Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TheRat posted:

See this is the kind of absolute nonsese I was referring to in my earlier post.

First they had 'we shouldn't give it to over 65s because they're not enough data on it so people should probably just have nothing instead' before it turned out the efficacy in that age bracket was fine, and now they're slamming the brakes on it again across the continent because of unsubstantiated links to blood clotting in a demographic highly prone to blood clots. As Peanut said they've basically buried its viability on the continent now over what is likely to be needless hesitancy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

multijoe posted:

The EU going on tilt because of their own crappy deal they signed with AstraZeneca and then making up reasons to explain why its good they don't have it and didn't want it anyway was not one of the plot twists I predicted for 2021

"We dont believe theres any connection but we're investigating just to be safe" is actually what's happening

Edit: Also these decisions are happening on a country by country basis, it's not the dreaded EU COMMUNIST BRUSSELS BUREAUCRATS making the decision

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

multijoe posted:

First they had 'we shouldn't give it to over 65s because they're not enough data on it so people should probably just have nothing instead' before it turned out the efficacy in that age bracket was fine, and now they're slamming the brakes on it again across the continent because of unsubstantiated links to blood clotting in a demographic highly prone to blood clots. As Peanut said they've basically buried its viability on the continent now over what is likely to be needless hesitancy

Yeah, again this is just absolute nonsense that has nothing to do with what's going on in Norway.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

multijoe posted:

The EU going on tilt because of their own crappy deal they signed with AstraZeneca and then making up reasons to explain why its good they don't have it and didn't want it anyway was not one of the plot twists I predicted for 2021

Uh huh...

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Random Integer posted:

Edit: Also these decisions are happening on a country by country basis, it's not the dreaded EU COMMUNIST BRUSSELS BUREAUCRATS making the decision

Furthermore they're happening outside of the EU

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

TheRat posted:

Furthermore they're happening outside of the EU

A good point but Norway is
1. In Europe
2. Not GRATE BRITAINN

And that's as far as most Brits get

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

TheRat posted:

Yeah, again this is just absolute nonsense that has nothing to do with what's going on in Norway.

It's just led to most of the major EU countries suspending it again and is going to spook people even further over a vaccine that already had a very low adoption rate on the continent. Even if there was a bad batch suspending the entire supply right as a third wave is hitting them is almost certainly going to end up being a massive net negative between the people not getting it now and the people who won't get it in the future because of constant bad press

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
EU??? more like PU!!!!!

give me a six figgie job writing for hte times tia

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Laurence Fox has found the ultimate way to destroy antifa - MORE STATUES

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1371428500637417474

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ill honour the
ve contributed
eyond the call of
ty for our nation

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s three chuffing blood clot cases in a demographic notorious for blood clots, of course this is political. We made it political when we started being all jingoistic about ARE OXFORD vaccine at the exact same moment all the import/export paperwork kicked in. This is before you get into the fact that individual countries also have their very own crazy anti-vaxers as well.

I bet more vaccinated people have been hit by cars since and we are not squarking about “OMG the rona vaccine makes you magnetic!”

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Also, lol:

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1371471145510309891

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Comrade Fakename posted:

top comment on that article:

woody 2 posted:

Better that than murals of American criminals, like the one of Floyd in Manchester.

TBF it is the express.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the euros don't want the vaccine can I have like half a dozen? I could be come super immune.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it can be political without being political, divorcing any decision from being political is folly. i am woefully inadequate in the internal power politics of norway, but i would put literally any quantity of money on there being some active agitating from the population and/or media for this decision, that the medical body that made this decision was subject to this and other political pressures and that the decisions are, of course, politically influenced. like everything else.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

DickEmery posted:

gently caress you, I'm over 45.
Also, I completely agree.
I just turned 40 and my brain is absolutely, definitely in decline. Nobody should be involved in legislation past 50, nobody should be voting past 60 without some kind of test.

forkboy84 posted:

Sometimes I forget the lunacy of housing inflation, but looking on Rightmove at the area I grew up, they've got the history of a neighbours property being sold 3 times back to 2003: £22,815, in 2011: £120,000, in 2020: £145,000
A few years ago I was looking longingly at a beautiful, mid-size cottage in Keswick for £75k. Last year a single bedroom terrace in the same area was £210k. I don't think I've seen an intact, liveable house in a non stabby area anywhere for less than £200k.

My parents' house was 7 and a half grand in the mid seventies and is creeping up past £300k based on other properties in the street.

OwlFancier posted:

I just don't think they are capable of making a connection between their politics and the consequences, or that the government could possibly not be helping people.
I've often thought this about a lot of people, they can't (or agressively refuse to) think about the knock-on questions that arise from seemingly simple policy decisions. The idea that the world is far more complex than the 'obvious' solution is not something that crosses their mind.

A great example of this is the Ben Shapiro / loving Aquaman meme - he literally did not stop and think about who would be buying the houses. It's also a problem of someone arguing in bad faith - it doesn't need to be true or stand up to examination, it just needs to sound plausible at first glance to people who already agree with you.

They love saying 'checkmate' after gotchas like this, and it doesn't matter if you point out that it's merely Check and there are remaining moves, because they've already flipped the board and walked away.

It ties into another theory I have that people are sometimes so tied up in how striking an idea is that they skip the internal process of cross examination. We're all trained at university to critique our own theories and back them up with trustworthy sources, which is how we can sometimes sit there baffled by how people could be taken in by (for example) Qanon theories.

Malcolm Gladwell said on Adam Buxton's podcast that he was more interested in how exciting an idea is than if it's right or wrong, and I think that's where a lot of Shapiros and Petersons of the world fall short. They're so taken by the burning glare of their hot take, they don't actually care if it's true or beneficial.

Random Integer posted:

The AZ vaccine was already the least trusted in the EU so waiting a few days cant hurt its image problem while I imagine ignoring things definitely would.
Wasn't AZ also bad at protecting against variant strains? So when everything opens back up for open mouth face licking, anyone who had AZ is going to be wide open for whatever strain is currently making its way round the schools.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

You'd think Tory voters would be much happier about the job Kieth is doing

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

learnincurve posted:

It’s three chuffing blood clot cases in a demographic notorious for blood clots, of course this is political

Since when are Norwegian healthcare workers in the 30-50 age range notorious for having blotclots and bleeding disorders at the same time?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Nobody likes a sad little fence sitter.

Except centrists who have some sort of weird sex thing going on where they get extremely excited over people making the wet eggs face combined with terrible political ideas.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

CoolCab posted:

it can be political without being political, divorcing any decision from being political is folly. i am woefully inadequate in the internal power politics of norway, but i would put literally any quantity of money on there being some active agitating from the population and/or media for this decision, that the medical body that made this decision was subject to this and other political pressures and that the decisions are, of course, politically influenced. like everything else.

Yeah there's a good chance it's a distraction tactic from the fact that the best way to get the vaccine in Europe right now is to move to Britain.

OTOH despite the government claims to the contrary there does seem something odd about the UK getting so many AZ vaccines; it's not even just Europe being screwed over, both Canada and Australia are significantly behind on vaccinations as well and coincidentally are only getting AZ from the same facility in Belgium as the EU.

e: Notably for Canada the US is also doing the same thing where they said they've not placed any export bans on the vaccine but somehow are miraculously getting all of it made in the US.

EU says UK, U.S. have vaccine export bans, EU allows exports of Pfizer, Moderna shots posted:

BRUSSELS (Reuters) - European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen said on Thursday that the EU was allowing exports of COVID-19 vaccines, mostly from BionTech/Pfizer and Moderna, while the United States and Britain had mechanism to block them.

Von der Leyen told a news conference that approximately 95% of EU-made vaccines that had been exported since Jan. 30 were manufactured by Pfizer and BioNTech, and the remainder by Moderna.

She said that both were honouring their supply contracts with the EU and therefore there was no limitation on their export, while on AstraZeneca’s exports the EU was keeping “a very close eye” because of the company’s shortfalls in deliveries to the 27-nation bloc.

Von der Leyen added that the United States and Britain had systems in place that effectively blocked the export of COVID-19 vaccines.

US rejects reports of ban on exports of Covid-19 vaccines posted:

The US has not imposed any rules to prohibit the export of the Covid-19 vaccine, the White House clarified on Thursday. The statement came after reports of the European Union being told to not 'expect the vaccine anytime soon' started floating around.

"We don't purchase AstraZeneca supplies. So there's no export prohibitions and all vaccine manufacturers in the United States are free to export their products while also fulfilling the terms of their contracts with the US government," White House press secretary Jen Psaki told reporters at her daily news conference.

Psaki said that the vaccine makers can work with other countries while meeting the demands of the US.

"We have conveyed privately what we've conveyed publicly which is our focus is on ensuring the American people are receiving the vaccine and that we are vaccinating the American public," she said.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 15, 2021

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

What's happening with your brewery btw, I thought about that the other day but couldn't quite remember which goon was concerned.

Thank you for asking! Run into a bit of a (solvable) issue in that the company I had engaged to help run the equity funding round has filed for liquidation.... with the money I paid them. So that's not handy. Speaking to a couple of orgs who are coordinating furloughed workers to work on social enterprises like mine in the meantime so hopefully something will come from that. In positive news, have been speaking with the prison service and we will be helping by providing employment to prison leavers to ensure that they have fulfilling and skilled work available after release (which massively lowers reoffending rates) and chatting with brewdog and a couple of other places regarding the launch. So it's all coming along - just slower than I wanted due to COVID!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Red Oktober posted:

Thank you for asking! Run into a bit of a (solvable) issue in that the company I had engaged to help run the equity funding round has filed for liquidation.... with the money I paid them. So that's not handy. Speaking to a couple of orgs who are coordinating furloughed workers to work on social enterprises like mine in the meantime so hopefully something will come from that. In positive news, have been speaking with the prison service and we will be helping by providing employment to prison leavers to ensure that they have fulfilling and skilled work available after release (which massively lowers reoffending rates) and chatting with brewdog and a couple of other places regarding the launch. So it's all coming along - just slower than I wanted due to COVID!

Sounds good! Pity about the equity co.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I just turned 40 and my brain is absolutely, definitely in decline. Nobody should be involved in legislation past 50, nobody should be voting past 60 without some kind of test.
Maybe thinking is actually done in the xiphoid process and it ossifies as you get old.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Malcolm Gladwell said on Adam Buxton's podcast that he was more interested in how exciting an idea is than if it's right or wrong, and I think that's where a lot of Shapiros and Petersons of the world fall short. They're so taken by the burning glare of their hot take, they don't actually care if it's true or beneficial.
The Gladwells of the world too, sometimes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/patrickkmaguire/status/1371451758971658240?s=21

lol Lib Dems.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
there will be scares and false starts and insane politicization and nationalism as there has been this entire pandemic, as there has been with every pandemic. it was never a "spanish" flu.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
AZ is FINE against other variants, it like all the others can be quickly adapted it’s just that all of them have chosen not to because it would halt production, when the real issue in this county is the Kent variant and getting us vaccinated against that ASAP - the only real difference between all of them seems to be marketing and gullible loving idiots reading and repeating anti-vax bollocks on the internet.

Just stop with this “I heard” and repeating what you read somewhere bollocks, you all know drat well it’s the AZ vaccine people in this thread are being given, and that if they have had it this early it must mean they are vulnerable and well, I’d say what I think of you but I don’t want to eat a sizer for it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CoolCab posted:

it was never a "spanish" flu.
Wasn't that because Spain was the first country to say "hey has anyone else had a bunch of excess deaths?" back when nobody else wanted to say first because of the war efforts?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Apparently most brain function peaks at 30 then starts to decline so really 35 should be the cutoff for being allowed to vote, govern or drive without taking some sort of annual aptitude test.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

TheRat posted:

Since when are Norwegian healthcare workers in the 30-50 age range notorious for having blotclots and bleeding disorders at the same time?

Oh I don’t loving know, since a deadly pulmonary disease just spent the last year ravaging Europe and healthcare workers in particular YOU ABSOLUTE loving WEAPON.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Didn't 'swine flu' start out as 'mexican flu'?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Guavanaut posted:

Wasn't that because Spain was the first country to say "hey has anyone else had a bunch of excess deaths?" back when nobody else wanted to say first because of the war efforts?

yes, they were the only ones willing to report it and as such everyone went "oh word?! crazy this flu from you guys is totally loving us over goddamn loving Spaniards!". recent scholarship puts the actual patient 0 as coming from a kansas mustering base iirc.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Bobby Deluxe posted:

A few years ago I was looking longingly at a beautiful, mid-size cottage in Keswick for £75k. Last year a single bedroom terrace in the same area was £210k. I don't think I've seen an intact, liveable house in a non stabby area anywhere for less than £200k.

My parents' house was 7 and a half grand in the mid seventies and is creeping up past £300k based on other properties in the street.

Malcolm Gladwell said on Adam Buxton's podcast that he was more interested in how exciting an idea is than if it's right or wrong, and I think that's where a lot of Shapiros and Petersons of the world fall short. They're so taken by the burning glare of their hot take, they don't actually care if it's true or beneficial

Adam Buxton gave a platform to Malcolm Gladwell? loving public school boys.

As for the housing stuff, there's definitely affordable housing in relatively safe areas. But of course the trick is it has to be somewhere without much in the way of well paying jobs and also not desirable for holiday homes for rich pricks.

poo poo sucks, unless you are in a position to work from home and don't mind living in an area away from civilisation and with daily reminders of the cost of Thatcherism.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

forkboy84 posted:

Adam Buxton gave a platform to Malcolm Gladwell? loving public school boys.

As for the housing stuff, there's definitely affordable housing in relatively safe areas. But of course the trick is it has to be somewhere without much in the way of well paying jobs and also not desirable for holiday homes for rich pricks.

poo poo sucks, unless you are in a position to work from home and don't mind living in an area away from civilisation and with daily reminders of the cost of Thatcherism.

Yeah it sucked and he sucked

I love Buckles dearly but he is a deeply wet liberal who also likes to passive aggressively whinge about cancel culture and twitter spats all the loving time

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Private Speech posted:

Yeah there's a good chance it's a distraction tactic from the fact that the best way to get the vaccine in Europe right now is to move to Britain.

Wait so you seriously believe this is a conspiracy by the governments of Norway, Denmark, Ireland, France, Germany and Italy? All independently collaborating with each other to tarnish the image of Great Britain?

There is a political calculation here. That's inevitable when you need people's consent for vaccination, they have to believe in the safety of the vaccine.

The anti-vaxx version of events is going to spread anyway. So, where trust in the AZ vaccine is already low, governments have two choices

1. Ignore it - this will definitely damage the reputation of the AZ vaccine short and long term and potentially undermine faith in all vaccines

2. Investigate it - This will definitely damage faith in the AZ vaccine in the short term, might help recover it in the long term and at least wont damage faith in the other vaccines

You might think 1 is a better choice but that doesn't mean governments choosing 2 is a cynical PR attempt on their own behalf.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Comrade Fakename posted:

I won't be surprised if he outpolls the Tory candidate with this strategy.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

Random Integer posted:

Wait so you seriously believe this is a conspiracy by the governments of Norway, Denmark, Ireland, France, Germany and Italy? All independently collaborating with each other to tarnish the image of Great Britain?

There is a political calculation here. That's inevitable when you need people's consent for vaccination, they have to believe in the safety of the vaccine.

The anti-vaxx version of events is going to spread anyway. So, where trust in the AZ vaccine is already low, governments have two choices

1. Ignore it - this will definitely damage the reputation of the AZ vaccine short and long term and potentially undermine faith in all vaccines

2. Investigate it - This will definitely damage faith in the AZ vaccine in the short term, might help recover it in the long term and at least wont damage faith in the other vaccines

You might think 1 is a better choice but that doesn't mean governments choosing 2 is a cynical PR attempt on their own behalf.

Honestly the main reason I'm sceptical is that the great british public, famously known for being very reasonable, is not complaining about the vaccine at all despite getting far more shots of it than anyone else.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suppose if it did just give you heart attacks that does put a damper on complaints.

You would think it would be more noticeable though.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Private Speech posted:

Honestly the main reason I'm sceptical is that the great british public, famously known for being very reasonable, is not complaining about the vaccine at all despite getting far more shots of it than anyone else.

This is why I talked earlier about it being batch-specific, it's the only way I can really see it being an issue.

Batch issues also don't mean "limited" or even "self-resolving", because unless you perform a root-cause analysis and resolve the process failure you're still putting patients at risk.

But to stress, absolutely nobody currently posting itt has enough info to evaluate whether there is a legitimate safety signal here, which is why it's being investigated

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

CoolCab posted:

yes, they were the only ones willing to report it and as such everyone went "oh word?! crazy this flu from you guys is totally loving us over goddamn loving Spaniards!". recent scholarship puts the actual patient 0 as coming from a kansas mustering base iirc.

I'm not a defender of this government at all and we know there was a huge amount of stuff they cocked up (and still are) around tracking and tracing, closing borders etc - but was this not the same as when they discovered the 'UK Strain' - that it was already in a few other places too, and the UK was the first one to put their hand up and say "erm, we have something new here"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
good on thorntons for disappearing, no longer existing