Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Clocks posted:

NFTs are basically a pyramid scheme. You don't own anything real and you're just trying to hand it off to some other rube and hoping you're not stuck holding the bag.

What I haven't seen much discussion of here is that etherium is particularly trashy for the environment. I admit I don't know the technicalities but there was some artist whose minted NFT consumed the equivalent of like, 200 years worth of energy expenditure by one person.

They're basically speeding along our climate collapse at a point where it's crucial we try to get it under control. It's got art twitter up in arms because an artist choosing to put something up as an NFT themselves is basically choosing to burn a forest to make some money.

It's even funnier when you realize the big marquee sale to prime the scam, Beeple's bullshit, wasn't actually sold for USD, but for ETH. Trying to cash out $69m in ETH would tank the price through the floor.

https://twitter.com/ChristiesInc/status/1370436536626511879

Digital art sold for pogs, now that's post-modernism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
This is assuming it was sold for anything. The promoter is an old crypto grifter, who had an exchange that failed and took everyone's money. The purchase was basically an ICO token pump. Also, Beeple owned 2% of the tokens as of January - he was already in business with the buyer.

https://amycastor.com/2021/03/14/metakovan-the-mystery-beeple-art-buyer-and-his-nft-defi-scheme/

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Today just learned about Fractional NFTs. They accommodate multiple partial owners. So you can own 1/20th of an NFT along with a bunch of strangers. askhasjdhkajshdahahahahahahaha

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
There was some curiosity about whether the actual owner of the art can claim profit from the NFT. No idea about the *actual* answer but you'd think there would be a way around this. It's not illegal to profit off directing others to what is on the internet; if it was Google would be in trouble. Presuming the actual picture of LeBron or the Kanye Tweet exists legally you're selling the link with a convenient semi-permanent reminder and a nice way to further pass the link onwards.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Today just learned about Fractional NFTs. They accommodate multiple partial owners. So you can own 1/20th of an NFT along with a bunch of strangers. askhasjdhkajshdahahahahahahaha

The dream of one day being a controlling shareholder in fiestacat.jpg

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Hammerite posted:

The dream of one day being a controlling shareholder in fiestacat.jpg

I know you don't have to own a property to have Rule 34 made of it but I lol at the idea of an NFT millionaire buying up beloved anime just to turn it into sleeze.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

How can things keep getting even dumber?

https://decrypt.co/61316/an-ancient-nft-project-called-mooncats-is-eating-up-ethereum

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

divabot posted:

This is assuming it was sold for anything. The promoter is an old crypto grifter, who had an exchange that failed and took everyone's money. The purchase was basically an ICO token pump. Also, Beeple owned 2% of the tokens as of January - he was already in business with the buyer.

https://amycastor.com/2021/03/14/metakovan-the-mystery-beeple-art-buyer-and-his-nft-defi-scheme/

Oh so it’s a scam, I don’t know why I expected anything else.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Is it that cashing out that much eth would crash the market or that it would crash the b20 thing?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

twerking on the railroad posted:

Is it that cashing out that much eth would crash the market or that it would crash the b20 thing?

Its market cap is currently $213,478,256,295

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

What is the market cap of the US dollar?

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

jokes posted:

What is the market cap of the US dollar?

0.5 what fiat-hating coiners would pay for it, 1.5 what Scrooge McDuck executives would pay for it, and 1.0 what everyone else would pay for it in Euros at the current exchange rate. So presuming the number of the first two are equal it balances out to the total USD in circulation.

Bright Bart fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 14, 2021

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

twerking on the railroad posted:

Even trying to cash out a fraction of $69m would collapse ethereum and probably bring bitcoin down with it.

Which is to say the seller should definitely do it.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Its market cap is currently $213,478,256,295

Market cap doesn’t mean poo poo mate, that’s just current price times number of coins outstanding. Moons are valued at like 20 bucks each and there is like 216 trillion of them. Does that mean the market cap is 400 trillion, and that there is 400 trillion dollars in Reddit moons?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Drone_Fragger posted:

Market cap doesn’t mean poo poo mate, that’s just current price times number of coins outstanding. Moons are valued at like 20 bucks each and there is like 216 trillion of them. Does that mean the market cap is 400 trillion, and that there is 400 trillion dollars in Reddit moons?

Depending on who you ask the answer is genuinely yes

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
no it means according to coiners the market cap is 4320 trillion

catspleen
Sep 12, 2003

I orphaned his children. I widowed his wife.

Love talking about market cap with bitcoin when 1/21+ of total butts are locked away in satoshi’s wallets forever(?)

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
M8 have you heard of the 1%

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

xtal posted:

M8 have you heard of the 1%
Nope, please explain

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Crashing etherium would make for a pretty good art piece.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Apparently Ethereum is going to be updated so that the transaction fees are destroyed instead of going to anyone, which, lol

quote:

Ethereum’s upgrade, known as EIP-1559 and part of a broader move toward ethereum 2.0, will see the network’s current transaction-fee system overhauled, with users sending a fee to the network itself instead of the so-called miners that maintain the network. These fees will then be burned, reducing the overall ether supply—something that is itself a controversial topic among the cryptocurrency community.

“If bitcoin and its fixed supply is sound money, then if you have a decreasing supply, does that make [ethereum] ultrasound money,” asked Buterin, speaking on a recent episode of the Tim Ferriss Show podcast alongside tech investor Naval Ravikant. “Sound money” refers to a currency’s stability and utility as a store of value.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Buterin and the miners are in a battle royale over this, will be interesting to see what happens. Protocol changes against miners' interest seem pretty impossible to push through, though.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

It's even funnier when you realize the big marquee sale to prime the scam, Beeple's bullshit, wasn't actually sold for USD, but for ETH. Trying to cash out $69m in ETH would tank the price through the floor.

https://twitter.com/ChristiesInc/status/1370436536626511879

Digital art sold for pogs, now that's post-modernism.

beeple is going all-out burning his goodwill now, he made fanart of the auction winner using artwork he stole from someone else

https://twitter.com/silviovieiraart/status/1371117753868881927

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Oh God that quote

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/pacific/438341/tuvalu-chases-digital-immortality-on-a-blockchain

quote:

Tuvalu chases digital immortality on a blockchain

The tiny Pacific Island nation of Tuvalu is planning to go from having no online banking and only one ATM to using cryptocurrency.

Tuvalu's government aims to become the world's first paperless society, using blockchain technology to create a national digital ledger.

This would mean all of Tuvalu's data - be it legislative, executive, judicial or financial - would be stored online using Bitcoin Satoshi Vision's (BSV) public ledger.

It also wants to turn its cash economy into one using some form of digital currency.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

How is this supposed to drive down transaction fees? There's still going to be a limited number of transactions that can fit in each block given the data size of the block. There has to be some mechanism to decide who gets in a block or not.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Fame Douglas posted:

Buterin and the miners are in a battle royale over this, will be interesting to see what happens. Protocol changes against miners' interest seem pretty impossible to push through, though.
"Do the transaction fees belong to the miner? No, says the idiotic ideologue!"

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
does ethereum have some means to oblige miners to include transactions in blocks? because if miners don't have an incentive to include transactions in blocks... isn't that just going to mean that transactions won't make it into blocks unless they're transactions that the miners particularly care about?

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Someone needs to contact Ty and get them in on the NFT space.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hammerite posted:

does ethereum have some means to oblige miners to include transactions in blocks? because if miners don't have an incentive to include transactions in blocks... isn't that just going to mean that transactions won't make it into blocks unless they're transactions that the miners particularly care about?

Yes, transaction fees are the way miners are incentivized to include transactions in their blocks.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I would love to see someone just crash the crypto market by cashing out too much at once. It seems like as a fame-seeking possibility it's pretty good - they get actual money, and immortality as the Destroyer of Buttcoin or whatever. A fitting end to the long game of musical chairs would be a record scratch accompanied by all the chairs falling apart at once.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I would love to see someone just crash the crypto market by cashing out too much at once. It seems like as a fame-seeking possibility it's pretty good - they get actual money, and immortality as the Destroyer of Buttcoin or whatever. A fitting end to the long game of musical chairs would be a record scratch accompanied by all the chairs falling apart at once.
let me tell you about the Bearwhale

quote:

On Thursday, one of Bitcoin’s most celebrated moments was remembered, and its enduring mystery was finally resolved. The notorious person referred to only as ‘the BearWhale,’ came forward to tell his unexpected story and make a plea to the community.

While refusing to identify himself in many ways, the person in question posted a Bitcoin address and signed message as cryptographic proof that he was in control of at least 36,000 bitcoins in 2013 and 2014. He was initially drawn to bitcoin “after a series of bad experiences with the banking system,” and so he invested “most of life savings” into bitcoin, at a price “around $8.”

The BearWhale held onto the huge cache of coins through years of scandals and other bad news and was worth at least $37 million dollars at the end of 2013, the height of the MtGox bubble. He then rode Bitcoin’s price all the way down to $350, losing over two-thirds of his wealth.

Then on October 5th, 2014, after months of hearing daily about the scaling debate and agreeing with the need for bigger blocks in Bitcoin, the BearWhale lost faith in Bitcoin and transferred 30,000 coins to Bitstamp, which he trusted to sell them fairly. The following morning, he simply placed a sell limit order for $300 per coin. “I could have gotten a better price if I spent more time working the order I guess,” he told Reddit. “I put up the wall because I didn't want to just sit in front of the computer all day.”

There were “no IRS or police visits” after selling them, he revealed, putting an end to conspiracy theories about his motives. “I paid taxes on the gains. I wasn't nervous at all.”

Such a large sale was sure to move the market, and he realized at the time that he could have made much more money if he’d spaced out the sale into smaller trades over time. However, he explained that he was panicked about Bitcoin’s block size debate, and his goal was to unload the coins quickly and without a lot of manual intervention. “It worked,” he recalled. “I did not sell in panic. I just believed, incorrectly, in the ‘small blocks are bad’ narrative.”

At a market price of around $350 that morning, such a large sale on Bitstamp risked taking prices back to 2010 levels. Incredibly, soon after the “attack” on bitcoin’s price started, the community rallied to buy up all of his coins and maintain the market value. After six whole hours of his constant selling, the price jumped back up. The BearWhale had been “slain” - an event much celebrated in the community ever since, and reported in the mainstream media.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Gobbeldygook posted:

let me tell you about the Bearwhale

That is wonderfully dumb. That the true believers rallied around to desperately maintain the appearance of value under actual market pressure is so perfectly cultish and scammy.

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights
Did you see Bitcoin hit a new ATH of $60k poggers.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

salt shakeup posted:

honestly it's just nice to not have seraph drop in anymore every time it hits a new high

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

I recommend not mentioning him, ever, but I feel the same way, since you have

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

salt shakeup posted:

It's very strange how it jumped it more than 25% in like 10 days. Stable currency of the future for sure.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Again, and I can't believe I have to keep asking this, but why is an obviously deflationary currency supposed to be a good thing?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Somfin posted:

Again, and I can't believe I have to keep asking this, but why is an obviously deflationary currency supposed to be a good thing?

It's good for the people who hold it, because gently caress you got mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It's like Schrodinger's valuation - as long as it stays in the hodl box it is simultaneously worthless and work $60k or whatever. If someone actually opens the box to cash out the cat dies.