Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Disharmony posted:

How does the NK65EE compare to the Keychron aluminum? Is it weighty and sturdy despite the plasticky-looking build?

Looking to get into my first custom MKB just to test the Gazzew Boba U4 and I'm torn if I should go with this one or any of the used ID80v1/v2 since they're around the same price range here.

Of those, I've only held the NK65EE, and I'd probably recommend it over the others.

It's not going to be super heavy because it's made almost entirely of polycarbonate. However, it has a separate plate, and PCB. It's got all of the very standard features that most of the more expensive boards have -- aside from the weight. You'll be able to swap plates just fine with it because it's a very standard and popular layout and board. If you're looking for a good entry in the custom keeb world, with all the possible options and flexibility that comes with it, at an affordable price, the NK65EE is it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down

Gearman posted:

Of those, I've only held the NK65EE, and I'd probably recommend it over the others.

It's not going to be super heavy because it's made almost entirely of polycarbonate. However, it has a separate plate, and PCB. It's got all of the very standard features that most of the more expensive boards have -- aside from the weight. You'll be able to swap plates just fine with it because it's a very standard and popular layout and board. If you're looking for a good entry in the custom keeb world, with all the possible options and flexibility that comes with it, at an affordable price, the NK65EE is it.

Okay I'm almost sold but I have to also ask: would Millmaxing my Keychron K2 so I could hot swap the Boba (or any other switch) also a good option or there's some drawbacks to that?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
I've got a KBP V60 (the discontinued original model) with Matias Quiet Click switches; the layout is great and the switches are outstanding, better than anything else I've touched (just some MXes of various colors that friends own). I am thinking about getting a bigger board, either TKL or something around that size, and figure I might as well use it as an opportunity to try new switches as well.

I want to get as much tactility as possible with minimal noise, and the Quiet Clicks are great at that. (I type pretty hard and I think I need the tactile feedback to not aggressively bottom out the keys.) What else should I be looking at, from a switch perspective?

I was looking at Topre Silent, and maybe something like this Realforce TKL; I'm also interested in the layout of this Leopold FC980C even though it's only available with non-silent switches. Any comments on these, or recommendations for other (bigger than 60%) boards with Topre Silent or other interesting switches?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Disharmony posted:

Okay I'm almost sold but I have to also ask: would Millmaxing my Keychron K2 so I could hot swap the Boba (or any other switch) also a good option or there's some drawbacks to that?

The only drawback is that I believe the Keychron PCB only has support for plate mount switches instead of PCB mount switches. What this means is that if you have any switches that have 5 legs (PCB mount) you'll need to clip off two of them for it to fit. It's not an uncommon thing to do and it won't really damage the switches, it's just very tedious, especially if you're trying out lots of different switches. The NK65EE supports PCB mount switches, so you don't need to do any clipping and can just drop in any kind of switch without any hassle.

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
If you're looking into the nk65ee, I'd also recommend the kbd67lite at that price point. They may still be doing a group buy for that now that should ship in May.

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015

Disharmony posted:

How does the NK65EE compare to the Keychron aluminum? Is it weighty and sturdy despite the plasticky-looking build?

Looking to get into my first custom MKB just to test the Gazzew Boba U4 and I'm torn if I should go with this one or any of the used ID80v1/v2 since they're around the same price range here.

There's a big silicone sheet in the bottom of the case that gives it a decent heft. Makes the Gateron Black Ink on my spacebar sound nice too.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
When you mix switches on a board, the typical thing is to do the alphas/numbers/punctuation with a lighter switch and then your modifier keys, Enter key, etc. in a heavier one, right? I managed to snag a M0lly extra and now I need to figure out what I'll do with it.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
All personal preference, but yeah, most people do like a heavy spacebar and enter. I have to say for gaming, I find heavier modifier keys to actually be quite annoying however.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I actually put slightly lighter linears on the spacebar in my tactile keyboards.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I put a super heavy clicky switch on caps. I find the click more useful than heavy in that case.

Oddly enough, I originally had box reds on the whole board with Kailh Berry on the Windows key, but it ended up being too light for me, so I put the whole board as Kailh Berry, 70g actuation, 90g bottom out. It's weird, but I really like it. I kind of want to make the board I'm (finally) setting up for the work laptop dock that heavy too. Maybe I'll try Kailh Box Dark Yellow 70/80 for a small change.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Are the desk mats that most keyboard companies sell any good? They seem pretty cheap for the price but do have any quality issues compared to ones from bigger companies like Corsair or steelseries?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

CyberPingu posted:

If you want to go full ergonomic split board, I have a wireless redox that runs off of watch batteries that I replace maybe one/twice a year

That sounds pretty nice. I'm skimming the GitHub readme and it links to something called via. Unfortunately, the site, caniusevia.com, doesn't actually say what the hell via [i]is[/]. Can someone please explain it for me, the person who doesn't know poo poo about homemade keyboards?

Edit: oh wait, it involves a bunch of soldering. Something I haven't done in like 15 years and for which I am not equipped. Never mind.

hooah fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Mar 16, 2021

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

TacticalHoodie posted:

Are the desk mats that most keyboard companies sell any good? They seem pretty cheap for the price but do have any quality issues compared to ones from bigger companies like Corsair or steelseries?

Yeah the deskmats at just about any of the common keyboard vendors are just fine.

Any of the deskmats listed here are great: https://thocstock.com/deskpads

I think Corsair and Steelseries just like having higher margins on these sorts of items.

Gearman fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Mar 16, 2021

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Alarbus posted:

I put a super heavy clicky switch on caps. I find the click more useful than heavy in that case.

I do this as well with my lock keys and layer toggles. Anything that toggles state is clicky as is backspace so I know immediately if I hit them accidentally, and then my numbers and arrows are heavier tactiles compared to the rest.

feedback loop
Feb 16, 2015
Apparently I accidentally posted in the PC Building thread that having a linear spacebar is more important to me than having a heavy spacebar, so I'm here to say the same thing

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

hooah posted:

That sounds pretty nice. I'm skimming the GitHub readme and it links to something called via. Unfortunately, the site, caniusevia.com, doesn't actually say what the hell via [i]is[/]. Can someone please explain it for me, the person who doesn't know poo poo about homemade keyboards?

Edit: oh wait, it involves a bunch of soldering. Something I haven't done in like 15 years and for which I am not equipped. Never mind.

Via is a QMK GUI for programming keyboards, like layout, key maps, LEDs, and so on. It makes using QMK so much easier instead of having to build a firmware and copy that over to the board. There’s some configuration work done by the PCB designer to make it work, hence the can I use via.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Corsair throwing in their hat into the custom keyboard game.

https://www.corsair.com/ca/en/Categ...p/CH-9194014-NA

Cherry MX reds, 60% layout, swappable keycaps

$149 CAD

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

If it's built like some of their old stuff then it's probably worth it. Mouse lasted 7 years of daily use, headset lasted 4 or 5 and only died because the actual cable got damaged. Don't know about going 60% though.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Disharmony posted:

you're gonna spend half the cost of the board on millmax sockets alone so I'd say at that point just wait for the hotswap K2 to come back in stock.

hooah posted:

VIA's documentation is dogshit. But basically it's a software that allows you to reprogram your board on the fly, without having to deal with some of the clunkier steps of QMK such as compiling keymaps into a firmware that then has to be flashed to the board. Instead you get a nice, easy to use software where you click the key you want to program, and then select what you want that key to do instead. There's some knowledge required to use the more advanced features such as layers, and tapdance. That of course isn't at all documented =/

lordfrikk posted:

I would like to get some ideas on a custom build:
- hot-swappable PCB that supports QMK or other open firmware
- top notch build quality
- can use my Susuwatari keycaps, TKL, full-size or 75% (in order of preference), ANSI only
- thocky switches, Box Navies but quieter?

I could budge on anything but the build quality and using my key caps if there's a good reason.

I really like the look and build quality of Ramaworks keebs (who doesn't?) but they seem to have very limited stock and some weird layouts.

Full size is a tough ask in the custom scene. There's just not many. But you have a LOT of options in TKL and 75%. So many I don't even know where to begin.
I would say start by just perusing the IC/GB areas of Geekhack and see what tickles your fancy.

For a budget of $500, I think you're going to be fairly limited with MechMarket offerings. Most boards start out in group buy around that price and flip for double on /MM.

Gun to my head, "just give me a name" I'd say Satisfaction 75 and UTD 360 / OTD 356

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Mar 16, 2021

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Put together this today.

I wanted a keyboard for the racing simulator. Compact, backlit, BT, 2.4GHZ. Hot swap for easy maintenance and tailoring.

I grabbed an RK100. Threw some Glorious Pandas to try, and some Tai-Hao because the stock caps were the stupidest color considering it was BLUE BACKLIGHT ONLY and the caps weren't even shine through.

Before:

After:

A blue shine through set matches the blue LEDs much better. Shame the Tai Hao didn't have a R5 PGDN. But they have blanks for every row in the kit so it's no big deal.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

hooah posted:

How do you feel about low profile keycaps and a lack of a num row?
The group buy for this thing just went live: https://lowprokb.ca/products/corne-ish-zen-2?variant=37694331977892

edit:
I'm finding myself tempted by this thing, even though I don't like the lacking a numrow. Something about the design is appealing.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Mar 16, 2021

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

hooah posted:

Fair. I got the site I bought mine from to assemble it for me.

If you live in the EU (they might ship elsewhere I dunno) check out https://falba.tech/

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Re: the discussion on Hall effect switches last week, I thought this seemed interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpKBC1tWXws

e: nvm, it's just some very basic stuff, I thought he'd go into more details but I guess that'll be in the actual keyboard review.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 17, 2021

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I'm looking at putting together my first keyboard. I'm looking at the gk64x here:

https://smile.amazon.com/swappable-...084&sr=8-6&th=1

Does anyone have experience with this kit? If so, is it a good first hot swappable keyboard? I have a few mech keyboards with cherry blues and I'm currently typing on a model m. I'm new to the hot swappable keyboards though.

I was thinking about getting kailh navy or jade switches to go with this board from novelkeys:

https://novelkeys.xyz/products/novelkeys-x-kailh-box-thick-clicks

Would they work with that board? I know I need to get keycaps too but I haven't decided which ones to get yet.

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

mariooncrack posted:

I'm looking at putting together my first keyboard. I'm looking at the gk64x here:

Does anyone have experience with this kit? If so, is it a good first hot swappable keyboard? I have a few mech keyboards with cherry blues and I'm currently typing on a model m. I'm new to the hot swappable keyboards though.

I was thinking about getting kailh navy or jade switches to go with this board from novelkeys:

Would they work with that board? I know I need to get keycaps too but I haven't decided which ones to get yet.

I have a GK61X with the option to go split spacebar with box navies and some cheap keycaps I threw together for fun. Turned out to be a decent build. The hot swap is decent. Sounds good, spacebar is a little thocky that's about it. Was a real easy build.

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

mariooncrack posted:

If it’s your first board I’d get a sampler of navy and jade (and some others). Jade especially, it’s a LOT of click. Cheaper than committing to an entire board worth of switches

Nulldevice
Jun 17, 2006
Toilet Rascal

Opioid posted:

If it’s your first board I’d get a sampler of navy and jade (and some others). Jade especially, it’s a LOT of click. Cheaper than committing to an entire board worth of switches

This is also a good idea. I have a board full of Jades and a board full of Navies and I like them both. Good to get a sampler to see which is a better feel for you.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Opioid posted:

Nulldevice posted:

This is also a good idea. I have a board full of Jades and a board full of Navies and I like them both. Good to get a sampler to see which is a better feel for you.

That's a good idea. Found a Kailh Box Switch tester for $20 and I'm going to pick that up first. I was curios about some other switches too.

Opioid, what do you mean when you say Jade is a lot of click? Like it's loud?

mariooncrack fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Mar 18, 2021

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
All of the clicky box switches are pretty loud but I wouldn't say they're extreme in that regard. However both jades and navies are extremely tactile, in the sense that they have a very sharp break in the force curve. You press them, they go down maybe a millimeter and then they just stop and absolutely nothing happens until you press hard enough and then suddenly all resistance gives way. Some people really love this, others don't. If you're used to Cherry switches and their very mushy tactility I imagine it can be quite a jarring transition. Jades and navies have the same click bar so in theory the tactile break should be the same in both of them, but navies have a heavier weighting (stiffer return spring) so they're heavier to type on, but for some reason the tactile break feels a little bit mushier on them than on the jades. YMMV.

For me personally navies are too heavy, they get exhausting pretty quickly. For typing I'd prefer jades but since I also do quite a bit of gaming I've decided to keep the box whites that came with this board instead (same weighting as jades but a thinner click bar, so the tactile break is softer).

For comparison here's force curves for MX blues and box jades.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 18, 2021

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Yeah, the box whites are really nice, and probably cheaper than a bunch of jades/navies.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Full size is a tough ask in the custom scene. There's just not many. But you have a LOT of options in TKL and 75%. So many I don't even know where to begin.
I would say start by just perusing the IC/GB areas of Geekhack and see what tickles your fancy.

For a budget of $500, I think you're going to be fairly limited with MechMarket offerings. Most boards start out in group buy around that price and flip for double on /MM.

Gun to my head, "just give me a name" I'd say Satisfaction 75 and UTD 360 / OTD 356

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it!

Satisfaction 75 looks pretty good though the rotary and OLED screen are not something I want on a keyboard. Do you know how much was it for when the GB was open?

I couldn't find anything on UTD 360 except imgur albums and reddit posts and researching the OTD 356 it looks more like a myth rather than something I could buy in the foreseeable future, though it seems like just the thing I'd want when it comes to build quality.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it!

Satisfaction 75 looks pretty good though the rotary and OLED screen are not something I want on a keyboard. Do you know how much was it for when the GB was open?

I couldn't find anything on UTD 360 except imgur albums and reddit posts and researching the OTD 356 it looks more like a myth rather than something I could buy in the foreseeable future, though it seems like just the thing I'd want when it comes to build quality.

Kind of a good thing that you don't like the Sat 75, tbh, because it is a very hyped board and pretty much impossible to get. At this point, your only real option is to buy one on Mechmarket for $1k+. Their original price in the GB was $435.

The UTD is a really interesting option, and, full disclosure, I have one coming sometime in May. The UTD is a clone of the OTD 356 CL.

The OTD boards were really well designed and, in most cases, were designed to be used with a specific switch type (C for 'Clicky', 'L' for Linear denoted in the name) and for very consistent feel and acoustics across the whole board. Most boards nowadays aren't really made with that kind of detail in mind. I haven't personally used one, but a lot of people that are pretty deep in the hobby regard them as some of the best boards ever made, despite being made over a decade ago.

The designers of the UTD are very upfront about it being a clone, and tried to keep it as close to the OTD 356 CL as possible, while still being recognizable as a clone.
Most of the markings on the UTD still say 'OTD' but there is an etched logo on the inside that says 'UTD' to show that it is a UTD and not an authentic OTD. Otherwise, the board is nearly identical, aside from slightly different brass quality on the weight, and the bottom interior bezels are a little bit bigger on the UTD.

Some people in the hobby are really against clones, some people are fine with them. Personally, I'm very excited about UTD -- and the upcoming UTD Mini -- because
1.) The boards haven't been made for years, and the designer hasn't been heard from in many years as well, so the UTD isn't really taking any money out of the designer's pocket
2.) The UTD is clearly marked as a UTD and not a 1:1 copy.
3.) An authentic OTD sells for $5k+ if you can even find someone willing to sell one. Most owners of them really do not want to give them up.

If you're interested in what an OTD 356 CL sounds like, there's a great typing test video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz_1h8yH7Ds

Notice how you don't really hear the 'pop' on the spacebar like most other boards. The board, plate, and PCB were all designed to make every key as consistent to each other as possible. The UTD sounds and feels nearly identical.

Very important: the UTD / OTD 356 CL does NOT come with a Winkey or Function Key. That design will not change. So if that's a deal breaker, you'll want to look elsewhere.

Thankfully, there's someone organizing a group buy to bring UTDs to folks outside of China. Cost is $350 with an expected delivery date of August. You can find more info on his Reddit post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/m6hlk4/gb_utd_360c_with_a_north_america_vendor_now/

Opioid
Jul 3, 2008

<3 Blood Type ARRRRR

mariooncrack posted:

That's a good idea. Found a Kailh Box Switch tester for $20 and I'm going to pick that up first. I was curios about some other switches too.

Opioid, what do you mean when you say Jade is a lot of click? Like it's loud?

Way better summary than I could write above. I got a sampler pack thinking I might like clicky but changed my mind after trying.
I ended up going Zilents for the board and used the Box Jade for my Esc key and I still dislike when I have to push Esc.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
The gf needs a new keeb. something between 65% and 75%, but preferably shorter than a tkl for ergonomics. I was considering a keychron k2, but my roommate has one, and I found the case to be a bit too tall, forcing one to bend the wrists. Also the gateron browns it had installed felt squishy—when i first felt them, i figured they were cherry reds, and I was shocked to discover an ostensibly ‘tactile’ switch.

She types very fast and hard for grad school, and doesn’t want to bother her zoom classmates with noisy blue switches. she doesn’t need anything fancy: wireless, backlighting, etc are totally optional. but are there any prebuilt boards under 150 that come with nicer tactile switches than gateron/cherry browns?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Head Bee Guy posted:

The gf needs a new keeb. something between 65% and 75%, but preferably shorter than a tkl for ergonomics. I was considering a keychron k2, but my roommate has one, and I found the case to be a bit too tall, forcing one to bend the wrists. Also the gateron browns it had installed felt squishy—when i first felt them, i figured they were cherry reds, and I was shocked to discover an ostensibly ‘tactile’ switch.

She types very fast and hard for grad school, and doesn’t want to bother her zoom classmates with noisy blue switches. she doesn’t need anything fancy: wireless, backlighting, etc are totally optional. but are there any prebuilt boards under 150 that come with nicer tactile switches than gateron/cherry browns?

Matias Mini Quiet Pro? The switches are called "quiet click" which is bizarre because they're tactile and have no clicker element at all. They're Alps clones, so quite nice and sharp tactility (although not Kailh box level), but they're dampened so they're reasonably quiet. I used a board with these switches in an open office setting for two years and nobody minded (it was probably quieter than most low profile scissor switch boards, honestly). It's an excellent typists' board, probably the second best I've used after the Apple Extended Keyboard (which is very loud, very big, very old and very expensive).

Given what you said about a tall case though maybe you'd really want a low profile board, but I have never tried any low profile tactile switches and I'm not sure if there even are any really good ones.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 18, 2021

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

I just got a Matias Quiet Pro for my partner, I'd just add that they have sharp tactility in contrast to Cherry switches, but not in the grand scheme of things, if that's a thing that matters. They feel much closer to browns than something like zealios to me. Definitely reasonably quiet though!

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

I'd probably see if you can get something like a GMMK Mini or GMMK TKL barebones, and then going and getting some Boba U4 Silent switches. Excellent tactility, but very quiet.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Gearman posted:

Kind of a good thing that you don't like the Sat 75, tbh, because it is a very hyped board and pretty much impossible to get. At this point, your only real option is to buy one on Mechmarket for $1k+. Their original price in the GB was $435.

The UTD is a really interesting option, and, full disclosure, I have one coming sometime in May. The UTD is a clone of the OTD 356 CL.

The OTD boards were really well designed and, in most cases, were designed to be used with a specific switch type (C for 'Clicky', 'L' for Linear denoted in the name) and for very consistent feel and acoustics across the whole board. Most boards nowadays aren't really made with that kind of detail in mind. I haven't personally used one, but a lot of people that are pretty deep in the hobby regard them as some of the best boards ever made, despite being made over a decade ago.

The designers of the UTD are very upfront about it being a clone, and tried to keep it as close to the OTD 356 CL as possible, while still being recognizable as a clone.
Most of the markings on the UTD still say 'OTD' but there is an etched logo on the inside that says 'UTD' to show that it is a UTD and not an authentic OTD. Otherwise, the board is nearly identical, aside from slightly different brass quality on the weight, and the bottom interior bezels are a little bit bigger on the UTD.

Some people in the hobby are really against clones, some people are fine with them. Personally, I'm very excited about UTD -- and the upcoming UTD Mini -- because
1.) The boards haven't been made for years, and the designer hasn't been heard from in many years as well, so the UTD isn't really taking any money out of the designer's pocket
2.) The UTD is clearly marked as a UTD and not a 1:1 copy.
3.) An authentic OTD sells for $5k+ if you can even find someone willing to sell one. Most owners of them really do not want to give them up.

If you're interested in what an OTD 356 CL sounds like, there's a great typing test video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz_1h8yH7Ds

Notice how you don't really hear the 'pop' on the spacebar like most other boards. The board, plate, and PCB were all designed to make every key as consistent to each other as possible. The UTD sounds and feels nearly identical.

Very important: the UTD / OTD 356 CL does NOT come with a Winkey or Function Key. That design will not change. So if that's a deal breaker, you'll want to look elsewhere.

Thankfully, there's someone organizing a group buy to bring UTDs to folks outside of China. Cost is $350 with an expected delivery date of August. You can find more info on his Reddit post here: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/m6hlk4/gb_utd_360c_with_a_north_america_vendor_now/

Thank you very much for the write-up!

The UTD 356 does sound pretty much perfect (especially loving the sound) except for the Windows key missing but I could probably get over that. But I'm not based in the US so the GB is a no go for me. I have someone in China who could buy it for me there, though. Is it buyable in China or is it only manufactured there via the GB?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

Thank you very much for the write-up!

The UTD 356 does sound pretty much perfect (especially loving the sound) except for the Windows key missing but I could probably get over that. But I'm not based in the US so the GB is a no go for me. I have someone in China who could buy it for me there, though. Is it buyable in China or is it only manufactured there via the GB?

Yep, if you have a friend in China, or use a service like Wegobuy, or use something like Taobao Direct, you can order one right now and it'll ship some time in May. The Taobao link is here for it:

https://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?id=610016432295&spm=1101.1101.N.N.c035378

The silver is 'Apple Silver' and the black is about as dark as you'd expect for an anodized black. The link is to the shop that has run multiple Group Buys for the UTD already, so it's a pretty safe bet that you're actually going to get one if you order from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Who has the best software? Ideally, I'd like to be able to remap almost any key.