Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Reduction in all the aero doodaas at back end of the car, i.e the diffuser

Seems to affect the cars with a lower rake like the merc more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

What’s the deal with Mercedes? I am an idiot and don’t know how cars work, was the car twitchy and slow due to gearbox problems or did they gently caress the aero this year too? I guess it’s not the engine because McLaren seemed fine.

It’s called sandbagging, op

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I'm going to keep my eyes shut whilst the formula 1 is on

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

track day bro! posted:

then you're left with nothing but Croft's screeching garbage. I suggest blocking your ears too

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Phone posted:

It’s called sandbagging, op

why is it every year people fall for it? makes no sense.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I will be watching MotoGP this year now that it is free from British frauds

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

track day bro! posted:

Didn't know David Croft posted here.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's called bacon briefcase. 5 different compounds of tyres on a track with wildly varying conditions in the desert with gusts. Mercedes decided not to do a pre test shakedown like everyone else and paid for it mildly.

It does seem like McLaren and Alpine have made forward progress, which is bad news for the red team.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
what's baffling is the attention paid to max's pace, how relevant is it when he ends up in the wall every third or fourth race?

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

FAUXTON posted:

what's baffling is the attention paid to max's pace, how relevant is it when he ends up in the wall every third or fourth race?

Gives the FIA an indication of how strong to build the walls.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

FAUXTON posted:

New rbr looks quick so he can get there even faster

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Theophany posted:

Gives the FIA an indication of how strong to build the walls.

oh that makes sense, don't want to have to deal with crowdstrike changing their sponsorship halfway through the season

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

We should run a contest where we all guess when Max is going hit the wall first this season

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Slotducks posted:

We should run a contest where we all guess when Max is going hit the wall first this season

Race 3 - 19:24 into the race

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

NtotheTC posted:

then you're left with nothing but Croft's screeching garbage. I suggest blocking your ears too

I'll illegaly stream it on Movistar F1 instead then

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Slotducks posted:

him hitting a wall is inevitable

what we should do is have a contest on what epic linux nitrogen tyre guys excuse will be for him hitting the wall

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Slotducks posted:

sakhir turn 4, he wants a rematch

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

track day bro! posted:

I'll illegaly stream it on Movistar F1 instead then

F1 Is on dazn now

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

What did you do that for?

Honda F1 are totally leaving at the end of the year...

quote:

oyoharu Tanabe
Honda Racing F1

Pre-season testing ended this evening at the Sakhir circuit and over the three days, Scuderia AlphaTauri Honda completed 422 laps and Red Bull Racing Honda did 369, making a total of 791 for the Honda Power Unit, equivalent to 4281 kilometres. This satisfactory mileage means we now have plenty of valuable and relevant data to study to help us prepare for the first race of the season, which takes place on this same track. As with all tests in this early part of the year, there were a few problems on the PU side and the chassis side, but overall, the reliability and general performance level of both cars was good and we got through all our planned programme with both teams. We will now have a busy two weeks, looking at what we have learned and implementing any necessary changes in order to be in the best possible shape for the Bahrain Grand Prix, because we are determined to have a strong start to the season.

I just can't see it. over 4000km in Sakhir during the test. They're looking like a manufacturer on an all-out assault. What sense engineering and marketing-wise does it make to throw in the towel in their moment of triumph? Is this a gambit from a faction in Honda to stay in?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Imagine reading into pre season testing

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

ethanol posted:

Imagine reading into pre season testing

You can tell quite a bit from testing. I would be astonished if Mercedes or Ferrari are suddenly transformed between now and the first race. The former didn't get through their programme, the latter were much harder to evaluate but the car wasn't effortlessly slamming in times either, no that's not their objective but it didn't stop Mercedes in previous years.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

Sulman posted:

I just can't see it. over 4000km in Sakhir during the test. They're looking like a manufacturer on an all-out assault. What sense engineering and marketing-wise does it make to throw in the towel in their moment of triumph? Is this a gambit from a faction in Honda to stay in?

they've repeatedly said their goal is to give red bull the best engine they can before the freeze. my guess is they'll keep the engine honda branded and that's the fig leaf to the sunk costs folks

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Man it’s almost like Honda has a contract to provide engines in F1 for 2021 🤔

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Sulman posted:

Wasn't RBR buying that development unit out of Honda?

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Race 3 - 19:24 into the race

Race 1: 4:20.69s in :mmmsmug:

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

FAUXTON posted:

Wasn't RBR buying that development unit out of Honda?

Absolutely, I'm curious about the extent of the deal (whether they're going to be ostensibly a works effort).

Speaking of testing, Sam Collins' tech breakdowns have been really good. This mentions the theory that Mercedes are fundamentally disadvantaged by the floor regulation change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-H-aZcGYVQ

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
remember in 2019 and 2020 when mercedes were several seconds off of the pace of everyone else during testing (especially 2019 with the lolerrari fuel aliasing) and then whoa lewis hamilton finished 5 minutes ahead of everyone else

this time for reals, mercedes has totally cocked it up, mate

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Phone posted:

remember in 2019 and 2020 when mercedes were several seconds off of the pace of everyone else during testing (especially 2019 with the lolerrari fuel aliasing) and then whoa lewis hamilton finished 5 minutes ahead of everyone else

Repeatedly spinning the car out of corners seems like a lot of risk to try selling the sandbagging, but maybe that's something you can do if you're going for your 9th WDC.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
Bottas did better than Hamilton who couldn't get a single good lap on the 3 days of testing. If they are ok they kayfabed being bad really well

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Especially the fake engine smoke, that was an excellent ruse

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I think the order is;

Mercedes
RBR
McLaren
Aston Martin*
Ferrari/Alpine
Alpha Tauri
Alfa Romeo
Williams
Haas

*I am really unsure about this though. The Ferrari/Alpine cars might be faster.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Frond posted:

I think the order is;

Mercedes
RBR
McLaren
Aston Martin*
Ferrari/Alpine
Alpha Tauri
Alfa Romeo
Williams
Haas

*I am really unsure about this though. The Ferrari/Alpine cars might be faster.

RBR
MERC
Mclaren
Alpha
Ferrari
Alpine
alfa
Aston
williams
hass

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

You know what? The paintjobs all look quite good. This might be the first year in the turbo era one can say that.

I miss the Pink Merc. :smith:

Sulman posted:

Absolutely, I'm curious about the extent of the deal (whether they're going to be ostensibly a works effort).

Speaking of testing, Sam Collins' tech breakdowns have been really good. This mentions the theory that Mercedes are fundamentally disadvantaged by the floor regulation change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-H-aZcGYVQ

RBR should be called Red Bull Racing - Red Bull Racing next year imo.

Zedd fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 15, 2021

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

oops.

Sulman
Apr 29, 2003

Phone posted:

I didn't remember that. I do remember Ferrari's pre-season pace in 2019, but it was still close, like 3/1000s close:

2020, I've no idea what you're referring to.

There are people fond of the cliche that you can't deduce anything from testing (bacon briefcase etc.) That might have been true a few years before so many eyes were on the tests, but it's not true now. We know with fairly high confidence that Red Bull are reliable and fast, and Mercedes...are not quite there. Ferrari I honestly can't say, all that's known is that their engine is improved over last year's. Aside from some good times on the 2nd day, they were very subdued. However Mercedes aren't where they were a year ago, or the year before that.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
ferrari wont have the shitbox engine of last year and they dont have sebastian vettel. they are better than last year on those things alone.

checo said that the operational window of the rbr is narrow but once you get there the car works as intended and it has a good base.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Pre season doesn’t mean poo poo

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Lewis will get in there, and I will be there to watch

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Sulman posted:

There are people fond of the cliche that you can't deduce anything from testing (bacon briefcase etc.) That might have been true a few years before so many eyes were on the tests, but it's not true now.

so are deductions more accurate because more people are watching, or are teams chasing #1 on the test time sheets now when they weren't before for that sweet test clout? both are nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I watched Lewis not shift into 8th he’s playing you for fools