Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Zuul the Cat posted:

I never get tired of seeing your amazing Ultramarines. How big is your collection at this point?

Thanks man! It's not insignificant, definitely running out of shelf space!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Are there companies in the green stuff roller game besides GSW? The first few pages of search results are all links to GSW or people talking about GSW rollers.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Search Etsy for "textured rollers"

Edit: if you have access to a 3D printer there are lots of files for rollers available online as well

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
3d printer model sites also host rollers and usually services where they'll print and mail to you.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Iron Warriors update:

My project to replace the legs on my Leviathan with Dunecrawler legs failed (size is off, arms don't sit right), so I slammed both my dreads together to start getting some progress made. Aside from a basic zenithal highlight I did the hazard striping and chipping and threw some Vallejo liquid silver on parts of them.
I'm still trying tying figure out the remainder of the paint schemes though. Also trying to figure out what bits to add (and where) to give them more life. I have chain and barbed wire, I just need to work it in. I'd like to create loinclothes (or whatever they're called) to kind of thicken them up a bit visually in the legs. Maybe I can add some guitar strings somewhere as well?

Here's a WIP with my crappy cell:

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 22, 2022

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Finally managed to get some swing lamps from Ikea for the home studio.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I’ve seen a few videos recently where the painter is advocating using tamiya lacquer thinner for spraying the regular non lacquer tamiya acrylics. The justification being that this makes them “more durable”.

Is this actually a thing or is it another bit of scale modeller wisdom like insisting on thinning with windex or varnishing with floor polish?

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Mr Teatime posted:

I’ve seen a few videos recently where the painter is advocating using tamiya lacquer thinner for spraying the regular non lacquer tamiya acrylics. The justification being that this makes them “more durable”.

Is this actually a thing or is it another bit of scale modeller wisdom like insisting on thinning with windex or varnishing with floor polish?

Tamiya "acrylics" have a hybrid lacquer base, as opposed to almost other acrylics having a water base. This is more common in model paints produced in asia, where acrylics don't necessarily have a water base, as they almost always do in european and north american model paints. AK Interactive has recently produced a line of lacquer-based acrylics to compete with Tamiya, and they're one of the first companies outside of asia to do so.

Tamiya itself makes an "acrylic" thinner for their paints, but in truth their "lacquer" thinner is superior and gives better results. Any other lacquer thinner, like the ever popular Mr Leveling Thinner, works very well with Tamiya paints as well.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Last weekend I got my Malifaux Toni Ironsides M&SU keyword models done

Toni herself

Mouse

The Captain. I'm honestly not sure if he's supposed to have an eyepatch or a monocle, I made a call.

And Joshua Fitzsimmons. I dont do much freehand, ever, so the sign came out... Well, its supposed to look hand painted, thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Bonus Crew shot with Howard Langston who also works that keyword and I painted a couple of weeks ago.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Decided to get bases for both my Dreadnoughts going. Both are going to be 90mm.

1st one Before:

1st one 15 minutes later:

I only came up with a plan for one base so I'm trying to figure out what to do with the other :ohdear:

The Demilich fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 22, 2022

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Do you have any old vehicles/vehicle parts lying around? I took a hacksaw to an old land raider and am using the front corner of the tread on a Redemptor base. I posed the Dreadnought so it's stepping imposingly on the wreckage. That could be a neat option that's a bit different to your first base.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

My first 28mm painting :toot:

(The rest of the unit is waiting for me to decide if I want to figure out faces or just throw a bunch of wash on it)

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Finished an Elf this weekend. :toot:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Alright ladies and gentlemen I'm gonna try wet blending again, this time with retarder medium

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Phi230 posted:

Alright ladies and gentlemen I'm gonna try wet blending again, this time with retarder medium

Funny you mention that, I just gave this a shot and now I feel that I'm getting the hang of blending

This was just done with using feathering to glaze in colors. Much easier than wet blending but took a decent amount of time because it's all just a lot of thin layers

Edit: I went for broke and tried some more, not as scary once I got the feel for it

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Mar 14, 2021

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Funny you mention that, I just gave this a shot and now I feel that I'm getting the hang of blending

This was just done with using feathering to glaze in colors. Much easier than wet blending but took a decent amount of time because it's all just a lot of thin layers

You nailed it, the water looks terrific!

tofuwizard
Feb 22, 2013
I'm thinking of getting back into miniature painting, basically starting from scratch, and buying a citadel starter paint set for convenience.

I had an old citadel paint set with the hexagon screw caps and I remember that sometimes the lid wouldn't screw in very good and the paint would dry pretty quickly.

I've heard that the new (fliptop?) jars are worse at closing and not drying out, and I'm planning on painting on the weekends, probably not everyday. Are there any tips for storing the paint to make sure it lasts?

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

tofuwizard posted:

I'm thinking of getting back into miniature painting, basically starting from scratch, and buying a citadel starter paint set for convenience.

I had an old citadel paint set with the hexagon screw caps and I remember that sometimes the lid wouldn't screw in very good and the paint would dry pretty quickly.

I've heard that the new (fliptop?) jars are worse at closing and not drying out, and I'm planning on painting on the weekends, probably not everyday. Are there any tips for storing the paint to make sure it lasts?

I honestly think you’ll be fine, just make sure they’re closed and if they get gunked up just use a toothpick to get the dried paint out of the cap.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

tofuwizard posted:

Yeah, if you make sure the pot is properly closed (and doesnt just look closed...) and have something to clear out the seal you should be fine. Some people do stuff like decant them into dropper bottles, but honestly thats a lot of hassle for something you arent going to be using every day. I've heard those hexagonal screw caps were a real horror show, and the new ones arent as bad as that.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

I tried painting mediterranean skin. It looks... so bad.
You ever paint something so bad it actually looks kind of racist?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Done did a Primaris Apothecary for my budding Deathwatch army mans.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
god drat dude

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

That holster detail work is just excellent.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
This year I started a new project, and took a couple snaps over the weekend of what I've finished so far;

A Spirit Seer

and some ghosty boys.

Yeast fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 15, 2021

tofuwizard
Feb 22, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

I honestly think you’ll be fine, just make sure they’re closed and if they get gunked up just use a toothpick to get the dried paint out of the cap.

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, if you make sure the pot is properly closed (and doesnt just look closed...) and have something to clear out the seal you should be fine. Some people do stuff like decant them into dropper bottles, but honestly thats a lot of hassle for something you arent going to be using every day. I've heard those hexagonal screw caps were a real horror show, and the new ones arent as bad as that.

Cool. Sounds like just doing the basic steps of making sure the cap and rim parts are all clean and shut all the way should be good enough (at least for me).

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Doing a cheeky cross post:

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Painting some of the emperors finest...

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Amazing

Placentaur
Jan 17, 2009

I painted my first mini in like 15 years! I feel pretty good about it especially considering I don't have any washes and only have like the vallejo starter set (which is really great by the way). If anyone has any critique I would love it, even though i'm pretty sure it's gonna be "paint 100 more mans" since it's hard to actually give a beginner critique.

However the paint is super fragile? like I figure the primer they use isn't any good, but I can wipe off paint super easy so I want to varnish it.

Does anyone have any favorite rattlecan gloss varnishes (I don't have an airbrush/I'm in the US). Or should I be brushing on my gloss varnishes? I have the tamiya clear coat in a can but I figure I should just do the standard gloss -> matte advice until I know what I'm doing.

Placentaur fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 15, 2021

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Placentaur posted:

I painted my first mini in like 15 years! I feel pretty good about it especially considering I don't have any washes and only have like the vallejo starter set (which is really great by the way). If anyone has any critique I would love it, even though i'm pretty sure it's gonna be "paint 100 more mans" since it's hard to actually give a beginner critique.

However the paint is super fragile? like I figure the primer they use isn't any good, but I can wipe off paint super easy so I want to varnish it.

Does anyone have any favorite rattlecan gloss varnishes (I don't have an airbrush/I'm in the US). Or should I be brushing on my gloss varnishes? I have the tamiya clear coat in a can but I figure I should just do the standard gloss -> matte advice until I know what I'm doing.

According to Goobertown's "Funyons, Monopoly board, and clothes dryer" test, matte and gloss protect about the same as long as they're sprayed on.

https://youtu.be/1hRYhns1h3Q

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Is there a non GW alternative to GW's Black Templar contrast paint? I want do do a faded black Orruk armor and so I need that paint to put over some steel armor paint (the result looks very much like what I want). But because of reasons it's a hassle for me to get GW paints, Vallejo is much easier.

Or is there maybe a good recipe to make it? I have flow improver, thinner, black ink and everything but I'm not sure what the result or ratios should be.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Furism posted:

Is there a non GW alternative to GW's Black Templar contrast paint? I want do do a faded black Orruk armor and so I need that paint to put over some steel armor paint (the result looks very much like what I want). But because of reasons it's a hassle for me to get GW paints, Vallejo is much easier.

Or is there maybe a good recipe to make it? I have flow improver, thinner, black ink and everything but I'm not sure what the result or ratios should be.

There is no clear recipe for making things like washes or contrast paints, you'll just have to experiment until you find something that works for you. You can check out this video by Goobertown hobbies on how to make some contrast analogues https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VU0rc0EOOys

Fundamentally, contrast paints work similarly to transparent washes but with a higher concentration of pigment. I've heard them referred to as transparent inks if that makes sense.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Verisimilidude posted:

Fundamentally, contrast paints work similarly to transparent washes but with a higher concentration of pigment. I've heard them referred to as transparent inks if that makes sense.

Sure, but it feels like the consistency is a also one of the big differentiator isn't it? It seems they are somehow thicker than inks but still very... "flowy", for a lack of better term.

Will definitely check out the video you linked though, and just play with extra bits I have, thanks!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

in my experience contrast paints are much easier to brush on than inks - i find the latter really hard to paint with and get a nice smooth coverage but contrasts not so much

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Took about three weeks but finally finished this Venerable Dreadnought.

also wrapped this Chaplain last month

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
So what paint line do you all like to put through your airbrushes? I have some older vallejos dropper bottles that worked ~ok~, some citadel pots that did NOT take to the brush well and are even harder to get into a dropper, and both took forever to clean out of the brush. I was easily spending 5 minutes attempting to clean the brush per 30 seconds of spraying.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

So what paint line do you all like to put through your airbrushes? I have some older vallejos dropper bottles that worked ~ok~, some citadel pots that did NOT take to the brush well and are even harder to get into a dropper, and both took forever to clean out of the brush. I was easily spending 5 minutes attempting to clean the brush per 30 seconds of spraying.

Just want to make sure, you're thinning them, right?

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Placentaur posted:

Most people here use Dullcote for their spray varnish but it's matte. Sometimes matte can frost up so a layer of gloss first can prevent it. Gloss also works as a bit of an alert if your model is getting shiny that means it's starting to wear away.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I've had good luck with most of the Vallejo model air colors I've used straight out of the bottle, but some still require thinning. I also really love Daler Rowny/Liquitex inks which work straight out of the bottle, and the Vallejo metal colors as well. Had a good experience with the P3 yellow ink straight out of the bottle, and Golden high flow acrylics work perfectly out of an airbrush as well.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I’ve brushed on winsor and newton galeria matte varnish and it didn’t frost over for me at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Cat Face Joe posted:

Just want to make sure, you're thinning them, right?

Yeah, definitely. I bought some flow improver (this is the correct product, yes?) that I've tried to use to mix it into a more agreeable viscosity.

While I'm asking, what's the best way to clean out the brush? Full breakdown and soak would be best but isn't feasable between every color change, but running airbrush cleaner through my badger doesn't exactly work quickly either. Do I need to let it soak in there for a while?

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 15, 2021