Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

For reasons I can't explain, one of my fondest memories from this dumb game wasn't even a gameplay memory per se but was when they added the trial to get into Cosmic Midtown to keep people leeching for loot and wide portions of the community lost their loving minds because they thought it was impossible. I remember at least one goon posting in the threads on the official forums about it with videos showing him doing the trial with no gear on at all just to prove them wrong.

And one of the devs was playing on stream with his wife and she couldn't beat the trial and his reaction was something to the effect of "git gud".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Zaodai posted:

And one of the devs was playing on stream with his wife and she couldn't beat the trial and his reaction was something to the effect of "git gud".

That was David Brevik.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Kheldarn posted:

That was David Brevik.

I want to commission a statue of him, in his underwear, with a bottle of jameson. What a legend.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

They added the trial in one of my many absences of the game and when I came back I was worried about passing it with Captain Marvel and Moon Knight, the only characters I cared about, and it was easy as poo poo even with some pretty bad gear (on MK especially because I had a lot of just random yellow gear on him).
Then I was pretty worried about doing it with Squirrel Girl and it was even easier. Every time I thought the o forums posters couldn't be more pathetic they proved me wrong spectacularly.

What I'm saying is can we bring back the o forums somehow?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
At the very least feed all the posts to an AI text generator.

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
I got some very marvel heroes vibes from Path of Exile the other day, after a reddit poster threatened to mail a bomb to ggg headquarters

72nd bday virgin
Dec 8, 2013

SNOT CORN posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2HntbHIGf0

Who wants to bet that Perfect World just bought this game's engine and repurposed it into a MTG game?

Love how all 5 minutes of this video are about the unique difficulty system they've developed for the game, where you unlock higher difficulties as you reach certain levels in the game and those higher difficulties add modifiers to enemies while increasing the loot you receive, creating a never before seen blend of difficulty customization and reward

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

72nd bday virgin posted:

Love how all 5 minutes of this video are about the unique difficulty system they've developed for the game, where you unlock higher difficulties as you reach certain levels in the game and those higher difficulties add modifiers to enemies while increasing the loot you receive, creating a never before seen blend of difficulty customization and reward

Upcoming looter shooter game OUTRIDERS does that and I honestly hate the idea that you cant make a game challenging until you go through it at boring levels

Not that I'm good at games, but I want the option if it exists.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

The only game I've played recently that did multiple difficulty levels in a satisfying way was Nioh 2. So, the basic conceit of the game is Dark Souls style exploration, Team Ninja combat, Diablo loot, right? On subsequent NG+ cycles, they add:
- A progress bar to unlock later parts of the game instead of having to progress through the story again, just do whatever missions or side poo poo you want
- Higher rarities
- Reclassify any item that didn't have a set bonus on it, to now have a set bonus (randomized)
- New set bonus types
- New item classes entirely (like scrolls that you activate to go into a boss-rush arena, and beating it lets you equip the item)
- Enemy placements and types and attacks/patterns change (to the point where on the highest difficulties they're adding late-DLC enemies to the first zone in the game, not just to be harder but to keep you on your toes)

It makes it so as you progress through the game you gradually tilt further and further into the Diablo part than the Souls part, while at the same time drip-feeding you enough new mechanics and new enemies to fight (which in a souls-y kind of game feels surprisingly huge if you're used to the layout and ambushes of a specific zone) so you always feel like you're learning something new.

It's really the best way I've seen games handle both NG+ and multiple difficulty tiers without just turning it into "yeah I'm just gonna do the one that gives me the most XP without dying instantly."

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Zaodai posted:

For reasons I can't explain, one of my fondest memories from this dumb game wasn't even a gameplay memory per se but was when they added the trial to get into Cosmic Midtown to keep people leeching for loot and wide portions of the community lost their loving minds because they thought it was impossible. I remember at least one goon posting in the threads on the official forums about it with videos showing him doing the trial with no gear on at all just to prove them wrong.

Beating the pre-nerf CMM trial with Squirrel Girl and then spending the next few days periodically trolling CMM with her is one of my greatest gaming achievements

Diabetic
Sep 29, 2006

When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world Diabeetus.
Open Beta for Magic Legends is March 23.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I suggest buying a couple of boxes for resale when Revised comes out.

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
Can't wait for the Unglued expansion

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I am so happy that Batroc Silly Bear was in Falcon and Winter Soldier

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Zilly Bears, PLEASE ADVISE:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963029

That is the thread for Magic Legends, probably the closest thing we are going to see for awhile to Marvel Heroes. Many of us, like my dear friends, very dear friends, Bearforks, Atwes, broseph and many, many others, are playing this game today because it IS FREE and JUST LAUNCHED FOR OPEN BETA FOR ALL.

Honest truth: Right now, high chance it flops. I can see it happening. Marvel Heroes launched like that too.

However, I like to:

a) play and connect with my friends. You all and City of Heroes are where majority of my goon friendships came from at the jump. I'm grateful for that.
b) the spells and deck-building and open world take me back to this and that is cool. The open areas remind many of us of Midtown Manhattan. That part I'm being serious about.
c) I have a ton of red flags on this game. Currencies, the developers, the movement is slow (there's movement skills that open up later thankfully) and more.
d) play the free stuff. this is free to play right now and I'm going to give it an honest look. I've had fun, surprisingly, with what I played last night and we'll see if it holds up.

Long story short, come try it out and if you like it, we'll see ya in. If ya don't, please be like my friend moon and uninstall the game and give that the unlike and unsubscribe button to the game like it deserves. Show them you mean BUSINESS.

Heart all.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
no

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I don't like M:TG, so hard pass. Best of luck, and I hope it's as buggy as MH and lasts longer!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's extremely bad, it's an ARPG with no loot or stats and the maps are just wide open empty fields with occasional click-and-hold-the-mouse-until-it's-over battles. So Marvel Heroes fans will probably love it

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Kheldarn posted:

I don't like M:TG, so hard pass. Best of luck, and I hope it's as buggy as MH and lasts longer!

It's Cryptic so it's going to have a ton of bugs.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I hope it takes off and becomes the next Fortnite so Disney decides to compete too and remembers it already has a AAA action RPG starring The Avengers (tm) ready to go, complete with Thing Burger tie-ins.

I hope it doesn't take off because I couldn't play more than an hour or two of the alpha and missed out on unlocking some costumes.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's extremely bad, it's an ARPG with no loot or stats and the maps are just wide open empty fields with occasional click-and-hold-the-mouse-until-it's-over battles. So Marvel Heroes fans will probably love it

when i think of marvel heroes, i definitely think about all the no-loot and no-stats it had yep

Rufio
Feb 6, 2003

I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!
How much stuff is there to whale on?

How are the official forums?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

bagrada posted:

I hope it takes off and becomes the next Fortnite so Disney decides to compete too and remembers it already has a AAA action RPG starring The Avengers (tm) ready to go, complete with Thing Burger tie-ins.

I didn't know Squeenix did a Thing Burger tie-in for the Marvel's Avengers game.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Kheldarn posted:

I didn't know Squeenix did a Thing Burger tie-in for the Marvel's Avengers game.

They didn't, that's why it flopped.

Marvel Heroes still holds up now, flip the switch back to on and start working on the infinity War content. No one will care that its years late and there's still a while before they need Kang the Conqueror. Hell give Thanos an ult where he snaps his fingers and half the enemies on the map die, then he just flies around in his thanos-copter collecting the loot.

e: Make Thanos overpowered but he costs tons more xp to level, and every prestige rank he goes up unlocks another infinity gem power until he has them all at cosmic. This stuff writes itself. Only problem is keeping the switch flipper awake and hiring new anonymous artists since the old ones probably went mad due to contact with fans on message boards and twitter.

bagrada fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Mar 23, 2021

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

I'm so excited

https://twitter.com/jonbernhardt/status/1374490703363928070?s=20

https://twitter.com/jonbernhardt/status/1374492093326848008?s=20

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

loving libelling Marvel Heroes there.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

https://twitter.com/frailgesture/status/1374480447300767749

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

lmbo

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/Hegelbon/status/1374494038611529732?s=20

amazing

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Cutscenes are unskippable btw

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3

A Bystander posted:

I do miss those big ol' tournaments where people cleared a level as fast as possible, even if I never participated in any. It was nice being able to hang out with great people, too.

My "attempts" at these are the only things I ever uploaded to youtube, I'm pretty sure they still exist.

I tried this Magic game and it is....not good.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Sounds like I shouldn't even bother seeing if the Magic game will run on my computer.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

lovely writing/acting aside, these graphics wouldn't have looked special in 2005 :psyduck:

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

They paid someone for all this. Amazing.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'm surprised we don't already have :cryptic: like we do for other infamous dev studios. :gaz:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Quill posted:

They paid someone for all this. Amazing.

tbf, you can say that about pretty much every digital magic game ever produced

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

I will hear no ill words about Magic: the Gathering™ (1997)

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
I figured out how to skip the cutscenes. I crashed 1 second into the first cutscene and never relaunched the game.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

RosaParksOfDip posted:

I figured out how to skip the cutscenes. I crashed 1 second into the first cutscene and never relaunched the game.

Pro tier strat right here. I can't imagine the beta is any better than the alpha I played and I'm certainly not going to spend time finding out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Played 10 minutes of the new MTG game

This ain't gonna be the new MH you dorks lmao, this is so clunky and bad

I didn't kill a single petty criminal begging for his life