Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

Sab669 posted:

My aforementioned rear end in a top hat of a hound does that all the time on our walks if I take a turn down the path that is a shorter walk. Or any time at all when we start to go home. Or turn around at a trail head.

The real answer is to have treats on you and work on their Recall, but I kinda just give her a tug or two or three and she eventually concedes.

This is my hound too. Sometimes we have a little stare off before I give a little tug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I use gentle but steady pressure on the lead. Not a yank or hard tug, I’m standing still and putting just slight steady pressure towards me and the direction I want to go. Praise when they comply.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Puppy is getting pretty good with the crate - he more or less goes in at night without protest once I make it clear that he isn’t sleeping on the bed with me (our wind-down routine is chilling on the bed together.)

My current strategy with day time crating is to give him his meals in Kongs in the crate. He stays in the crate for 1-2 hours after finishing his meal. He whines for a bit but generally stops after 30ish minutes.

The strange thing is that he doesn’t seem to actually sleep in the crate, nor will he play with toys in the crate. This leads to a cranky puppy when he comes out of the crate, which takes quite a bit of settling before he will nap in the dog bed in my office.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

DarkSoulsTantrum posted:

I use gentle but steady pressure on the lead. Not a yank or hard tug, I’m standing still and putting just slight steady pressure towards me and the direction I want to go. Praise when they comply.

This is what I do when the dog wants to go the wrong direction or is just refusing to go where I want.

I don't say anything for awhile, just keep a steady pressure and don't let them get anywhere from tugging, then eventually I'll give the 'come' command and most of the time Ellie will follow along at that point. At the very least she's learned pulling won't get what she wants, but I'm also a big softie who will stop and let her smell every single tree on the walk, so I don't have to fight her constantly just to keep her moving.

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Some bitches can be moody or achy when they come into heat but neither of my bitches have been lower energy when they're in. They're all different though! Make sure you know about the symptoms of pyometra because that's the main worry with cycling bitches. If you're concerned it's better to call your vet and have it be nothing than have a potentially life-threatening infection happening.

Also keeping bitches intact at least through maturity is becoming more common and I hope people are starting to see that it's not the end of the world to not get your dog fixed as young as physically possible. My older bitch is fixed now but my younger one just started her first heat over the weekend at 11 months old. It's gross when your awful puppy scoots her vag all the way down the armrest of your couch but otherwise I have not found it to be particularly troublesome to deal with an intact bitch.

The worst part with my parent's dog that went into heat was the packs of horny coyotes circling the house all night

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Agent355 posted:

This is what I do when the dog wants to go the wrong direction or is just refusing to go where I want.

I don't say anything for awhile, just keep a steady pressure and don't let them get anywhere from tugging, then eventually I'll give the 'come' command and most of the time Ellie will follow along at that point. At the very least she's learned pulling won't get what she wants, but I'm also a big softie who will stop and let her smell every single tree on the walk, so I don't have to fight her constantly just to keep her moving.

The pressure method and to stop using treats for everything were probably the two most useful bits I got from the trainer we were using prior to COVID.

One other thing she taught me that has been really useful is how to place myself as a physical barrier between my dog(s) and anything I don’t want them interacting with on a walk, I.e. other dogs, joggers, etc. In a smooth motion, wrap the leash around my hand to shorten it, and my arm goes behind my back. No announcement, no fanfare, I’m in charge and you’re behind me now. It took some practice to do it without tensing up or getting nervous but now we can be walking by another dog going apeshit and my two are perfectly in line behind me without more than a glance at the distraction.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Sab669 posted:

Their behavior can and probably will change over the next 6 months as they learn their new environment, but cool :)

This rear end in a top hat STILL tries to climb into the front half of the car, which I do not support and don't know how to disabuse her of the habit. For a while I just installed some mesh screen that mounts to the headrests which kept her out of the front, mostly, but it does impact rear visibility and I don't like it. Got a new car last month and haven't wanted to install the screen.

I put my dog in a chest harness with a leash that plugs into the seat belt lock. I've got it adjusted short enough to prevent this. Also to keep her from being a projectile in the event of an accident.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
I picked up this girl today from the rescue for a foster to adopt thing. She held my hand almost the entire way home. Once she found out that furniture was fair game, she has been very content to hang out on a couch and gaze out the window. Not interested in toys yet. But she is almost suspiciously chill at all times, so I'm not worried about her having excess energy and tearing stuff up just yet.

I think I'm going to name her Salsa.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Omg she's beautiful. :3:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Professor Wayne posted:

I'd be seriously tempted to name her "Left Eye" :v:

She's gorgeous and I'm glad it's going well so far!

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Professor Wayne posted:

I picked up this girl today from the rescue for a foster to adopt thing. She held my hand almost the entire way home. Once she found out that furniture was fair game, she has been very content to hang out on a couch and gaze out the window. Not interested in toys yet. But she is almost suspiciously chill at all times, so I'm not worried about her having excess energy and tearing stuff up just yet.

That's a great dog right there.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
So I just discovered that Pongo knows how to give hugs already. If you invite him to jump up, then say “hugs,” he will squeeze with his forelegs and snuggle in closer. How did we get such a jackpot of a dog?!? :3:

Also, the sunlight makes it clear how incredibly lean and jacked he is, it’s a good thing he is so well mannered.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

5 weeks difference.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

5 weeks difference.

The love in that face in the second picture :kimchi:

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Anyone use a pet feeder that only opens for a specific pet? My cat tries to eat the dogs dry food so we switched the dog to wet food but I don't think regimented feeding time is her favorite thing ever and I'd be happy to free feed her again if I knew the cat wasn't going to sneak treats and get fat. The only feeder I could really find is the SureFeed but it seems like it might be more cat sized? The dog is a westie so she's not huge but the device itself might be too small for her to comfortably use.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
Any tips on teaching the dog to settle after a play/training session? The loop we are currently in is that I will redirect his energy and attention to toys and to sitting or laying on his dog bed, paying him little attention for 5-10 minutes. He will not finally stay in his bed until I negatively redirect a misbehavior like chewing on the chair for the 20th time or jumping on my while I sit at the desk (a loud no and stern eye contact). After the negative correction he will immediately go and fall asleep, so he is clearly ready to do so, but I am really struggling to drive this behavior positively.

Any ideas?

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

Now that I'm almost done with day 2, I just hit the the "oh god, what did I do?" phase. I'm hoping that will fade away sooner rather than later. I feel for people who anxiety problems, this feeling sucks.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Day 2? Dang I felt that way driving home both times lol

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Sab669 posted:

Day 2? Dang I felt that way driving home both times lol

It always hits me as soon as I'm first home with the dog, and it's finally quiet.

Like, oh, this is our life now. Uh. Now what do I do?

It does pass quickly.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

It makes me feel better that it's a pretty common feeling. I'm still feeling way better about it than not.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
I’m a month in and that feeling is mostly gone.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

vs Dinosaurs posted:

Any tips on teaching the dog to settle after a play/training session? The loop we are currently in is that I will redirect his energy and attention to toys and to sitting or laying on his dog bed, paying him little attention for 5-10 minutes. He will not finally stay in his bed until I negatively redirect a misbehavior like chewing on the chair for the 20th time or jumping on my while I sit at the desk (a loud no and stern eye contact). After the negative correction he will immediately go and fall asleep, so he is clearly ready to do so, but I am really struggling to drive this behavior positively.

Any ideas?

Slow feeding while in the target space helps rather than ignoring entirely. You can work the duration between treats, but rewarding the relative calm can help build that behavior. Now when I sit down in the evening and ask our pup to lay down in the bed next to me, I maybe give her 2-3 kibbles in the first 10 minutes then she's just chilling.

We're fortunately lucky enough that small kibbles are her treats.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009

Alucard posted:

Slow feeding while in the target space helps rather than ignoring entirely. You can work the duration between treats, but rewarding the relative calm can help build that behavior. Now when I sit down in the evening and ask our pup to lay down in the bed next to me, I maybe give her 2-3 kibbles in the first 10 minutes then she's just chilling.

We're fortunately lucky enough that small kibbles are her treats.

This is a really good idea and will probably work for me too, thank you! I will report back.

Edit: this worked brilliantly, thanks again.

vs Dinosaurs fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Mar 13, 2021

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Is there any truth to the idea that my boy is uh..managing to somehow grasp tiny beard hairs in his front teeth (he always impresses me) because he's making sure I have no lice or something?

At least it's a reminder for me to shave more often I guess.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It’s me, I’m the dipshit dog owner. Made an entirely rookie mistake and left an entire bag of high-grade treats within reach of Pongo then left him unsupervised just long enough. No harm no foul, the poor guy is super skinny and needs to gain weight, but on his walk this morning the result was the most powerful feces I think I have ever encountered. They even stunk up the garage despite the bag being tightly tied and inside the trash can that usually contains even pretty smelly bags of trash.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
If my dog has even the recommended number of treats (<10% of total calories) he will have some diarrea.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

devmd01 posted:

It’s me, I’m the dipshit dog owner. Made an entirely rookie mistake and left an entire bag of high-grade treats within reach of Pongo then left him unsupervised just long enough. No harm no foul, the poor guy is super skinny and needs to gain weight, but on his walk this morning the result was the most powerful feces I think I have ever encountered. They even stunk up the garage despite the bag being tightly tied and inside the trash can that usually contains even pretty smelly bags of trash.

So, what, like on top of the refrigerator? :v: Did the vet or anyone say how much weight he should put on? I know they're a spindly breed but I thought he did look really thin in your photos. But both of my dogs definitely needed to put on a few pounds coming from the shelter so I figured yours is the same :)

Don't feel bad, my dog has demonstrated the ability to get into my fridge and eat my groceries for like 2 years now and I still forget to lock it on occasion. Hell, just yesterday I went grocery shopping in the morning, came in and put the groceries away, then went outside to back my car into my spot. Came back inside and Bonnie already opened the fridge and pulled some packages out. She must've thought I was leaving when she saw the car leave the driveway :argh: I wasn't even gone 3 minutes.

Fortunately she didn't actually get into anything this time.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

After a pretty good first weekend, today has sucked. The rescue had said that Salsa needs to be an only dog in the house and can "get into it" with other females. On both group walks I took her on before I brought her home, she was chill with the other dogs, at least from 10-20 feet away. I figured she would be fine in my apartment by herself and maybe one day we could work on her at least meeting my friends' dogs. Today she fought with my neighbor's senior citizen labrador when we ran into them in my apartment's stairwell. We saw at least a dozen dogs out on our afternoon walk, and she got way more aggressive than I've seen her before. Lots of hard angry growling and barking, and I had to keep her from choking herself out with her collar at least three times from seeing a dog half a block down the street. And I guess three people on my block got puppies at the same time? I thought she would relax around them, but she growled and lunged towards all of them when she noticed them. Again, I kept around 20 yards away to be safe, but I got some stares. She also lightly growled at a jogger who got a little close while passing, which scared both her and me.

I'm trying to objectively determine if this is going to be a good fit for her. I can't make sure all hallways and stairs are clear every time I take her out to the bathroom. And wrestling her every time she sees another one of the many dogs in my neighborhood is getting old, fast.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Professor Wayne posted:

After a pretty good first weekend, today has sucked. The rescue had said that Salsa needs to be an only dog in the house and can "get into it" with other females. On both group walks I took her on before I brought her home, she was chill with the other dogs, at least from 10-20 feet away. I figured she would be fine in my apartment by herself and maybe one day we could work on her at least meeting my friends' dogs. Today she fought with my neighbor's senior citizen labrador when we ran into them in my apartment's stairwell. We saw at least a dozen dogs out on our afternoon walk, and she got way more aggressive than I've seen her before. Lots of hard angry growling and barking, and I had to keep her from choking herself out with her collar at least three times from seeing a dog half a block down the street. And I guess three people on my block got puppies at the same time? I thought she would relax around them, but she growled and lunged towards all of them when she noticed them. Again, I kept around 20 yards away to be safe, but I got some stares. She also lightly growled at a jogger who got a little close while passing, which scared both her and me.

I'm trying to objectively determine if this is going to be a good fit for her. I can't make sure all hallways and stairs are clear every time I take her out to the bathroom. And wrestling her every time she sees another one of the many dogs in my neighborhood is getting old, fast.

Its not impossible to fix aggressive behavior but it takes A LOT of time and behavioral training with someone (a real trainer) who knows what they're doing and if you're not mentally/financially/emotionally willing of putting in years of constant work, this might not be the dog for you especially if you live in an environment where its difficult for you to avoid encounters with strangers or other dogs. Please don't take this as a criticism of you as a person or the dog whatsoever. Some people just dont have the capacity to handle dogs with aggressive tendencies and thats perfectly okay. Some dogs just aren't a good fit for the owner. Its better to acknowledge it right away than to think things are okay and let something really bad happen like a dog fight or biting a stranger and then have to rehome the dog again.

As the owner of a dog with serious stranger danger issues, its an ongoing process to continue with the training and mitigating risks. It causes a lot of stress and anxiety but we were way too far in to give up on him.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

When did my baby get so big :qq:

She turns 1 on the 28th and I have bought her a new toy corn, which she's going to lose her poo poo over.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
You know how with some dogs you can look into their eyes and see the gears in their primitive steampunk brains turning as they try to figure out their next bit of mischief? With this dog I'm pretty sure I can see the fancy LEDs on her CPU's heat sink. She's adorable, and never let her out of your sight. :allears:

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
So my corgi just turned 1 and I want to start transitioning her from puppy food to dog food, is there any kind of resource available for choosing dry food?

I'm an idiot it's in the OP.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Poor little Savannah (10 weeks) has had giardia since she came home from the breeder at 8 weeks. Frozen-yogurt poops from day 1. We just finished 5 days of medication and the poop never changed at all; hopefully the medication itself was upsetting her tummy and she'll have her first ever solid poop soon?

From my reading, it sounds like our house and yard are now a permanent giardia host so she'll be constantly reinfected until her adult immune system kicks in

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Sab669 posted:

So, what, like on top of the refrigerator? :v: Did the vet or anyone say how much weight he should put on? I know they're a spindly breed but I thought he did look really thin in your photos. But both of my dogs definitely needed to put on a few pounds coming from the shelter so I figured yours is the same :)

Just had the appointment and Pongo is a verified Good Boy. Talking it over with the vet, she wants us to bulk him up over the next 4-6 weeks and re-evaluate. Ideally the ribs won’t be visible but we can still feel them is the goal.

We also discussed running short distances and she was cool with it. I am going to wait until he gets some weight on him before I start taking him with me though. As long as I pay close attention to him for any signs of distress, build up slowly, etc he should be fine. I took him for a short test run a couple of days ago and he did great. It’s like he he was happy that we were finally going a reasonable pace. Only tripped me once but that was kind of on me for leash management while crossing the road.

I feel really sorry for whoever lost this dog back in November or earlier and didn’t have him chipped or find him at the shelter because he is just great.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
everyone, meet Nim. my gfs new pupper. she is a Cattle dog/eskimo mix. she is 9 weeks.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

oh, my god

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That's a lot of attitude for such a small cutey

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sab669 posted:

That's a lot of attitude for such a small cutey

Yeah, she is still in the nippy stage a bit but she is learning good lessons so far. She is very very people friendly and cat friendly so far which is nice. I am more curious what she will look like when she is older.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Had to drop Ruby off at the vet this morning, v. sad to not have my puppo right now.

They're going to pump some saline into her, sort of doggie dialysis. She let us do this exactly once. The second time, she turned into a rabid wolverine. So now the vet's going to do it, and it's way more traumatic for her this way, but what are ya gonna do, I don't wanna get bit by my own dog and it's been enough work just establishing that we're trustworthy.

They're also going to take some blood. We're hoping to see that her kidney function is lots better and we don't need to pump saline into her anymore. Fingers crossed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Oh, so I have a weird question.

I've had Gigi for a little over a year now. Once or twice a month, she'll have these random "breathing fits" for ~10 seconds and then she's fine. I don't know how to describe it other than a very nasaly snorting kind of sound.

Yesterday I got home from work, fed her dinner and took her for our daily walk and she kept repeatedly having those fits, at least 5 times in 15 minutes? I ended our walk prematurely and she was fine the rest of the night.

I did record it so I can show it to my vet, but do you guys have any ideas wtf is up with this little hambeast?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGrz-yNONk8

I don't think it's allergies, could just be general excitement? No clue.