Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
Milo Minderbinder but a wrestler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smikey
May 22, 2004
It's not a hootenanny, it's an extravsganza!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

That was a tv workout personality gimmick, right?

I mean more like a wrestler running a pyramid scheme within the confines of the show somehow.

Vince?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember Chavo having a short lived gimmick as an Amway guy. He would try to distract his opponent with random mail order products. Like he set up Dude Love with some headphones and a lava lamp, then tried to pin him.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember Chavo having a short lived gimmick as an Amway guy. He would try to distract his opponent with random mail order products. Like he set up Dude Love with some headphones and a lava lamp, then tried to pin him.

Chavo had the Amway gimmick in 1999 WCW so it wouldn't have been Dude Love but you're right

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
I feel like Matt Hardy’s character could pivot into a MLM guru kinda gimmick, especially after losing the big money match to Page.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Alaois posted:

Chavo had the Amway gimmick in 1999 WCW so it wouldn't have been Dude Love but you're right
poo poo, it was Brad Armstrong as "Buzzkill." Chavo got a gimmick where he used tricks to win and lost anyway, to an obscure version of Brad Armstrong.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Rusty Shackelford posted:

A conversation about Multi Level Marketing in the WWE thread made me wonder - what would a wrestling mlm gimmick look like?

big money matt in aew?

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:

davidbix posted:

To spin off something else that just came up: Besides The Undertaker using the tombstone piledriver and Sting using the scorpion hold/scorpion deathlock, what other wrestlers had finisher choices that were dictated by the move or hold's established name fitting with their gimmicks?

i crack/pinged when I realized The Sharpshooter... The Hitman.... like 2-3 years ago, and being a Bret mark since like birth ( :canada: )

e: I guess that's not really the same thing as a ton of wrestlers have moves named based on their gimmick, but I still find it mind boggling that i didn't realize that for so long

Hirez fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Mar 15, 2021

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Let's say that Vince McMahon dropped dead tomorrow. His quads explode and he chokes on a steak wrap. Whatever.

What does WWE look like a year from now? Who's still there? Who had been forced out of management? What does the product look like?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lamuella posted:

Let's say that Vince McMahon dropped dead tomorrow. His quads explode and he chokes on a steak wrap. Whatever.

What does WWE look like a year from now? Who's still there? Who had been forced out of management? What does the product look like?

honestly i'd bet it would look and feel mostly the same, with maybe a few less spite push changes and a little more coherency in storyline from week to week

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lamuella posted:

Triple H is in the midst of his second reign of terror, and whenever he's not on screen everybody else asks where he is.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Low Desert Punk posted:

could someone give a brief overview of the role of women in lucha libre in the 70s and 80s? I find luchadoras really interesting but it's hard to find information from earlier time periods and I'm not that knowledgeable about lucha in the first place. How were they treated (by fans and promoters) in comparison to women in Japan and the US at the time? who are some big names i should know? I know Pantera Sureña but that's about it.

The first thing you have to know is Mexico City banned lucha libre from television in the 50s. That means that the largest market in Mexico had no wrestling on TV. Not many other states banned wrestling, but because Mexico DF had the ban, most everyone else thought it wasn't necessary to have TV either.

The second thing you have to know is Mexico City banned all women's wrestling in the 50s. I believe the reason was that it corrupted the minds of children. While this didn't stop other states, most notably Nuevo Leon, Baja California and Chihuahua, from having women on cards, it did create the mentality that women's wrestling wasn't very important.

So when you put this together, you have a world where very little is taped, and almost all of our knowledge of results, card lineups and "it was said to be a good match" comes from the wrestling magazines. These were varying levels of kayfabe, and almost all of them were based out of Mexico City. Mexico City magazines usually covered shows in the Mexico DF area and surrounding states with some lip service to the bigger shows in Monterrey, Juarez, etc. Together, this creates a world where magazines are the only thing you can trust, but they don't really cover outside of central Mexico and they do not care about women's wrestling.

This is why you don't hear a lot about Mexican women's wrestling at this time. Just not a lot of good sources. We do know who some of the bigger stars are because they would appear on some of the bigger mixed-gender cards in Monterrey, Tijuana, Jalisco and other hotbeds of Mexican indies. Three of the biggest names at this time are Vickie Williams, plus Irma and Lola Gonzalez (no relation). Irma Gonzalez and Williams would hold the UWA Women's title. Not a lot of tape of these two in their prime. We have tape of Irma later in her career when she's a legend, and we have tape of Lola from the mid/late-80s doing shots in AJW, but not a whole lot of stuff from inside Mexico.

I wish I had more for you, we just don't really have anything. In 1986, Mexico City lifted the ban on women's wrestling. This led to a bunch of belts forming, but none for CMLL until 1990. We have a lot more footage of wrestling from the 90s because Antonio Peña was very progressive and saw that women's wrestling was the future, plus CMLL had a working relationship with AJW. The one thing I can tell you about how wrestling looked in the heyday of the 70s: it was supposed to be a rougher style closer to Japanese wrestling. Kurt Brown talks about this on the Lucha World Podcast sometimes. Back then, there were no women only wrestling school, all women had to wrestle with the men. This means they wrestled closer to how the guys on Mexican indies did at the time, which means lots of technical wrestling, lots of brawling and lots of blood.

If you try to look at any Mexican wrestling from this period, you'll come across this lack of footage roadblock; I hope this is helpful to you at least

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Mar 15, 2021

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

If you want to get angry, I've heard that CMLL has tapes of Arena Mexico shows going back to the 70s that they won't put out. No idea why other than lol cmll

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Lamuella posted:

I doubt there would be much of a change-up as far as talent relations or the agents making matches or the writing staff but I also believe that the product would make more sense on the whole and probably have better builds to matches.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The terrible camerawork might improve since reportedly neither Triple H nor Steph give a gently caress about Kevin Dunn

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Realistically I'm not sure how many changes Triple H would be able to make that quickly. Investors would already be wary that McMahon is dead and would probably want him to keep as much of the structure intact as possible.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
To follow up about luchadoras, what luchadora would have the best chance of being a star for AEW or WWE?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

DeathChicken posted:

The terrible camerawork might improve since reportedly neither Triple H nor Steph give a gently caress about Kevin Dunn

I imagine Dunn is planning to resign when Vince dies, though I don’t see Vince dying any time soon; his mom is 100.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

He could probably make whatever creative changes he wanted because investors really don't care if Adam Cole is now on the main roster and getting a main event push, like, at all. Firing Kevin Dunn or any other top level personnel changes is another story

Red posted:

I imagine Dunn is planning to resign when Vince dies, though I don’t see Vince dying any time soon; his mom is 100.
this is very possible tho

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Vince's mom presumably has a much cleaner drug record than her big jacked boy, though

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Pylons posted:

Realistically I'm not sure how many changes Triple H would be able to make that quickly. Investors would already be wary that McMahon is dead and would probably want him to keep as much of the structure intact as possible.

My guess is, all the power would go to Steph, and from all indications, she's just like Vince, so I'd expect just more of the same.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'd expect no changes to the product but I do expect WWE to be sold to like Comcast 1 or 2 years after Vince's death.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Karma Tornado posted:

Vince's mom presumably has a much cleaner drug record than her big jacked boy, though

vince and hogan are like kissinger, they're going to live to see the world burn around us.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

To follow up about luchadoras, what luchadora would have the best chance of being a star for AEW or WWE?

She's 40 now but I think Faby Apache is good enough that she could be a star.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

El Gallinero Gros posted:

la hiedra

Lamuella posted:

She's 40 now but I think Faby Apache is good enough that she could be a star.

faby has a rep for not wanting to put over non-mexicans so i'm not sure how well she'd do in an american company

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Davros1 posted:

My guess is, all the power would go to Steph, and from all indications, she's just like Vince, so I'd expect just more of the same.
lol if anyone believes Vince's will is anything other than a Tolstoy-esque tome chock full of extremely specific details for how to run the company including a robust bleeding-edge tech booking AI.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Smoking Crow posted:

la hiedra

faby has a rep for not wanting to put over non-mexicans so i'm not sure how well she'd do in an american company

It was a mild surprise she actually lost her hair a few years ago, but who knows people change over time. I kind of expect her in AEW at some point but I don't think full time. It's so hard to say with AAA suing itself.

cauliflower jones
Nov 8, 2009

Pylons posted:

i feel like Gabe has more influence than HHH now, so i assume he'll take over the company

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

cauliflower jones posted:

i feel like Gabe has more influence than HHH now, so i assume he'll take over the company

Far as I know Gabe is firmly a HHH guy?

Which is hilarious thinking how 2005 me would react to that idea but here we are

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Shane is going to end up in charge it is going to be really funny.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MassRafTer posted:

Shane is going to end up in charge it is going to be really funny.

Three hours of RAW Underground and heavy breathing into a microphone every week

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Either Shane or Gabe are the funniest possible options.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

karmicknight posted:

Either Shane or Gabe are the funniest possible options.

dan rykert

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
If I knew who that was, sure whatever.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Smoking Crow posted:

The first thing you have to know is Mexico City banned lucha libre from television in the 50s. That means that the largest market in market in Mexico had no wrestling on TV. Not many other states banned wrestling, but because Mexico DF had the ban, most everyone else thought it wasn't necessary to have TV either.

The second thing you have to know is Mexico City banned all women's wrestling in the 50s. I believe the reason was that it corrupted the minds of children. While this didn't stop other states, most notably Nuevo Leon, Baja California and Chihuahua, from having women on cards, it did create the mentality that women's wrestling wasn't very important.

So when you put this together, you have a world where very little is taped, and almost all of our knowledge of results, card lineups and "it was said to be a good match" comes from the wrestling magazines. These were varying levels of kayfabe, and almost all of them were based out of Mexico City. Mexico City magazines usually covered shows in the Mexico DF area and surrounding states with some lip service to the bigger shows in Monterrey, Juarez, etc. Together, this creates a world where magazines are the only thing you can trust, but they don't really cover outside of central Mexico and they do not care about women's wrestling.

This is why you don't hear a lot about Mexican women's wrestling at this time. Just not a lot of good sources. We do know who some of the bigger stars are because they would appear on some of the bigger mixed-gender cards in Monterrey, Tijuana, Jalisco and other hotbeds of Mexican indies. Three of the biggest names at this time are Vickie Williams, plus Irma and Lola Gonzalez (no relation). Irma Gonzalez and Williams would hold the UWA Women's title. Not a lot of tape of these two in their prime. We have tape of Irma later in her career when she's a legend, and we have tape of Lola from the mid/late-80s doing shots in AJW, but not a whole lot of stuff from inside Mexico.

I wish I had more for you, we just don't really have anything. In 1986, Mexico City lifted the ban on women's wrestling. This led to a bunch of belts forming, but none for CMLL until 1990. We have a lot more footage of wrestling from the 90s because Antonio Peña was very progressive and saw that women's wrestling was the future, plus CMLL had a working relationship with AJW. The one thing I can tell you about how wrestling looked in the heyday of the 70s: it was supposed to be a rougher style closer to Japanese wrestling. Kurt Brown talks about this on the Lucha World Podcast sometimes. Back then, there were no women only wrestling school, all women had to wrestle with the men. This means they wrestled closer to how the guys on Mexican indies did at the time, which means lots of technical wrestling, lots of brawling and lots of blood.

If you try to look at any Mexican wrestling from this period, you'll come across this lack of footage roadblock; I hope this is helpful to you at least

Lola and Irma worked some in Texas as well, in the early 80s in Big Time Wrestling/WCCW and there is tape of some of that at least.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

He's a guy from the Giant Bomb video game podcast/video production group who is also entwined with WWE.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Very cool stuff about luchadoras

I hate how hard it is to find out wrestling history, you have to scour various fan sites or newsletter archives for lot of stuff and if its not there you have to hope you know someone who knows it or where to find it. Yes I'm still mad about Wikipedia removing wrestlers finishers and signature moves.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Suplex Liberace posted:

Yes I'm still mad about Wikipedia removing wrestlers finishers and signature moves.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Suplex Liberace posted:

I hate how hard it is to find out wrestling history, you have to scour various fan sites or newsletter archives for lot of stuff and if its not there you have to hope you know someone who knows it or where to find it. Yes I'm still mad about Wikipedia removing wrestlers finishers and signature moves.

fwiw, this stuff is obscure even in mexico. women's wrestling in this period is really murky. i hope that someone does some archival work on this period while some of the people there are still alive, or else that history will be lost forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade