Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Platystemon posted:

This thread being consistently months ahead of the expert consensus would be the funniest thing on this comedy forum it it weren’t so sad.

What's really funny is the reason why it's true. Posters in this thread keep making predictions based on incredibly simple rules like "if someone coughs on you, it's bad." For some reason, experts keep trying to make predictions by figuring out all the specific ways that it's okay for someone to cough on you or how many people can safely cough on each other in an enclosed space.

It's totally understandable since the question has always been "how can we open things up?" and not "should we open things up?" but it's also kind of crazy how pervasive the delusion is despite being wrong over and over and over again. And when this is all over, everyone will agree that those experts were right all along because we're not literally all dead and human society still exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Freezer posted:

To non-Americans it is baffling that people wonder whether they should drive a couple of hours to get a vaccine. Hell, I'm considering flying to the US with all the overhead that entails just to be able to get a shot this year.

yeah seriously all the posting in this thread gives me the impression that the US is practically swimming in shots and it's just bureaucratic bullshit that's stopping people from getting them

my sister is supposed to get her first shot of AZ tomorrow, and I have a cousin who got Sinovac last week, but that's because they're both doctors

I don't know when I'm going to get mine, if ever

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

facetoucher cat posted:

So uh, I kinda wonder what type of HVAC system they've got. Building wide systems should be switching from heat to cool here soon

it’s a hundred year old converted tenement, so a couple radiators in the hallway lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Paradoxish posted:

What's really funny is the reason why it's true. Posters in this thread keep making predictions based on incredibly simple rules like "if someone coughs on you, it's bad." For some reason, experts keep trying to make predictions by figuring out all the specific ways that it's okay for someone to cough on you or how many people can safely cough on each other in an enclosed space.

someone once posted that if there was a disease that infected people through eye contact people would go "can I peek a little bit?" and "I've been really good at not looking at other people for six months, so therefore it should be safe for me to look at people this one Saturday"

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Platystemon posted:

It’s twenty‐five degrees right now in New York City with a forecast high today of thirty‐eight degrees.

Sounds about time to flip the heat bc landlords hate their tenants

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

jetz0r posted:

my parents got vaccinated last week. my mom got a 'Is that a respirator?!' from the admissions nurse, and my dad got to have a nice chat about his respirator while getting the shot.

they've been doing really well in this. wearing n95s until I could order some respirators for them, treating clothing/packages in the biohazard style hot/warm/cold zones, keeping outside clothes separate, even spraying down their shoes with disinfectant before getting out of the car at home. some of it seems excessive, but gently caress it, better they act like the world is a biohazard lab than going out to eat some applebees.

I want to meet your parents someday to remember what it feels like to relate to someone older

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah seriously all the posting in this thread gives me the impression that the US is practically swimming in shots and it's just bureaucratic bullshit that's stopping people from getting them

It's more like we're in a weird spot where we're not distributing all of the vaccines that we have, but we also don't have enough vaccines for everyone. That's leaving a perfect donut hole for anyone willing to put in some effort, because it turns out there aren't that many people willing to put in the effort/lie on a form.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

theflyingexecutive posted:

it’s a hundred year old converted tenement, so a couple radiators in the hallway lol

Why did this make me laugh?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I just switched tv providers and now get Fox News for the first time in my life. (Australia, home of Murdoch monopoly)

The first thing I saw was a propaganda piece on "safely" reopening schools, followed by Fox and Friends gushing about how important teaching religion in school is. Truly bizarre.

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
*me sitting on my porch looking at the busy sky*

"Wonder why there's so many planes, let's check it out!"

"Well that doesn't seem TOO bad, let's look at the rest of the US!"

*starts singing the sound of silence, but the disturbed edition*

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Strong Sauce posted:

checked back a couple pages and didn't see this posted yet, apologies if it was.

https://twitter.com/KATUNews/status/1371283759706873858

Here's the bodycam footage in case anyone hasn't seen it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zc2KyarK7w

Also:

quote:

Wright told The Washington Post that she has never covered her face inside stores, even when the statewide mandate was in place. She said she was in an RV park across the bay from Galveston in Hitchcock, Texas.

She told the newspaper she was "attacked" and compared mask requirements to the way that Nazi Germany forced Jewish people to identify themselves with a Star of David. She also said she believed in a "plandemic" in a reference to a documentary-style video in which an anti-vaccine activist promotes a string of questionable, false and potentially dangerous coronavirus theories.
LOL

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
An entire solid year of Americans shoving every other American off of the top of cliffs, where the random upward winds can sometimes be enough to protect those who fell but then they run right back to the top of cliffs to rejoin the shoving, because respected capitalists made everyone feel that this is ok to do.

Happy Thread has issued a correction as of 12:22 on Mar 15, 2021

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Here's the bodycam footage in case anyone hasn't seen it yet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zc2KyarK7w

Also:

LOL

i wasnt expecting to like this video as much as i did

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

A Queensland health team working in Papua New Guinea found that 50% of Covid tests they did in the last few days were returning positive, which is really, really bad and shows uncontrolled spread there.

https://twitter.com/sbsnews/status/1371330990614802435?s=21

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

BigOlTater posted:

Went out to eat for the first time since the lockdown yesterday evening, it was great. Tables were a little farther apart than I remember last year, but other than that and the fact all the wait staff had on cloth masks, it was back to normal. Both of us were vaccinated, so no worries there. Feels great to get back to real life again.

This post is a trap.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

restaurant-goers are scum

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

gradenko_2000 posted:

my sister is supposed to get her first shot of AZ tomorrow, and I have a cousin who got Sinovac last week, but that's because they're both doctors

I don't know when I'm going to get mine, if ever

There's still a huge shortage. About half of states are opened up to a very large group of nebulous health conditions and people in those states can F5 thier way in to a shot reliably if they are willing to drive somewhere that might be a couple hours away and people in the other half of states still don't even know when they'll get a shot. It's all stupid bullshit all the way down.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Thoguh posted:

There's still a huge shortage. About half of states are opened up to a very large group of nebulous health conditions and people in those states can F5 thier way in to a shot reliably if they are willing to drive somewhere that might be a couple hours away and people in the other half of states still don't even know when they'll get a shot. It's all stupid bullshit all the way down.

yeah I'm sorry that came off pretty glib and bitter

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Thoguh posted:

Yeah, like it's still impossible to book an appointment in CT if you don't qualify, and it doesn't really matter how much effort you're willing to put in. Anyone who really wants to get jabbed is probably looking at a 6-8 hour drive or a flight somewhere.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

this guy is really popular among the parent-child death pact set in my community:

https://twitter.com/VPrasadMDMPH/status/1370107941550845953?s=20

what is it about supposed healthcare professionals that takes them to such a dark place

Forseti
May 26, 2001
To the lovenasium!

RBC posted:

i wasnt expecting to like this video as much as i did

Lol that was fantastic.

:freep: : "People are recording this!"
:cop: : "I'm recording this."

:cop: : "Are you trying to speak spanish to people???"

:freep: : "This is what happens when you don't wear a mask people!!!!"

:cop: : "*sigh* Jesus chri" *video cut*

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Insanite posted:

this guy is really popular among the parent-child death pact set in my community:

https://twitter.com/VPrasadMDMPH/status/1370107941550845953?s=20

what is it about supposed healthcare professionals that takes them to such a dark place

This loving guy.

https://twitter.com/VPrasadMDMPH/status/1332349435997679622

Vinay Prasad and Jeffrey S. Flier April 27, 2020 posted:

And scientists agree that it will likely take 18 months or longer to develop a vaccine, if one ever succeeds. As for cloth masks, we see arguments on both sides.

At the same time, academics must be able to express a broad range of interpretations and opinions. Some argue the fatality rate will be closer to 0.2% or 0.3% when we look back on this at a distance; others believe it will approach or eclipse 1%. Some believe that nations like Sweden, which instituted social distancing but with fewer lockdown restrictions, are pursuing the wisest course — at least for that country — while others favor the strictest lockdown measures possible. We think it is important to hear, consider, and debate these views without ad hominem attacks or animus.

calm_hitler.png

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
We're going to be at 150m doses administered by the end of the month if the distribution mismatch keeps getting solved by people willing to drive. At 103m now, +2.5m/day and climbing, 15 days left. 135m already delivered.

Edit 70m people dosed at least once. I still think that's gonna stall hard around 100-110

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 13:32 on Mar 15, 2021

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

As a fun side effect of all you guys driving 20 hours out to nowhere Pennsyltucky to get a shot, when Ozzy Flu hits in ‘28 we’re going to make sure nowhere Pennsyltucky is top priority for Koalavac distribution.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Paradoxish posted:

It's totally understandable since the question has always been "how can we open things up?" and not "should we open things up?" but it's also kind of crazy how pervasive the delusion is despite being wrong over and over and over again. And when this is all over, everyone will agree that those experts were right all along because we're not literally all dead and human society still exists.

To built on your post:

The way people interact with COVID information seems to be premised entirely on differing heuristics. It has completely overtaken rationality and logic, mostly regardless of sphere.

One of the absolutely weirdest things in this thread has been the posters writing "so you changed your minds about the vaccine? :smug:", as if that was some kind of own. The thread changed once the phase 3 trial data rolled in and our own little heuristic was satisfied (the rich got it), which is pretty much the way things are supposed to work. The liberals consider that an own, because their blind faith in institutions makes them accept a priori that of course the vaccines will solve everything: the institutions they trust told them so.

The chuddier posters post about how they've been going out to Applebee's and haven't gotten COVID, so therefore their heuristics are correct, that actually COVID is overblown and really it is just the flu. The institutions they trust told them so.

The doomposting leftists on the other hand are jaded as gently caress and don't trust anybody, so we are relegated to look at facts, logic and numbers. The rare heuristics utilized are inverted (or mistrust based), like the rich going out of their way to get the Pfizer vaccine means it actually works.

Now that seems like I have cast us as the rational crowd and the others as dumbasses (just like they have), but the key difference is this: we are correct more often than not. Unsurprising, considering we just follow the incredibly simple logic you mentioned.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Insanite posted:

He's not wrong. All school reopenings require is not giving a poo poo about children and opening the gently caress up.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pingui posted:

He's not wrong. All school reopenings require is not giving a poo poo about children and opening the gently caress up.

the verbal components required to cast covid19 death ward include "data" and "science" and "psychological harm"

masks shouldn't interfere with this excepting some heavier respirators

(there is virtually nowhere else on the internet where you can talk like this without getting buried in "believe in science" poo poo and it seriously bums me out)

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

Pingui posted:

To built on your post:

The way people interact with COVID information seems to be premised entirely on differing heuristics. It has completely overtaken rationality and logic, mostly regardless of sphere.

One of the absolutely weirdest things in this thread has been the posters writing "so you changed your minds about the vaccine? :smug:", as if that was some kind of own. The thread changed once the phase 3 trial data rolled in and our own little heuristic was satisfied (the rich got it), which is pretty much the way things are supposed to work. The liberals consider that an own, because their blind faith in institutions makes them accept a priori that of course the vaccines will solve everything: the institutions they trust told them so.

The chuddier posters post about how they've been going out to Applebee's and haven't gotten COVID, so therefore their heuristics are correct, that actually COVID is overblown and really it is just the flu. The institutions they trust told them so.

The doomposting leftists on the other hand are jaded as gently caress and don't trust anybody, so we are relegated to look at facts, logic and numbers. The rare heuristics utilized are inverted (or mistrust based), like the rich going out of their way to get the Pfizer vaccine means it actually works.

Now that seems like I have cast us as the rational crowd and the others as dumbasses (just like they have), but the key difference is this: we are correct more often than not. Unsurprising, considering we just follow the incredibly simple logic you mentioned.

this is so dumb i cant believe i read it

please nobody else make this mistake

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Pingui posted:

To built on your post:

img-big jerkoff motion

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s incredible how many people are shocked, shocked that the pandemic is in its second year.

What the gently caress did they think was going to happen? Once there was community transmission on every continent, it wasn’t going to just pack its bags and go home.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
A heads up to anyone having gotten the AZ vaccine (from the Danish FDA):

https://translate.google.com/transl...eneste-14-dage/ posted:

(..)
If you have been vaccinated with AstraZeneca vaccine within the last 14 days and experience signs of skin or mucosal bleeding, seek medical advice. There may be a greater tendency for bruising - but not at the injection site, which is completely normal - or small punctate haemorrhages in the skin or haemorrhages that do not stop as usual.
(..)
If you have been vaccinated with the AstraZeneca vaccine within the last 14 days, you should be aware.

It is common for pain and redness to occur at the injection site, fatigue, headache, muscle and joint pain, chills and fever after vaccination. When a vaccine activates the immune system, many will experience flu-like symptoms. It is quite common and a sign that the body's immune system is responding to the vaccine. The reactions are seen with most types of vaccines and they are usually over within a few days. A bruise at the injection site of the vaccine is also expected.

Other conditions, which can be symptoms of blood clots, must be responded to.

A low platelet count can affect the blood's ability to clot. If, as mentioned, you experience signs of skin or mucous membrane bleeding in the form of a greater tendency to bruises, small punctate bleeding in the skin (petechiae) or bleeding that does not stop as usual, then it is important to seek medical attention.

In addition, there may be other different symptoms of blood clots, depending on where in the body the blood clot occurs. For example, it could be:

Severe headache
Severe abdominal pain
That the leg gets cold
That you suddenly and unexpectedly get pain in parts of the body
Difficulty breathing
Paralysis in one side of the body
However, blood clots can also show up in other ways. Therefore, you should generally pay special attention if you have been vaccinated with the AstraZeneca vaccine within the last 14 days. One should seek medical attention if:

You experience prolonged symptoms after vaccination (ie goes beyond the typical 3 days after vaccination)
You experience worsening of symptoms
You experience new symptoms after the commonly known, transient symptoms that many people experience in the first days after vaccination have disappeared.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
What a coincidence that the vaccine that is least effective is also the only one implicated in serious adverse events.

Gates sure knows how to pick ’em.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Platystemon posted:

It’s incredible how many people are shocked, shocked that the pandemic is in its second year.

What the gently caress did they think was going to happen? Once there was community transmission on every continent, it wasn’t going to just pack its bags and go home.

weve_tried_nothing_and_were_all_out_of_ideas.mp4

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
So - if i have this right.

Between us not vaccinating kids and 1/3 of the deplorables in this country refusing to let Bill Gates Microchip them, we're ensuring COVID sticks around for a while.

On top of that, we're opening schools up again just as solid studies come out showing that kid are petri dish super spreaders?

And then on top of that, we have the British Variant (More Contagious, but not more deadly, vaccines still work), The South african Variant (Some of the vaccines don't work and immunity isnt there), two Brazilian variants (might as well get ebola) and a California Variant?

Sounds like 2021 and 2022 are lost.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

RBC posted:

A bit too close to home then.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Platystemon posted:

That's the thing that really bothers me about the vaccine. It's full speed ahead openerup, despite the fact that it doesn't give you immunity to COVID, everyone is out there acting like it's over despite the fact, we're at what? 10% vaccinated.

COVID-19 was the tutorial level, and America can't even deal with it properly.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Platystemon posted:

honestly I think people just expected this to go away once everyone started to get bored

edit:

Iron Crowned posted:

That's the thing that really bothers me about the vaccine. It's full speed ahead openerup, despite the fact that it doesn't give you immunity to COVID, everyone is out there acting like it's over despite the fact, we're at what? 10% vaccinated.

we're still only like 20 seconds into the opening sprawl of the disaster movie lol

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo

Insanite posted:

The power over life and death

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

^^^ gently caress

Iron Crowned posted:

it's completely insane to me that we're not waiting for better studies on post-vaccine transmission before jazzing people up to dine out and party down.

it's beyond insane that testing kids 2-3x per week isn't even in the "back to school now" conversation. i guess it would be inconvenient to know for sure if kids are contributing heavily to community spread, though?

Insanite has issued a correction as of 14:07 on Mar 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lil poopendorfer
Nov 13, 2014

by the sex ghost

RBC posted:

it's a solid gbs post circa 2008