Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Someone went fuckin' nuts on me yesterday and considering he was bellowing "ARE YOU SCARED?" at me, I assume it was mask-related. (I wouldn't open my car for an employee who was wearing a mask incorrectly and asked to load my own things. I was ignored and the employee had this loving nutcase beat on my car and try to rip it open, even going so far as leaving a knuckle-shaped dimple in one door). He was maskless, of course.

If you're in a car and feeling threatened the law looks very kindly on running ppl over lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Wife & I got rear ended in traffic over the weekend. The other driver had his mask on during the whole info exchange but then the state cop showed up and didn't even attempt it. Not down around his neck or anything, just no mask at all.

This was in Connecticut, and police aren't included in the first responders group to get the vaccine, and he looked way too young to age into it. Good to know the guy sticking his head into random people's cars all day won't take the barest of precautions :thumbsup:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Platystemon posted:

You’re worrying about this too much.

Sit in the clinic for the fifteen or thirty minutes of observation. The observation period exists in case you have a rare, immediate, and serious allergic reaction. If you pass that, you’re can go home and you might get a sore arm and flu‐like symptoms later in the day.

I live alone, am solely responsible for the farm, and I am definitely overthinking it; I'm just worried about not being able to get up to feed my old lady :unsmith: but this is very helpful.

SchnorkIes posted:

If you're in a car and feeling threatened the law looks very kindly on running ppl over lol

he ran around the back of my car very fast and the only person back there was the employee but if he'd have pulled a weapon, whoops, guess you're a pancake now lady.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

If you can get vaccinated, do it. The faster the population can get the shot, the better.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Yeah my wife has been eligible for 2 weeks now and there's no openings or even hint of openings for the remainder of the month, I wish she had thr option.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

My boss today: No, I was really careful at the super spreader event I attended last weekend where everyone in the neighborhood got sick
Also my boss today: *gross cough* drat allergies!

I wonder how much resistance the pfizer vaccine confers at 1.5 weeks from the first shot

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

poverty goat posted:

My boss today: No, I was really careful at the super spreader event I attended last weekend where everyone in the neighborhood got sick
Also my boss today: *gross cough* drat allergies!

I wonder how much resistance the pfizer vaccine confers at 1.5 weeks from the first shot

If it were like four days later you’d be in a much better position.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Someone went fuckin' nuts on me yesterday and considering he was bellowing "ARE YOU SCARED?" at me, I assume it was mask-related. (I wouldn't open my car for an employee who was wearing a mask incorrectly and asked to load my own things. I was ignored and the employee had this loving nutcase beat on my car and try to rip it open, even going so far as leaving a knuckle-shaped dimple in one door). He was maskless, of course.

I am probably getting jabbed on the 22nd or the 23rd, and will likely rope getting my brakes done at the same time so I can be out and about among people for a few hours (and not driving) just in case of a bad reaction. I'm getting Moderna. does that seem reasonable to folks?

Sounds like someone should be reported to their boss.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

poverty goat posted:

A little over 50% based on the article I linked up thread. That rises to 92% by the end of the third week.

Just got my pfizer shot 45 minutes ago. I had ringing in the ears about ten minutes after, which is apparently a known if uncommon side effect.

For those of you who are debating whether it is appropriate to get the vaccine when there are more vulnerable people still waiting, please remember that your vaccination helps everyone. If you can get it, do it.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Someone (correctly) said “coronavirus has been the middle classes working from home while the poor bring them stuff”, at some point the number of people you come in contact with on your commute/delivery round/factory shift and also the type of people; the old, the sick and so on outweighs other factors like your own age and fitness. So yeh if you are a healthy 25 year old working from home then it’s best to wait your turn, but if you are also the only one doing your grandma’s shopping and cooking then hunting down a vaccine is the exact right thing to do.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Castaign posted:

A little over 50% based on the article I linked up thread. That rises to 92% by the end of the third week.

Just got my pfizer shot 45 minutes ago. I had ringing in the ears about ten minutes after, which is apparently a known if uncommon side effect.

For those of you who are debating whether it is appropriate to get the vaccine when there are more vulnerable people still waiting, please remember that your vaccination helps everyone. If you can get it, do it.

This post?

Castaign posted:

https://www.infectiousdiseaseadviso...%20to%2060.6%25).

Significant protection after the first dose.

That's a bit of a dangerous oversimplification.

quote:

A single standard dose of the vaccine was shown to maintain 76% efficacy (95% CI, 59.3-85.9%) against primary symptomatic COVID-19 in the first 3 months after vaccination. However, it does not protect against asymptomatic infection over the same time period (vaccine efficacy, -17.2%; 95% CI, -248.6 to 60.6%). A single dose did exhibit protection against any nucleic acid amplification test-positive infection from 22 to 90 days.

"50% protection between 2 and 6 weeks with 'significant' protection for you after 22 days from the first dose, with some possible reduction in asymptomatic retransmission."

Even after getting vaccinated you should consider yourself able to asymptomatically transmit. The hope is a reduction of retransmission but probably not elimination.

The period of immunity is also only 3 months after the beginning of the protection window. Further studies will probably extend that too.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hobo Clown posted:

Wife & I got rear ended in traffic over the weekend. The other driver had his mask on during the whole info exchange but then the state cop showed up and didn't even attempt it. Not down around his neck or anything, just no mask at all.

Cops must be loving ecstatic to find a new way of killing people where they won't get even the slightest reprimand.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Finally managed to jump the queue in a legit way, and in a way that's giving me a teeny tiny amount of optimism.

In the UK one of the things the government did in the early days while thrashing around trying to look like they were doing *something* (without hurting the old bottom line of course) was encourage people to sign up for the Royal Voluntary Service to do stuff like shopping for people shielding or isolating, deliver prescriptions and oximeters to the elderly and vulnerable, and also just ring people up for a chat if they were isolating alone. What they're now doing is asking RVS volunteers to do stewarding at the temporary vaccination centres as they open up - I signed up for it as soon as they offered it, figuring if I was in the area and there were any spare doses one might happen to find its way into my arm. Unfortunately they then went and announced that yes, you'd get jabbed if you did stewarding, and so every single slot filled up as soon as it was opened (alas no fun and games with browser scripting as it's all organised through an app).

This morning at bang on 0900 I opened the app and just scrolled to the bottom of the list and hit accept, managing to get the very last slot available in the literally hundreds opened up this morning. Unfortunately it means I have to be in Croydon at 7am, something that this time last year I'd have literally paid huge amounts of money to avoid, but that's where I am now.

Anyway the reason for the optimism is that like I say, hundreds of new slots have opened up because they're massively expanding the amount of sites available (the delay has apparently been in training up loads more people to do the actual jabs) - I'm still confident we'll manage to gently caress it up somehow, but I have to grudgingly admit we've got way further into things without it all going pear-shaped than I'd expected at the beginning of the year.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Following up on the saga, my girlfriend just got a call from the person who she had informed she tested positive on Saturday even after getting fired, and he was sort of threatening her to send an email lying about not sending him the results because he was being scrutinized as the other excolleagues who she had close contact with were -still- working from the office and had not been informed they were at risk.

gently caress this country, gently caress humanity and gently caress this world.

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020

Hobo Clown posted:

This was in Connecticut, and police aren't included in the first responders group to get the vaccine, and he looked way too young to age into it. Good to know the guy sticking his head into random people's cars all day won't take the barest of precautions :thumbsup:

Like 75% of cops I've seen in the past year haven't worn a mask at all. And I've mostly seen them talking to other folks in close proximity. I'm guessing most cops are chuds so that probably explains it.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

FiskTireBoy posted:

Like 75% of cops I've seen in the past year haven't worn a mask at all. And I've mostly seen them talking to other folks in close proximity. I'm guessing most cops are chuds so that probably explains it.

I work in the same building as police headquarters for my city. We've had mandatory masking since May and you get one guess which department has been the worst about masking up and also happens to have one of the highest positive test rates. I get to share elevators with these people every day.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

FiskTireBoy posted:

They might also have already had Covid sometime last year, or whatever. We don't gotta speculate.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Hobo Clown posted:

Cops are some of the first people to have gotten vaccinated in California. Most of them were on their second injection before Valentine's Day. Connecticut has hosed up priorities if they're not making sure the people most likely to be superspreaders are vaccinated.

John_A_Tallon fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Mar 15, 2021

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

They might also have already had Covid sometime last year, or whatever. We don't gotta speculate.

Having already had covid doesn't mean you get to stop mask wearing and this has been established since the beginning of the pandemic. ACAB.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

John_A_Tallon posted:

Cops are some of the first people to have gotten vaccinated in California. Most of them were on their second injection before Valentine's Day. Connecticut has hosed up priorities if they're not making sure the people most likely to be superspreaders are vaccinated.

It's possible they are included under "medical first responders" but the website's graphic just shows EMTs & firefighters so I'm not sure. Couldn't find a definitive answer either way.

Connecticut is basically doctors -> first responders -> rest home tenants -> educators/child care -> everyone else sorted by age group, oldest first. I can't even ask to book an appointment until April 12th.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Blitter posted:

That's a bit of a dangerous oversimplification.

"50% protection between 2 and 6 weeks with 'significant' protection for you after 22 days from the first dose, with some possible reduction in asymptomatic retransmission."

You're quoting the part of the article discussing the AstraZeneca results. I was answering a question regarding Pfizer. From the same article:

In the original study, conducted by Polack et al, efficacy after the first dose was calculated to be 52.4% and collected during the first 2 weeks after injection, when “immunity would have still been mounting.”

Their analysis concludes that prior to the second dose, BNT162b2 has an efficacy of 92.6%.

Dr Skowronski and Dr De Serres go on to recommend that “With such a highly protective first dose, the benefits derived from a scarce supply of vaccine could be maximized by deferring second doses until all priority group members are offered at least one dose.”

I admit that this is not my area of expertise, and I might be misreading, but to me that sounds like the Pfizer vaccine is a little over 50% effective within two weeks of the first dose, and that that rises to 92% by the end of the third week. Am I missing something here Blitter?

Blitter posted:

Even after getting vaccinated you should consider yourself able to asymptomatically transmit. The hope is a reduction of retransmission but probably not elimination.

The period of immunity is also only 3 months after the beginning of the protection window. Further studies will probably extend that too.

I'm not sure if this was intended as a response to me or not, but I was answering a pretty specific question about the level of protection provided by the Pfizer vaccine at 1.5 weeks, not about whether asymptomatic transmission was possible, nor about how long immunity would last. If that was just some extra information for everyone though, then thanks.

Since it got brought up, there does seem to be a growing body of evidence that the vaccines do prevent asymptomatic spread:

https://www.deseret.com/u-s-world/2021/3/14/22327524/pfizer-vaccine-asymptomatic-transmission-data
https://www.businessinsider.co.za/vaccines-reduce-coronavirus-transmission-early-research-2021-2-2
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/03/12/pfizer-covid-vaccine-works-against-asymptomatic-spread-data-suggests/4645698001/
https://www.advisory.com/daily-briefing/2021/03/04/vaccine-transmission
https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/real-world-evidence-confirms-high-effectiveness-pfizer

None of the above is intended to encourage people to stop being careful; even after being fully vaccinated, everyone should continue to practice risk mitigation, mask wearing and social distancing until there is conclusive information on post-vaccine asymptomatic spread and immunity duration. However, most of the research I'm currently seeing seems to provide hope that the vaccines will indeed reduce asymptomatic transmission. Things seem to be looking a little better for the first time in quite a while.

Also, check me on this, but

Blitter posted:

isn't this just because relatively widespread vaccination has only been ongoing for around three months? That's an honest question, not me being snarky. Are there any studies from the earlier trials that shed any light on duration of immunity (even if not conclusively)?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Blitter posted:

Castaign posted:

isn't this just because relatively widespread vaccination has only been ongoing for around three months? That's an honest question, not me being snarky. Are there any studies from the earlier trials that shed any light on duration of immunity (even if not conclusively)?

Not too long ago the CDC's guidelines were:

quote:

Fully vaccinated people don’t need to quarantine after COVID-19 exposure. That’s the new guidance from the Centers for Disease Control. But, if it’s been longer than three months since your last shot, you’ll still have to quarantine if you’ve been exposed.
Source: https://www.wbrc.com/2021/02/12/how-long-is-cdc-estimating-covid-vaccine-protection-will-last/

..... but they've recently changed that to

quote:

If you’ve been fully vaccinated:

If you’ve been around someone who has COVID-19, you do not need to stay away from others or get tested unless you have symptoms.

However, if you live in a group setting (like a correctional or detention facility or group home) and are around someone who has COVID-19, you should still stay away from others for 14 days and get tested, even if you don’t have symptoms.
With the caveat:

quote:

We’re still learning how long COVID-19 vaccines can protect people.
As we know more, CDC will continue to update our recommendations for both vaccinated and unvaccinated people.
Source: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated.html

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

CDC's guidelines

Interesting. I note that the CDC states that fully vaccinated people "should still avoid medium or large-sized gatherings." They've got a lot of info on events and gatherings listed here: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/large-events/considerations-for-events-gatherings.html, but I'm not finding a definition of what they consider a "medium" or "large" size of gathering.

I mean, it doesn't especially matter (I wasn't planning on hosting any raves any time soon), but it seems like the sort of thing that should be well-defined within their recommendations.

FiskTireBoy
Nov 2, 2020

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Lol that's a hilariously bad reason to not wear a mask

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Castaign posted:

I mean, it doesn't especially matter (I wasn't planning on hosting any raves any time soon), but it seems like the sort of thing that should be well-defined within their recommendations.

They haven't had a great record on timely / unambiguous / consistent messaging so far, it's real frustrating.

But it's not like anyone has been sticking all that close to their recommendation anyway, just look at how many schools have been opening up compared to how many counties actually meet the CDC's criteria for opening up:
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/map-which-counties-are-ready-schools-fully-open-n1258397
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/03/02/us/covid-schools-reopen-cdc.html

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Here in WA I'm stuck waiting for phases to progress. I've been resigned to the fact that I won't be eligible until everyone else is too and then it's going to be a mad scramble for appointments and sometime by June I imagine I can get a jab. My immunocompromised, asthmatic, type 1 diabetic girlfriend with high blood pressure isn't even eligible for a shot yet and the entirety of my focus since the pandemic started has been to keep her safe, healthy, and alive. I've been doing all the in-person shopping, I got us PPE, we haven't seen family or friends, we haven't been into a restaurant since March 9 of 2020 (my birthday! happy 30th, fucker, have a pandemic), but I'm just exhaustedly terrified that right when the finish line is in sight and safety is within reach, one of us will somehow catch it and everything will have been for nothing. If she dies because of this virus, knowing that I would have been the one to bring it home, I'm not sure how I would be able to live with myself afterwards.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Is that how it is where you are? If someone has already had covid, they are exempt from the mask mandate?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

HoAssHo posted:

Is that how it is where you are? If someone has already had covid, they are exempt from the mask mandate?

Anecdotally, I've also heard from several people that their dumb relatives are refusing to take the vaccine because they already caught coronavirus or because they have a "really strong" immune system.

HoAssHo
Mar 10, 2005

:love::love::love:

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Anecdotally, I've also heard from several people that their dumb relatives are refusing to take the vaccine because they already caught coronavirus or because they have a "really strong" immune system.

yeah, also a bunch of people who are absolutely sure they had covid last year despite never being tested

HoAssHo fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Mar 15, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
DeSantis has waived covid fines again, hmmmmmmmmmm I wonder what kind of message this us going to send to people

https://twitter.com/SkylerSwisher/status/1371554695261609996

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I feel pretty lucky. In Utah anyone 16 or older with a goon body can sign up now.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Dear Watson posted:

I feel pretty lucky. In Utah anyone 16 or older with a goon body can sign up now.

Gooncon 2021: no beer. Only buttstuff

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
what happens if you get three shots

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I had covid a year ago, was one of the first U.K. cases because my daughter is in the same class as some girl who went skiing in Italy and passed it round. I caught it again 6 months later from a pissy disabled toilet, and doctors took bloods after that because it was an indicator that we may need repeated vaccinations. Got my vaccination on Friday and it kicked my arse because I didn’t have anti-bodies. *after having covid twice*

Wear your drat masks.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Head Bee Guy posted:

you end up looking like your avatar.

I'm getting at least four because I wanna go fast

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Head Bee Guy posted:

A few elderly people here in Australia got quadruple-strength shots because the doctor hosed up and the nurse didn't notice the first few times and the government's medical advisors went "Eh, she'll be right :thumbsup:"

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
Genomic testing has confirmed that the NSW security guard probably contracted covid from a traveller with the UK strain but no-one has any idea how as CCTV shows that the room in which the traveller was staying didn't open its door during the guard's shift and the guard was never closer than 1.5 metres to the room.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-14/nsw-records-one-new-covid-19-case-in-hotel-quarantine-worker/13246856

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

FiskTireBoy posted:

Lol that's a hilariously bad reason to not wear a mask

I know, but I'm saying, we don't gotta speculate on why macho idiots chose not to mask up this particular day. Historical behavior is a good predictor of future behavior, so if they are careless today, they are pretty likely to have gotten covid in the past.

HoAssHo posted:

Lol what mask mandate?

(And if there was one, of course not, the public couldn't possibly know who has been infected and who hasn't. Just like with the vaccine. The only sensible public guideline is for everyone to treat everyone else as if they were infected.)

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Lolie posted:

Genomic testing has confirmed that the NSW security guard probably contracted covid from a traveller with the UK strain but no-one has any idea how as CCTV shows that the room in which the traveller was staying didn't open its door during the guard's shift and the guard was never closer than 1.5 metres to the room.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-14/nsw-records-one-new-covid-19-case-in-hotel-quarantine-worker/13246856

Well that's a bit worrying then, especially as the guard had had his first shot of vaccine 10 days earlier too and should have had at least some immunity starting to build in his body.

e: he'd only been vaxxed 4 or 5 days before exposure, so he likely hadn't built much immunity at all.

Helith fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Mar 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Helith posted:

e: he'd only been vaxxed 4 or 5 days before exposure, so he likely hadn't built much immunity at all.

Yeah, he was vaccinated on 2nd and they think he acquired it overnight on 6/7.

The possibility that some people won't develop antibodies must also be considered. I've been fully vaccinated against hep B multiple times and never produced antibodies.