Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Amppelix posted:

the superstar saga remake at least is totally worth playing over the original, they didn't have to rush that one due to imminent death

Combat in the remake is so much slower on every aspect for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Snake Maze posted:

It’s been a while but I thought that was just Nintendo writing a profile that had a tongue in cheek reference to how we never actually see Mario doing plumbing, but then the language barrier + clickbait means there was a rush of inaccurate “Nintendo says Mario is no longer a plumber!??” articles, not Nintendo themselves going back and forth or anything.
Ehh, the line in the changed profile was basically 'There's even rumors he used to be a plumber...' which can be taken as A) a joke along the lines of that or B) that he isn't a plumber anymore. Like you can read it both ways. Plus whether or not Mario's from Brooklyn is definitely something they've gone back and forth on. There's the backstory that he fell into the Mushroom Kingdom from the real world, there's the yoshi's island backstory, there's a bunch of random elements they seem entirely unsure how to manage.

And I'm not here pulling my hair out over the Mario Canon but it is noticeable how uncertain Nintendo seems on some of the details of their mascot.

Doc V
Mar 20, 2010

The Colonel posted:

they didnt own alphadream but the reason alphadream went bankrupt was specifically because they made the 3ds remake of bowser's inside story, which was insanely bare, and it sold like poo poo because everyone had already moved onto the switch by then, making a 3ds remake of a ds game that ran at half the framerate utterly irrelevant. so you could say in some way that the reason they went under is cause nintendo offered them little enough support that they couldn't really upscale operations for switch game dev

The BIS remake isn't what killed Alphadream, they were already hundreds of millions of yen in the red before it came out. The remakes feel more like a last-ditch effort from AD's side to keep the studio afloat with cheap cash-ins in a situation where trying to make a full-fledged new title would've bled them out before they ever got it out of the door.

The reason they were in that state in the first place was probably overexpansion after the original BIS did better than they expected, followed by the one-two punch of Dream Team missing its sales targets by a country mile and Paper Jam just flopping completely. How much of that was due to Nintendo and how much was them loving up on their own is a whole other question, but I doubt we'll ever get a definitive answer to that.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Yeah what it comes down to is that Mario isn't really supposed to make sense, that's not what Mario is for

There have been like ten different attempts to place "mario jumps on blocks" games into a broader setting and they all contradict each other and it doesn't really matter. They've been trying to make the official Zelda timeline make sense lately in order to force some kind of continuity between games, and I think that's cool and interesting, but ultimately not really necessary for Mario. We're probably never going to see Pianta Village or Rogueport or Rose Town again, Toad Town is going to look completely different if it ever shows up again, hell even Metro Kingdom is fairly unlikely to make a repeat appearance. And that's ok!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

main issue i have is just the 'all toads must be THIS toad design' thing. like thats lame. also they killed toadsworth

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Toadsworth was a traitor

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
embrace multiple mario canons
all mario backstories are true
crisis of infinite marios

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

loquacius posted:

Odyssey raises a lot of questions like that, Nintendo has kind of painted themselves into a canonical corner

Humans live in the Metro Kingdom, but they're regular-looking humans with regular human proportions rather than roly-poly cartoon men like Mario or Luigi, or anime girls like Peach or Daisy (or even Pauline, oddly enough)

Actually if you consult the leaflet, you’ find out that Mario and Luigi are humans, and Metro Kingdom is actually populated by New Donkers

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sakurazuka posted:

Toadsworth was a traitor

The Mushroom Kingdom disappeared toadsworth due his seditious nature

Anyway I missed the final boss discussion a bit back but nothing beats the boss of Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light.

Until facing him, the game might've seemed not too tough, until he performs a single attack that does max damage to your entire party. And it's not, like, a big attack, it's just something he does frequently. But why so strong, 'Im max level' you say.

Hah, you idiot. You dunce. Didn't you know? The final boss scales with your level.

Which means that, at this point, if you ever want to beat the game, you are forced to hunt down the four secret dungeons of the game to raise the upgrade cap on your equipment - see, most of your power comes from upgrading your equipment with gems, but it's caps at like +5 or something, unless you do these secret, super hard dungeons. Then after each dungeon you need to grind to find gems so that you can get stronger enough to face the next one. Four times. THEN you can actually have a chance against the final boss.

The best part is that the game gives you an item that increases the XP you earn, without telling you that it turns it into a challenge run.

I never beat the game.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Mar 15, 2021

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Morpheus posted:

The Mushroom Kingdom disappeared toadsworth due his seditious nature

Anyway I missed the final boss discussion a bit back but nothing beats the boss of Final Fantasy: 4 Heroes of Light.

Until facing him, the game might've seemed not too tough, until he performs a single attack that does max damage to your entire party. And it's not, like, a big attack, it's just something he does frequently. But why so strong, 'Im max level' you say.

Hah, you idiot. You dunce. Didn't you know? The final boss scales with your level.

Which means that, at this point, if you ever want to beat the game, you are forced to hunt down the four secret dungeons of the game to raise the upgrade cap on your equipment - see, most of your power comes from upgrading your equipment with gems, but it's caps at like +5 or something, unless you do these secret, super hard dungeons. Then after each dungeon you need to grind to find gems so that you can get stronger enough to face the next one. Four times. THEN you can actually have a chance against the final boss.

The best part is that the game gives you an item that increases the XP you earn, without telling you that it turns it into a challenge run.

I never beat the game.
This is exactly what happened to me, lol. I spent a few hours grinding for gems to upgrade classes and weapons, not knowing that the levels I earned in the meantime would gently caress me over later. gently caress that game

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I'm reminded of the Oblivion leveling system, which also used your character level as the basis for its enemy difficulty scaling system despite the fact that it had very little to do with how good you were at fighting (which was based more around your skill points and equipment)

My first Oblivion run, I discovered that I could powerlevel myself by running around the Blades monastery casting non-combat spells over and over, then ventured out into the world and was suddenly murdered by every enemy everywhere and had no idea why :shepface:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bethesda's level scaling has always been and will probably always be real terrible.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Makes me glad I developed this habit in open world games to walk everywhere, sword in hand, and murder everything in my way. This meant when I got stuck obsessively forging in Skyrim, the levels I gained didn't immediately gently caress me over when I remembered there was also a RPG mini-game in this forging simulator :v:

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

poe meater posted:

Speaking of Mario RPGs, which one is the best one after SNES Super Mario RPG? I only really played the original when I was a kid.

paper mario 64, origami king, thousand year door, superstar saga, and bowser's inside story are all really good and i'd probably rank them in that order

the paper marios branched off from axed plans for super mario rpg 2 and the first two still bear some resemblance to the original but are games with much lower numbers and a slower pace. the third one is a weird puzzle platformer and the rest of the series is very contentious among fans but origami king is a strong step in the right direction. mario & luigi as a series is a bit hit or miss but the basic idea is that your only party members are mario and luigi and you control each of them with dedicated buttons. the gameplay here is prrrobably more similar to smrpg (at least superstar is) than paper mario, if that's what you're interested in

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think trying to make the zelda timeline a thing is worse because the games written around doing that aren't very interesting and all the best zelda stories are just their own weird small story that isn't trying to live up to any kind of canonical expectations

mario just has one fun idea for a small story and maybe tries to have an atmosphere once every decade

e; though wind waker's use of hyrule and ganondorf in its story was sorta neat, i feel like outside of big goofy crossovers that's the one game that did have some decent ideas for how to use it and i wish most games' uses of it were as like, thematically weighty and cool

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 15, 2021

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

loquacius posted:

who is Bowser Jr's mom? Is Bowser a widower? He does have pretty strong divorced-dad energy

In Super Mario Sunshine Bowser claims Peach is Bowser Jr's mom and she doesn't deny it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

conveniently leaving out the part where later bowser admits that isn't actually true, i see!!!

this does imply that peach and bowser may have a yet-unseen child together though

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
BJ is a good kid

it's just that if you're bowser's son, being a good kid means being the best bad kid you can be

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Amppelix posted:

conveniently leaving out the part where later bowser admits that isn't actually true, i see!!!

this does imply that peach and bowser may have a yet-unseen child together though

Actually he doesn't! Bowser just says he has something difficult to tell Jr. about Peach, and then Jr cuts him off to say he knows Peach isn't really his mom. By all appearances Jr came to that conclusion on his own, presumably because as a little kid he doesn't know how to handle the fact that his mother doesn't want to be part of his life.

Bowser lets the topic drop after that, but that's just because he doesn't know how to explain his failed relationship with Peach to a child.

Obviously this has tremendous implications on the long-term psychological impact of Bowser's Fury, as Junior is forced to team up with his stepdad to save his biodad.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It kinda sucks Bowser Jr. had his own story that's kinda sweet and they just shoved it into a side mode of an unnecessary remake on a console that was on it's way out.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Oh my god you managed to bring it back to the mario rpgs, and incredibly smoothly too

And yeah the bowser jr mode seems to have some really solid writing in it. I'm never going to play it though so...

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

RareAcumen posted:

Combat in the remake is so much slower on every aspect for some reason.

I think you’re thinking of the BIS remake. Technical issues and some weird design decisions ended up making combat feel sluggish, especially if you play on an OG 3DS. The Superstar remake actually sped some of the slower aspects up. GBA Fire Bros was a super slow attack that doesn’t take nearly as long to pull off anymore in the remake.

Electric Phantasm posted:

It kinda sucks Bowser Jr. had his own story that's kinda sweet and they just shoved it into a side mode of an unnecessary remake on a console that was on it's way out.

Yeah the side modes had some pretty decent writing. Too bad the gameplay was really awful.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Mar 15, 2021

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

The Colonel posted:

mario odyssey had some okay bits in it at least

they've gotten a little better than the period of time where new super mario bros was coming out every year and the most exciting thing to mention about the series was that 3d world had an aesthetic and one level in nsmbu looked pretty.

i'm still slightly conflicted about whether the whole thing with the bob omb in origami king was funnier with him being a generic or whether he should've actually gotten some kind of unique design if they were going to so much effort with his stuff

Overall i hate it but for the very specific instance of that bob-bomb its better for him to be generic imo, just works better for the story

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
bobby's design is flawless

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
re. final boss chat: the final boss should either be a relatively challenging fight that uses your knowledge of normal game mechanics or a relatively easy gimmick/cutscene fight. Hard gimmick fights at major plot junctures are the Worst

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Endorph posted:

Ehh, the line in the changed profile was basically 'There's even rumors he used to be a plumber...' which can be taken as A) a joke along the lines of that or B) that he isn't a plumber anymore. Like you can read it both ways. Plus whether or not Mario's from Brooklyn is definitely something they've gone back and forth on. There's the backstory that he fell into the Mushroom Kingdom from the real world, there's the yoshi's island backstory, there's a bunch of random elements they seem entirely unsure how to manage.

And I'm not here pulling my hair out over the Mario Canon but it is noticeable how uncertain Nintendo seems on some of the details of their mascot.

Really? I thought the whole Brooklyn thing was just a thing that was an early part of the franchise they just dropped entirely later. It's never really been mentioned outside of the early cartoons or that old live action Mario movie. They seem to have stuck with the Yoshi's Island backstory for the rest of the franchise. (And then did the whole "whoops wrong family" thing in New Island for some reason.)

They definitely fluctuate on a bunch of other details though Miyamoto said it was more akin to something like Goof Troop where they can fit into whatever. That being said, a good portion of the other conflicts seem to stem from internal disagreements on how Mario should be handled. Koizumi's one of the main handlers of the mainline series now and he seems to have quite the different philosophy from Miyamoto on some elements.

Amppelix posted:

i feel this has a lot more to do with it being a lower budget remake so they just reused the one toad and koopa sprite they had. most of the weirdo enemies still look weird, after all.

there's no clear indication if the strange design restrictions that intelligent systems have spoken of in interviews apply to any other part of the mario brand or if it's just for paper mario, but looking at stuff like luigi's mansion 3 and odyssey i feel pretty good about the place the mario universe is right now design creativity-wise anyway.

mandatory lesbian posted:

Overall i hate it but for the very specific instance of that bob-bomb its better for him to be generic imo, just works better for the story

Yeah it seems outside of the mainline handlers that are allowed to do whatever they want with Mario, external handlers aren't allowed to go outside of the "Mario regulations' unless it's a sub-series like Luigi's Mansion, and they apparently clamped down real hard after Sticker Star. AlphaDream heavily disagreed with them and stuck to their guns for Dream Team. Unfortunately when that title didn't do so well, I guess that was the end of that.

Kensuke Tanabe even said in an Origami King related interview it was something Nintendo was actively enforcing and the dev team found it hard and frustrating to work with those restrictions, to the point where they basically had to go all in on writing since they couldn't make the characters stand out through new designs (outside of the obvious workarounds they found like cosplay, dressing up the characters, or making nicknames.)

They're at least having Mario himself show more personality in the Switch titles at the very least instead of just stone-faced happy all the time.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Mar 16, 2021

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Honestly, Nintendo embracing the Zelda timeline was a mistake and it's good that Mario's backstory is vague and open to changes whenever they feel like changing things (which is very rare, because it's not important).

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Really says something when BOTW was basically a big reboot for the series regarding the timeline nonsense and just threw huge wrenches into everything regarding that and was all the better off for it.

Mainline Mario titles don't exactly have much going on story wise anyways, but the 3D titles definitely have considerably more life in them compared to the NSMB series. Like I really can't say Odyssey is as sterile as those or anything like that. Though Galaxy 2 did get something weird like the Rosalina storybook zapped and the general "story" sticks out compared to the first game's atmosphere if you know about Galaxy 1. Wouldn't say Galaxy 2 is as lifeless as NSMB, but it definitely sticks out as a Miyamoto meddling moment.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Every zelda game is a complete wrench in the gears to fans timeline nonsense, the only ones who actually give a poo poo are them, Nintendo will never care no matter how many guidebooks they put out.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

WrightOfWay posted:

Honestly, Nintendo embracing the Zelda timeline was a mistake and it's good that Mario's backstory is vague and open to changes whenever they feel like changing things (which is very rare, because it's not important).

zelda has a lot more freedom than mario tbh, given that they clamped down hardcore on letting other people work on mario while Hyrule Warriors and Cadence are still current and the guy in charge of directing Zelda atm transferred from Capcom after directing the Oracles from there

e: also I'm pretty sure that zelda timeline guys aren't even a thing anymore, they put out that book an actual decade ago and there's only been one truly new zelda game since then

Motto fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 16, 2021

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Motto posted:

zelda has a lot more freedom than mario tbh, given that they clamped down hardcore on letting other people work on mario while Hyrule Warriors and Cadence are still current and the guy in charge of directing Zelda atm transferred from Capcom after directing the Oracles from there

To add onto this, even though Mario + Rabbids was a really out there title with all sorts of wacky stuff going on, not even it was free from one main restriction. The Rabbids and the other Mario characters could get up to ridiculous antics in that game, but Mario himself was not allowed to be anything but static. If you look closely you'll notice he himself never really does much and is pretty static in personality regarding the cutscenes he shows up in. (Compared to say Next Level Games giving Mario some really wholesome moments in Luigi's Mansion 3.)

That being said Ubisoft also did not want to be known as "the company that broke Mario" so it was something of a 2-way street regarding that restriction.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 16, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Endorph posted:

main issue i have is just the 'all toads must be THIS toad design' thing. like thats lame. also they killed toadsworth

It dragged down Color Splash which was impressive because that games combat was already a ball and chain.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://twitter.com/wendeego/status/1371514202616168449

surprisingly massive and deep freeware doujin rpgmaker 2003 game released in 2008 just got a tl patch

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
An rpg with good final boss fights that you just steamroll is Lufia 2. The final dungeon is basically a forgone conclusion and you wreck the bosses even harder than the party dies in the Lufia 1 intro.

I remember the fights in Inindo: Way of the Ninja got extremely hard/annoying in the late game. The bosses could aoe dispel your buffs and multiple classes had spell buffs that were basically super saiyan and without them your damage kinda sucked if you were high leveled and/decks out. Also certain npc recruits were flat out superior to most others. The war battle aspect was rad as hell though. I loved sabotaging the poo poo out of a castle then rolling in with a friendly army and walking over the lone commander.

It’s so hard to properly describe how badly made this game was. I think spell buffs were multiplicative as well, so casting a couple defense buffs could increase your defense dozens of times over.

Kingtheninja posted:

That box art kept me well away from that game as a kid. Absolutely terrified.

The utterly absurd box art, coupled with curiosity about a TECMO rpg made me rent it.

The multiple party thing was pretty neat with whole “these five are the chosen ones, you others aren’t but you’re powerful and necessary too to an extent.”

Libluini posted:

Makes me glad I developed this habit in open world games to walk everywhere, sword in hand, and murder everything in my way. This meant when I got stuck obsessively forging in Skyrim, the levels I gained didn't immediately gently caress me over when I remembered there was also a RPG mini-game in this forging simulator :v:

It als doesn’t hurt that forging gear in Skyrim is loving bonkers powerful. Toss in enchanting and you can enchant a set of gear that boost ps blacksmithing, then wear that to craft daedric/dragonbone gear that will have significantly higher stats and now you can effortlessly murder the biggest baddest enemies in the game without trying.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

The Colonel posted:

i think trying to make the zelda timeline a thing is worse because the games written around doing that aren't very interesting and all the best zelda stories are just their own weird small story that isn't trying to live up to any kind of canonical expectations

mario just has one fun idea for a small story and maybe tries to have an atmosphere once every decade

e; though wind waker's use of hyrule and ganondorf in its story was sorta neat, i feel like outside of big goofy crossovers that's the one game that did have some decent ideas for how to use it and i wish most games' uses of it were as like, thematically weighty and cool

the thing is that it was always very easy to fit zelda into a coherent timeline. the games mostly do not contradict each other in any way, but often take place at points in the timeline that were previously implied to exist, even if only vaguely. majora's mask was the only complication for a long time, in that adding a second branch of the timeline raises the question of which game is on which timeline

nintendo's attempt to make the timeline "coherent" is nonsensical because it further complicates the branching timeline of ocarina/majora by making a "game over" in ocarina a canonical ending as well. in doing so, it splits the Z1/Z2/LttP/etc. timeline and wind waker timelines apart where they were previously agreed to be part of the same branch; the flood provided a very convenient explanation for why hyrule is totally different, the zoras are monsters, the gorons are extinct in hyrule, etc. etc. and there's a clear progression in ganondorf's slide from warrior-badass to giant monster. wind waker was practically made to be the connective tissue here but now it's officially not. very silly

and yeah, none of this actually matters at all beyond the occasional vague allusion to other games in the form of legends, etc. because each individual sub-setting is fortunately very self-contained

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Mar 16, 2021

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

My favorite bit about the Zelda timeline was the fandom slap fights over which games fit in the "Adult" timeline, which in the "Kid". And then they come out with the official one, and go "Oh by the way there's also a timeline where Link loving ate it against Ganon". Beautiful.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

the only zelda "timeline" i really care about is randomizer speedruns

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Zelda has already had plenty of explicit connections between the games, even outside the ones that use the same link/zelda (like MM and PH). OoT is pretty intentionally a prequel to LttP, and both Wind Waker and Twilight Princess call back to that same general story outline when they give Ganondorf's backstory. LttP, TP, and WW are all slightly different on the details, which is why the timeline has branching paths, but it isn't made up out of whole cloth.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I have never once cared about zelda timeline and every person who needs them to be a single organized linear and coherent series of events lacks imagination

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Barudak posted:

I have never once cared about zelda timeline and every person who needs them to be a single organized linear and coherent series of events lacks imagination

It's fun seeing where they could piece together, hth

Anyway where the gently caress is the EU release of Kowloon, Arcsys