Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

are there any good new-ish shows to watch with my partner that don't suck absolute poo poo? we haven't watched a show together in a while and every time we try and look for something everything looks awful

she doesn't like space stuff so don't say the expanse, and we've already watched the boys

think we might just stick with movies for the foreseeable future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i dunno how nerdy this GIRLFRIEND is but if youre looking for something relatively mundane that could lead to relationship goals chat you is a pretty solid stalker serial killer romance mashup

that title is "you" btw nearly impossible to search for even with proper punctuation

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

there should be an oscar for animal performances

also voice acting (insane there's not one yet)

only a matter of time until one of those Star Wars style deepfake actors wins an Oscar imo

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Some Guy TT posted:

i dunno how nerdy this GIRLFRIEND is but if youre looking for something relatively mundane that could lead to relationship goals chat you is a pretty solid stalker serial killer romance mashup

that title is "you" btw nearly impossible to search for even with proper punctuation

already seen it it’s fine

in retrospect it makes chris delia look like a kevin spacey level sociopath

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

are there any good new-ish shows to watch with my partner that don't suck absolute poo poo? we haven't watched a show together in a while and every time we try and look for something everything looks awful

she doesn't like space stuff so don't say the expanse, and we've already watched the boys

Have you watched forged in fire?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Ted Lasso, Gangs of London

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Goondolences

Actually, same. I have like 5 of the major apps and everything I find is either :chloe: or pisses me off in some way. Like, people say to watch Bosch because it's very LA and they even filmed it at my old job, but I'm not in the mood to watch cops do anything but [unintelligible - interference] so that's out. I've had media on a drip feed into my skull since I was a kid, so I'm sick of it all.

What I've been doing lately is using the Youtube app. What I've been wanting is just people doing stuff like flying planes but with no fake drama or bullshit, just the planes flying. Youtube is more than happy to deliver this low stress low interaction content by the barrel full.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

DuckTales

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qps9IS0msy8

why is everything an expanded universe now

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
rewatched End of Watch for the first time in years and it’s remarkable that it’s literally framed as the kind of movie cops would make about themselves

which starts of literally in the sense that Gyllenhaal’s character is making a class project film about the job, and includes bullshit like locker room banter and him doing push-ups, real dumb guy stuff

then by the second act the film straight up becomes a dumb guy cop conception of what their job is - ie they break into a burning house and rescue a bunch of kids, then get honored by the city in a public ceremony

also David Harbour gives an excellent portrayal of a shithead cop

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

tv really does seem like a low point at the moment. if there are good shows it's sometimes stuff i've never heard of on a channel nobody has

i've been watching twitch more in the last year because the live stuff appeals to me as a news nerd

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

they're only just starting to film the next season of atlanta, ughhh

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/turtlekiosk/status/1371237401792774146?s=20

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

there should be an oscar for animal performances

also voice acting (insane there's not one yet)

not before stunts :colbert:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mr Hootington posted:

Have you watched forged in fire?

WILL IT CUT:byodood:

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

WILL IT CUT:byodood:

weel eet keel?

eet weel keel!

Qoey
Jun 2, 2014

uber_stoat posted:

weel eet keel?

eet weel keel!

Honestly, Forged in Fire wouldn't be half as fun to watch without him keeling things

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

its insane how with the sheer amount of content coming out there's like 4 adequate shows

anyways my go to recommendation is the what we do in shadows tv show, fun for everyone!

Fleetwood
Mar 26, 2010

biggest hochul head in china

The Unnamed One posted:

It should be named the "That Dog from The Thing" Honorary Award

Most powerful animal acting ever seen on film

this is exactly what I immediately thought of

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

i say swears online posted:

they're only just starting to film the next season of atlanta, ughhh

in Europe from what I've read, seems like a weird decision

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Just watch King of the Hill

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

indigi posted:

in Europe from what I've read, seems like a weird decision

Hell yeah Donald the Sandler school of film production works

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Atrocious Joe posted:

why is everything an expanded universe now

The Family watches those home makeover shows (open concept), and now with discovery+ the network started crossing over their "celebrities" into other shows.
That Magic card game is doing the same thing. Is harry potter going to be a card deck soon?
Crossovers and spin offs make money.

To quote my friend, when talking about all this super hero media blitz: "Everything is wrestling."

I kind of like it, because it's kind of like how a person learns a trade from another person. Then that person starts their business. But with media.
It's easier to keep up with things.

Before it was like: "Hey new thing!" Commercial. You like, *spins the wheel* "Madonna," "Geico insurance," "billionaire romance novels," and "Sea Shanties" now!

Now it's like: I don't have a to give a shiiiiiit about anything.

You watched a 6'969 episode tv show, or follow an instagram person you follow with 420 other people. Great, and you understand it's not mainstream or must see tv. Cool.

Everybody is a loving nerd nerd now. It's funny.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

if youre feeling down on english language tv its always worth remembering theres a fuckton of foreign stuff we have access to these days which tends not to be a part of the same trends

beforeigners comes to mind as another potential GIRLFRIEND show that despite involving vikings and time travel doesnt feel even slightly nerdbaity and has a very grounded approach to both topics

Clever Moniker
Oct 29, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

reading this thread while listening to the new entertainment remaster: LISTEN TO GANG OF FOUR

Thank you very much for bringing this to my attention. It's getting a vinyl release, too.

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

time to watch anime my dude

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

e: wrong thread

Doktor Avalanche has issued a correction as of 04:34 on Mar 16, 2021

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
https://twitter.com/TheMatthewCohen/status/1371364457868226560?s=20

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Some Guy TT posted:

if youre feeling down on english language tv its always worth remembering theres a fuckton of foreign stuff we have access to these days which tends not to be a part of the same trends

beforeigners comes to mind as another potential GIRLFRIEND show that despite involving vikings and time travel doesnt feel even slightly nerdbaity and has a very grounded approach to both topics

beforeigners is way better than it has any right to be. its like if bright was actually good

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Farm Frenzy posted:

beforeigners is way better than it has any right to be. its like if bright was actually good

Cast a Deadly Spell came out many years before Bright and did most of it better.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

when i realised that htey were actually gonna give the cop a partner whos a viking i started cheering at the screen

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol beforeigners owns, thanks for the rec

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

vikings have much to teach us in these trying times such as the importance of antipapism as a guiding ideology

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

also that drugs are awesome

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the logan paul caveman rules

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
let's talk saving private ryan. for me, the most iconic sequence of the movie is the whole bit with the german machine gun nest where they have their sole prisoner dig a bunch of graves, then let him go, and tom hanks defuses the resultant discord in his squad by revealing his humble origins. i've always really liked the part where the german prisoner recites every americanism he knows to try to avoid getting killed; it's a great bit of screenwriting

what political position does saving private ryan hold? the political implications of this movie seem surprisingly under-discussed on the internet. there's a certain jingoism to the film; i distinctly remember when saving private ryan was released, but at the same time, i always think that it's a post-9/11 film. in fact, it was released in 1998. the hero-worship of the troops is very intense; in that respect, it shares a lot with The Rock (1996). there's a certain fascistic impulse in the film in that it treats the war as a force of nature; nobody blames the germans for the war and its causes are left unexamined. anti-semitism (and indeed, nazism) is barely mentioned. instead, the war is really just a backdrop for larger emotional issues to play out. beyond that, it's hard to say that saving private ryan has much of a political bone; its core is essentially just a blockbuster action flick.

you gotta love some of those handheld shots following the actors across rubble-strewn battlefields. who can forget all of the (obviously embellished or outright falsified) stories about ww2 veterans gripped with ptsd in the theatre because the battle scenes were just too real

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth
Saving Private Ryan is hilariously transparent US troop propaganda and (like every spielberg flick) is packed full of daddy issues. The Thin Red Line is the only good depiction via film of ww2 by an american.

thalweg
Aug 26, 2019

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

Idk if it counts as "new-ish" but Fargo is real good imo (haven't seen the new season yet tho)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad that the Hanks/Spielberg series about B-17 bombers disappeared into vaporware

that said, what was so bad about Red Tails? I never got to watch it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

thatfatkid posted:

Saving Private Ryan is hilariously transparent US troop propaganda and (like every spielberg flick) is packed full of daddy issues. The Thin Red Line is the only good depiction via film of ww2 by an american.

SPR, like lots of war movies, can be a dazzling technical experience. Then you get to the end and think "hang on ..."

Also see: Black Hawk Down