenter cause they sorta suck rear end, but at least they suck rear end and have good prices)

They are dead to me....

because they inexplicably closed their only Silicon Valley store many years ago

(and their main competition, Fry's, finally decided to go out of business a few weeks ago, not that they've been worth going to for several years now)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
are they even halting 10th gen production?

cuz like, 9th gen already has a discontinuation notice that went out in December of 2020, but the notice is only to announce that the last order date is for June 2021, and the final parts shipments to go out in December 2021

so there's presumably still going to be a lot of 10700s and 10850s floating around among the Rocket Lakes

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

BobHoward posted:

They are dead to me....

(and their main competition, Fry's, finally decided to go out of business a few weeks ago, not that they've been worth going to for several years now)

I was really salty about that too. Wonder if they’re planning to open more in the Bay Area now that Frys finally went tits-up.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Cygni posted:

Well sure, but like 13 of the top 15 metros in the US have one which is like 2/3rds of the US pop, so I think it is a better barometer for the US landscape than MSRP or newegg/amazon is honestly. Microcenter is where AMD/Intel are really going tooth and nail on pricing, basically.

Sorry Florida, maybe you will get a microcenter one day!

Phoenix also doesn't have a Microcenter. We had two Fry's, but not anymore!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
We had five Fry's in the SF Bay Area. We also had a Microcenter, but the lease ended like, 2015, and the owner declined to renew the option, and Microcenter went, "welp, peace."

I'd say "RIP to a real one" WRT the Fry's, but considering that they were still parroting the "we've got a new local distributor!" even as late as THIS January when I swung by to grab some patch cables and keystone jacks, they were frontin' the whole way.

Basically what I'm saying is "dear god please Microcenter come back, Central Computer is our only last recourse now, and they're not large to source components without going through a distributor".

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Mar 15, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Central Computer also seems to be borderline scalping themselves and seems to be reserving anything more than a 3060 for their own prebuilts or full-build packages.

They are giving periodic updates: https://www.centralcomputer.com/nvidia-30-series-information

Also, not all Micro Centers are chill. One in Ohio put out directions that collapsible chairs and tents were not allowed, and if you left the line at all, for any reason, you lost your space. Unless they kept someone from the company there after hours there'd be no way to enforce that, but based on my own observation when I pulled an overnighter to snag my 3090, the last employee of the Fairfax VA store (presumably the manager on duty) didn't leave until a little before midnight.

The 80Ti launch is probably going to be insane. I don't think it'll be next month, though.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

gradenko_2000 posted:

are they even halting 10th gen production?

cuz like, 9th gen already has a discontinuation notice that went out in December of 2020, but the notice is only to announce that the last order date is for June 2021, and the final parts shipments to go out in December 2021

so there's presumably still going to be a lot of 10700s and 10850s floating around among the Rocket Lakes

I guess that would depend on what contracts they have with big customers to guarantee supply/replacement parts for specific SKUs, but it will probably take a while before the production has been entirely phased out.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

SwissArmyDruid posted:

We had five Fry's in the SF Bay Area. We also had a Microcenter, but the lease ended like, 2015, and the owner declined to renew the option, and Microcenter went, "welp, peace."

I'd say "RIP to a real one" WRT the Fry's, but considering that they were still parroting the "we've got a new local distributor!" even as late as THIS January when I swung by to grab some patch cables and keystone jacks, they were frontin' the whole way.

Oh yeah they were frontin'. I doubt they ever actually got back in the good graces of normal distributors. The last few times I went, there were so many barren aisles, and what they did have was weird brands you'd never heard of before. I don't understand how they stayed in business even before COVID, there's something shady about it IMO.

Which fits because Fry's always was a little shady.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

BobHoward posted:

I don't understand how they stayed in business even before COVID, there's something shady about it IMO.

yeah absolutely, I completely don't get it. Their stores were barren since like beginning of 2018 at least, there were videos and discussions on forums at the time about "wtf is going on with fry's and the empty shelves".

I literally have no idea what the angle there was but I always suspected there must be some kind of money laundering or embezzlement or something going on there, like maybe the CEO owned the real estate company or something and was using that to bleed fry's. that's just random speculation out my rear end but it's a weird as gently caress business decision to keep an insanely expensive big-box storefront open for three years, keep paying employees, and not have any loving poo poo on the shelves to sell, there had to have been a gimmick.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Mar 15, 2021

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

BobHoward posted:

They are dead to me....

Wait, they did what?

How the gently caress does that make any sense.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I've lived in tiny rural backwaters without a Microcenter for most of my life, like Austin, TX.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Yeah, Fry's claimed over the last... year?, that they were working off consignment. As others have said, not sure what was going on, but it was still sad (to me) to see them go, since I have nostalgic memories from 20-25 years ago of going there to buy components when building/upgrading systems.

I'd like to think that Microcenter would come to Phoenix, but I doubt they will at a time when online sales dominate so much.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Twerk from Home posted:

I've lived in tiny rural backwaters without a Microcenter for most of my life, like Austin, TX.

There is one in Houston and one in Dallas I guess if you really really REALLY need to save $40 on a CPU (and spend it on gas instead)

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Cygni posted:

There is one in Houston and one in Dallas I guess if you really really REALLY need to save $40 on a CPU (and spend it on gas instead)

If you’re in Texas and want to be in Texas even more, those are certainly options.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Wanna have some fun, have your mind blown, and/or be frightened - and if you like RISC/CISC stuff, how about Massive Instruction Set Computing?
Poul Henning Kamp, who works on Varnish and FreeBSD, is working on an Ada-native Rational 1000 system (article translated with machine translation, but it does a pretty decent job).

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Intel's launch looks like it got moved to the 18th. It was originally rumored to be today. NDA is still the 30th-31st for performance numbers iirc:

https://videocardz.com/newz/intel-to-showcase-tiger-lake-h-and-rocket-lake-at-gdc-on-march-18th

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Paul MaudDib posted:

maybe the CEO owned the real estate company or something and was using that to bleed fry's.

The bolded part is true, they owned the real estate on all of their properties, anyway.

Speaking of major metros that have never had a Micro Center, Seattle/Tacoma certainly qualifies. Now that Fry's is gone, there's gotta be some kind of clamoring for it here.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Navaash posted:

The bolded part is true, they owned the real estate on all of their properties, anyway.

Speaking of major metros that have never had a Micro Center, Seattle/Tacoma certainly qualifies. Now that Fry's is gone, there's gotta be some kind of clamoring for it here.

I wonder if it is similar to Vancouver BC where there are a lot of smaller independent computer hardware stores usually opened by immigrants from Hong Kong/Taiwan. There were so many of them here and NCIX was one that became the largest and killed off quite a few but some still survive. Perhaps Seattle has a similar ecosystem?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Man, my 10900kf is so loving inconsistent on benchmarks and I can’t figure out why. It’s never cracking 80 degrees but it’ll swing by like 1500 points either way on cinebench r23 and I can’t figure out why.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Central Computer also seems to be borderline scalping themselves and seems to be reserving anything more than a 3060 for their own prebuilts or full-build packages.

They are giving periodic updates: https://www.centralcomputer.com/nvidia-30-series-information

Also, not all Micro Centers are chill. One in Ohio put out directions that collapsible chairs and tents were not allowed, and if you left the line at all, for any reason, you lost your space. Unless they kept someone from the company there after hours there'd be no way to enforce that, but based on my own observation when I pulled an overnighter to snag my 3090, the last employee of the Fairfax VA store (presumably the manager on duty) didn't leave until a little before midnight.

The 80Ti launch is probably going to be insane. I don't think it'll be next month, though.

Central Computer claims that because they are not large enough to secure direct contracts from OEMs, they have to go through distributors, who are adding their own markup before it gets to Central.

Between the 25% tarriff just for touching US soil, and then someone else getting a taste before selling it, yeah, that adds up to about what Central is selling it for. It burns, but they have them in stock, if you're willing to pay for it. Who knows if Central's parent company is the distributor or something, I'm sure there's *some* profit-taking going on.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Man, my 10900kf is so loving inconsistent on benchmarks and I can’t figure out why. It’s never cracking 80 degrees but it’ll swing by like 1500 points either way on cinebench r23 and I can’t figure out why.

Normally its not a problem with K-skus because motherboards throw the Intel power suggestions in the garbage as soon as it detects one, but it might be enforcing the Intel TDP limits? Normally that sort of run to run variance is a sign that something is either triggering a cut in clocks, or a background process is doing something screwy and sapping performance.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Cygni posted:

Normally its not a problem with K-skus because motherboards throw the Intel power suggestions in the garbage as soon as it detects one, but it might be enforcing the Intel TDP limits? Normally that sort of run to run variance is a sign that something is either triggering a cut in clocks, or a background process is doing something screwy and sapping performance.

I usually kill everything but the benchmarking and monitoring software (always something lightweight like GPU-Z or Coretemp) but I feel like I must be missing something in the background. The clock speeds are showing 5.1GHz without any drops if I run something that displays those. It’s gotta be some kind of software thing. I may just purge my boot drive and reinstall Windows in case I have something lurking there.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Hm, you could also try the old benchmarker tricks of forcing performance mode in the Nvidia control panel and in the windows power plan settings, set the priority to "Realtime", and trying to lock the benchmarks' exe to a specific core. I've heard some of those tricks backfire with a 10900k though, cause of Intel's golden core and TVB settings they introduced on Comet Lake. 2nd and 3rd runs since a reboot tend to be the highest scoring, after that they normally regress a bit and plateau. 1500 points is outside the normal realm of variance though.

Windows has a great many ways to screw up performance runs though. The people that go for world records often have benchmarker specific builds of Windows provided by manufacturers which are massively scrubbed of every possible service and driver stack.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

There's also the simple things like disabling NTP (any minute time adjustment will affect benchmarks), turning off clock fiddlers (ie. speedstep/turboboost; unless that's what you're testing), detaching all non-essential devices (as they generate variable amounts of interrupts), and temporarily turning off system logging.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Newegg pre order prices:

11900k - $569
11700k - $429
11600k - $279

Unless they’ve got some spare performance under the table we haven’t seen, that’s gonna be a pass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
11400 is $190 out of the gate. Could be good value down the road?