Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

redleader posted:

i'm hoping that tf&tws gives me a reason to care about either of them. i've never found falcon interesting at all, and bucky seems to be a nothing more than a macguffin to throw at captain america whenever some Plot is needed

yeah, same here. the first 3 eps were great if you liked the old-timey, gentle sitcom comedy, but imo the series was at its best around the middle

I'm really hoping they pull off a Wandavison and make me care about the characters, because I'll be honest, I've almost written off Anthony Mackie as an actor. He was real bad in Altered Carbon and had no charisma in All the Way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story
The irony is that on the press circuits for these movies he's the only one with any personality whatsoever

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Ravel posted:

Is FATWS supposed to lead into any other upcoming movie? What other movies would these two possibly show up in? Black Panther 2?

Surprisingly they haven't say, only that it's part of Phase 4. And yeah, sounds like they could link to Black Panther 2. Loki definitely looks as something that could be part of Dr. Strange's more than Thor. But who knows, they've been very quiet about it.

Guess they want to avoid another "fan theories" scenario like with Wandavision.

redleader posted:

i'm hoping that tf&tws gives me a reason to care about either of them. i've never found falcon interesting at all, and bucky seems to be a nothing more than a macguffin to throw at captain america whenever some Plot is needed

I gotta confess that Macky's acting never landed with me. BUT I hope that now having more screen time we the audience can connect better with the characters. It's a world of difference , I don't know, 20 minutes or less of Falcon in a movie to 4 or so hours in a show.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Ravel posted:

The irony is that on the press circuits for these movies he's the only one with any personality whatsoever

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because Altered Carbon s2 was absolute trash, and All the Way was a Bryan Cranston vehicle and he got all the juicy scenes whereas MLK got like 10 minutes and weirdly not much to do. And in the MCU the Falcon got even less screen time than Wanda Vision it seems.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Rewatch Winter Soldier because Mackie is great in his debut. It’s all the movies that came afterward that sucked the life out of his performance because he’s just tossed into the background.

We were robbed of a proper Cap 3 and the expansion of Falcon’s character is yet another casualty of that.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Thundercracker posted:

I'm really hoping they pull off a Wandavison and make me care about the characters, because I'll be honest, I've almost written off Anthony Mackie as an actor. He was real bad in Altered Carbon and had no charisma in All the Way.

Check out his Black Mirror episode 'Striking Vipers'. He's really good in that.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Grimdude posted:

I don't know, but I've heard plenty of people in this thread and elsewhere claim that Disney "trolled" viewers by hinting at a popular character being around/doing anything important and then pulling the rug at the last second. Kind of seems like it shouldn't be surprising that people were rightfully disappointed that they took possibly the most boring route to "intentionally" irritate people.

It reminds me of Schrodinger's Joke or whatever I heard it called. Someone says something not funny and/or offensive, and it will be simultaneously just a joke and not a joke depending on how people react to it.

If you're talking about Evan Peters's role, he was being around doing important things. Just not the things that certain people expected/wanted him to be doing. His job was to knock Wanda off balance and make her vulnerable and distracted by her desires and expectations. He did that. At the same time the show used him to do much the same thing to that audience - using their desires and expectations of "OMFG Qucksilver! Bettany's actor will be Ian McKellan! No, Patrick Stewart! No, Hugh Jackman!!! X-Verse coming to a Westview near you!!!!!" to wrong-foot them. Really, to let them wrong-foot themselves. Because if you actually watch Peters's performance as "Fietro" you can see that there's something off about him in a way that has nothing to do with mutants.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Everyone posted:

If you're talking about Evan Peters's role, he was being around doing important things. Just not the things that certain people expected/wanted him to be doing. His job was to knock Wanda off balance and make her vulnerable and distracted by her desires and expectations. He did that. At the same time the show used him to do much the same thing to that audience - using their desires and expectations of "OMFG Qucksilver! Bettany's actor will be Ian McKellan! No, Patrick Stewart! No, Hugh Jackman!!! X-Verse coming to a Westview near you!!!!!" to wrong-foot them. Really, to let them wrong-foot themselves. Because if you actually watch Peters's performance as "Fietro" you can see that there's something off about him in a way that has nothing to do with mutants.

Baiting the audience with casting and putting it in a cliffhanger at the end of an episode was bound to have predictable consequences in a mystery show and if the audience gets mad when they don't fulfill that bait it's a little rich to feign ignorance and say "well that's their fault for raising their expectations."

It's like if you had one of those cakes that looks like other food and you offer somebody some and they bite into it and make a face and you cry "I never said it wasn't cake! You set those expectations up yourself!" Except it was a boner.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Ralph boner. Tony Mackie. These names are getting preposterous

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Ravel posted:

Is FATWS supposed to lead into any other upcoming movie? What other movies would these two possibly show up in? Black Panther 2?

Probably not, the show was originally supposed to come out last fall just before Eternals. It, like Black Widow and Shiang Chi that were planned to come before it were probably meant to serve as single serving palate cleansers before they got back to the meta plots.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Thundercracker posted:

i liked him in Synchronic

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Desperado Bones posted:

Sebastian Stan is hot.

Mystery solved.

Oasx posted:

It was the same in this thread early on, many people didn’t like the sitcom style and preferred more standard mcu.

For me the problem was the opposite, I liked the sinister and creepy feeling that something was very wrong, and disliked it when it became standard MCU punch fest. Which is exactly what FATWS looks like. Wandavisions first 6 episodes where great, and then it fell off a cliff the last 2, for me.

Its Rinaldo posted:

Baiting the audience with casting and putting it in a cliffhanger at the end of an episode was bound to have predictable consequences in a mystery show and if the audience gets mad when they don't fulfill that bait it's a little rich to feign ignorance and say "well that's their fault for raising their expectations."

It's like if you had one of those cakes that looks like other food and you offer somebody some and they bite into it and make a face and you cry "I never said it wasn't cake! You set those expectations up yourself!" Except it was a boner.

Right. The studio clearly put in a lot of effort to trick people, not just within the show itself but by having the cast say poo poo like "oh i can't wait until you all find out who the aerospace engineer is" or "The final episode cameo will BLOW YOUR MIND". It's doing the sherlock thing where they tease something interesting and then just drop it entirely and call you an idiot for expecting a payoff.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
None of the cast or crew ever teased that poo poo (aside from Bettany making a joke about playing opposite himself), it was 99% the internet running wild with speculation and clickbait sites taking Twitter and Reddit randos and running them as confirmed sources.

No one tricked you. You were let down by your own expectations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Big Mean Jerk posted:

None of the cast or crew ever teased that poo poo (aside from Bettany making a joke about playing opposite himself), it was 99% the internet running wild with speculation and clickbait sites taking Twitter and Reddit randos and running them as confirmed sources.

Is the actress playing Monica part of the cast and crew?

https://screenrant.com/wandavision-aerospace-engineer-identity-theory-teyonah-parris-response/

Yes or no question

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Also looking at someone is actually using the "it's just a prank" defense for Disney

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

McCloud posted:

Is the actress playing Monica part of the cast and crew?

https://screenrant.com/wandavision-aerospace-engineer-identity-theory-teyonah-parris-response/

Yes or no question

That’s a clickbait link that uses all of two actual sentences from her interview, so let’s see what she actually said.

The aerospace engineer turned out to be a Skrull. It directly ties into Captain Marvel 2. That’s what she was excited about.

It’s not her fault or anyone else’s that the internet selectively misinterpreted her words and immediately jumped to the conclusion that it would be Reed loving Richards or any of a dozen other wild guesses.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I don't think it's unfair to say the show teased a lot of interesting stuff and then went nowhere with it. The Sherlock comparison is very apt.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Bettany stuff I'm fine with it's goofy but ultimately not a big deal but the Evan Peters is legit just setting up the audience for a fall and not in a good way.

I haven't watched an X-Man movie since X-Men 2 so I don't give two shits about X-Men in anything but I can see why people would be annoyed by the show going "lol nope that's on you! Ignore everything else that has every existed in the MCU teasing characters and plot lines acclimating you to think this might mean something y'all just reaching!"

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Varinn posted:

the biggest draw of this show is someone getting Marvel Money to do something ambitious/weird, so its wild that people just wanted a TV show version of a regular mcu movie. they're gonna keep making those

I think for most fans the biggest draw is more mcu. If you are a comicbook fan there are so many stories left to tell, and the movies are never going to be able to tell more than a fraction of them. If it's something new and interesting like WandaVision then that is a plus, but not needed.

McCloud posted:

Right. The studio clearly put in a lot of effort to trick people, not just within the show itself but by having the cast say poo poo like "oh i can't wait until you all find out who the aerospace engineer is" or "The final episode cameo will BLOW YOUR MIND". It's doing the sherlock thing where they tease something interesting and then just drop it entirely and call you an idiot for expecting a payoff.

Do you seriously think that the studio asked the cast to say these things? This is how movies work, actors get seriously exited about the stuff they are doing and you just need to take those statements with a grain of salt.
It's like Bettany's comment about the actor he wanted to work with, I can almost guarantee that he simply thought that was a funny joke, and didn't consider that some people would be grinding their teeth in anger.

cyclical
Nov 26, 2005
No, not that one.

Daduzi posted:

Yeah, that's the mystery. I mean, sure, you might notice him at the local 7-11 but in the MCU? He's half a Chris at best.

It's funny because I don't find Chris Evans attractive at all. Too much of a generic beefy blond, does absolutely nothing for me. Same for all the other Chrises, who blend into One SuperChris for me. Sebastian Stan, though? Yeah, I'm here for that. Anyway, it's not that big of a mystery if you know fandom even a little bit: he's a hot guy, who was tortured (literally and figuratively) and sad and bad-rear end and vulnerable in The Winter Soldier. It was a pretty nice cocktail of a lot of things that are going to appeal to a lot of people.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

We were robbed of a proper Cap 3 and the expansion of Falcon’s character is yet another casualty of that.

I've seen people refer to Cap 3 as "Iron Man 4" (or "Avengers 2.5") and well, they're not wrong.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
the quicksilver thing is definitely on the show for setting people up to be disappointed. you can make arguments that maybe people got way too 'pepe silvia' about other things, but there was no way the fietro thing wasn't going to be a big letdown for the majority of viewers. as i stated before, i don't think they were trolling or deliberately winding people up. i think they just thought it would be fun. but casting peters after the recent fox acquisition (while things like jamie foxx's electro and alfred molina's doc ock are being confirmed for the next spider-man) really is a big tease and i don't think that particular one is on the fans.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The aerospace engineer turned out to be a Skrull. It directly ties into Captain Marvel 2. That’s what she was excited about.

incredible fan-focused surprises like "captain marvel 2 will feature characters from captain marvel 1"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Bleck posted:

incredible fan-focused surprises like "captain marvel 2 will feature characters from captain marvel 1"

She’s talking about characters that’ll be in Captain Marvel 2 showing up in WandaVision. She’s excited about this largely unrelated show teasing something from an upcoming movie. That’s the surprise. That’s what she’s excited about. It’s not some grand conspiracy to pull a bait and switch.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
The Skrull wasn't the engineer though. She appeared to be disguised as an FBI agent. As far as we know, the engineer was just someone who owed Maria a favor.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

MiddleOne posted:

I don't think it's unfair to say the show teased a lot of interesting stuff and then went nowhere with it. The Sherlock comparison is very apt.

In the end it was just a $200 million costume reveal

Geo Fixer
Jan 10, 2012

"Freedom lies in being bold."
-Robert Frost

McCloud posted:

For me the problem was the opposite, I liked the sinister and creepy feeling that something was very wrong, and disliked it when it became standard MCU punch fest. Which is exactly what FATWS looks like. Wandavisions first 6 episodes where great, and then it fell off a cliff the last 2, for me.

He's hot to the kinds of folk who find the guys from Supernatural hot.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My mum, whose sum total of research into the show was the summary on Disney+ and casually watching half the MCU and X-Men movies (mostly with me), was excited about X-Men Quicksilver and was pissed off at the boner joke. He was an audience favourite in the very successful X-Men franchise and you don't need to obsess over extraneous details as a casual observer to think that the speedster named Peter "from the cool time stop scene in that one movie" wasn't a dick joke

The hype and disappointment of that reveal was entirely self contained and didn't need any comics knowledge or actor teasing bullshit

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Disney should troll people more.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Geo Fixer posted:

That's like every woman on the internet.

That show was...prolific. For some various reasons. :sweatdrop:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BrianWilly posted:

That's like every woman on the internet.

That show was...prolific. For some various reasons. :sweatdrop:

And not afraid to lampshade it, either.

"They know we're brothers, right?"
"That doesn't seem to matter."

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Oasx posted:

I think for most fans the biggest draw is more mcu. If you are a comicbook fan there are so many stories left to tell, and the movies are never going to be able to tell more than a fraction of them. If it's something new and interesting like WandaVision then that is a plus, but not needed.

Do you seriously think that the studio asked the cast to say these things? This is how movies work, actors get seriously exited about the stuff they are doing and you just need to take those statements with a grain of salt.
It's like Bettany's comment about the actor he wanted to work with, I can almost guarantee that he simply thought that was a funny joke, and didn't consider that some people would be grinding their teeth in anger.

I think once is an accident, thrice is a pattern. And whether intentional or not the result was they set expectations they had no intention of following through and that's very much on them. And all that besides, I'm not inclined to give disney the benefit of the doubt on anything

Big Mean Jerk posted:

That’s a clickbait link that uses all of two actual sentences from her interview, so let’s see what she actually said.

It’s not her fault or anyone else’s that the internet selectively misinterpreted her words and immediately jumped to the conclusion that it would be Reed loving Richards or any of a dozen other wild guesses.

So we've moved from "no on from the cast and crew said nothing like that!" To "ok she did say exactly that but it was taken out of context!"
So uh, cool, thanks for clarifying that she said what I said she said about the engineer ( who wasn't a scrull btw, the scrull was an fbi agent)

Geo Fixer posted:

:hmmyes: checks out, i don't find them attractive either

Jedit posted:

And not afraid to lampshade it, either.

"They know we're brothers, right?"
"That doesn't seem to matter."

Which, unfortunately, ties it back to Wanda and Pietro :v:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Geo Fixer posted:

:hmmyes:
Blandly handsome but not actually interesting looking white guys.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

:hmmyes:
Blandly handsome but not actually interesting looking white guys.

Blandly handsome should be an oxymoron, but i know exactly what you mean.

It's like how all the bachelor dudes look indistinguishable from each other and came from the same cloning vat

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

McCloud posted:

Blandly handsome should be an oxymoron, but i know exactly what you mean.

It's like how all the bachelor dudes look indistinguishable from each other and came from the same cloning vat

"Meet your contestants; Kyle, Lyle, Brian, Ryan, Tyler, Kyler, and Skylar!"

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
It's funny cause Ackles was considered for Cap like Stan was so clearly Marvel had a type.

live with fruit fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 15, 2021

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Emily VanDerWerff has a great piece in Vox about WandaVision and the problem of “justice” in fiction: https://www.vox.com/culture/22325656/wandavision-finale-justice-disappointment-story-karma

quote:

The protagonist of any story takes both moral and immoral actions across the course of that story, and the storyteller’s responsibility is to understand which actions are which — and, more importantly, to signal to the audience that they have actually thought about this. We will go along with the worst, most venal protagonist alive if we know the storyteller knows their protagonist is awful. The second that level of understanding starts to slip, however, it becomes much easier to doubt the storyteller knows what they’re doing. We want our gods to be just. We know they aren’t always. But we want them to know when they’ve screwed up.

The use of story karma differs from story to story. In some cases, an exact balancing of the moral scales is called for. (Star Wars, with its very clear-cut good-versus-evil binary, might be a good example.) In others, good or innocent people will be asked to suffer endlessly because that is what the story requires of them. (Think of the Stark kids from Game of Thrones.) In still others, horrible people will get away with horrible things. (Think of Tony Soprano or Breaking Bad’s Walter White.) In all of these cases, the storytellers tipped their hands to say, “Yes, we know what’s going on,” which made it easier to just enjoy the ride. [...]

Compare Breaking Bad to WandaVision, a series that seems trapped by its refusal to acknowledge its protagonist’s culpability in events beyond having her feel really bad about what she did, you guys. The loss of her husband and children, which should theoretically offset her karmic ledger, doesn’t hit as hard because it’s a direct consequence of her immoral actions. Sure, she’s sad, but that loss is an offshoot of her original sin.

What many WandaVision viewers are waiting for is that plane crash in the sky, that reassurance from the show’s storytellers that they know what she did was just that awful. In that case, Wanda could get away with far worse, and we’d all breathe easier, knowing that somebody somewhere had their eye on the scales of justice.

Where our tales of the fantastical, particularly superhero tales, fall short is in their frequent struggle to understand that even if their stories involve larger-than-life characters and situations, the moral framework we expect them to exist within is basically the same as our own. The further we get into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, however, the harder it becomes to ignore the way it nurtures a near-fascistic sense that a powerful being should be allowed to do what they want, so long as they feel kinda bad about the collateral damage at the end of the day.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Final FatWS trailer, lots of new footage! And is that... The Tinkerer from the Miles Morales video game...?!

EDIT: ah no, that's Erin Kellyman, from Solo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojGHE581lsM

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Mar 15, 2021

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

I think Dean, Thor, and Cap are insanely hot :colbert:

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Can we all agree that the MCU is just full of hot people?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
F&WS has gotten more interesting by having the super-powered humans of unknown origin hook, but I will still be pleasantly surprised if it is great.

None of the promotional material has had U.S. Agent or some of the other characters that have been leaked/cast, so it seems like they are not revealing a lot of the major plot points (or they are actually going to be minor plot points). I still have no idea what the overarching story or plot of the show is supposed to be.

It also has an uphill climb for me because Falcon and Winter Soldier are fairly boring characters in the movies. Well, Winter Soldier is very interesting and has some of the best scenes in the MCU, but "Bucky" is less interesting.

The fact that they are revealing basically nothing means that it really could end up falling anywhere between boring or great. But, the promo materials are a 5.5 out of 10 in the interest-grabbing department. Whereas, Wandavision's promos were much more interesting. That could just be inherently due to the mystery of the format and more "important" characters, though.