Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Alhazred posted:

I do think it's funny that in Fallout 3 you had to be trained by the Brotherhood of Steel in order to operate a power armor while in Fallout 4 you're capable of operating one despite being a housewife that just woke up from a 200 year long coma.

It was pretty weird that they made a different story background based on your character's gender. The male survivor was cononically an infantry veteran while the female survivor was a lawyer.

Why in the world did they do that? The military background explains why the character can competently use weapons and power armor, but the lawyer background makes it a big question mark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
I'm mostly enjoying Bravely Default but the titular mechanic seems really kinda lame and uninteresting. For anyone who doesn't know it's a basic turn based RPG where you can Default to defend and store an extra turn, or Brave to spend a banked turn (or go into turn debt) in order to take multiple turns this round. It kinda seems interesting on paper but in practise it mostly just means every random battle is just going into massive turn debt on round 1 to kill everyone/most of the enemies. And every boss fight is Default until the enemy goes into turn debt or you hit the max amount of banked turns then spam out and repeat. Doing almost anything else on a boss fight pretty much guarantees a wipe on any turn the boss randomly decides to take a double turn.

Also turn order is random and that's always dumb. Sure it's influenced by speed but, at low levels at least, the difference between the various characters speeds is small enough that I can never really know what order my characters, let alone the enemies, will take their turns in and it's often important. It's baffling since the game clearly takes so much from Final Fantasy Tactics which has an absolutely beautiful turn order resolution mechanic and this, and for that matter most turn based RPGs, would do well to steal it.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
I enjoyed Jedi Fallen Order for the most part, despite it feeling fairly dated and maybe a bit too linear overall. The combat was fun, but for something that seemed to be trying hard to emulate that Souls-esque or God of War style combat, I could NEVER get the loving parry mechanic to work properly. It seemed like they wanted to time it way before what seemed natural, and I was utter rear end at doing anything other than dodging. It was such a shame too, because I had just come off of Ghost of Tsushima where I was not hot garbage in this arena.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Xcom 2: War of the Chosen please just shut up. Everyone is talking all the time and none of it is interesting. Your own side speaks a lot but the 3 titular chosen (Alien champions) are orders of magnitude more chatty.

I just finished a mission to permanently kill one of them and literally every turn started with them speaking for 2-3 minutes straight and it always boiled down to ‘give yourself up and I’ll only torture you a little bit’

I also started a mission where I was supposed to defend a network node or something. This being Xcom you land far away from the objective and the enemy starts surrounding it.

Something may have messed up with the spawns but it put four clusters of enemies around the objective so they immediately destroyed it and forced a mission fail on me with no way to prevent it.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I never actually finished Fallout 4, but I keep thinking about starting a new playthrough and then I remember the loving free power armor minigun raider deathclaw sequence and my desire to play just vanishes entirely. poo poo like that is best suited for late game, not less than an hour or whatever into a new game.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Manager Hoyden posted:

It was pretty weird that they made a different story background based on your character's gender. The male survivor was cononically an infantry veteran while the female survivor was a lawyer.

Why in the world did they do that? The military background explains why the character can competently use weapons and power armor, but the lawyer background makes it a big question mark.

Sexism, probably. Female can't be soldier obvs

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

bony tony posted:

Sexism, probably. Female can't be soldier obvs

A satirical fantasy setting based on atomic age Americana having regressive gender roles? Obviously this is because the people making the game are sexists.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Cleretic posted:

I think the logic is that the power armor being used out in Boston had more involved strength-augmentation and propulsion systems; they need more battery power to use (or, well, any battery power at all), but they do a lot more of the act of ambulation for you. Meanwhile the power armor kicking around everywhere else are basically big chunks of machinery you have to learn how to make move yourself.

The mobility assistance is why you need power armor training. In New Vegas, the NCR even uses salvaged powerarmor with the servos and extra systems stripped out so you have all of the bullet protection but it's hard as gently caress to move in it. Prior to 4 this was the only power armor that didn't require training to use.
:goonsay:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I think it was to be like Fallout 1, where you were offered prebuilt characters who focused on being a shootybangs guy or a sneakyspeechy gal, but then they didn't want to restrict stats to gender so it's just there in the backstory.

Although I choose to believe in Power Armor Lawyer, fighting for her clients, wearing half a tank in court and being self-reliant.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Grunch Worldflower posted:

The mobility assistance is why you need power armor training. In New Vegas, the NCR even uses salvaged powerarmor with the servos and extra systems stripped out so you have all of the bullet protection but it's hard as gently caress to move in it. Prior to 4 this was the only power armor that didn't require training to use.
:goonsay:

Also in 4 I think it's a completely different power armor infrastructure and even the older models are actually just retrofitted to work with it, which is why it doesn't need training maybe?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Gin_Rummy posted:

I enjoyed Jedi Fallen Order for the most part, despite it feeling fairly dated and maybe a bit too linear overall. The combat was fun, but for something that seemed to be trying hard to emulate that Souls-esque or God of War style combat, I could NEVER get the loving parry mechanic to work properly. It seemed like they wanted to time it way before what seemed natural, and I was utter rear end at doing anything other than dodging. It was such a shame too, because I had just come off of Ghost of Tsushima where I was not hot garbage in this arena.

That's funny, despite being a huge Souls fan I've always sucked at parrying in those games, but I found it really easy Fallen Order. IIRC the difficulty settings make the timing looser or tighter, but I never messed around with them. That game was fun but I thought the combat was ultimately like 40% too floaty for a souls style game.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Byzantine posted:

I think it was to be like Fallout 1, where you were offered prebuilt characters who focused on being a shootybangs guy or a sneakyspeechy gal, but then they didn't want to restrict stats to gender so it's just there in the backstory.

Although I choose to believe in Power Armor Lawyer, fighting for her clients, wearing half a tank in court and being self-reliant.

Honestly though, it's only referenced in a handful of lines throughout the game. And apparently there was a draft, so maybe it was a JAG situation? Who knows.

Although I do remember there's some place you can only get into by telling them your husband was a decorated war hero. Hmm.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

It's amazing how unnecessary the soldier/lawyer thing in FO4 was. All they had to do was not mention their careers and they'd have avoided the stupidity.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

A satirical fantasy setting based on atomic age Americana having regressive gender roles? Obviously this is because the people making the game are sexists.

Because female lawyers were so common in 1950s America?

Shut up, Sleeveless.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

moosecow333 posted:

Xcom 2: War of the Chosen please just shut up. Everyone is talking all the time and none of it is interesting. Your own side speaks a lot but the 3 titular chosen (Alien champions) are orders of magnitude more chatty.

I just finished a mission to permanently kill one of them and literally every turn started with them speaking for 2-3 minutes straight and it always boiled down to ‘give yourself up and I’ll only torture you a little bit’

I also started a mission where I was supposed to defend a network node or something. This being Xcom you land far away from the objective and the enemy starts surrounding it.

Something may have messed up with the spawns but it put four clusters of enemies around the objective so they immediately destroyed it and forced a mission fail on me with no way to prevent it.

I've put countless hours into XCOM 2 trying to love it like XCOM 1 and I've just conceded that it's not as good. It's a solid core but every single change they made from 1, with few exceptions, seems designed to be as annoying, immemorable, or time wasting as possible. No one will ever shut the gently caress up, there's always an alarm blaring in your face, the maps are too big and the proc gen sucks. Plus it's still *really* difficult to cut a balance and decide whether a soldier death is something you can absorb, something that's pointlessly set you back a few hours, or something that's going to cause you to death spiral 15 hours down the line.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

...of SCIENCE! posted:

If it's trying to be satirical, then it sucks at it anyway and is still a steadfast negative element.

mmj
Dec 22, 2006

I've always been a bit confrontational
I have a feeling I'm going to have plenty of material for the glitch thread, because I'm trying to do a cyberpunk 2077 patch 1.00 run on the ps4 but my annoyance comes from the fact that I have to keep my ps4 unplugged from the internet at all times. Even with app updates turned off the second my ps4 sees there is a later version of the game it refuses to let me start the game until it patches to the newest version, even if I unplug the cable again. It sucks because I also stream Netflix and stuff through the ps4 and now I can't until I finish the game

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It's hard to say but I don't think it was intentionally sexist. Or even unintentionally sexist, now that I think about it. I'm not sure "men can only be jarhead grunts" and "women can only be highly paid and highly educated professionals" are gender stereotypes people throw around much.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Fallout 4 opening cutscene makes it pretty clear that playing as a woman isn't (or wasn't) the main focus.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Nate/Nora can use power armor out of the box because they're a synth. :unsmigghh:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Spek posted:

It's baffling since the game clearly takes so much from Final Fantasy Tactics

It really doesn’t.

Bravely Default is an evolution of Final Fantasy V and games inspired by it. Tactics takes the job system and goes in a very different direction than BD does, with leveling in a job affecting your permanent stats and unlocking new jobs, versus BD unlocking jobs with boss fights/plot progression.

As you play more the way speed effects turn order will be more stark. You’ll also get ways to manipulate bp so that gets more involved. BD2 doesn’t have a round based turn order, each character has a bar that fills according to their speed (this is imo its own can of worms)

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Spek posted:

I'm mostly enjoying Bravely Default but the titular mechanic seems really kinda lame and uninteresting. For anyone who doesn't know it's a basic turn based RPG where you can Default to defend and store an extra turn, or Brave to spend a banked turn (or go into turn debt) in order to take multiple turns this round. It kinda seems interesting on paper but in practise it mostly just means every random battle is just going into massive turn debt on round 1 to kill everyone/most of the enemies. And every boss fight is Default until the enemy goes into turn debt or you hit the max amount of banked turns then spam out and repeat. Doing almost anything else on a boss fight pretty much guarantees a wipe on any turn the boss randomly decides to take a double turn.

Also turn order is random and that's always dumb. Sure it's influenced by speed but, at low levels at least, the difference between the various characters speeds is small enough that I can never really know what order my characters, let alone the enemies, will take their turns in and it's often important. It's baffling since the game clearly takes so much from Final Fantasy Tactics which has an absolutely beautiful turn order resolution mechanic and this, and for that matter most turn based RPGs, would do well to steal it.

I thought pretty much the same for 1 but it never ended up being too hard so I didn't care but BD2 doubled-down on this and made the bosses hard as hell and the enemies give almost no exp even on casual. The bosses all got a little more gently caress-you hard for no "fun" pay-off. At least in SMT if the bosses are too hard, I have a lot of tools to re-orient my strategy and if I seek super tough monsters I'll level up quickly.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

mmj posted:

I have a feeling I'm going to have plenty of material for the glitch thread, because I'm trying to do a cyberpunk 2077 patch 1.00 run on the ps4 but my annoyance comes from the fact that I have to keep my ps4 unplugged from the internet at all times. Even with app updates turned off the second my ps4 sees there is a later version of the game it refuses to let me start the game until it patches to the newest version, even if I unplug the cable again. It sucks because I also stream Netflix and stuff through the ps4 and now I can't until I finish the game

Why don't you update? Is it some masochism thing?

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I think Fallout 4 went the Mass Effect route where they gave you a choice of gender but wrote the whole game with only the male character in mind.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

honestly the most likely reason is that someone in management with a non writing job decided on the protagonist backgrounds and some poor sap writer had to pick their battles elsewhere

in terms of writing fallout 4 is just incoherent. like, Your Son getting kidnapped is because they needed a non-irradiated human to make synths, but they just killed everyone else in the vault instead of taking them for experiments/backup because ??? guess they were just really confident at nailing it first try. the institute's big goal is apparently to secure nuclear power for their indefinite operations but they're also running an incredibly risky and ethically repugnant kill and replace operation over the entire populace because...? nobody is even supposed to know they exist and they live in complete isolation with teleportation technology, why are they doing this incredibly risky psyops plan. why not just make up a group of synths to pose as traders/raiders to operate on the surface?

even that op is bonkers, the main game has a scene where a guy is facing his SYNTH CLONE who wants to kill and replace him, which, if you're an organization that wants to clone people's memories and replace them with synths....why would you send the clone out alone to kill the original? that's the stupidest possible way to accomplish this with the highest risk of failure or discovery for an undercover operation

i don't know how bethesdas dev process works but its obvious the writers don't have much control over it

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
See, that's the problem, they say these games are fun if you ignore the main story but they also make the main story really hard to ignore.

People complained about not being able to skip the Fallout 3 intro so they made the intro in 4... also needlessly long and ornate.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Also, the reason the parents are getting all gussied up at the start is because the male protagonist is going to give a speech at a public event as a war vet. It doesn't end up mattering because of the whole nuclear apocalypse thing but there is your setup. Fallout 4 attempted to find a middle ground between the blank slate self insert and your Shepherd or Geralt where they have their own personality that can merely be influenced by your choices. It didn't work out for them.

Edit: the two protagonists are very slightly different in personality but it's mostly down to the voice actors themselves and the inflection they put on lines. Generally the text of their dialog will be the same but the amount of emphasis on certain subjects is very different. It almost IS like the two Sheps in Mass Effect in that way. I found looking at it from that perspective sold me on the characters a bit better, to me it felt like they had very very open direction from the casting director and did whatever they wanted. They turned in what feels like a very honest performance.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 09:49 on Mar 16, 2021

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Funniest thing about Fallout 4 is that they're trying to make the timeskip after your son gets kidnapped into a twist to the point of making Kellogg a voluntary red herring but the intro already shows you refreezing

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
I have geforce rtx 2080 super and fallout 4 sets my settings to low every time. It also crashes at the run to the vault intro. Also to change the FOV I have to edit 3 ini files.

How the gently caress is it this bad?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yes, we all know it's a Bethesda game.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Taking down a ginormous poop monster was absolutely not I saw coming when I picked up Control. Not a complaint :v:

Is Control a stealth remake of Conker's Bad Fur Day?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Control tells the millennial power fantasy of an unemployed, non-college educated drifter who walks into a government agency applying to be a janitor and walks out the director by successfully utilizing the technology her boomer predecessors failed to understand.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

exquisite tea posted:

Control tells the millennial power fantasy of an unemployed, non-college educated drifter who walks into a government agency applying to be a janitor and walks out the director by successfully utilizing the technology her boomer predecessors failed to understand.

And a gun

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Jesse's good with the service weapon because she plays video games. This is canon.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Military spouse benefits in 2077 include one afternoon of complimentary power armor training.
It's hard to spot and no-one ever takes advantage of it but Nora read the fine print.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

exquisite tea posted:

And yet she still has to work a second job as an Assistant Janitor.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

By the end of the game the traditional power structure is upended and we learn the most important role in The Oldest House is to be the janitor.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Gnome de plume posted:

Military spouse benefits in 2077 include one afternoon of complimentary power armor training.
It's hard to spot and no-one ever takes advantage of it but Nora read the fine print.

It's really weird to learn from this post that a year that hasn't even happened yet has already got a bad reputation.

I might live to see the year 2077, and I just know that if I do, I'm gonna have this vague, indistinct hatred of it.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

A problem I consistently run into with Bethesda games is that you can spend days installing mods and tweaking files to get a game that's mechanically engaging and interesting but there's nothing you can do to make the writing not-dogshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Without looking it up I don't think I could tell you the story or even series of events of any Bethesda game other than Morrowind. And even then it's because it's short, not because it's good.