Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Mulaney Power Move posted:

no he has definitely pulled guns on people and tried to run over at least one guy with his car

he's an old loving coward and he doesn't have the balls to pull the trigger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

plus i don't think podcast money is enough to make problems go away after shooting somebody. gonna need to sell off a lot more memorabilia first

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

MJeff posted:

You think he has the reflexes for that?

I mean I think you could just rush the guy with a baseball bat and it'd be over pretty drat fast.

I sighed as I unsheated my Louisville Slugger

Nothing personnel, Jim

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

MJeff posted:

You think he has the reflexes for that?

I mean I think you could just rush the guy with a baseball bat and it'd be over pretty drat fast.

And he advocated for bombing civilians in 2001, I'm operating under the assumption that people who enjoyed his old wrestling stories didn't know about that stuff.

One was on an OVW show no one watched, the other was on the very podcast we are discussing and led to one of his cohosts quitting. It was widely talked about.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Jim usually gets less than 50k views for his videos.

To put that in context, John Silver has 57k views for recreating a scene from The Sandlot with Marko Stunt.

He gets comparable numbers of viewers to the comedy engineering podcast Well There's Your Problem. He's already nobody.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lamuella posted:

Jim usually gets less than 50k views for his videos.

To put that in context, John Silver has 57k views for recreating a scene from The Sandlot with Marko Stunt.

He gets comparable numbers of viewers to the comedy engineering podcast Well There's Your Problem. He's already nobody.

I've heard people saying that talking about Cornette signal boosts him and I just don't see the evidence. Even looking at google search data yeah he had the huge boost for Double or Nothing but since then interest has been declining, getting little boosts here and there.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

MassRafTer posted:

I've heard people saying that talking about Cornette signal boosts him and I just don't see the evidence. Even looking at google search data yeah he had the huge boost for Double or Nothing but since then interest has been declining, getting little boosts here and there.

hence him going to the diminishing returns of saying more and more controversial things and less and less people caring.

bartok
May 10, 2006

I just hope Dark Side of the Ring stops using him as a talking head.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Me: What kind of people like Jim Cornette in 2021?

https://twitter.com/MichaelMaiello/status/1371222593592758277

Oh.

https://twitter.com/MichaelMaiello/status/1371227973706264577

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lmao

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

drat i cant believe a pedophild apologist is a wrestling fan

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

MotU posted:

I sighed as I unsheated my Louisville Slugger

Nothing personnel, Jim

teleports behind u

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

bartok posted:

I just hope Dark Side of the Ring stops using him as a talking head.

They're just farming content for the inevitable Cornette episode.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I could not imagine being such a joyless prick. Being that hateful can't be good for your heart.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MassRafTer posted:

Yeah, he just lives rent free in all our heads like he did with his mom until she died. While someone more interesting would probably get traffic, it's not like repeatedly calling Penelope a whore or Kenny a pedophile is even a take. It's just sad, even by shock jock standards, poo poo. There's no nuance to any of his reviews or arguments, it's just him yelling it's bad and insulting people who actually have jobs.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I genuinely hate South Park Guy more than Cornette

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

is the bluechew stuff in reference to something? mr cornette go on cumtown

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

All wrestling adjacent podcasts are sponsored by bluechew because wrestlers love abusing prescription medications and having sex, so combining the two is a clear winner.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Who's the guy behind the 9 out of morbid curiosity?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Who's the guy behind the 9 out of morbid curiosity?

Don Callis. It's a reference to this if you don't watch AEW: https://youtu.be/7ZzE5Fvw9-c

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Destroy My Sweater posted:

is the bluechew stuff in reference to something? mr cornette go on cumtown

It's just a pill that purports to help with Erectile Dysfunction.

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

TV Zombie posted:

It's just a pill that purports to help with Erectile Dysfunction.

chew it and do it

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Smoky Mountain Wrestling (1991 - 1995)
IWA Mid-South (1996 - today)

the numbers speak for themselves.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The second SMW champion was named The Dirty White Boy

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

coconono posted:

Smoky Mountain Wrestling (1991 - 1995)
IWA Mid-South (1996 - today)

the numbers speak for themselves.

Is Cornette worse than Ian Rotten at this point? I assume not, in so far as all Jim does is say hateful poo poo and Ian has physically hurt multiple people

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lid posted:

The second SMW champion was named The Dirty White Boy

He was also named TL Hopper but I try not to hold that against Tony Anthony.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Gaz-L posted:

Is Cornette worse than Ian Rotten at this point? I assume not, in so far as all Jim does is say hateful poo poo and Ian has physically hurt multiple people

i dont know, i think i would rather get my rear end kicked than be forced to have sex with cornettes wife for a push

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Didn't Ian hold a fundraising card for a kayfabe injury once? (Which is not to say he's worse than Cornette because I still strongly lean 'not.')

Destroy My Sweater
Jul 24, 2009

Blake 182

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Ian's a wrestling promoter so trying to lionize him as a great human being is a futile task

but he's got more skin in the game than Cornette does and mostly minds his own business.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Dawgstar posted:

He was also named TL Hopper but I try not to hold that against Tony Anthony.
He also managed The Godwinns for a short period as "Uncle Cletus"

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
They're both carnies, but they're very different.

Jim is, of course, famously scorched earth over disagreements, but he's also shockingly honest when he's not shticking it up. (If nothing else, he's given us a tremendously improved understanding of historical wrestler pay scales.) He's still a carny, but more by way of his insistence on treating "getting heat" as a barometer of anything in the real world. And because that's how he's been viewing his self-worth, it's resulted in him becoming a lot more outright viscerally hated by fans and wrestlers alike the last couple years.

Ian is much more of a surface carny, but whose carniness is lovable in a weird way. For example, he and Dave Prazak had a pretty ugly split years ago after Ian booked a maatch that was seemingly designed just to undermine Prazak, Jimmy Jacobs, and B.J. Whitmer's jobs in Ring of Honor. (Specifically, he put Jacobs and Whitmer, the ROH champs, together as a team for the first time on an IWA show solely so he could job them out.) Yet they ended up friendly again a few years ago and Prazak has done commentary for IWA shows on occasion since then. Even though Ian didn't always provide the safest environment or most reliable payoffs, he's also provided a pretty fantastic learning atmosphere that helped shape a lot of careers. Since he's also a lot more easygoing than Jim is, all of that results in him probably being a lot less hated by wrestlers right now, at least.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

neither of them murdered or raped anyone so that means theres like hundreds of wrestling personalities that are worse people

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

mike levy would argue ian was very drat close to murdering someone

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Critical posted:

What happened to Levy was lovely and inexcusable but my memory is that saying it was close to murder is mad silly.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Critical posted:

lmao SCI 2017, which was supposed to be Tank's "retirement" weekend(he did not retire), one of the big advertised hotel events was Tank talking about "what REALLY happened" with the Mike Levy incident, and it was just the same loving side of the story those shitheads have told since the beginning

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

What happened to Levy was lovely and inexcusable but my memory is that saying it was close to murder is mad silly.

they jumped off the top rope onto his head driving it into a ladder with full force

not saying they were trying to kill the dude but they are very fortunate they did not cave in his skull or crush his windpipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

davidbix posted:

Ian is much more of a surface carny, but whose carniness is lovable in a weird way. For example, he and Dave Prazak had a pretty ugly split years ago after Ian booked a maatch that was seemingly designed just to undermine Prazak, Jimmy Jacobs, and B.J. Whitmer's jobs in Ring of Honor. (Specifically, he put Jacobs and Whitmer, the ROH champs, together as a team for the first time on an IWA show solely so he could job them out.) Yet they ended up friendly again a few years ago and Prazak has done commentary for IWA shows on occasion since then. Even though Ian didn't always provide the safest environment or most reliable payoffs, he's also provided a pretty fantastic learning atmosphere that helped shape a lot of careers. Since he's also a lot more easygoing than Jim is, all of that results in him probably being a lot less hated by wrestlers right now, at least.

It is crazy the talent that got honed in IWA. Every early card I see from them read's like The Indies' Who's Who of the 00's. The women too, of course. Didn't Prazak start SHIMMER because he saw them come through IWA-MS and was like 'hey, there's enough women wrestlers to run a promotion?'