Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bootleg Trunks
Jun 12, 2020

skooma512 posted:

Lena Dunham is from money, so much so that the New York Times published an article about a loving tea party she was throwing at 14 years old.

Her crappy student film is in the Criterion Collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Remember when she read Odell Beckham's mind at the Met Gala, and determined that he was sexist because he didn't give her attention?

Fascinating person

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Serf posted:

not all of them care to or have the motivation to. elon musk looks like a dead fish and has the personality of damp wool but he was able to buy his way into a cameo in a marvel movie

Reminder:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Bootleg Trunks posted:

when your parents' job is helping the Epstein class launder their money you can call in some pretty sweet favors.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Bootleg Trunks posted:

her work is culturally important and relevant to the era, so might as well be. same reason armageddon is in

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Some Guy TT posted:

im trying to come up with a counterexample of a mainline film in the teens where the leads had good chemistry and all ive got is passengers which is interesting because chris pratt and jennifer lawrence dont have chemistry in any of their other film roles which suggests directorial influence rather than a dearth of acting talent is whats killing sexual chemistry at the movies

I think you hit the spot on directorial influence, not just about romance though, but about several aspects of current film making. You can see that a lot of directors these days have zero idea how choreograph an action scene these days for instance. In fact with things like Marvel movies the directors aren't even directing the action scenes, those are made in advance (because they're so CGI heavy) and the director just slots them into the film. Not to mention the frightening lack of control most directors get these days in general. Studios dictating every exact detail hasn't been this bad since the 60's.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

Toph Bei Fong posted:

The Green Mile is great, because it asks the important question "If a giant black man is found alone with two dead white girls, maybe he didn't murder them but was instead trying to use his magical healing powers to save them from dying, and maybe you shouldn't be so racist and assume otherwise?"

tbf, a lot of mentally challenged black people get executed, especially in the south, for being in within 20 miles or so of a dead white girl

the magic powers are just "they're actually good and worthwhile people we're killing for no reason"

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/ThisHurtMyHead/status/1369879208617418753

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I can’t imagine still watching south park in 2021 lol what kind of loser do you have to be

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

was south park even on anyones radar to be cancelled or whatever

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Fifty year old gen xers still watch it I think

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.
South Park has that same presence as Family Guy and Simpsons where it's been on so long and people either commit to it or start watching it because they heard so many things about it despite all of them being way past their golden years.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Stairmaster posted:

Fifty year old gen xers still watch it I think

like the av

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
I like that new disclaimer, it’s like Cum Town, have your cake and eat it too

those millionaire libertarian boys did some growth after all.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Fake disclaimers are the lowest form of humor.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 214 days!

it's south park and all, but eh, this is still pretty funny

mostly because applying the language of how we talk about past wrongs to our own reality actually does reveal the lie that we've moved past those wrongs when we instead perpetuate them

commielingus
Jan 23, 2021

by Athanatos

indigi posted:

I can’t imagine still watching south park in 2021 lol what kind of loser do you have to be

I enjoyed the latest episode.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

its funny mainly because we all remember the old disclaimer which was intended as a satirical preemption of late nineties cancel culture and this is just a new sheen of paint on the same joke

hard referencing the muppets kind of gives the game away but with the way things are lately people probably would have interpreted it unironically if they hadnt done that

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

I really want to like the Expanse cause the space poo poo is so cool, but I think I hate all the characters except Amos (and maybe Alex) and end up spending half of each episode shouting indignancies at the tv

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Watched Judas and the Black Messiah last night, and I'm shocked Hollywood didn't water down or undercut the radical message that Hampton had. Plus Martin Sheen as a throughly grotesque J. Edgar Hoover

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

thalweg posted:

I really want to like the Expanse cause the space poo poo is so cool, but I think I hate all the characters except Amos (and maybe Alex) and end up spending half of each episode shouting indignancies at the tv

Season 5 is really dragging, since anytime Naomi comes on the screen she's invariably begging for her life or for her son to stop being a space terrorist even though he's very clearly committed to it. I just fast forward through those parts now .

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
i know this is ancient history for others but im watching star trek voyager for the first time and what the gently caress janeway just straight up murdered tuvix

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

been watching lodge 49, fantastic show, extremely underrated. its cspam as hell too, its explicitly a show about people being crushed by debt and capitalist alienation, and finding solace in building a community

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

babypolis posted:

been watching lodge 49, fantastic show, extremely underrated. its cspam as hell too, its explicitly a show about people being crushed by debt and capitalist alienation, and finding solace in building a community

Agreedo, great show, shame there won't be more

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

Pobrecito posted:

i know this is ancient history for others but im watching star trek voyager for the first time and what the gently caress janeway just straight up murdered tuvix

Have you got to the episode where Janeway finds her spirit animal? Further compounded by the fact that the actor playing Chacotay isn’t Native American and the consultant they hired wasn’t either

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

skooma512 posted:

Season 5 is really dragging, since anytime Naomi comes on the screen she's invariably begging for her life or for her son to stop being a space terrorist even though he's very clearly committed to it. I just fast forward through those parts now .

she was absolutely worthless this season. the three episodes where she spends 20 minutes walking through hallways then gasping for breath are loving interminable

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

indigi posted:

she was absolutely worthless this season. the three episodes where she spends 20 minutes walking through hallways then gasping for breath are loving interminable

the spacewalk scene was worth it imo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it really wasn’t, 45 cool seconds vs 50 minutes of the same scene over and over again isn’t a good trade off

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

indigi posted:

it really wasn’t, 45 cool seconds vs 50 minutes of the same scene over and over again isn’t a good trade off

Yeah I thought it really dragged to, I really like the expanse but the last two seasons felt like a lot of build up to pay off that doesn't come. I kind of feel like Alex was supposed to have more of a story arc last season that got cut because his actor was a horrible rear end in a top hat IRL and that may have contributed to the stunted pacing this past season.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

they should have had more Amos + Peaches adventures

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/disclosetv/status/1370717098058600451

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

thalweg posted:

Amos, Drummer, the side-characters...

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

somebody head Coriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinne!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrXwcZPqaSs

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/zellieimani/status/1370741585244254208

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

reading this thread while listening to the new entertainment remaster: LISTEN TO GANG OF FOUR

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/KitEyre/status/1367289281216196609

interesting piece makes the argument that reclaiming famous villainesses is a form of stealth misogyny since it plays into the idea that women are inherently pure seems obvious now that its been pointed out but it really does nail why cruella of all people is being reclaimed with a sympathetic read

i actually do kind of want to watch the deliberately absurd reclaimed jafar movie though when you think about it his original goal was to use the genie to destroy agrabahs extremely dumb and bad monarchy i mean sure he just wanted to rule it for himself but thats not stopping anyone from stanning meghan markle

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

there should be an oscar for animal performances

also voice acting (insane there's not one yet)

The Unnamed One
Jan 13, 2012

"BOOM!"

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

there should be an oscar for animal performances

It should be named the "That Dog from The Thing" Honorary Award

Most powerful animal acting ever seen on film

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The 48 different pigs who played Babe deserve posthumous Oscars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Grevling posted:

The 48 different pigs who played Babe deserve posthumous Oscars.

they should link up the Oscars and the Louis B. Mayer estate to get that going