Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Weedle posted:

found the problem. if everyone was six feet away from each other they’d all be fine. it’s actually illegal for covid to infect you at six feet or more

I think they're mixing it up with the 5 second rule. An easy mistake to make, really, if you're not hip to the difference between the bacteria that live on the floor and the COVID virus that lives in all of their ex-coworkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

We have an an engineering company as a client and they use the loving MAPS that Florida State University made of water tables or whatever the gently caress ten years ago that will no longer run because they're all made in flash. I explained to this guy on the phone that it's on the university to update them or not and that there's nothing I can do for them on that end. He called back and chewed me out because the FSU people told him he could just "install an old version of firefox" and when I tried to explain that not only was this a horrible idea and I couldn't do it for him even if I wanted to, our Security Policies wouldn't allow it in the first place. He's currently telling my boss what a worthless piece of poo poo i am

sixth and maimed
Mar 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

Happiness Commando posted:

I think they're mixing it up with the 5 second rule. An easy mistake to make, really, if you're not hip to the difference between the bacteria that live on the floor and the COVID virus that lives in all of their ex-coworkers.

No mixing up; 5 feet is 1.5 metres which is the rule here.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

HP Aruba wireless support...

Me: "You know you just took our wifi network down?"

Guy: "Oh poo poo."

The most useless group of script-reading button-mashers I have ever met.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Unexpected Raw Anime posted:

We have an an engineering company as a client and they use the loving MAPS that Florida State University made of water tables or whatever the gently caress ten years ago that will no longer run because they're all made in flash. I explained to this guy on the phone that it's on the university to update them or not and that there's nothing I can do for them on that end. He called back and chewed me out because the FSU people told him he could just "install an old version of firefox" and when I tried to explain that not only was this a horrible idea and I couldn't do it for him even if I wanted to, our Security Policies wouldn't allow it in the first place. He's currently telling my boss what a worthless piece of poo poo i am

Is he doing that thing all the best assholes do where he talks at length about how aggrieved he is and how you couldn't help him one bit, but not actually saying exactly what happened, almost as if he knows that'd make him look dumb?

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Mar 15, 2021

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Is he doing that thing all the best assholes do where he talks at length about how aggrieved he is and how you couldn't help him one bit, but not actually saying exactly what happened, almost as if he knows that'd make him look dumb?

Look within, you know the answer

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Im too tired for everything to be broken today. how loving dare microsoft break poo poo the day after the time change when everyone is miserable.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

silicone thrills posted:

Im too tired for everything to be broken today. how loving dare microsoft break poo poo the day after the time change when everyone is miserable.

What did MIcrosoft break today? I still haven't figured out who's specifically at fault for the Kyocera nonsense I've been dealing with for a week but I'm going to say both because loving printer drivers running in kernel mode are goddamn insane no matter what.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

wolrah posted:

What did MIcrosoft break today? I still haven't figured out who's specifically at fault for the Kyocera nonsense I've been dealing with for a week but I'm going to say both because loving printer drivers running in kernel mode are goddamn insane no matter what.

They pushed some bad update to azure that busted O365 and Auth for a few hours today. No one could use teams meetings. All our ms storage was pinging me every 5 min with a critical error. It was a fairly impressive meltdown.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

wolrah posted:

This has pretty much ruined my life the last week.

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug

silicone thrills posted:

Seriously. I was trying to get a script working hitting the graph API and was getting a ton of errors at 4pm. Thought about it, saw the admin incidents, saw the duo incident email about AAD issues and just said “Ya know what? I’ll try this tomorrow”

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"New and improved Microsoft(tm)"

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

quote:

Also, need another big favor from you. It seems our <MEDICAL_SCHOOL> laptops have grown feet away. Can we track them down again? It seems a lot of MHTs tend to take them from our gero/adult/child offices.

The first one we located was being used to stream Hulu (we blocked Netflix a week or two ago). Send the laptop a message to return it to the person who submitted the ticket above, they kept closing it and re-opening Hulu.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

we had a townhall meeting on corporate values that I didn't realise was compulsory until after it had started so I had nothing prepared and contributed nothing. So some fucker volunteered me to do a video presentation on what we'd learned on the theme of "passionate"

fucksake :effort:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Talk about how you are a "family" and you try to make "win win" situations

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Subject: UPDATE - Mandatory PTO/UTO

As previously communicated, the pandemic has had severe financial consequences, requiring many organizations to use furloughs or layoffs. xxxxxxxxxx is not currently in that financial position and we hope to avoid having to take these measures. However, we have experienced a significant decline in patient volume since mid-March 2020 and as a result have incurred substantial losses in net income.

After careful review, we have reduced the number of hours and provided additional flexibility in scheduling time off. We are now asking all salaried staff, and all full-time hourly staff not involved in direct patient care, to use 40 hours of PTO or unpaid time any time between April 1 and June 30, 2021. The expectation is that the 40 hours will be in addition to any company designated holidays listed in the Employee Handbook. An employee’s use of unpaid time off will not affect benefit status.

Thank you for your commitment and invaluable contributions.

xxx xxxxx
President & CEO

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Morales posted:

The first one we located was being used to stream Hulu (we blocked Netflix a week or two ago). Send the laptop a message to return it to the person who submitted the ticket above, they kept closing it and re-opening Hulu.

time to remotely lock it out and fire someone

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

As previously communicated, the pandemic has had severe financial consequences, requiring many organizations to use furloughs or layoffs. xxxxxxxxxx is not currently in that financial position and we hope to avoid having to take these measures. However, we have experienced a significant decline in patient volume since mid-March 2020 and as a result have incurred substantial losses in net income.

After careful review, we have reduced the number of hours and provided additional flexibility in scheduling time off. We are now asking all salaried staff, and all full-time hourly staff not involved in direct patient care, to use 40 hours of PTO or unpaid time any time between April 1 and June 30, 2021. The expectation is that the 40 hours will be in addition to any company designated holidays listed in the Employee Handbook. An employee’s use of unpaid time off will not affect benefit status.

xxx xxxxx
President & CEO

i assume the president & ceo is magnanimously forgoing one week of their salary as well

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Look it, we got used to making record profits during a pandemic, and we can't just go back to the way things were! The CEO has a third yacht to pay for!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Look it, we got used to making record profits during a pandemic, and we can't just go back to the way things were! The CEO has a third yacht to pay for!

We're a non-profit, she's only been CEO a month since our old one died so I don't think she has bought a first yacht yet.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Bob Morales posted:

xxx xxxxx
President & CEO

This does very little to make the company more profitable. This is to take liability off the books for a sale of the business and or to remove payouts that will happen when they lay people off.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

We're a non-profit, she's only been CEO a month since our old one died so I don't think she has bought a first yacht yet.

Ah! She saw the financial records and decided she REALLY wants a new yacht.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
so they will give you 40 hrs free PTO to take or replenish your pto bucket after right

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Sickening posted:

This does very little to make the company more profitable. This is to take liability off the books for a sale of the business and or to remove payouts that will happen when they lay people off.

Right now we have to use 16 hours of PTO per month, it's been this way since last year. That's basically a 10% reduction in payroll. The rumor was that was going to stop after this month.

40 hours for 3 months is 48 hours, I haven't gotten confirmation if this is in addition to what we have been doing already. If the old policy ends, that's 8 hours less we are required to use over the next 3 months.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
do you even gain 16 hours of PTO accrual per month?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sickening posted:

It can make the budget look better because they're paying less salary and instead paying people out of the PTO budget. It's bullshit because it's not like it's free money and it all comes from the same account but companies love to do it anyways.

I was told once that it can also save on insurance because they aren't liable for you when you're not at work but I'm not sure I buy that. It sounds vaguely plausible, but it sounds way too much of a pain in the rear end to actually manage.

Best case they save a few pennies because your workstation is idle for a week.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Bob, start looking for a new job, cuts are coming.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

do you even gain 16 hours of PTO accrual per month?

19.5?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Nonprofits tend to offer a lot of vacation and holidays to make up for low pay.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

chin up everything sucks posted:

Nonprofits tend to offer a lot of vacation and holidays to make up for low pay.

They pad the numbers by including Christmas etc in there

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Rick posted:

This has pretty much ruined my life the last week.
The patch that came out last night seems to solve it, thank gently caress.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
i'm genuinely curious what is going to happen to the rear end that stole a work provisioned laptop to watch hulu on

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
We also got the "please take your PTO to take the liability off our books" talk last week. They were straight forward with it tho that its liability on the books. no bullshitting. Working for an employed owned company is pretty nice. It's all really transparent.

However because I have a chronic illness im literally always burning my loving PTO so instead I just get to dream of ever being above 40hrs banked since every year I have to burn a few weeks of PTO for treatment.

Im not bitter at all. nope.

ghostinmyshell
Sep 17, 2004

I am very particular about biscuits, I'll have you know.

silicone thrills posted:

They pushed some bad update to azure that busted O365 and Auth for a few hours today. No one could use teams meetings. All our ms storage was pinging me every 5 min with a critical error. It was a fairly impressive meltdown.

I feel like we are seeing some residual issues from this. Teams is still acting up and other small related o365 items.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Biowarfare posted:

i'm genuinely curious what is going to happen to the rear end that stole a work provisioned laptop to watch hulu on

:10bux: says they were doing 'work' on one laptop and then they had the streaming laptop right next to it, so they could watch TV shows while they work. That's usually what happens.

I was going to pull up the cameras and see if I could find whoever was using it but they won't do anything anyway. You'd have to get caught banging a patient to get fired right now.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

tactlessbastard posted:

I've had a 6 hour meeting appear on my calendar that starts 2 hours before my usual work day

So this meeting is mandatory training as a result of a third party audit from two years ago that was apparently very contentious, so the tone was already pretty tense when during the discussion of risky behaviors someone brought up face masks and it nearly came to blows :allears:

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

So this meeting is mandatory training as a result of a third party audit from two years ago that was apparently very contentious, so the tone was already pretty tense when during the discussion of risky behaviors someone brought up face masks and it nearly came to blows :allears:

I guarantee people will not be wearing masks properly in the office, nor social distancing, when office working begins partially in June-ish in the UK.

I fully intend to say I will be WFH until there is a 0% chance of any disease.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Steakandchips posted:

I guarantee people will not be wearing masks properly in the office, nor social distancing, when office working begins partially in June-ish in the UK.

I fully intend to say I will be WFH until there is a 0% chance of any disease.

i fuckin love not catching a cold or flu for the first time ever

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
The latest in father-in-law IT support as transcribed from voicemail:

“Hello Agrikk, my videos are down. The green light is on but they are down. I checked and my mouse works. Maybe I need a new video card?”

This stream of consciousness brought to you by FIL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Biowarfare posted:

i fuckin love not catching a cold or flu for the first time ever

Wait till you get cold 2.