Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Retrowave Joe posted:

A sledge will knock those suckers right out. Also handy for cheesing your way thru crypts

Do you mean you can use it to clear out the pile of mud instead of having to pick at them for 5 minutes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
https://i.imgur.com/K1jx0NJ.gifv

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is the Stone Hoe just an updgraded Hoe? I'm still confused by some of the nomenclature in this game :psyduck:

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
There's only one hoe I think. And it's made out of stone.

More valheim weird building
https://youtu.be/hwuc0MYjXJQ

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

mastershakeman posted:

What's the max horizontal distance on black iron? It's about 23 core wood 2m spaces from the edge of the stone walls my friend put up in to the stone pillar. I'm anchored on both sides but don't want to demolish my 4m support pillars yet and see if this span holds, because I might just raise ground halfway in between or something if needed. I would really like to have a catwalk going out there then one back to black forest trees and have a couple cool lookouts that way that mobs wouldn't from the ground

I'm assuming you mean iron-log poles..? Anyways, it seems to be about 24/25 before it stops being a "blue" base point in a single direction. I haven't hosed around with them enough to know to whether or not this applies to horizontal combined with vertical, though (in other words, build 1 horizontal, then 1 vertical, repeat). Now that I've finished everything, I've been tempted to boot up a cheat world and just gently caress around with the building system to try and figure out how far everything can pushed/try and find new ways to gently caress with the building system. However, I'm kinda burned out on the game after like 180 hours and multiple projects, so I might wait around for the next patch to roll out to see what gets fixed/changed.

Haven't hosed with the harpoon much, but I was wondering the other day if you could do something like this with a deer. Just harpoon the fucker and let it cart you around the forest or something.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Furism posted:

Do you mean you can use it to clear out the pile of mud instead of having to pick at them for 5 minutes?

No, unfortunately. The knockback area effect goes right through the mudpiles, tho, so you can pick halfway into a room then hammertime until everything on the other side stops moving, without ever seeing your target(s).

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One of the nice parts of the game is the constant unlocking of recipes anytime you pick something new up and new buildings to add in, you go from just needing a roof over your head and some storage and making a chimney for your campfire to needing space for smelting, a forge, crafting table upgrades, farmland, fermenters, portal areas, comfort items and so on and your base just organically grows.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

They really need to address the mob spawning in bases. Even Minecraft let me craft torches to keep the enemies at bay. I'm tired of finding random mobs attacking all my poo poo.

We just downed the second boss, so I know poo poo is about to get real. I read the armor upgrade from troll to bronze is not really worth the effort, but which bronze upgrades are worth it? I'll probably make the buckler and the mace.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Bioshuffle posted:

They really need to address the mob spawning in bases. Even Minecraft let me craft torches to keep the enemies at bay. I'm tired of finding random mobs attacking all my poo poo.

We just downed the second boss, so I know poo poo is about to get real. I read the armor upgrade from troll to bronze is not really worth the effort, but which bronze upgrades are worth it? I'll probably make the buckler and the mace.

Axe first since it opens up new stuff.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

It depends on how geared up you want to be. If you want to do the work to upgrade it bronze can be much better than the troll. If you're just going to leave it level 1 you're better off sticking with troll in my opinion.

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer

quietmonkey posted:

Quick Connect - https://www.nexusmods.com/valheim/mods/193?tab=description

It adds a small menu of buttons to the main menu that's populated by whatever server details you add to the config file it uses.

I've been trying to stay away from mods but I absolutely could not pass this one up. It actually works and makes worldhopping MUCH easier logistics wise. Thanks for posting this!!

Bioshuffle posted:

I've been having this problem with one of my bases that's on the coast of the Black Forest. Fuckers keep spawning right inside my base, even though I have crafting tables and torches and all sorts of poo poo. That, plus greydwarves swimming around wooden walls are two gripes I have right now.

bagmonkey fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 15, 2021

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

bagmonkey posted:

I've been trying to stay away from mods but I absolutely could not pass this one up. It actually works and makes worldhopping MUCH easier logistics wise. Thanks for posting this!!

I've been having this problem with one of my bases that's on the coast of the Black Forest. Fuckers keep spawning right inside my base, even though I have crafting tables and torches and all sorts of poo poo. That, plus greydwarves swimming around wooden walls are two gripes I have right now.

I kept having the swim around the walls problem until I extended my seawall out a couple more palisades-length (I ended up using the 4m log poles to anchor them). There does seem to be some set distance away from shore they are averse from crossing.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Has anyone tried using beehives for base defense? I built my first two and just set them out in front of my base and I always return to find them somewhat damaged and surrounded by a pile of boar bits.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Blobs you can just shoot with arrows while backpedaling
Or you can just drink poison resistance mead and whack them with a mace which is actually even less effort.

EDIT: Oh oops, I hadn't refreshed the page. Oh well, it's still true.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not deliberately but the greydwarves like to punch my beehives, it doesn't seem to do them any appreciable harm though. Boars I can imagine it working on but it doesn't seem to work on anything bigger.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Yeah, no, a Greydwarf definitely destroyed 3 of my hives. He was working on the 4th and last one as I was walking back into my base. It was a Brute though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Nordick posted:

Or you can just drink poison resistance mead and whack them with a mace which is actually even less effort.

EDIT: Oh oops, I hadn't refreshed the page. Oh well, it's still true.

Once you learn their patterns you don't even need the poison resistance, you can get the heavy attack before they fart their little clouds.

Still want to keep your health high though in case you miss.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

xzzy posted:

Once you learn their patterns you don't even need the poison resistance, you can get the heavy attack before they fart their little clouds.

True, and I do that sometimes, but if I'm gonna spend more time in the swamp than just passing through, I'll usually pop a mead anyway just in case.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

xzzy posted:

Still want to keep your health high though in case you miss.

so many deaths that are just "aw gently caress, that slime pooped on me. well, guess it's time to beeline for my portal so my corpse is 30 feet closer"

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

GENUINE CAT HERDER posted:

I'm assuming you mean iron-log poles..? Anyways, it seems to be about 24/25 before it stops being a "blue" base point in a single direction. I haven't hosed around with them enough to know to whether or not this applies to horizontal combined with vertical, though (in other words, build 1 horizontal, then 1 vertical, repeat). Now that I've finished everything, I've been tempted to boot up a cheat world and just gently caress around with the building system to try and figure out how far everything can pushed/try and find new ways to gently caress with the building system. However, I'm kinda burned out on the game after like 180 hours and multiple projects, so I might wait around for the next patch to roll out to see what gets fixed/changed.

Haven't hosed with the harpoon much, but I was wondering the other day if you could do something like this with a deer. Just harpoon the fucker and let it cart you around the forest or something.
Yep, that's what I meant. Thanks, gave me the confidence I needed. Barely pulled it off because I didn't realize how important anchoring is. One end was into a stone rampart, the other end wouldn't snap right and I finished with just basic wood. When I demolished the supports it held on somehow. But just snapping a piece of stone 2x2 over the wood and connecting that to the desert pillar pumped up its color

I made a janky staircase all the way up, I have no idea how people make such nice ones. Tried putting a bonfire on top but couldn't, so plopped down some stone and a hearth and chair. Now back to the low ramparts where I can use more iron log poles to hopefully make a catwalk to some pine trees then go wild with core logs connecting all over! (We have a million core wood). It's kind of cool seeing the whole thing suspended like this

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

man, compared to the swamp, the mountains is easy street.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ash1138 posted:

man, compared to the swamp, the mountains is easy street.

I'd be curious as to other peoples opinion on this, I found the exact opposite was true!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

boo boo bear posted:

if you're in the swamp definitely spend some time looking for turnip seeds. they can be a little difficult to pick out with the way the lighting is, but it's also used in one of the few recipes for food that can be made entirely in-house and it's even better than carrot soup.

really looking forward to the next update, cooking with bjorn isn't a game I thought I'd ever enjoy but it's been super fun.

I think they are also just rare. I found out about them after I had already been farming flax and barley. I went looking for them in our mining swamp, not a single one I could find. I later found a single turnip seed plant on one of those mini-swamp strip biomes, when we were already sailing to our deaths off the edge after beating last boss...

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Axe first since it opens up new stuff.
I've got the axe, and since I'll be doing mining enough bronze to outfit two people with bronze gear, I've found it worth the upgrade to Bronze pickaxe. With the third tier of upgrades, it seems like if I get lucky I can clear a node in 3 strikes. The fourth level upgrade to the pickaxe seems a bit hefty though.

Then again, we're taking it kind of slow and enjoying the process of building up the base while gearing up little by little. I've been making little shacks by the nodes so that I can rest at night and drop off stacks in the chest to make those cart runs worth my while.

I can't remember the last time I played a game that made me lose track of time. Should I be paranoid about chipping away at the landscape to get at those nodes though? I did read somewhere that landscaping can affect performance. I'm assuming it's not an issue if the node is far away enough?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

I'd be curious as to other peoples opinion on this, I found the exact opposite was true!

One of the great things this game pulls off is that new things/areas can be dangerous as gently caress until you learn how to deal with them. My first swamp area (that I just finished exploring/clearing) borders a mountain and some plains. When I first started exploring the swamp I had it in my head to make a dangerous trip up into the mountains thinking I could get just enough silver to make the sword (before I knew how silver works), and I found the mountain far less intimidating than the swamp, probably because of good visibility and threats that followed familiar patterns (so far).

Much like the black forest before it, now that I've been loving around in the swamp for awhile it doesn't feel dangerous at all and I realize those wolves that were surprisingly easy to deal with come in packs sometimes and hit like bricks.

Raiding along the edge of the plains felt like venturing into Mordor.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

PittTheElder posted:

The only danger I've found in the latter is in running out of arrows.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Swamps get easy as long as you’re rested because you can run past most things. Occasional body pile can be a problem, I’ve run into them after rested wore off and the wet (and sometimes cold) effects make stamina management a hassle.

Mountains are still scary at night. Pack of wolves with a 2 star can mess you up good and golems are a bit of a crapshoot.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
The fourth biome makes it apparent from the get go what you'll need to bring to prepare for the environment, while the swamp usually involves a death or two before you figure out what you need.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 19 minutes!
swamps and mountains are both gear and preparedness checks, but it doesn't rain in the mountains.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Reik posted:

The fourth biome makes it apparent from the get go what you'll need to bring to prepare for the environment, while the swamp usually involves a death or two before you figure out what you need.

Going into the swamp should unlock a resin-sealed cape or something to keep you dry. :v:

Or a pair of kc hilites.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

PittTheElder posted:

I found the mountains to be a breeze and the swamps are still somewhere I don’t enjoy trips to.

I think both cases come down to world-gen/seed RNG. On my map I had to deal with a ridiculous amount of expansion to find decent swamps that actually have crypts. Had plenty of mountains + veins really close by to the initial spawn.

Terrain and preparedness wise, both biomes are pretty similar, but mountains are a bit easier as the gear you craft with the biome ore will negate some of the negative status effects.

Mob difficulty wise, stuff in the mountains hits harder, but by this point in the game you should be very well equipped with gear and food so this should be a non-issue. Swamps are the same, but can be the first time you actually need to deal with these mechanics since the prior zones can all be trivialized by the pro gamer strat of “walk backwards and shoot arrows at it.” Honestly, swamps and mountains can too, but you need to deal with “ok I have enough food and armor so I won’t get 2 shot by a dragur bow man, and some status resistance so I don’t get poisoned to death if I accidentally step in a puddle and find a leech.”

I think the general biome ambience plays into this as well - swamps achieve their goal of feeling dark, claustrophobic, and oppressive. Mountains are rough in a snow storm, but you also get lots of nice sunny days with long open sight lines and nice views, which makes them more enjoyable to spend time in.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Suddenly none of the trolls I'm running into have clubs any more.

This is really putting a twist in my lumber and ore harvesting technique. How am I supposed to quickly and efficiently clear forest without a troll lumbering along behind me knocking over a bunch of trees with every swing?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Like I find the swamp super easy because all the enemies are slow as poo poo, even if you find yourself in a tough spot you can just run away. All the enemies telegraph their attacks too, so parrying them is pretty trivial. Poison is the only real threat, and that's easily meaded away. Even now when I go to the swamp I'll unequip my armor because I'd rather have the 10% movement speed than damage reduction that doesn't matter. The constant rain is annoying though.

Whereas in the mountains wolves come in packs, you can rarely outrun them if you find yourself in a dire spot, and winding up in a fight with multiple enemy types gets can land you in a tough spot before getting the biome-sourced armor. It's a much more enjoyable biome, but also much more threatening. Maybe it depends on whether you're primarily using the bow from range, or just running up and smacking poo poo in melee (which is absolutely my preference)

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Mar 15, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I didn't find swamps or mountains particularly hard but swamps are just loving miserable and I hate spending any time in them for any reason, just a miserable poo poo biome for assholes. So in that respect mountains are easier because I don't want to die IRL when I'm in them, and they are in fact quite pretty and sometimes fun to navigate.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

I hate the swamps because it's bunk that I step into knee deep water for a nanosecond and suddenly I'm trying to punch things.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Some friends and I started a server and I'm the only one that's played previously, and a big thing I keep trying to imprint upon them is that (at least for now) you can run from just about anything.

I've yakety saxed entire drey dwarf raids that a troll glommed onto and still come out ahead, it's just about patience and kiting. But even then I could just bolt out of there and be fine.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Saxophone posted:

Some friends and I started a server and I'm the only one that's played previously, and a big thing I keep trying to imprint upon them is that (at least for now) you can run from just about anything.

I've yakety saxed entire drey dwarf raids that a troll glommed onto and still come out ahead, it's just about patience and kiting. But even then I could just bolt out of there and be fine.

https://twitter.com/dasharez0ne/status/979810839749210112

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

Like I find the swamp super easy because all the enemies are slow as poo poo, even if you find yourself in a tough spot you can just run away. All the enemies telegraph their attacks too, so parrying them is pretty trivial. Poison is the only real threat, and that's easily meaded away. Even now when I go to the swamp I'll unequip my armor because I'd rather have the 10% movement speed than damage reduction that doesn't matter. The constant rain is annoying though.

Whereas in the mountains wolves come in packs, you can rarely outrun them if you find yourself in a dire spot, and winding up in a fight with multiple enemy types gets can land you in a tough spot before getting the biome-sourced armor. It's a much more enjoyable biome, but also much more threatening. Maybe it depends on whether you're primarily using the bow from range, or just running up and smacking poo poo in melee (which is absolutely my preference)

Playing in a group of four (including two relatively underleveled players) we had some difficulty in the swamps. A big part of it is the terrain. We had an especially swampy segment with lots of swimming sections, and would get to a patch of land only to have to face down several draugyr, who scale up to be surprisingly formidable with four players. I watched one of my friends get one-shot by four syncced draugyr attack animations, and the other panicked and tried to swim past leeches to a nearby landmass while taking fire from a one star draugyr archer. He did not make it.

I guess what I'm saying is the swim mechanic is the great equalizer. Also bringing your friends into the swamp is hilarious.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

PittTheElder posted:

Oh yeah, the Mountains are much better for me. I like that there's not an enemy at every corner, and when you do see one they are a bit more challenging. And also it's gorgeous.

Swamps for me were pretty "meh" and annoying, but when I was showing the game to my 6 years old he first said "meh, it's not that scary." Then night game and he was much less comfortable, and when a bunch of skeletons and Draugr and even a Wraith (I think? The black things that over) showed up all at once we basically had to leave because he started to be genuinely scared (don't worry, I'm not a crazy person, my kid loves to be scarred, he asks for it, and he never has nightmares kthx). And also he thought that having to build scaffolding to collect Guck as stupid (I tend to agree). So clearly they nailed the atmosphere, but as grown-up, experienced players we might be immune to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

PittTheElder posted:

The first two bases we had in the mountains I was fighting multiple golems a day, constantly harried by wolves and drakes - it was legitimately a bit of a chore just continuing to mine. My most recent experience was night and day. Just peacefully pulling enough silver and eggs out of the mountains for upgrades and whatnot, I think it's mostly down to how many golems you run across and how active you are about avoiding night. Night in the mountains is pretty spooky.