Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
warch
This poll is closed.
warch 68 44.44%
warch 85 55.56%
Total: 153 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

"Praise the Sun!" - K***ht Solaire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jay Rust posted:

Sorry but your name for your character, “Bill the Assassin”, contains inappropriate language , it will be displayed as “Bill the ******in” when playing online

My absolute favorite example of censors going wrong would have to be DotA's ****terblast Crown/Core

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Fuckterblast...

Edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB9cj38WeCY

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I was just trying to ask if he smoked cigarettes and wanted to shorten it to something easier to type so I used a slang word and left smoke out of the sentence

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I am sure that is good too but I hope you are able to "support the Sophia Shop" in the near future

you got that organ riff stuck in my head

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nkxb6KXVaE

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Baba Is You update; its tight

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Thank you for your patronage!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
A person showed me this kickstarter and I need to share it with the rest of you because good lord this is just some absolutely tryhard grimdark edgelord poo poo.

Kickstarter page is :nws: for nudity, but my lord the writing is just so bad.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/abyssstaresback/lucid-soul-the-game

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

"What would FF6 be like if you played as Kefka? First and foremost, there would be way more sex."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

"how playing as Magus in Chrono Trigger would affect the world", eh

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
the classic final fantasies (4, 6)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

"What would FF6 be like if you played as Kefka? First and foremost, there would be way more sex."
I've gone my whole life without ever thinking about Kefka getting laid and I was very happy with that, so thank you for that mental image.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Relax Or DIE posted:

the classic final fantasies (4, 6)

to be fair i never hear people talk about 1, 3, or 5

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

to be fair i never hear people talk about 1, 3, or 5
you arent looking close enough if you dont see people talk about 5 constantly, especially during the fiesta

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I think 3 has risen in the public consciousness since 14 uses a lot of stuff from it

Edit: this feels like peak "classic FF" to me TBH in every way possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EGzhEJjxOs

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Mar 15, 2021

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i forgot to even put 2 in the list of final fantasies nobody talks about. that is how much thought space i have devoted to final fantasy 2 (none)

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Acerbatus posted:

My absolute favorite example of censors going wrong would have to be DotA's ****terblast Crown/Core

What's the word being censored here?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Kerrzhe posted:

i forgot to even put 2 in the list of final fantasies nobody talks about. that is how much thought space i have devoted to final fantasy 2 (none)

it's the one that took chances and ended up bad, if i have my mental notes right

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Kerrzhe posted:

"whither the wild rose blooms"

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Jolo posted:

Shat.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Jolo posted:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Fuckterblast...

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
My favorite part of silent hill is when harry confronts the sexy lady who gets off on giving birth to spiders

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think 3 has risen in the public consciousness since 14 uses a lot of stuff from it

Edit: this feels like peak "classic FF" to me TBH in every way possible

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EGzhEJjxOs
ff1 has a lot of the final fantasy essentials, but 3 is probably the actual root of the series and final fantasy aesthetic, and is why tanaka was so highly respected at square until ff14 1.0

but also its a game thats totally made redundant by ff5 existing, and the ds version is bad

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I see both pro/anti takes for every FF game in the series except for 2/3 which I only see negative posts about. What's different about the DS version, since Im assuming thats the one basically everyone played? I remember stopping at a big swamp with poison damage tiles after you get access to like, the Pirate class or something

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

its not like the famicom version is a great game either, mind you, the ds version just makes a bunch of weird balance changes that inconsistently effect the difficulty. they tried to make it easier overall but it occasionally spikes hard. also ff3 has a mechanic to limit frequently changing jobs, in the og one its points you earn as you fight and then spend to change depending on how different the new job is from the old one, in the DS version you can change whenever you want but you get penalized for a certain number of battles, and thats just straight up worse. its pretty much just a time wasting mechanic at that point

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I know people love FFV and maybe mechanically it is a Perfect Game or whatever.

But I never fell in love with its music and music is like 70+% of FF to me.

Meanwhile this is the Iconic Song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VRWlmXuv8E

Edit: going "poggers" at this moment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tyuIh12_HU&t=275s

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Final Fantasy 5 is my favourite one of the SNES trilogy games, which is mostly because the job system just makes it a lot more mechanically interesting to play for me - there's far more player involvement in the development of your characters than in the more conventional (and arguably more simplistic) systems of FF4 and FF6.

The story is pretty perfunctory and forgettable by comparison, though, with no really memorable villains or much in the way of personal character arcs for your own party. If people don't talk much about it, it's probably because there just isn't really a whole to talk about in that sense, not because they didn't like it as a game.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I played FF5 on a GBA emulator in high school and I got to the spooky world which felt like a long way in at the time but who knows. Other than that I don't remember a single thing about the game

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Probably the worst part is that FF3 has a bunch of fights that are pretty much designed to be tackled with certain team comps, meaning that you pretty much waste time adjusting to new jobs every time those happen.

Though the worst part is the job levels they added. I assume they wanted to add job levels to make things a little more interesting and encourage specialization but they went a bit too far. Job levels have a pretty significant impact on your job, and they max out at 99. Basically encouraging you to stay in one job the entire time, in a game that also wants you to experiment with combinations to beat tough fights. It's a mess.

For bonus points, job level also affects Thief's steal chance, so good luck stealing anything if you don't have a permanent thief.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

:ohno:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HnguIsj-tQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-M-aN1cFdo

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Final Fantasy 2 is what led to the SaGa series so I'm glad it tried some weird poo poo even if it turned out poorly.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I know people love FFV and maybe mechanically it is a Perfect Game or whatever.

But I never fell in love with its music and music is like 70+% of FF to me.

Battle on the Big Bridge is easily one of the top 5 songs in the entire series.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

Battle on the Big Bridge is easily one of the top 5 songs in the entire series.

It's all right, I probably got incepted by it being used for jokey goof fights in XIV

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
There's this thing called super fan builds where they build over the top nerdy stuff for people and one of them was a final fantasy themed kitchen knife set and it bothered me so much that the kitchen block was Ultros instead of Gilgamesh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qm6m8TEyfcc

It should've been Gilgamesh holding those knives dammit

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I like Ultros just fine but Gilgamesh is easily one of the best characters to come out of the entire franchise. He has more personality than most protagonists.

Baykin
Feb 11, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's all right, I probably got incepted by it being used for jokey goof fights in XIV

I think you mean it made those jokey goof moments suddenly turn into amazingly great fights.

Edit: I definitely see how having those be the introduction of that song could warp it a bit, but coming from the other direction, those fights with that music are probably my top 5 overall musical experiences in the entirety of FFXIV, which we both know is jam packed full.

Baykin fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Mar 15, 2021

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Video games

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Michael Fantasy was the first time I'd ever heard Battle on the Big Bridge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZEAC27GysI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Still mad at my sister for purposely deleting my GBA FF5 save because I called her high school friend annoying