Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Anybody know how the second to last week at Park city is? I keep looking at the weather wondering if it's too late. Will there be bare rock and grass patches? Going to be trying to learn to snowboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asur
Dec 28, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The foot pain is mostly linked to conditions, actually. It is almost absent on a crisp groomer, but on choppy snow at the end of the day it is a lot worse, or if there has been a few inches of snow after the grooming was completed. It seems to be related to turning and slowing, so perhaps it could be form related, or boot flex is wrong, maybe.

Do your ski boots fit? A big advantage to ski boots is that the fit can be extremely customized. You can't really do the same for snowboard boots so while in general snowboard boots are more comfortable you may not be able to find a boot that fits perfectly.

While there's limited ankle movement in a snowboard boots, even more so strapped in, there's still some as the boots are soft and flex a lot more than ski boots. I haven't skied in years but from what I remember my ankle was nearly immobile.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Krataar posted:

Anybody know how the second to last week at Park city is? I keep looking at the weather wondering if it's too late. Will there be bare rock and grass patches? Going to be trying to learn to snowboard.

Park city is relatively low down, but March is also utahs snowiest month so it all kinda just depends. It's been feeling like spring recently but we just got a bit more snow. I'd assume it'll be melting out pretty good but anything can happen.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Krataar posted:

I skied the second to last week at Deer Valley a few years ago, and I would imagine it must be very similar. I found the conditions to be very spring like, but everything was open and there was good coverage.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

It took forever for the storm to get going here in Colorado but finally did. Keystone was solid all day. Might have to use some PTO in the morning tomorrow as it doesn't seem to want to slow down. I feel for all the people trying to get back to Denver though...

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

spwrozek posted:

It took forever for the storm to get going here in Colorado but finally did. Keystone was solid all day. Might have to use some PTO in the morning tomorrow as it doesn't seem to want to slow down. I feel for all the people trying to get back to Denver though...

We're easily at 2ft here in Lakewood. If my drat board had gotten here on time I'd be hiking over to some hills nearby...

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011

Some low angle baby trees today, we started around 7am but I think it was a bit too early for a NE aspect, still crusty when we started down around 10. Lots of wet loose slides happening in the afternoons here though, feeling a lot like spring but a month early.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

spwrozek posted:

Highlands was also great. Definitely planning on getting back out tomorrow morning

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

asur posted:

While there's limited ankle movement in a snowboard boots, even more so strapped in, there's still some as the boots are soft and flex a lot more than ski boots. I haven't skied in years but from what I remember my ankle was nearly immobile.

Your ankle shouldn't be nearly immobile in a ski boot; if it is your boot is too stiff or your fit is wrong. You're certainly not going to be flexing it like you would in a snowboard boot, but you do want to have some ankle flexion.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Last day of ski racing for the season. So many hugs and tears among the kids at the end of the day. I'm feeling sentimental myself because I love the ski race season and the team so much. We still have a family trip to Stowe coming up after some quarantine now but I'm going to miss the routine until the next season starts. I'm so happy that we pulled off a COVID-free season after the resort initially canceled all racing for the year. It's been a wild and fun season. (We've also been discussing adding USSA snowboard (sbx/slopestyle) to the team for future seasons so I'm super excited about that too)

Yuns fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Mar 15, 2021

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Yuns posted:

Last day of ski racing for the season. So many hugs and tears among the kids at the end of the day. I'm feeling sentimental myself because I love the ski race season and the team so much. We still have a family trip to Stowe coming up after some quarantine now but I'm going to miss the routine until the next season starts. I'm so happy that we pulled off a COVID-free season after the resort initially canceled all racing for the year. It's been a wild and fun season. (We've also been discussing adding USSA snowboard (sbx/slopestyle) to the team for future seasons so I'm super excited about that too)

Hopefully next season gets off without any of the hitches and goes even more smoothly. Does the race season end roughly the same time as most skiing there? You are on the East Coast, right? Where do you all normally ski at?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yuns posted:

Congrats!!

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Hopefully next season gets off without any of the hitches and goes even more smoothly. Does the race season end roughly the same time as most skiing there? You are on the East Coast, right? Where do you all normally ski at?
Thanks! Yes East Coast. I'm in NJ at Mountain Creek. (We race in NJ and NY and go to post season in NH and VT) Race season ends before the ski season ends so that we can have post season regional championships and invitationals so about 2-3 weeks before the end of the season but this year we have no out of state post season racing because of COVID. The resort is closing next week so race season is ending right as the season wraps up.

HookShot posted:

Congrats!!
Thanks HookShot and thanks for all your advice. We had such a good season I think we'll have nearly all the kids back for next season including nearly all the older U14s moving up to U16 which is usually when we lose a lot of racers in the transition to high school. The resort also didn't run the YSL youth ski league development program (pre-USSA program) this year so all the little kids came straight to USSA U8 so we have a huge number of young kids coming up now too which helps ensure the future of the team. We had well over 100 racers from U8 to U19 this year. We even have a very small number of kids who are or were looking at moving on eventually to the ski academies.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Mar 15, 2021

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Yuns posted:

Thanks HookShot and thanks for all your advice. We had such a good season I think we'll have nearly all the kids back for next season including nearly all the older U14s moving up to U16 which is usually when we lose a lot of racers in the transition to high school. The resort also didn't run the YSL youth ski league development program (pre-USSA program) this year so all the little kids came straight to USSA U8 so we have a huge number of young kids coming up now too which helps ensure the future of the team. We had well over 100 racers from U8 to U19 this year. We even have a very small number of kids who are or were looking at moving on eventually to the ski academies.

Nice, that's really awesome, especially for someone based out of such a small resort. Congratulations, your hard work has paid off for sure and there are lots of little kids learning how to crush it on skis, which is fantastic!!

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
today was very good. it’s been years since I’ve had tits deep tracks on the resort.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
So I have this book to give to anyone who wants it, I collect rare books and ended up with this early skiing novel from 1937 because I needed the description of the other book that was advertised on the dust jacket. Maybe the only copy left and it’s free and anyone in this thread can have it if they want it - Fair warning It seems to be very very British and “of it’s time”

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

asur posted:

There is absolutely no way that skiing is a dying industry. Resorts continue to add lifts and more obscure resorts are becoming mainstream and despite that crowds are continuing to increase.

If we're talking about the next 5-10 years, sure.

By the year 2100 Vail may not have snow at all at the altitudes that are skiied now, and the entire state of vermont will get half the snow we get now, or less.

The season here is already substantially shorter than they were when I came here as a kid 30 years ago.

2014 nyt article: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/08/opinion/sunday/the-end-of-snow.html

quote:

Europe has lost half of its Alpine glacial ice since the 1850s, and if climate change is not reined in, two-thirds of European ski resorts will be likely to close by 2100.

The same could happen in the United States, where in the Northeast, more than half of the 103 ski resorts may no longer be viable in 30 years because of warmer winters. As far for the Western part of the country, it will lose an estimated 25 to 100 percent of its snowpack by 2100 if greenhouse gas emissions are not curtailed — reducing the snowpack in Park City, Utah, to zero and relegating skiing to the top quarter of Ajax Mountain in Aspen

I think about this a lot because it makes teaching our kid to ski sort of sad.

Vail's stock price is killing it. Look at what they're doing, though, they're investing in a ton of tourist poo poo that doesn't rely on snow.

Maybe some idiot tech savant will create artificial snow that works at 50 degrees using weird polymers, but season passes will be $10million each.

If that article is accurate, poo poo like Whitetail might just be gone in 24 years. That's crazy.

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Mar 15, 2021

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

on the bright side maybe the north atlantic current will totally collapse and kickstart a new east coast/european glaciation cycle

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Cabbages and Kings posted:

If we're talking about the next 5-10 years, sure.

By the year 2100 Vail may not have snow at all at the altitudes that are skiied now, and the entire state of vermont will get half the snow we get now, or less.

The season here is already substantially shorter than they were when I came here as a kid 30 years ago.

2014 nyt article: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/08/opinion/sunday/the-end-of-snow.html

I think about this a lot because it makes teaching our kid to ski sort of sad.

Vail's stock price is killing it. Look at what they're doing, though, they're investing in a ton of tourist poo poo that doesn't rely on snow.

Maybe some idiot tech savant will create artificial snow that works at 50 degrees using weird polymers, but season passes will be $10million each.

If that article is accurate, poo poo like Whitetail might just be gone in 24 years. That's crazy.

I would imagine that as climate change makes mid Canada more arable and open to newer crops the Northern territories and other areas now normally not easily visited would become the new "ski resorts". How many people that would be left to enjoy it, is of course questionable.

Skiing book reminded me of this skiing scene in the Hitchcock classic Spellbound that I watched for my Anthropology of Dreams course : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cnbQ5q_kXg

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
As IncredibleIgloo said, its easy to imagine in our lifetimes or our kids generation that the lack of reliable snow and shorter winter season will drive the smaller mom and pop resorts in the east coast and midwest to extinction meaning a large portion of the US population wont have any easy access to skiing. It is already a fairly exclusive sport in terms of cost/transportation etc but it will be even more of a luxury sport if you have to travel across the country to premiere mountain resorts just to go. I also imagine the cold weather will keep going further north up in to canada and might open up some new areas that way but will require a lot of infrastructure in places that currently have none.

I think people in 200 years will look back in history at skiing, possibly watching a warren miller video from the 80s and think "these loving people had so much snow, they used it as a luxury playplace to float on wooden planks JUST FOR FUN!" "must have been nice"

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

I've decided to give skiing a shot again and picked up some Black Crows Daemons for 50% off. I haven't skied in a decade and was never very good. Pretty much just riding blues poorly. Has anyone ridden these? I've read a lot of positive reviews on them and everyone says they're very easy to ride. I'm not sure if re-learning to ski on full rocker is a mistake though.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I would imagine that as climate change makes mid Canada more arable and open to newer crops the Northern territories and other areas now normally not easily visited would become the new "ski resorts". How many people that would be left to enjoy it, is of course questionable.

Skiing book reminded me of this skiing scene in the Hitchcock classic Spellbound that I watched for my Anthropology of Dreams course : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cnbQ5q_kXg

Those two have more guts than anyone on the FWT past or present.

However, if we’re talking about skiing in films, i respectfully submit that Apocalypse Snow is the most important contribution to the genre. Could also be relevant in an Anthropology of Dreams course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbdUEOyryeg

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

today was very good. it’s been years since I’ve had tits deep tracks on the resort.

Yeah man. I have been here for 10 season now. I would say it was a top 10 day at keystone, maybe top 5. The bowls were just insane blower and untracked. The wind just loaded the hell out of them. A very good use of 4 hours of PTO.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Reporting in to say that Snowmass was also insane

dox
Mar 4, 2006
On Sunday, Steamboat was entirely wind blown cement, hopping from ice-dry turn to knee-deep turn... exhilarating. I think this morning was probably better quality.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Any tips for crested butte? Going this week, skiing Thursday-Sunday. :toot:

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Saturday I was out for a tour in some low angle trees. Towards the bottom, I stopped for a bit to wait up for the rest of the group in the shade, and then made the mistake of moving and stopping in the sun. Pretty much instantly clumped a couple inches of snow on the full length of both of my skis, wouldn't move pointed straight down the fall line.

I thought, hm, should probably throw some wax on these before my avy1 refresher tomorrow and Wednesday, since it'll be sunny and warming up to 45. Picked up some wax (I only had the remnants of the 900g mixed box of LF from college, yikes). For a second went to hunt down a rubber band to hold the brakes before I remembered.

Game changer. Wish my race bindings growing up had a brake lockout built in. First world problems.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yeah I was cackling like an insane person as I blew by all the spring breakers in chest deep snow. Feels good man. I took a half day of PTO today and found deep snow in every place I looked that wasn’t a groomer.

I know you shouldn’t laugh at people who are buried in powder for their first time but I feel like having been there makes it okay. If you’re not tumbling through the snow wtf are you doing with your time?

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Mar 16, 2021

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

When you don't ride the resort all season and then go 3 days in a row (doubling my resort days on the year) it results in being super sore. The backcountry makes my legs tired some times but never sore.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Because this season I don't have any trips away planned, I've taken two full weeks (one in jan, one in feb) of PTO just to stay here and ski locally.

Both weeks I did 9 days straight on the snow. The struggle is real!

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Anyone ridden Telluride? How is it? Would you call it a need-to-ride or just a nice-to-ride kind of place?

I had planned to have my bachelor party there last March, but of course that didn't happen and Telluride seemed to be ground zero for COVID here in CO... I'm working on rescheduling the trip with my dudes as a post-bachelor party since I'm married now. Just wondering if I should still plan it as either an early or late season ski/board trip, or save some cash and just go to hang out in the off-season.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Mar 16, 2021

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

Scarf posted:

Anyone ridden Telluride? How is it? Would you call it a need-to-ride or just a nice-to-ride kind of place?

Never been in the winter but did go in the summer and can confirm it is absolutely gorgeous. From what I understand it's got a lot of steep terrain, and was named Ski Magazine's 2021 Editor's Choice so I think it's going to get a lot more traffic in the near future.

https://www.skimag.com/editors-choice/editors-choice-a-town-above/

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Scarf posted:

I had planned to have my bachelor party there last March, but of course that didn't happen and Telluride seemed to be ground zero for COVID here in CO... I'm working on rescheduling the trip with my dudes as a post-bachelor party since I'm married now. Just wondering if I should still plan it as either an early or late season ski/board trip, or save some cash and just go to hang out in the off-season.

I live here. PM me if you have questions. The skiing is fantastic. To answer your question, late February early March is the best time to come ski. Do not under any circumstances come during spring offseason, you will be very disappointed. Fall offseason is beautiful but a lot of the businesses will be closed until a week before thanksgiving.

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Mar 16, 2021

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Before the days of covid I wanted to visit Telluride and go to that beer and blues festival

Also Tom Cruise is leaving so bonus

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

lol he’s had that stupid house on the market for like a decade listed way too high because it has his name attached to it. Apparently there are game cameras all over the property that are monitored by people in LA.

Blues and Brews might happen this year!

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Moogs posted:

Never been in the winter but did go in the summer and can confirm it is absolutely gorgeous. From what I understand it's got a lot of steep terrain, and was named Ski Magazine's 2021 Editor's Choice so I think it's going to get a lot more traffic in the near future.

https://www.skimag.com/editors-choice/editors-choice-a-town-above/

I have also been during the summer and it's very pretty. We may swing by for some MTB this summer if we can find the time. I am going to work so so much this summer

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

Lost my gopro and fractured part of my elbow falling on a simple little side trail on the bunny hill just after exiting the terrain park
:negative:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Tweak posted:

Lost my gopro and fractured part of my elbow falling on a simple little side trail on the bunny hill just after exiting the terrain park
:negative:

That is a major bummer.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Mind Expander just arrived and looks loving SICK.

It appears to have picked up a bit of damage in shipping though, right at the tip of the nose:

This looks incredibly bulbous here, but the bulge sticks out about 1.5mm from the base.

Considering international shipping is involved, the shops supply was incredibly limited, and the heavy discount (~$200 cheaper than any other shop I found), I'm wondering if it's even worth the hassle of trying to exchange it? Assuming they even take it back and don't just tell me to seek retribution with the shipping company... Open to hear others' thoughts!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Scarf posted:

Mind Expander just arrived and looks loving SICK.

It appears to have picked up a bit of damage in shipping though, right at the tip of the nose:

This looks incredibly bulbous here, but the bulge sticks out about 1.5mm from the base.

Considering international shipping is involved, the shops supply was incredibly limited, and the heavy discount (~$200 cheaper than any other shop I found), I'm wondering if it's even worth the hassle of trying to exchange it? Assuming they even take it back and don't just tell me to seek retribution with the shipping company... Open to hear others' thoughts!

I would reach out to the shop and/or to jones and see what they will do. I wouldn't accept that.