Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I prefer Grand Himbo personally

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Like, Jeepster is still a good name. They have all sorts of other names in the old Nash/AMC/Chrysler umbrella, too. Rambler? Dispatcher? Commando? Scrambler? Drifter?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Strongly leaning towards pulling the trigger on a new GTI. I feel like it's the car I should've bought last time around. And now I can get it in cornflower blue.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
now is the time!

mk8 looks like poo poo

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

prom candy posted:

Strongly leaning towards pulling the trigger on a new GTI. I feel like it's the car I should've bought last time around. And now I can get it in cornflower blue.

God, the VW build site is terrible. Every time I hear cornflower blue I think "It must have been Tuesday. He had on his cornflower blue tie" from Fight club

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care
I think it was in this thread where people were discussing the Buick Regal Tour X estate and who buys them.

My neighbour has one. I live in Finland.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

BloodBag posted:

God, the VW build site is terrible. Every time I hear cornflower blue I think "It must have been Tuesday. He had on his cornflower blue tie" from Fight club

Remember when they removed the build section entirely? This is just them being passive aggressive

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Kivi posted:

I think it was in this thread where people were discussing the Buick Regal Tour X estate and who buys them.

My neighbour has one. I live in Finland.

:psyduck: It's badged as a buick?

Kivi
Aug 1, 2006
I care

Residency Evil posted:

:psyduck: It's badged as a buick?
Nope! Someone bought it in the US and imported it back here when they moved from US to Finland. Has the US tell tale features (different tail gate, markers, the rare plastic body kit that seems rare here) and Buick badging and exterior features.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

BloodBag posted:

its not great but it works...what really stinks is that to get that color blue, you have to choose an SE or Autobahn trim level, which means no plaid seats boooooo

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

BraveUlysses posted:

its not great but it works...what really stinks is that to get that color blue, you have to choose an SE or Autobahn trim level, which means no plaid seats boooooo

I like the plaid seats, my complaint is sunroof required for those trims. I no like.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

prom candy posted:

oh man is the GTI the only hot hatch in the US again

hear the Veloster Kinetic Goodtime Trims (N and... Sport?) are good but I don't think the interior would be near as nice as the GTI

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I like the leather better than the cloth after having owned both, the interior just looks a lot nicer in my opinion. Also seems unpopular, but the sunroof is really nice in the GTI and makes it feel bigger inside even though you have less headroom I guess. Also for what it's worth, unless something has changed, you don't get the full LED adaptive headlights or push to start unless you get the SE, two things I think are kind of a big deal. Also not sure if they have DCC anymore, but my SE came with it as an extra package and it does make a big difference in the ride quality.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Monkey Fracas posted:

oh man is the GTI the only hot hatch in the US again

hear the Veloster Kinetic Goodtime Trims (N and... Sport?) are good but I don't think the interior would be near as nice as the GTI

The Veloster N is the new Focus ST, so no the GTI isn't the only hot batch.

Seems like the VN's performance is better but the GTI will be more liveable.

No heated seats in the US is a total deal breaker for me :shrug:

Edit - They're still selling the Civic Type R too aren't they? I hardly think that thing is a hatchback but everyone keeps calling out one

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Mar 15, 2021

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, Velostor N is very bare.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

The Veloster N is the new Focus ST, so no the GTI isn't the only hot batch.

Seems like the VN's performance is better but the GTI will be more liveable.

No heated seats in the US is a total deal breaker for me :shrug:

Edit - They're still selling the Civic Type R too aren't they? I hardly think that thing is a hatchback but everyone keeps calling out one

I guess the Civic has a liftgate so it's vaguely hatch-ey

Si was good last time I checked as well

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea it's much more of a liftback IMO than a hatchback. Like nobody calls the 370Z or an A7 a hatchback.

Also this is 3 years old but somehow I never heard of it. Just found it now while looking at images of the CTR and thought it needed to be shared - https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/a20895771/honda-just-made-a-civic-type-r-pickup-truck/

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Sab669 posted:

Yea it's much more of a liftback IMO than a hatchback. Like nobody calls the 370Z or an A7 a hatchback.

Every single SUV is a hatchback but no one calls them a hatchback.

Americans love hatchbacks just so long as they are tall hatchbacks and not short hatchbacks and you don't call them a hatchback.

Considering that many crossovers roofline is only 4 or 5 inches taller than a GTI's it seems pretty silly.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
The Veloster N was so good it underwent an extremely healthy $5,000 price bump in the US. It has some more equipment but the vast majority of that is sweet, sweet margin. It starts at like 32,9 now.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

They added all the safety stuff, but still no heated seats which is just bonkers.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

They rolled the ~$2K Performance Pack into the base model, plus as bull said some safety stuff. But yea if you don't care about the safety features it definitely feels like nothing but a price hike.

I've probably bitched about it ITT before but that the Canadian spec has heated seats standard but it's not even an option here is dumb as hell.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I was pretty much sold on it last year and just waiting for the 21 update but the extra price and yeah, no heated seats, was just enough to turn me off and keep looking.

That warranty is loving sweet though, every other manufacturer is disappointing after seeing what you get with Hyundai.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico
The Mazda3 turbo seems pretty attractive as a fun hatch, I'm looking to test drive one when I'm fully vaccinated.

Most of the reviews I see are complaining about how it has an auto and how comfortable the ride is, which is only making me more interested.

norton I fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Mar 15, 2021

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

norton I posted:

The Mazda3 turbo is looking pretty attractive as a fun hatch, I'm looking to test drive one when I'm fully vaccinated.

Most of the reviews I see are complaining about how it has an auto and how comfortable the ride is, which is only making me more interested.
Reviewers complain about the transmission because in the competition you get a DCT or a manual option, while Mazda is using an old 6 speed torque converter. Still seems like a cool car though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

norton I posted:

The Mazda3 turbo seems pretty attractive as a fun hatch, I'm looking to test drive one when I'm fully vaccinated.

The reviews I watched, I don't think anyone described it as "fun". They were all very positive on it, but if you're looking for a slightly bigger GTI I'm not sure that's it.

It looks nice, the interior is nice, it has passing power, but it just wasn't designed "for spirited driving" and that shows if you start to push it IIRC.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Sab669 posted:

The reviews I watched, I don't think anyone described it as "fun". They were all very positive on it, but if you're looking for a slightly bigger GTI I'm not sure that's it.

It looks nice, the interior is nice, it has passing power, but it just wasn't designed "for spirited driving" and that shows if you start to push it IIRC.

To be fair, owning an RS colors your impression of what "spirited driving" entails.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm just going by what I've seen on various youtube channels reported. I haven't driven one myself.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Monkey Fracas posted:

Si was good last time I checked as well

I'm in a '17 Si right now, it is good at what it does but it turns out what it does isn't quite what I want. The GTI is attractive to me because it's a lot nicer on the inside and a bit of a softer/quieter ride while still being economy-fast. Passenger comfort in the Si is also pretty bad. It's a lot of fun to drive but as a DD/highway car it's lacking. I also really want a hatchback. I've looked at everything in the class. Veloster N too stripped down and the 3 door thing is weird, Civic Type R too gaudy/stripped down/expensive/lol at rolling on 20s in southern ontario, Mazda 3 just doesn't do anything for me.

norton I
May 1, 2008

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Norton I

Emperor of these United States

Protector of Mexico

prom candy posted:

Veloster N too stripped down and the 3 door thing is weird

The veloster is tiny and weird, but I always loved the idea of the little extra 3rd door. You're not fitting adult passengers back there for too long, but you can toss a dog or backpack in the rear without moving a seat.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

norton I posted:

The veloster is tiny and weird, but I always loved the idea of the little extra 3rd door. You're not fitting adult passengers back there for too long, but you can toss a dog or backpack in the rear without moving a seat.

I'm charmed by it- reminds me of the weird rear doors on the RX-8

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

prom candy posted:

I'm in a '17 Si right now, it is good at what it does but it turns out what it does isn't quite what I want. The GTI is attractive to me because it's a lot nicer on the inside and a bit of a softer/quieter ride while still being economy-fast. Passenger comfort in the Si is also pretty bad. It's a lot of fun to drive but as a DD/highway car it's lacking. I also really want a hatchback. I've looked at everything in the class. Veloster N too stripped down and the 3 door thing is weird, Civic Type R too gaudy/stripped down/expensive/lol at rolling on 20s in southern ontario, Mazda 3 just doesn't do anything for me.

I went from a 17 GTI to an 18 Si, at this point I don't really know what I want out of a car but I'm pretty much over the Si at this point. I barely drive as it is, 6900 miles in just under 3 years of ownership. Maybe I should just get a bicycle.

I wish they'd just sell the GR Yaris here, damnit.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Coolnezzz posted:

Closest we get in the US is the Fiesta ST

aaaand it's gone lol

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

Monkey Fracas posted:

Closest we get in the US is the Fiesta ST

aaaand it's gone lol

Had a '14, I regret trading it in, it was my favorite car and I miss it so much. My 2001 Miata was a close second. I've considered getting another...

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Coolnezzz posted:

I went from a 17 GTI to an 18 Si, at this point I don't really know what I want out of a car but I'm pretty much over the Si at this point. I barely drive as it is, 6900 miles in just under 3 years of ownership. Maybe I should just get a bicycle.

What made you go from the GTI to the Si?

Coolnezzz posted:

Had a '14, I regret trading it in, it was my favorite car and I miss it so much. My 2001 Miata was a close second. I've considered getting another...

Those were very cool

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

prom candy posted:

What made you go from the GTI to the Si?

Automotive ADD, I had a used Audi S3 in between the two for about 6 months. Initially I really wanted a Golf R and should have just gone from the FiST to that, I'd probably still have it if I gone to an R in the first place instead of the GTI but couldn't justify the cost at the time. Hated the steering numbness of the S3, it was a really floaty car even with stiffer after-market springs IMO, the Si has a far better "connectedness" to the road, it just feels more planted and I can feel the road more, and I wanted another manual so I traded the S3 for the Si. It's a nice car, but I've got a huge turbo on it now and while it's a lot of fun I think I'm just over it, it's nothing like the Civics of old. Was hoping it'd be more like the 91 Si I had but no cars will ever be like that again.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one with grass-is-greener syndrome at least. Maybe you want a motorcycle?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~

prom candy posted:

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one with grass-is-greener syndrome at least. Maybe you want a motorcycle?

Yeah I've also had automotive ADHD for like 18 years now. Motorcycle is like, a way more pure experience for me but I still drive a car to work every day and need it for other things and I hate appliance vehicles. Like Coolnezzz the most fun I've ever had with a car was the Fiesta. I have a GTI now because I also end up going back to hatches after trying something else. I'm thinking of moving to a Golf R with the mk8 coming. But I have had all kind of sport coupes and hatches with both low and high power and nothing ever really scratches the itch.

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

Sab669 posted:

It’s a great car but Mazda is trying to keep away the Monster Energy demographic it drew with the the last MS3.

Mazda’s are dead reliable, very comfortable and generally nice places to pass time. That engine is perfect.

If they gave it a 6 speed it’d be the default choice of anyone in the market.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Mazda's six-speed automatic is a very, very good automatic.

If for some reason the 2022 BRZ has a fatal flaw, I will probably replace my '14 Mazda 3 with a Veloster N instead. The N interior is pretty dismal though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Rusty posted:

Reviewers complain about the transmission because in the competition you get a DCT or a manual option, while Mazda is using an old 6 speed torque converter. Still seems like a cool car though.

After my experience with DCTs I'll gladly have a slushbox auto, thanks. Traffic in Houston sucks, so that means manuals are just a chore. Strongly considering listing my 95 miata on facebook marketplace just to be done with that loud rear end car. I don't even enjoy it anymore.