Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Do you think he has good days too, or Visiolways that cranky?
Probably always that cranky, but do you really think he has a lot of power? Point to where he is on the org chart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

SyNack Sassimov posted:

Do you think he has good days too, or Visiolways that cranky?

pretty much always. guy’s got a real onenote personality. always yammering about some poo poo

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Weedle posted:

pretty much always. guy’s got a real onenote personality. always yammering about some poo poo

Better to listen to him than his Office Assistant.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I hope he doesn't have a sensitive level of access

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Microsoft.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Excel gets a bad rap, but it's pretty much your only option if you need to record events that occurred on Feb 29 1900.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So the Free Software Foundation is just utterly determined to make themselves even more irrelevant and throw away whatever goodwill they had left, huh

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2021/03/richard-stallman-returns-to-fsf-18-months-after-controversial-rape-comments/

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
FSF is probably a bunch of grouchy old men at this point complaining about "the times" and "you can't say anything anymore"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Stallman's main importance in this day and age is as a cautionary tale for how a certain type of weird tech guy can end up if they're allowed to stay in a bubble never have to get a real job where normal people can call them on their bullshit.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is he the guy that ate something he picked out of his toe?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Thanks Ants posted:

Is he the guy that ate something he picked out of his toe?

Yes.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Learning about comp sci history in school is real weird when you realize that everyone you're learning about is still alive and kicking.

Stallman's one of those people where he seemed like a gigantic goober even in the history books and there's really no way to hide it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

ESR > RMS

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Excel gets a bad rap, but it's pretty much your only option if you need to record events that occurred on Feb 29 1900.

This joke is worth roughly 5 pages of unfunny nonsense*.

*Any/all of my posts.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

at least OSI threw ESR out, and successfully, over a decade after FSF threw out RMS and failed to make it stick

I have been told by someone who has put on both ESR and RMS as speakers that Open Source is better than Free Software because libertarians wash

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

"well at least rms isn't as bad as reiser!!"

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
tee he he - It's been a while since I've had one of these

:( Urgent problem fix asap we have logged this 3 times!!!
:) We've had nothing through where have you logged it
:( Names FM System
:) Oh - that goes to maintenance, you need to *follow these steps*
:( We've done that and it's still not fixed raaa!!!
:) *asks tech* have we had a fault for this? - nope... ok, back to :( can you give me the reference for this issue please?
:( Yes it's 1234
:) that was raised on 22/10/20 and closed 23/10/20 so you need to log it please,

I thought that was going to be it, but as I type this post the manager in the cc trail has replied and said "should 1234 have been closed as how it wasn't actioned" (interesting grammar)
I pointed out the dates and said it's probably just happened again or you are telling me the phone has been off for 5 months haha
To be fair, they've just replied and said missed the October bit but it still made me smile

stevewm
May 10, 2005
COO's Surface Book 1 finally poo poo the bed earlier today.. The battery in the tablet part just died. Apparently when this happens it locks the machine to 400Mhz. I thought some driver or something went to poo poo, but found out thanks to a little utility called ThrottleStop it was power limiting due to thinking the battery was missing.

Also, the battery indicator went stupid at the same time:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Renegret posted:

Learning about comp sci history in school is real weird when you realize that everyone you're learning about is still alive and kicking.
Alan Turing's dead!

(and Douglas Engelbart, who actually lived to be 88 and did not commit suicide)

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Alan Turing's dead!

(and Douglas Engelbart, who actually lived to be 88 and did not commit suicide)

Conway died of corona only a year ago

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Why waste money on ESD bags when you could just use static cling wrap. They both have static in the name so surely they’re equivalent. :pseudo:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SSO is down ! Happy Friday !

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

stevewm posted:

COO's Surface Book 1 finally poo poo the bed earlier today.. The battery in the tablet part just died. Apparently when this happens it locks the machine to 400Mhz. I thought some driver or something went to poo poo, but found out thanks to a little utility called ThrottleStop it was power limiting due to thinking the battery was missing.

Also, the battery indicator went stupid at the same time:

We had a laptop at my old job do exactly the same behavior with 255% and 400mhz max clock

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I do enjoy it when we get laptops that have been booted out of active directory and can't be logged into since they have bitlocker enabled. I'm sure there's a way to crack into them but I'm fairly sure we don't have the capability right now

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If you have the capability someone else has the capability first

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

corgski posted:

Why waste money on ESD bags when you could just use static cling wrap. They both have static in the name so surely they’re equivalent. :pseudo:

seriously though, if you can get a gator clip on that with a ground strap to a ground when you open that it's actually not a bad idea.
Both yourself and the saran wrap.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

seriously though, if you can get a gator clip on that with a ground strap to a ground when you open that it's actually not a bad idea.
Both yourself and the saran wrap.

No point, just the static generated during packing and shipping in cling wrap is enough to fry a motherboard. The only way it could’ve been worse was if it was taped to an active TENS unit.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Buff Hardback posted:

We had a laptop at my old job do exactly the same behavior with 255% and 400mhz max clock

The worst part was trying to diagnose why it was running like poo poo... Using a machine locked at 400Mhz is not fun. Despite looking at Task Manager multiple times it took a bit before I realized it was locked to .4Ghz.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

A ticket came in. From the network and server admin team.

"Please replace $user's docking station. They are experiencing account lockouts, but only when they are on site and docked. To eliminate the docking station as the cause of the lockouts, as expressed by the user, please swap out their docking station for a new one."

WAT

Just...WAT

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Guessing their caps lock key is turned on with the keyboard they have connected to their dock. Or number pad key is not turned on.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Did they configure their computer to go to screensaver while docked but not while undocked? (and have to log back in after screensaver)

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

GreenNight posted:

Guessing their caps lock key is turned on with the keyboard they have connected to their dock. Or number pad key is not turned on.

I'm always going to assume a Layer 8 issue of some kind. Capslock, roaming space, something.

Still. WAT.

Kurieg posted:

Did they configure their computer to go to screensaver while docked but not while undocked? (and have to log back in after screensaver)

Screen lock and screensaver is configured by GPO to lock and go blank after I think 5 minutes of inactivity.

I'm going to stop by their desk tomorrow and see what's up. Again, just, WAT. How do you make the leap from "Only happens when I am in the office using the dock" to blaming the dock that doesn't store or modify passwords in any way?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

dragonshardz posted:

I'm always going to assume a Layer 8 issue of some kind. Capslock, roaming space, something.

Still. WAT.

Screen lock and screensaver is configured by GPO to lock and go blank after I think 5 minutes of inactivity.

I'm going to stop by their desk tomorrow and see what's up. Again, just, WAT. How do you make the leap from "Only happens when I am in the office using the dock" to blaming the dock that doesn't store or modify passwords in any way?

lack of understanding of how computers work is sadly common

even among professionals

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

dragonshardz posted:

A ticket came in. From the network and server admin team.

"Please replace $user's docking station. They are experiencing account lockouts, but only when they are on site and docked. To eliminate the docking station as the cause of the lockouts, as expressed by the user, please swap out their docking station for a new one."

WAT

Just...WAT

lol, I can feel the contempt from whomever wrote that ticket.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

wa27 posted:

lol, I can feel the contempt from whomever wrote that ticket.

Yeah, that read to me in a very "so they will shut up about it, please just replace the dock" tone.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
"Replace the docking station" is pretty common for "it's not the dock, but if you'll shut the gently caress up, I'll replace it" vernacular.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our new HP laptops require USB-C docks instead of the old side dock and of course now everyones docks are magically failing. Even with WFH, word gets out.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

GreenNight posted:

Our new HP laptops require USB-C docks instead of the old side dock and of course now everyones docks are magically failing. Even with WFH, word gets out.

The usb-c docks are garbage but hp makes a thunderbolt dock that is solid

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

The USB-C docks have gotten alot better since the G1. Just gotta make sure you firmware update it and the laptop you're connecting it to. Which is super easy to do thankfully.

We have Thunderbolt docks too for the zbooks, they're pricy. Alot more firmware upgrades for those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GreenNight posted:

I just love that my HP dock has a fan inside it which I get to hear running all the time, even when my laptop and the monitors connected to it are turned off!