Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
I thought he hired someone to do the briefings so he has even less work to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

Laurence Fox has found the ultimate way to destroy antifa - MORE STATUES

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1371428500637417474

Between this idiot, Jeffrey Archer, Ken Livingstone, George Galloway, Boris Johnson, Paul Golding, Zac Goldsmith, Shaun Bailey and I'm sure dozens of others I've blanked out, London really has outdone itself in the 'massive wankers running for mayor' stakes. I think Kilroy was going to run at one point as well?

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Comrade Fakename posted:

Laurence Fox has found the ultimate way to destroy antifa - MORE STATUES

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1371428500637417474

My dumb American rear end read "build a statue for every VC soldier" as "Terra Cotta Viet Cong Army" and I got really excited.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Julio Cruz posted:

there are going to be more Labour rebels than there are Tory

They're being whipped to oppose, and the right of the party are attacking the bill from the right via some bizarre moon-logic. I genuinely don't think there's an obvious rebel faction here.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

OwlFancier posted:

Apparently the universe heard me whinging cos I just got my appointments, yay.

Not looking forward to getting into boro in the middle of rush hour but still, woo.

Also not really a fan of how the booking website encourages you to just click on locations without reading them to get to final confirmation because otherwise someone will snipe your slot and you have to start over again.

Just got mine booked for this week, even tho I'm only early 40's. An advantage of living in an inner city with a much lower average age, I guess! Just got to survive 3 more days...

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
My second Pfizer dose got bumped back another week, good job that's not the one that starts losing eff :eng99:

Grammarchist posted:

My dumb American rear end read "build a statue for every VC soldier" as "Terra Cotta Viet Cong Army" and I got really excited.
That'd be both awesome and far too cool for anything he's ever proposed.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Darth Walrus posted:

They're being whipped to oppose, and the right of the party are attacking the bill from the right via some bizarre moon-logic. I genuinely don't think there's an obvious rebel faction here.

My guess is that they're using the right to peaceful protest as a battering ram to smash down other government restrictions on people's freedom to assemble in factories and offices.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Isn't the phrase 'women and girls' a big TERFy dogwhistle? It seems to have crept into the discourse around Sarah Everard - said by politicians, media etc all the time - in a way that feels really jarring. Maybe it's always been said, but it stands out to me. I just find it odd.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Sorry there's no money to pay NHS staff more :(

also,
https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1371554555809443840?s=20

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

It's just to make clear to young women that they too can be victims, not just grown adults.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Answers Me posted:

Isn't the phrase 'women and girls' a big TERFy dogwhistle? It seems to have crept into the discourse around Sarah Everard - said by politicians, media etc all the time - in a way that feels really jarring. Maybe it's always been said, but it stands out to me. I just find it odd.

Yes it’s the route the Terfs are going and how I got probably perma suspended from twitter. I had a tweet that was rocketing from at least 6k where I called them out for using this death to blame trans women, got mass reported and then the next time I swore BAM “hate speech” ban.

I honestly think it wasn’t auto this time and some TERF at twitter was sitting on my account ready to ban. Why? Because earlier in the week I had reported a TERF to twitter and the police for a bomb threat, she went protected and was never banned, but in banning me all my twitter reports and the verdict email disappears.

If you see someone pretending to be me on there It’s not, that account is gone if I get it back or not, just being on a platform who would do this as a high follower and therefore from a corporate view high value account makes me feel ill.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Oh I guess it's inevitable that a phrase that's meant to be inclusive would get picked up by TERFs.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Yeah the Sisters Uncut organisation is on a TERF hitlist after some confrontation started by TERF at speakers corner a few years back so TERF twitter is doing some godawful poo poo like siding with the police over their attack on the vigil as means of attacking trans rights.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Jess Philips made it utterly clear that this was the official TERF line when she read out all the “women who have been murdered by men” and didn’t include any trans women.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Also the list is apparently compiled by a virulently horrible TERF.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I cannot begin to say how unsafe twitter is for trans women right now. I think people who know me from there know I can make a awful list of things that have happened in real life because of twitter stalking, and that it will be true, but also that I won’t because it will be an upsetting read for them.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Breath Ray posted:

absolutely right - that's what makes 'cathartic' rants about gammons doubly frustrating. but there is hope, says this former editor of Marxism Today:

That's a really good article, and that is the right solution to right-wing populism. Even assuming good faith just because someone recognises the same descriptive problems as you does not at all mean that they'll support your prescriptive solutions. Across the west right-wing populism can basically be summed up as the old joke about Bannon, it's 'universal healthcare but only for white people', if you actually talk to these people then stronger union rights? Nah, they got annoyed by an uppity black nurse once. More social housing? So Blair can fill them up with muslims, methinks not. Taxing the rich remotely appropriately? Literally depends on if the rhetorical rich are within-that-conversation implied to be globohomo jews or Strong British Job Creators.

If woke leftlib idiots sometimes seem to not be objective humanists then that is so much more profoundly a problem with right populists.

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure there is any subgrouping in society, or any question asked, where the answers given do not basically skew old/bad and young/good.

I don't know if that's so universal, it feels like the time period when this stuff could be easily recorded and examined aligns with the time period when lots of world-changing things were happening very quickly. Not to be all Freakonomics but it does seem sort of intuitive that when you're young and thrusting and the world is potentially your oyster you'd probably benefit from widespread social change, but once you get older and you are probably living the statistically average life there's maybe less potential benefit to you in widespread social change, and heck you might even lose what you already have.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/periuspb/status/1371487069026066441?s=19

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Jesus Christ I just had the most mad experience. On way back from the Sisters Uncut protest in Leeds and stop off at the memorial and having a quiet moment with my partner and our (female) friend, and I hear male voices coming from the street next to us: 'pretty soon you'll just have to look at the floor everywhere you walk.' I'm thinking that surely this can't be the conversation I think it is. Then 'really they should be thankful you find them attractive'. As soon as I stop being lost for words I realise the other two haven't clocked it so turn and say it's not the place to be having that conversation, then I tell the other two what they said and my friend, the legend, shouts 'you loving CUNTS' after them. Then they actually have the audacity to turn back towards us as if to start something and say 'it wasn't about anyone here' and we let them know we don't give a gently caress.

They walked off at this point but gently caress me. What the loving gently caress. Loudly chatting about you can't leer at and harass women in the street next to the memorial to the woman recently taken from the street and murdered. What the gently caress.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I... what

how?

Pencils R Cool
Feb 16, 2011
https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1371534119184793600

The Year is 2022. The Churchill Statue (PBUH) is under constant 24/7 surveillance by our Bravest And Most Patriotic Lads. Anyone who walks within 15ft of His Greatness without displaying a suitable amount of respect is added to the List of Unpatriotic Citizens. Sir Keir Starmer of the Labour Party attacks the Prime Minister in the House of Commons for not being "patriotic enough", he wants to see even tougher punishment for those who would Disrespect Our History.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

that loving statue is going to end up being our poundshop kaaba

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
https://twitter.com/MardyDuck/status/1371534674653286404

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Unfortunately in 2030 the Churchill statue has auto turrets built into the shoulders.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Which is actually what is what he would have wanted, although preferably at the dock at Portsmouth facing out to sea.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Unfortunately in 2030 the Churchill statue has auto turrets built into the shoulders.

...while the eyes project breaking GB News broadcasts into the face of every passing snowflake

are island :britain:

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Checked the social medias for Bolton North East CLP and couldn't see anything sus or anything that would reframe those statements. Happy to be wrong but I genuinely don't know what basis Labour has to call that statement anti-semitic. Literally the only thing that remotely parses is that "hugely popular" is an oblique reference to the UK populace statistically being more antisemitic than the Labour membership are, but that's very loving weak and actively incoherent to other Labour positioning/messaging.

If you're left wing you're gonna be called a racist just FYI lads.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

kingturnip posted:

I'm due my second Pfizer jab this week. It'll be nice to get that and still be unable to go on holiday anywhere because the entire world is run by buffoons.

No, scrap that, I could probably go to Uganda. The government there seems pretty sure covid isn't an issue, despite the booming coffin trade.

So up until this week, the worlds scientific community weren't sure if vaccines make it so that you can no longer spread Covid or not.

https://www.deseret.com/u-s-world/2021/3/14/22327524/pfizer-vaccine-asymptomatic-transmission-data

At the moment it looks like the Pfizer vaccine will more or less prevent the spread of Covid along with stopping the effects of the disease.

That being said, I keep running into people on social media who seem to believe that getting the Vaccination means that the Pandemic no longer applies to them and that now the world is greatly inconveniencing them by not going back to 2019.

Like I stopped following someone who was just liking posts by a Liberterian type who was saying that after he gets his vaccinations, all pubs should just open and refuse entry from anyone who doesn't have a vaccination passport.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Surprised that libertarian types want to go somewhere that only operates under government licence and doesn't allow under 18s.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I’m super ok with NHS issued vaccination and exemption cards that run out in a year if it means I can be in an inclosed space without the kind of person who won’t get vaccinated.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

learnincurve posted:

I’m super ok with NHS issued vaccination and exemption cards that run out in a year if it means I can be in an inclosed space without the kind of person who won’t get vaccinated.

It's not that I'm better than them, it's that they're worse than me.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'm sick of hearing about vaccinations, I don't think I'll get one

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'm sick of hearing about vaccinations, I don't think I'll get one

You could always just shop around for one with deafness as a side-effect.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Will the vaccine passports be blue though :colbert:

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Boris Johnson is going to be in power for the next 20 years, so I sincerely doubt he's handing power over to either Patel or Sunak that quickly

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Mum's getting hers next week so we're still a long way from my age bracket round here. Maybe next year.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

sassassin posted:

Mum's getting hers next week so we're still a long way from my age bracket round here. Maybe next year.

i doubt it bud, i suspect we're going to have more vaccines than arms very soon (if not already). they're advancing down the stack so they don't need to deal with people who are for whatever reason resistant, but that ratio will increase with time. healthy and well people are the most likely to wind up antivaxx and all this press coverage is not helping the oxford vaccine.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
The Churchill statue guard thing is so loving creepy and weird. There's not even anyone nearby. I know why they're doing it (culture war deflection), but surely for anyone but the most absolutely frothing gammon the optics are just completely bizarre.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

sassassin posted:

They're still on track for getting all over-18s their first dose by end of July afaik. Stocks of the Moderna vaccine (of which we have ordered I think 17m doses) are coming in imminently which is expected to massively increase the already high rate of vaccination.

I think it becomes a free-for-all once they get to the under 40s so as coolcab says if you're keen to get the jab you will probably be able to book a spot pretty fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

That's a really good article, and that is the right solution to right-wing populism. Even assuming good faith just because someone recognises the same descriptive problems as you does not at all mean that they'll support your prescriptive solutions. Across the west right-wing populism can basically be summed up as the old joke about Bannon, it's 'universal healthcare but only for white people', if you actually talk to these people then stronger union rights? Nah, they got annoyed by an uppity black nurse once. More social housing? So Blair can fill them up with muslims, methinks not. Taxing the rich remotely appropriately? Literally depends on if the rhetorical rich are within-that-conversation implied to be globohomo jews or Strong British Job Creators.

If woke leftlib idiots sometimes seem to not be objective humanists then that is so much more profoundly a problem with right populists.

I don't know if that's so universal, it feels like the time period when this stuff could be easily recorded and examined aligns with the time period when lots of world-changing things were happening very quickly. Not to be all Freakonomics but it does seem sort of intuitive that when you're young and thrusting and the world is potentially your oyster you'd probably benefit from widespread social change, but once you get older and you are probably living the statistically average life there's maybe less potential benefit to you in widespread social change, and heck you might even lose what you already have.

gently caress off out of this thread.