Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Seth
Gloria
Adelle
Elvis
View Results

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Gladys is basically awful, but then finds out she's actually been killing a bunch of real people and immediately pivots, so it's like... I guess her real sin was being incredibly stupid, like, good lord.

I think towards they actually mention that her parents actually got judgmented to death too, and Helio someone maneuvered her into blaming this on fairies. It also seems like Rimedahl must have been doing this for quite a while, so it's weird that nobody else has notice that Rimedahl is loving insane. I can't help noticing that Rimedahl contributes nothing to the final battle except the dragon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Something feels tonally strange about how loving awful the villains are in most of the earlier chapters (and maybe latter ones too, but I'm only at Chapter 4). Like the bad guys do stuff that is disturbingly brutal in a way that sort of clashes with a lot of the rest of the game's tone.

Like in chapter 3 Gladys is not even remotely a sympathetic figure; she's basically like a Sonderkommando except arguably worse.

Granted, BD1 also had some weirdness with various Asterisk bosses being awful pieces of poo poo and then suddenly being good during the loops, but I don't remember much on the level of "pile of corpses who a little girl slit the throats of to make red paint" (except for maybe the forest village stuff with the fairies).

BD1 had some really weird stuff with the Red Mage didn’t it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah he was basically committing mass date rape.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ytlaya posted:

Something feels tonally strange about how loving awful the villains are in most of the earlier chapters (and maybe latter ones too, but I'm only at Chapter 4). Like the bad guys do stuff that is disturbingly brutal in a way that sort of clashes with a lot of the rest of the game's tone.

Like in chapter 3 Gladys is not even remotely a sympathetic figure; she's basically like a Sonderkommando except arguably worse.

Granted, BD1 also had some weirdness with various Asterisk bosses being awful pieces of poo poo and then suddenly being good during the loops, but I don't remember much on the level of "pile of corpses who a little girl slit the throats of to make red paint" (except for maybe the forest village stuff with the fairies).

Well in chapter 3, she gets what she deserves, whaddya want?

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
"ending" spoilers I can't help but compare this to Final Fantasy X, jeez

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Ytlaya posted:

You know who was a sympathetic character after that chapter ends? Galahad. Talk about a dark turn of events for him. I'm fine with evil characters getting what they deserved and not always having "oh I was mislead all is well" as some sort of weird cop-out. Sometimes you've done evil poo poo and you get what you deserve.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Yeah he was using a love potion that made women want to have sex with him it was super hosed up.

Tbh I don’t remember much else about the overall plot of Bravely Default except that I wanted to see what would happen if I kept praying when Airy said to stop and was very surprised by the result. Also I don’t even remember Asterisks being a thing in the first game...

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Yeah he was using a love potion that made women want to have sex with him it was super hosed up.

Tbh I don’t remember much else about the overall plot of Bravely Default except that I wanted to see what would happen if I kept praying when Airy said to stop and was very surprised by the result. Also I don’t even remember Asterisks being a thing in the first game...

They were extremely a thing. They were made by Yulyana as a way to prevent the Crystal Orthodoxy from using the job giving nature of the crystals to make a profit.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

I think one of the big reasons why everything feels tonally off is because of how inconsistent they are about the characters.

Some of the characters it's implied that the asterisks are what corrupted them, others are mind-controlled and others are just pieces of poo poo. In the prior two games the characters were the asterisks, and so it was more about the character themselves than just the asterisks they hold. The evil or bad characters all end up killed and their actions are almost immediately forgotten so I was halfway expecting another loop scenario to explore those characters again and their motivations but, nope, they're just dead dead. Even the first big bad Adam just ends up dying off unceremoniously and then I guess we're on good terms with Holograd now?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
BD1 had a pretty consistent situation where as you progressed further the asterisk holders became nicer and nicer until they were tolerable or downright lovable.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ytlaya posted:

Yeah this was also a thing in Default and Bravely Second. There's this incredible strain of the villains doing absolutely horrific things and then the second the party beats them they verge into sympathetic comedy relief in an incredible jarring way.

Like the Fairy forest in 1 where you literally saw two little girls beat each other to death on screen.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Zore posted:

Yeah this was also a thing in Default and Bravely Second. There's this incredible strain of the villains doing absolutely horrific things and then the second the party beats them they verge into sympathetic comedy relief in an incredible jarring way.

Like the Fairy forest in 1 where you literally saw two little girls beat each other to death on screen.

Not really in BD1.

In BD1 you brutally murder the person that does that. (And her entire family). By the time Edea meets her dad she's basically near full breakdown over all the friends she's killed.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

No Mods No Masters posted:

Make sure you do the sidequest from the shieldbearer guy in rimedahl for a coda to the gladys story, if you haven't already. I was a little surprised by how they navigated the issues with that character there. Not to say it worked per se but it was a kind of interesting attempt

That's actually part of what prompted my post. I don't think that her parents being killed is even remotely a justification for actively executing countless innocent people, many of whom literally had family members pleading for them and what have you.

Natural 20 posted:

Not really in BD1.

In BD1 you brutally murder the person that does that. (And her entire family). By the time Edea meets her dad she's basically near full breakdown over all the friends she's killed.

Speaking of this, IMO it's unacceptable for BD2 to introduce all these horrific pieces of poo poo and then repeatedly deny the player the opportunity to kill them. Castor falls off a cliff, insane Pictomancer girl dies in a cave-in (this one is the worst - literally murdered the child of the people accompanying the party), Helios dies by dragon (this one isn't as bad since the dragon has more personal claim to murdering Helios than the party), and Gladys dies by Helios.

Natural 20 posted:

Not really in BD1.

Yeah, Edea in general goes a long way towards making the BD1 plot compelling.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I love BD1 but there are definitely things about the characterization that bothers me. Ringabel's womanizer shtick is unfunny and misogynistic, the game's got the "old wise man is a huge sex creep" trope, the whole Red Mage situation... I liked that BD2 avoided these things.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Christ almighty Yulyana's dialogue about Agnes.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FZeroRacer posted:

I think one of the big reasons why everything feels tonally off is because of how inconsistent they are about the characters.

Some of the characters it's implied that the asterisks are what corrupted them, others are mind-controlled and others are just pieces of poo poo. In the prior two games the characters were the asterisks, and so it was more about the character themselves than just the asterisks they hold. The evil or bad characters all end up killed and their actions are almost immediately forgotten so I was halfway expecting another loop scenario to explore those characters again and their motivations but, nope, they're just dead dead. Even the first big bad Adam just ends up dying off unceremoniously and then I guess we're on good terms with Holograd now?

I was really, really hoping they would play up the angle of the asterisks corrupting people and that the twist would be something along the lines of how we slowly would become the bad guys as the asterisks corrupt us and give us ever more flimsy excuses to flex our newfound power, but no, that never happens.

Rand Brittain posted:

Gladys is basically awful, but then finds out she's actually been killing a bunch of real people and immediately pivots, so it's like... I guess her real sin was being incredibly stupid, like, good lord.

I think towards they actually mention that her parents actually got judgmented to death too, and Helio someone maneuvered her into blaming this on fairies. It also seems like Rimedahl must have been doing this for quite a while, so it's weird that nobody else has notice that Rimedahl is loving insane. I can't help noticing that Rimedahl contributes nothing to the final battle except the dragon.

I like the idea that she started down the path of redemption, but was then killed (which itself was hilarious because the party could have cured her with a snap of their fingers). It was somewhat refreshing to see that she didn't get a full redemption arc, and that the feelings of the townsfolk towards her were somewhat complicated in the end.

LiefKatano
Aug 31, 2018

I swear, by my sword and capote, that I will once again prove victorious!!
Dag and Selene's Do-Gooder Adventures are the best part of the game don't @ me.

It is kind of weird that there's an implication that the asterisks corrupt people (Dag and Selene are probably the more subtle examples; Castor is almost explicitly corrupted by the berserker asterisk, while Roddy, Lily, and Galahad seem to have their mind control caused by the Asterisks) but we have our party who... isn't affected by them at all.

I guess you could say Adelle's sister, like... hexed them or whatever, but then that's still a huge question mark of why would she do that? what corrupted her?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

LiefKatano posted:

Dag and Selene's Do-Gooder Adventures are the best part of the game don't @ me.

It is kind of weird that there's an implication that the asterisks corrupt people (Dag and Selene are probably the more subtle examples; Castor is almost explicitly corrupted by the berserker asterisk, while Roddy, Lily, and Galahad seem to have their mind control caused by the Asterisks) but we have our party who... isn't affected by them at all.

I guess you could say Adelle's sister, like... hexed them or whatever, but then that's still a huge question mark of why would she do that? what corrupted her?

All those other people are not heroes of light

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

All those other people are not heroes of light
To be fair, for most of the game neither is the rest of your team until the spooky, ominous living crystals deem you to be a hero of light.

Even then it's also inconsistent because Anihal, Glenn and Lonsdale are all fine. It seemed like it was going to be a plot point that the asterisks were evil (which would've led nicely into why the Night's Nexus became a thing) but it was just dropped.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I'm not even sure how the asterisk chain of possession worked. Did somebody just hand Folie four asterisks at some point and said, 'hey, do whatever you want with these'? Like, to some degree it makes sense that Edna was just handing them out like candy to the worst people she could find but it seems like they all also got 3~ bonus asterisks to hand to their minions, even Folie who didn't actually have any minions.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

FZeroRacer posted:

Even then it's also inconsistent because Anihal, Glenn and Lonsdale are all fine. It seemed like it was going to be a plot point that the asterisks were evil (which would've led nicely into why the Night's Nexus became a thing) but it was just dropped.

Of course, Glenn got his asterisk from Lady Emma, not from Edna, so it makes sense that he could avoid any whammy there might or might not have been.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I don’t think the Wystwald people were corrupted by the asterisks, they were mind controlled by the paintings they got alongside the asterisks

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't think there's any indication that any Asterisk has ever corrupted anyone except the Berserker which didn't corrupt him so much as he used its skill to go berserk and lose himself in mindless rage (which you can also use once you get it).

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Talking about this stuff actually makes me want to play the original BD again. It's been a very long time since I last played it (not since very soon after its NA release), so I only remember the broad strokes of the plot. I think there's a JP voices option so it might be neat to try that out.

Dirk the Average posted:

I was really, really hoping they would play up the angle of the asterisks corrupting people and that the twist would be something along the lines of how we slowly would become the bad guys as the asterisks corrupt us and give us ever more flimsy excuses to flex our newfound power, but no, that never happens.

Oh man, now that you mention this that would have been a really cool plot-twist.

Dirk the Average posted:

I like the idea that she started down the path of redemption, but was then killed (which itself was hilarious because the party could have cured her with a snap of their fingers). It was somewhat refreshing to see that she didn't get a full redemption arc, and that the feelings of the townsfolk towards her were somewhat complicated in the end.

I'm pretty sure that things like curing spells are nearly always supposed to be viewed as some sort of abstraction where the healing is just restoring characters' energy and healing minor wounds. It's why characters are "knocked out" instead of killed.

thetoughestbean posted:

I don’t think the Wystwald people were corrupted by the asterisks, they were mind controlled by the paintings they got alongside the asterisks

Yeah, this is definitely the case. The asterisks weren't the cause in that situation.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Alright, I’m beginning to hate my party as of late chapter 1. Any advice on good combos?

MC: Monk/Vanguard, beat poo poo up with Attack or Heroics
Gloria: Beastmaster/White Mage, spear things and unleash monsters, heal otherwise
Elvis: Bard/Black Mage, mostly Singing right now cause Bard’s MATK kinda sucks
Gloria: Vanguard/Monk, same as MC

And yes, I’m fighting Bernard.

I have found surprisingly few job combos so far. I actually feel underpowered instead of overpowered like I usually do in BD.

Edit: the more thinking I do, the more I realize that Vanguard is actually pretty crappy.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Mar 16, 2021

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Also why the gently caress does optimize keep putting a spear in my bard’s hands? Why? Why?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I was reading a review that criticized the game’s obsession with grinding but tbh I got everyone to lv 12 Freelancer in under an hour using chain battles and haven’t needed to grind since.

Good lord. What chapter?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 16, 2021

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

There's a spot in the first zone near the beach where, if you've leveled up enough that the enemies near there will run away from you (so like, 7 or 8?), you can wrangle like 8 or 9 encounters into a little corner and then pop a monster bait and fight them. You'll get like 1200~ JP from the whole thing. Give it a few minutes for the bait to wear off and mobs to repop and you can max out a job in about 20 minutes or so.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Holy poo poo.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Safari Disco Lion posted:

There's a spot in the first zone near the beach where, if you've leveled up enough that the enemies near there will run away from you (so like, 7 or 8?), you can wrangle like 8 or 9 encounters into a little corner and then pop a monster bait and fight them. You'll get like 1200~ JP from the whole thing. Give it a few minutes for the bait to wear off and mobs to repop and you can max out a job in about 20 minutes or so.

Can you post where

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

This video shows it off. Normally I'd find it kind of cheesey especially that realy, but honestly the game feels balanced around you maxing out tons of classes on every character the whole time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I’ve mentioned that exact grinding method multiple times...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:cripes: okay game whatever you say

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Ytlaya posted:

I'm pretty sure that things like curing spells are nearly always supposed to be viewed as some sort of abstraction where the healing is just restoring characters' energy and healing minor wounds. It's why characters are "knocked out" instead of killed.

I know, but it's something I gripe about whenever an RPG allows for repeated resurrections and strong healing spells. In FF4, for instance, there are some times where characters actually cast healing spells outside of battle as part of the narrative. When those spells fail, it makes sense and is explained in the story.

There are plenty of ways to make a death "stick" in an RPG, and it feels like really lazy writing when that's not addressed. Death by a random mook that the party can massacre by the dozens is something that is both distressingly common and really silly.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like you could do some interesting things with combining Shieldmaster and either Vanguard or Swordmaster (or that other skill some job has that give a party member aggro) and using the "if enemies attack you, you drain 1BP from them with the counterattack" skill.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Man these bosses in the MusaTemple are kinda ridiculous for as simple they are as a whole. I've done just the Wind and Fire rooms so far and i feel like the enemies/mechanics were essentially the same but they just do a poo poo ton of damage regardless.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Your Computer posted:

I love BD1 but there are definitely things about the characterization that bothers me. Ringabel's womanizer shtick is unfunny and misogynistic, the game's got the "old wise man is a huge sex creep" trope, the whole Red Mage situation... I liked that BD2 avoided these things.

Safari Disco Lion posted:

Christ almighty Yulyana's dialogue about Agnes.

But hey! After all that you get to dress Agnes and Edea in their skimpy outfits all the time!

Yulyana might be the worst part of BD1. At least the Red Mage you get to kill in multiple timelines.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I've been grinding Leanan Sithe or whatever it's called because it's way way way less effort. You get 200 JP for a monster you can kill in a turn (I'm level 30) so I just run in and out doing that. I'm at Ch 3 and I don't have to grind at all I've just unlocked a bunch of stuff I've been ignoring and I wanted to catch up

All the Specialty 2 abilities are so good but I feel like it's such a waste to not be gaining JP on something else, I made Gloria the "Healer/Support" and she's already maxed White Mage, Freelancer, Salvemaker, Beastmaster and I'm just running out of things I could concievably use on a healer because I can never take WHM off of her

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I'm drawing up on the end of the game now, had a stab at the real Night's Nexus fight last night but got destroyed by the second phase. Overall, I don't know, the difficulty of this game has been all over the place. Normal battles haven't mattered in a long time (Godspeed Strike is just a broken ability, especially with someone with Spiritmaster as a subjob with BP Discount and Devotion to back them up - like I don't even know why you'd keep any spellcaster around when that ability exists). But some of the later bosses are just piles of bullshit counterattacks for mundane things (like daring to buff your party). I guess it's my fault for going for such a one-trick pony route, though... but then again, the way I actually beat the aforementioned bosses is by just not bothering with anything fancy and just spamming that ability even harder, so go figure.

I have to say, though... this game has disappointed me a bit. Bravely Default was always kind of a nice return to the simpler times of cookie cutter JRPGs, which I enjoyed in the first two games, but this time it's a little too much cookie cutter for my tastes. There's no complexity to the story, the game feels like it's just ticking boxes on a scorecard as it moves you towards the next Asterisk. I kept expecting some kind of twist akin to what the first two games did, and I assume there's still something to go (having been spoiled on what the last Asterisk is), but at the same time the game feels like it's really almost over. Like, there can't be that many hours of content left to go. Certainly not enough to flesh the story out much further.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Mar 16, 2021

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

i got godspeed strike and it kinda broke the game balance and i havent played since, its making everything trivial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So I unlocked a job that has Sub Job BP Saver

I haven't gotten the skill yet but... this means 1BP skills are free? Aren't there 1 BP skills that give your party members BP? Also 1BP Skills that do loads of damage?

This seems really good

I'm in Chapter 3 at the moment and really enjoying how it feels my job combos are clicking but there is a LOT of dungeons and combat. Like if you do not want to actively engage in difficult JRPG combat do not play this game. I take a lot of breaks

Reducing 1bp skills to 0bp just means you won't be using an extra bp on top of the one for your turn. So you can bump someone else up to 3bp by braving 3 times but they still results in that character being at -3