Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The lame in Spain voted for the pain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

was let down by people who didn’t have anything to offer is an improvement from the british historically speaking

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I'm British and live in Spain but I took the bold and unpatriotic decision to learn Spanish

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

That will help you evade the Spanish deportation squads.

https://twitter.com/QuislingT/status/1370778607199608834

Imagining Spanish police just walking behind a gaggle of overweight gammons as they waddle away from a bar cradling their pints. Wait a minute for them to get tired then slap on the xxl cuffs.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Captain Splendid posted:

I'm British and live in Spain but I took the bold and unpatriotic decision to learn Spanish

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I know it’s not a 1-1 analogue, but isn’t that like if a bunch of rude, racist Texans voted for Texas to secede, won the vote, and then moved to Mexico? I just don’t understand, why vote leave and then move? what is the cultural touchstone im missing?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

I know it’s not a 1-1 analogue, but isn’t that like if a bunch of rude, racist Texans voted for Texas to secede, won the vote, and then moved to Mexico? I just don’t understand, why vote leave and then move? what is the cultural touchstone im missing?

Metric tons of brain worms.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

genericnick posted:

:bahgawd:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

genericnick posted:

...tonnes of brain wyrms?

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
Lol if the US thinks it has the authority on boomers full of lead poisoned sponge brains.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/barnabyraine/status/1371422510789623809?s=21

this is one of those British names where I’m just like “oi, you lot are just stealin’ the piss now”

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

Spain is to English boomers what Florida is to American boomers.

Being in the EU made it incredibly easy for them to retire to Spain while still being able to fly back home for special occasions. Since their entire worldview was fed by right-wing anti-EU propaganda they voted to leave in order to make Britain a sovereign country once again, with powers to keep all the brown people out.

Being sovereign citizens of God's Own Country and descendants of an empire that once spanned the globe, they never dreamt that other countries might regard them as immigrants.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

If the brain worms didn't come in metric, then why would they migrate to the continent? Checkmate atheist.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

so next fortnight is going to be fireworks with the eu , illegal british immigrants start get deported en mass from spain, and the eu impose a hard border with northen ireland or sanctions for the City

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Ironically Spain can do this because EU countries have sovereignty over who they allow into their territory.

Meanwhile with a massive drop in the number of EU citizens legally allowed to work in post-Brexit Britain, the UK will likely have to loosen immigration restrictions on migrant workers coming from actual brown people countries to make up the shortfall.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The fun thing to remember about the murder of Charles De menezes was literally the only evidence they had was him being, to quote, "swarthy"

That's extremely pro statue

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Bust Rodd posted:

Other way round. Moved to Mexico then voted for Texas to secede and won.

But still didn't want to move back because the weather's poo poo and everything costs more.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

gonadic io posted:

Articles like that are the only thing keeping me going at this point.

I have extremely mixed feelings.

On one hand, those are the very changes making my situation much more difficult.

On the other hand those tears are so, so tempting to just gorge on.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Ironically Spain can do this because EU countries have sovereignty over who they allow into their territory.

Eh, they kinda don't, but they have some power over residences and visas outside the normal schengen route.

And I'm not even talking about EU citizens here, there's little if almost none sovereignity to prevent those.

e: Effectively there's a required minimum of sorts with regards to residences, visitors, refugees and work and family visas, including their portability across schengen. The UK did get in trouble for skirting that in the past, because of course it did.

Private Speech has issued a correction as of 13:04 on Mar 15, 2021

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Early in the 21st Century, right wing media advanced Gammon evolution into the BREXIT phase - a Gammon virtually indistinguishable from a glazed wet sack of bread

After the dumbest referendum in human history, Gammons were declared illegal in Spain - under penalty of deportation.

Special police squads - GAMMON RUNNER UNITS - had orders to arrest, upon detection, any trespassing Gammon. This was not called deportation. It was called karma.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

The fun thing to remember about the murder of Charles De menezes was literally the only evidence they had was him being, to quote, "swarthy"

That's extremely pro statue

I remember the usual suspects trying to say that because he was an electrician he would have had wires hanging out of his backpack which would have looked suspicious, plus he jumped the barrier so the police had no choice but to start blasting in the middle of a crowded station

Even aged 15 I loled at the notion of him going to work with a bag full of cables and leads just trailing behind him, like as if bakers jump on the tube with bags full of flour and a rolling pin in each hand

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

you’ll absolutely get gammons comparing themselves to anne frank as they’re hiding in the attic of their fancy villa while the “GestapEU” kick their doors in

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

the sex ghost posted:

I remember the usual suspects trying to say that because he was an electrician he would have had wires hanging out of his backpack which would have looked suspicious, plus he jumped the barrier so the police had no choice but to start blasting in the middle of a crowded station

Even aged 15 I loled at the notion of him going to work with a bag full of cables and leads just trailing behind him, like as if bakers jump on the tube with bags full of flour and a rolling pin in each hand

I remember as soon as the news came out myy mum going "christ I hope they got the right guy"

Then every day being another "this thing the cops said turned out to be a lie but they have a new lie" backed up by the Ipso or dpp or whatever and just working your way through the cumulative lies until the media loses interest.
Now its become very recognisable to me.

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

the sex ghost posted:

It's almost as dumb as thinking a suicide bomber would walk onto the tube carrying a backpack where the bomb has wires dangling out for all to see, the day after a terrorist bombing.

IIRC it turned out he wasn't carrying any kind of bag and didn't jump the barrier. The only evidence was that he was running to catch a train and had "Mongolian eyes".

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

It's almost as dumb as thinking a suicide bomber would walk onto the tube carrying a backpack where the bomb has wires dangling out for all to see, the day after a terrorist bombing.

IIRC it turned out he wasn't carrying any kind of bag and didn't jump the barrier. The only evidence was that he was running to catch a train and had "Mongolian eyes".

Iirc even that he was running was another lie after the others had failed.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

it dont matter posted:

That will help you evade the Spanish deportation squads.

https://twitter.com/QuislingT/status/1370778607199608834

Imagining Spanish police just walking behind a gaggle of overweight gammons as they waddle away from a bar cradling their pints. Wait a minute for them to get tired then slap on the xxl cuffs.

This is funny but the only source I can find for it is global247news.com which doesn't really have the whiff of reliability. Hope it still happens for the lolz though.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I'm like the anne frank of lancashire if anne frank threw up on the sidewalk 3x a week

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Communist Thoughts posted:

I remember as soon as the news came out myy mum going "christ I hope they got the right guy"

Then every day being another "this thing the cops said turned out to be a lie but they have a new lie" backed up by the Ipso or dpp or whatever and just working your way through the cumulative lies until the media loses interest.
Now its become very recognisable to me.

Wow, wonder what happened to that DPP?

Oh, he's leader of the Labour Party now of course.

Did anyone post Police union pissing and crying coz the Fire Brigade Union attacked them for their handling of the protests?

https://twitter.com/MPFed/status/1371131486422847494?s=19

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
dogshit party messaging

https://twitter.com/UKLabour/status/1371425480478441474?s=20

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

endlessmonotony posted:

I have extremely mixed feelings.

On one hand, those are the very changes making my situation much more difficult.

On the other hand those tears are so, so tempting to just gorge on.

I admit that a lot of how I can be blasé about it is because after the vote passed I got my Irish passport and I'm planning on moving this year. My own personal remain, as it were.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Liberalism in the 2020s is gonna be about threading the needle between doing anything about anything and proving you love statues enough

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

hmmm yeah th e problem isn't that some tiny fraction of reported rapes get prosecuted and the conviction rate for those is falling, the problem is that the tiny percantage of rapists who do end up in prison aren't spending long enough there

also loving "of cours we want to gently caress the churchill statue and hate fly tippers" bit

CactusWeasle
Aug 1, 2006
It's not a party until the bomb squad says it is
wow Spain might be worth a visit soon now they've kicked out all the riff raff

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

:getin:

https://twitter.com/DanielFerrie/status/1371449873464225792?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

lmao

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1371455217720496128?s=20

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Spain is to English boomers what Florida is to American boomers.

Being in the EU made it incredibly easy for them to retire to Spain while still being able to fly back home for special occasions. Since their entire worldview was fed by right-wing anti-EU propaganda they voted to leave in order to make Britain a sovereign country once again, with powers to keep all the brown people out.

And because of this a lot of Leave-voters (in the UK and those actually living in the rest of the EU) had little to no idea what the EU actually did or was responsible for. They thought that the EU was just about enforcing the metric system, giving us straight bananas and forcing us to give 'hooman rights' to criminals and 'illegals'.

A bunch of them just weren't aware that it was the EU that also allowed them to move to Spain as easily as moving to a different county in Inger-land, and was responsible for them being able to receive Sky and make phone calls and get Jameson's sausages and so on and on and on.

And of the ones that were aware that the EU was actually behind these sorts of thing, a good portion fell for (or enthusiastically embraced...) the rhetoric about how we were going to get the Best Deal Ever and They Need Us More Than We Need Them and all that poo poo, so none of this Project Fear stuff would actually happen

It builds on the usual dangerous mix of British exceptionalism crossed with Boomerism where nothing bad can ever happen to you and all your life the system has basically worked to fulfill your every whim.

Related anecdote:

Last year I got a gig putting my sailing skills to good use when someone needed a couple of crew to help get his sailing yacht from Malta to Gibraltar (he had spent years living on the boat drifting around the Med and was now essentially fleeing to a British port before Brexit and national lockdowns took effect).

The guy was a platonic ideal gammon - from Yorkshire, in his 60s, ex military, had set himself up in the building and landlord business, made a small fortune and had this boat and a house in Spain. From the times when conversation skirted into the subject he was very, very keen on Brexit.

The plan was to do the trip non-stop, but the forecast wind never arrived so we had to make two unplanned calls in ports along the way for food and fuel.

The first was in Algeria, and the owner/skipper got really angry at the very notion that Algeria would require customs and immigration checks on a foreign boat randomly turning up in one of its major ports. The harbour master looked like Alexei Sayle and was friendliness personified (we weren't allowed to leave the port but he went across the road to a bakery to buy us spicy pastries) and the customs, police and navy guys who came aboard to do the paperwork were officious but perfect polite, especially given the language barrier (Captain Gammon of course didn't speak any French or Spanish and had gently mocked me for attempting to learn a few words of Maltese so we had to make do with my C-grade-at-GCSE French and the Algerians' adequate English).

Cpt. Gammon went on and on about how it was outrageous that they were treating him like some sort of criminal and that it proved that Algeria was just 'an inherently hostile country'. I did diplomatically try pointing out that if an Algerian-registered boat with three Algerian guys on it turned up unannounced in Felixstowe you can bet the Border Force, HM Coastguard etc. would at best give them exactly the same treatment we'd had. I also thought (but didn't say) that he was almost certainly the sort of person to want Very Strong Controls On Immigration and people pitching up in boats on British shores.

A week later when we stopped in Spain there were no customs checks, just a quick look at the passports and taking down the boat's name on the harbour register...because Spain is in the EU and at the time the UK was still in the transition period. "See, that's how it should be, no fuss, no hostility, just a welcome" beamed Cpt. Gammon. I did try and point out that it was because of the EU and not because the Hispanic Peoples are inherently more friendly than whatever slur he'd chosen for the Algerians that day but didn't press the point as I still had to spend another four days afloat in a 46-foot plastic box with him

Anyway, he was already climbing over the railing and making a beeline for a British pub bedecked with Union Jacks so he could watch Sky and have a Full English...

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

bojo is going to be in the conservative hall of fame right next to maggie

lmao at the 52% of labor voters who are still satisfied with keith

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
The idea of Spanish officers raiding a lovely coastal pub and bagging and tagging red faced boomers fills me with such joy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

estimating that this sudden surge of EU expats being deported back to the UK will accelerate our transition to failed state status by about, ooh, a month

:regd08: