Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i4Nov7vSkmU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I see someone's been playing Hades....

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hostile V posted:

Learner's permits are still printed on a paperish material, aren't they?

I'm sure it depends on the state, but I got my permit in 1997 and it was plastic. In the following four states I've lived in since then, they've all been plastic other than the temporary ones they've printed for me at the DMV while they mailed the permanent ones.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

No new Rae the Doe on weekends!

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Slammy posted:

Outbursts of Everett True (May 7, 1918)

:stare: she just threw a man at his own stove and moved several hundred pounds

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

why hasn't this woman a chin

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Endless Mike posted:

I'm sure it depends on the state, but I got my permit in 1997 and it was plastic. In the following four states I've lived in since then, they've all been plastic other than the temporary ones they've printed for me at the DMV while they mailed the permanent ones.
Mine in 2006 NJ was paper, but god only knows just what the hell.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

EasyEW posted:

Sally Forth

So from left to right we've got Raideen, Gaiking, and Getter Dragon.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Dang the Mark Trail actually did lead into the weekend strip

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I don't get the "land shrimp" thing. Shrimp are crustaceans; crickets are insects.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Green Intern posted:

I continue to be astonished at how completely useless Axa is. Also, that’s a great way to ruin a sword.

Drakyn posted:

When you put it this way this entire comic comes off as some kind of Sisyphus thing. Axa escapes her life of safety to seek adventure and hot dudes and yet all her adventures leave her naught but a sexy lamp and no matter how vigorously and frequently she tears off her clothing all her hot dudes turn on her.

Here's a funny thing. A kind goon has been posting issues of Sonic the Comic in the CCCC Webcomics thread, and they have these comic adaptations of Sega games on the Genesis. One of it is based on Golden Axe and there's a character who looks like Axa, but acts as :black101: as Conan.

Seeing these makes Axa even more of a massive disappointment.

SubNat posted:

Moomin Goes Wild West

*Sounds of Lars furiously checking away at his 'western tropes to hit' checklist*
Apparently the 50s were very much the golden age of the Westerns, and they had a massive media presence, just like how Superheroes are now.
It does make me wonder how much of the western-mania made it's way over to europe, or if it was just a very specifically american thing for the most part.

This is completely out-of-character. Why isn't Snorkmaiden being horny for her captors and dumping Moomin for them? I call shenanigans! :v:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popular Comics

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Mary Worth is being written by a dog now, isn't it? Either that or a dog has kidnapped the writer's family and forced him to write this.

Dirk in the previous strips: "Axa, do you really trust these people?"

Dirk in these strips: "Woo hoo piracy let's steal poo poo and kill dudes!"

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

This is the laziest possible Superman joke you can make. It's not even a remotely interesting version of the joke. loving hack.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Stultus Maximus posted:

I don't get the "land shrimp" thing. Shrimp are crustaceans; crickets are insects.

crunchy on the outside gooey goodness in the inside

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's a dumb marketing term that cricket farmers are trying to make popular so people feel less gross about eating crickets. I suspect they stole it from pillbug farmers who were using it because pillbugs actually are crustaceans.

Bogor

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Twelve by Pies posted:

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

This is the laziest possible Superman joke you can make. It's not even a remotely interesting version of the joke. loving hack.

DC Comics was making this joke 55 years ago.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

It works because artists will draw Clark standing and behaving a bit differently that Superman, you loving hack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIaF0QKtY0c

Also god nobody makes that "joke" anymore.

The Dinette Set only has so many hours in the day.

Working Daze didn't ask for your input.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix might want to dial it back a bit.

Cul De Sac is not sure how we got here from there.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Did you buy that outfit for this video or did you just have it lying around, Mark?

Dinky Dinkerton and Flyin' Jenny Sept. 26th, 1940

amigolupus posted:

Here's a funny thing. A kind goon has been posting issues of Sonic the Comic in the CCCC Webcomics thread, and they have these comic adaptations of Sega games on the Genesis. One of it is based on Golden Axe and there's a character who looks like Axa, but acts as :black101: as Conan.

Tyris Flare kicks rear end, I'm really bad at Golden Axe but it kicks rear end, and I should check that out, it looks like a lot of fun.

Axa

The thing is, Axa can and does actively kick some rear end now and then, I just wish it was more frequent. Also, double feature 'cause I figured you'd want to see Dirk get chumped.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Evil Mastermind posted:

It works because artists will draw Clark standing and behaving a bit differently that Superman, you loving hack.

A lot has been said (in this thread, even) about the whole thing and it's other stuff too, like people thinking somebody with the power of a god would never want to just have an office job at a newspaper. Clark also acts a bit different in some incarnations and comes off as meek and kind of a pushover, which is completely different from how Superman acts. On top of that we also have seen that yes, just the addition of glasses and wearing completely different kinds of clothes can make a person look very different.

Plus, of course Clark Kent can't be Superman. If he took off his glasses, how could he see?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

A lot has been said (in this thread, even) about the whole thing and it's other stuff too, like people thinking somebody with the power of a god would never want to just have an office job at a newspaper.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
In a post Tony Hawk’s Existential Wasteland world complaints about Clark Kent’s glasses don’t really hold up.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 comics

I want panel 3 framed on my wall.

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Mr. Maltose posted:

In a post Tony Hawk’s Existential Wasteland world complaints about Clark Kent’s glasses don’t really hold up.

I keep seeing this take but it's not really comparable, Tony Hawk hasn't been big for over a decade and even then was famous as a name and a digital representation of very low fidelity rather than known for his face. Superman / Clark Kent is odd because of how people who are close to both aspects of his personality don't make the connection. But as masks during the current pandemic has shown, posture and such is way more important to recognising people than just the face, especially at distance.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Hel posted:

I keep seeing this take but it's not really comparable, Tony Hawk hasn't been big for over a decade and even then was famous as a name and a digital representation of very low fidelity rather than known for his face. Superman / Clark Kent is odd because of how people who are close to both aspects of his personality don't make the connection. But as masks during the current pandemic has shown, posture and such is way more important to recognising people than just the face, especially at distance.

It's true that I'm pretty face blind and also I've had relatively few problems recognising people with masks on, because I rely almost entirely on posture, body language, and voice.

What I'm saying is that I would 100% be fooled by Clark Kent.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

SubNat posted:

Apparently the 50s were very much the golden age of the Westerns, and they had a massive media presence, just like how Superheroes are now.
It does make me wonder how much of the western-mania made it's way over to europe, or if it was just a very specifically american thing for the most part.

I mean Italy started making their own after a while, so I imagine pretty popular. There are lots of Western fumetti too.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Maxwell Lord posted:

I mean Italy started making their own after a while, so I imagine pretty popular. There are lots of Western fumetti too.

There is a Belgian Western being posted in this thread at the moment, too.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack Getting 12 Oz Mouse flashbacks here

No Safe Havens on Sundays

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar The Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Ella Cinders

Zorro

Reply All

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

- zoom meetings where your boss yells at you if your eyes wander sounds like hell
- whiskers don't need trimming like that! they're nerve endings! ow ow ow!!!

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Don't worry, it's not like these people work for a comic book company or anythi

Slammy
Mar 30, 2011

Great speech.
PPHPFT!!
And He Did! (April 9, 1918)

Outbursts of Everett True (May 12, 1918)

Hitz and Mrs. (December 29, 1923)

Gay and Her Gang (April 22, 1929)

Oaky Doaks (September 21, 1935)

Dark Laughter (January 30, 1943)

Mopsy Sunday (January 25, 1948)

Those Were the Days (February 21, 1952)

Wee Pals (June 12, 1965)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Transmodiar posted:

Don't worry, it's not like these people work for a comic book company or anythi
I've said this before, but for all the "love" Batiuk has for classic comics, he doesn't seem to really understand them. It's a very surface-level appreciation, where he doesn't like the style or writing or anything, he just likes them because they're old.

The Dinette Set is very sure of what to do with all the extra ketchup packets.

Working Daze synergizes its paradigm.

Super-Fun-Pak Comix really hates that guy.

Cul De Sac does a killer solo.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

StrixNebulosa posted:

- zoom meetings where your boss yells at you if your eyes wander sounds like hell

Particularly when you note that the camera lens isn't in the same place as the screen with whoever's talking.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

If anyone ever complains about how they'd recognize Clark Kent as Superman with glasses you just need to show them Zooey Deschanel.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

I see a duck! No wait, it's a rabbit!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Is this the part of Mammilia where the wannabe ‘punk’ finally gets beaten to death for his crimes and privilege?

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Green Intern posted:

Is this the part of Mammilia where the wannabe ‘punk’ finally gets beaten to death for his crimes and privilege?

yeah, it'd be great if someone finally hosed up this gremlin

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nightcrawlers - 1957

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

duz posted:

If anyone ever complains about how they'd recognize Clark Kent as Superman with glasses you just need to show them Zooey Deschanel.

Also gotta remember that in the the typical Superman continuity he's known as a public alien who lives in a secret fortress and clearly works as a full time hero, while by contrast Clark Kent is that guy that's been on TV side by side with Superman a few times. So they look pretty similar, that doesn't mean you have to believe those cranks talking about fakery with shapeshifters and robot doubles and stuff.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Jul 24, 1952)

Calvin and Hobbes (Feb 9-10, 1989)

Robbie and Bobby

(Jul 3, 2019)

(Jul 22, 2019)

Support Jason's Patreon (and see new My Dad is Draculas) here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 3/14/01

Brenda Starr 1/28-30/46

Smokey Stover 12/17/39

Richard's Poor Almanac