Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

For me, its the environmental music of Hiroshi Yoshimura and similar japanese artists.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQNHYNv9IpSzzaQMuH7ji2bEy6o8T8Wwn

It's very literal, most of this sort of ambient was made as background music for hotel lobbies, art galleries and stores. Generally just a dx and some sort of sequencer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i like thomas köner a lot.

i have been on the mpc for hours at a time, man this thing is great. i was getting into the step seq and trimming/chopping samples. it’s very intuitive

beeker
Dec 17, 2006

meep meep!

field balm posted:

For me, its the environmental music of Hiroshi Yoshimura and similar japanese artists.

Same, I love Green

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-k9Xu5O7AY

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

field balm posted:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQNHYNv9IpSzzaQMuH7ji2bEy6o8T8Wwn

It's very literal, most of this sort of ambient was made as background music for hotel lobbies, art galleries and stores. Generally just a dx and some sort of sequencer.

Hiroshi Yoshimura is so loving excellent

I love going down the YouTube rabbit hole of Japanese ambient, or even smooth jazz lol

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

A MIRACLE posted:

bought this ikea closet organizer thing what y’all think?? Cheaper than a jaspers lol

What was the name of the unit? I might also try and copy this.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

It’s from the elvarli closet system. $100. It’s stable front to back but a little too easy to wiggle side to side. I’m attaching it to the ceiling this week since I like the spot it’s in

The model 12 is sick so far. I have it doing midi transport so all my sequencers are syncing up with the recording. Flipping between the live sequence and the recorded version it sounds perfect. Already laying down drum backings to jam to lol

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Mar 14, 2021

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

If I put on selected ambient works the zoomers at work call it yoga music >:I

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Mr. Sharps posted:

lmao

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I find myself getting super distracted every time I go near my volca FM. Oops, where did the hour go? Just noodling around, making little ditties and what would have sounded like outer space sounds to child me in the 80's. It's just so easy to open the case, turn it on and play with.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

Mr. Sharps posted:

That's not even really ambient by today's standards. Mr Aphex used melody, rhythm, and patterns. It's just mellow.
Back in the day I used to run short wave radio through a reverb, which we just called noise.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Cheese Thief posted:

That's not even really ambient by today's standards. Mr Aphex used melody, rhythm, and patterns. It's just mellow.
Back in the day I used to run short wave radio through a reverb, which we just called noise.

I really prefer Eno's original description of Ambient "Music which is as ignorable as it is interesting".

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

1/1 of Music for Airports is literally tape loops of melodies and pads. It's structurally musical, but it's repetitions spaced in time, not meter. (My spouse did a theory paper on it in college and now I know more than I ever wanted to about Music for Airports 1/1.)

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

toadee posted:

I really prefer Eno's original description of Ambient "Music which is as ignorable as it is interesting".

:hmmyes:

oscillator sink had a good quote in his ambient/drone tutorial that's like "move slowly, but never stop moving" and as soon as he said that i was like :psyduck: that is so loving good

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Johnny Truant posted:

:hmmyes:

oscillator sink had a good quote in his ambient/drone tutorial that's like "move slowly, but never stop moving" and as soon as he said that i was like :psyduck: that is so loving good

I've lost count of how many times I've watched that drat video.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Tayter Swift posted:

I've lost count of how many times I've watched that drat video.

Jesus fuuuuuuck does he just know the Digitone inside and out! I'm maybe 2/3 through while taking detailed notes and I honestly think he knows the most out of any YouTuber making Digitone tutorials.

Plus his voice is so soothing and his jokes are so wholesome :3:

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I like ambient as much as I like classical and jazz. I can read with any of them playing while both appreciating them all and also not being so invested that it distracts me from my books. Love listening live as well. It’s all just so relaxing and sometimes even zen. I can understand why some people wouldn’t like it, as I can’t get into new wave country music either. Just different tastes and emotions don’t click. Goes true for any genre. Metal, pop, etc.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

OK I'm officially "over" menu diving on the Reface DX. Is there a better workflow for patch editing? Not sure if there are knobs or things I can turn on an iPad app and just upload to the keyboard.

The keyboard and sounds are great, but I just can't get into any kind of groove editing one aspect, four buttons at a time.

Jealous of a synth that has all the guts in pushable/pullable/turnable/twistable interface right out front.

e: 1:1 knobs aren't a necessity, the DX just feels really dive-y. I'm not even sure what a happy medium would look like.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 15, 2021

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Martytoof posted:

OK I'm officially "over" menu diving on the Reface DX. Is there a better workflow for patch editing? Not sure if there are knobs or things I can turn on an iPad app and just upload to the keyboard.

The keyboard and sounds are great, but I just can't get into any kind of groove editing one aspect, four buttons at a time.

Jealous of a synth that has all the guts in pushable/pullable/turnable/twistable interface right out front.

e: 1:1 knobs aren't a necessity, the DX just feels really dive-y. I'm not even sure what a happy medium would look like.

http://www.dtronics.nl/pages/dtrdx.html

Do it!!!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man I knew someone would say that and --- ugh so tempting.

If only it wasn't the same price as the actual keyboard itself :ohdear:

Not gonna lie, there's a good chance I end up with one of those if my tax refund is good.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Cheese Thief posted:

lmao what are you talking about

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Yeah, writing off one of the defining works of the genre is an interesting choice.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

I don't quite I agree with Cheese Thief, but I definitely see the point. When people refer to ambient, they're usually referring to music that is more spacious and mellow, meaning long minimal phrases and little recognizable meter, Selected Ambient is mostly not that. I do think it fits the definition and spirit of ambient though.
It's interesting how certain artists play within a genre and capture the essence, but don't necessarily sound like other artists in that genre. I feel like The Clash is a good example, they were one of the bands that defined punk, but an album like London Calling is not what people usually think of when they think of something sounding punk.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ricecult posted:

I don't quite I agree with Cheese Thief, but I definitely see the point. When people refer to ambient, they're usually referring to music that is more spacious and mellow, meaning long minimal phrases and little recognizable meter, Selected Ambient is mostly not that. I do think it fits the definition and spirit of ambient though.
It's interesting how certain artists play within a genre and capture the essence, but don't necessarily sound like other artists in that genre. I feel like The Clash is a good example, they were one of the bands that defined punk, but an album like London Calling is not what people usually think of when they think of something sounding punk.

if London Calling is your example for “not really stereotypically ‘punk” then what are Sandinista and Combat Rock? :P

Also, Hainbach’s last album is arguably ambient, but it’s anything but “mellow”. A lot of theatrical, soundtrack, and score music is ambient but it’s meant to set a tone of dread or drama. Video game music is a particular example where you might also be forced to think with the limitation of having a track or sequence of tracks that can go on for, say, 25+ minutes without a player losing their mind.

Anyway, sorry to bring him up again- but his recent video output has been super instructional in terms of making noise/tone-based music, and thinking about noise/tone-based music. His video from today is all about blowing out your speakers by being careless and stupidpinging, and using resonances and it’s pretty cool. Definitely not something I had ever thought about

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Martytoof posted:

Do it on the PC. Sadly, I'm not even joking, that synth is considered to have one of the better FM interfaces. Just go look up how it works on DX7 or Volca FM and cry.

For a quick and dirty solution you might try hooking the Reface to soundmondo so you can first enter the numerical values by hand to what is essentially a nice little spreadsheet and then with the broad picture set, go back to fiddling with knobs (well, touch ribbons) to tweak particular things, like a given operator or envelope or operator balance.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

There's a reason why one of the first things you do when you get a Modx/Montage is buy John Melas' utilities that lets you do all the FM-X/AWE32 editing on the PC if you want.

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

if London Calling is your example for “not really stereotypically ‘punk” then what are Sandinista and Combat Rock? :P

Also, Hainbach’s last album is arguably ambient, but it’s anything but “mellow”. A lot of theatrical, soundtrack, and score music is ambient but it’s meant to set a tone of dread or drama. Video game music is a particular example where you might also be forced to think with the limitation of having a track or sequence of tracks that can go on for, say, 25+ minutes without a player losing their mind.

Well yeah, that's my point! Ambient doesn't have to have a specific sound to be ambient because the genre is tied into serving particular purposes (I think the same could be argued for punk). There does exist though a generalized/stereotyped ambient sound, I think especially now with synths more accessible and the existence of the internet.

As a side note, Hainbach is a joy.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

I need to do a trip jam? report. I made a stab at making a bit of an ambient soundtrack for the background of making chicken/turkey soup tonight. Volca FM and NTS-1 with a launchkey mini controlling the nts-1. Managed to get some real spooky sounding, relatively high pitched drone sound on the nts-1, and taped a key down with scotch tape. Every once in a while, between chopping veggies, I'd tap some arpeggiated bells into the FM, maybe mess with algo, and the sustain knobs to make it a bit more eerie. Crowd of one family member enjoyed the hell out of it. Just let things ring on until a bit longer than uncomfortable. So far it has only been frantic bleeps and bloops that I've made, but I like this deeply uncomfortable soundscape stuff.

Ok Comboomer posted:

(snip)Hainbach’s last album is arguably ambient, but it’s anything but “mellow”. (snip)
Anyway, sorry to bring him up again- but his recent video output has been super instructional in terms of making noise/tone-based music, and thinking about noise/tone-based music. His video from today is all about blowing out your speakers by being careless and stupidpinging, and using resonances and it’s pretty cool. Definitely not something I had ever thought about

The video you mention was what inspired me to bring the gear into the kitchen and mess around while I cooked!
Also, just listening to his latest album while I read the forum. Strange coincedences! Schwebungssummer makes me want to headbang.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

ricecult posted:

I feel like The Clash is a good example, they were one of the bands that defined punk, but an album like London Calling is not what people usually think of when they think of something sounding punk.

Lol, I heard the whole album first time last year. Was expecting more like the title track and it was really jarring when it went straight to old timey rock n roll bullshit about a loving cadillac on track 2.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Ok Comboomer posted:

Hainbach's music rips I don't know what I'd categorize it but even my wife digs it.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

ricecult posted:

As a side note, Hainbach is a joy.

He really is. I always feel like he's genuinely happy that we came back.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

field balm posted:

Yeah, writing off one of the defining works of the genre is an interesting choice.

What? I love Selected Ambient Works album. It's like a go to when I'm at work. Didn't mean to come across like it wasn't good. It's way way way better than anything else that calls itself ambient besides Eno maybe, but better than Eno imo.

Cheese Thief
Oct 30, 2020

JamesKPolk posted:

lmao what are you talking about

sorry, I was trying to say 'ambient' music sucks because it's very boring and not musical, but Aphex Twin is fantastic because it is not boring. Anyway.

note: if you are having fun with sound, synths, or whatever that is ALL that matters, I should say

Cheese Thief fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Mar 17, 2021

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Ambient is when u take ur modular to the woods and make a youtube

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I remember when ambient was called new age. I think there was something before that back in the tower record days, but hosed if I can remember back to the 70s.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 17, 2021

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
hambient is when you make an entire album using nothing but samples of sounds made with ham

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The Voice of Labor posted:

hambient is when you make an entire album using nothing but samples of sounds made with ham

I hope my model:samples arrives before I forget about this.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Does bacon count?

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Speaking of ham and samples (hamples) I was teaching a 7 year old guitar student "Light 'em up" by Fallout Boy (at his request...), and he asks "how do I play the ham part?" So I say "Ham part?" And he says "yeah, the part at the beginning of the song, ham ham think of ham ham think of think of ham ham."

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Mad Dragon posted:

Does bacon count?

Some good bacon sizzle hi-hats would be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
You guys know about Matthew Herbert’s famous project where he sampled pigs, mostly, right https://www.soundonsound.com/people/matthew-herbert-sampling-pig-noises