Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

The QoL changes in BZ are really good, but I’ll never understand why they thought a game series called Subnautica needed hours of wandering around above sea level with a heat mechanic that’s functionally identical to oxygen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The recycler is a good addition to the game but you need it to keep your base small. You don't want to keep lockers full of titanium anymore when you can just store titanium ingots.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Tenzarin posted:

Below zero is just not as polished as the first game.

Goddamn, savage.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I dunno what they did from earlier versions but lead is somehow rarer than diamonds and uranium now.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Tenzarin posted:

I dunno what they did from earlier versions but lead is somehow rarer than diamonds and uranium now.
The more things change, the more they repeat history.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
It's because they excluded Galena, wasn't it?

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Tenzarin posted:

I used to think that too until I turned the highlight interactables setting on and realized the rocks they're in are just hard to see.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

So I just got gifted a copy of below zero and after playing it for a few hours, this is weird.

I really loved the original, but I can't say I'm a fan of having proper characters and cutscenes like this. Also everything seems waaaaaay smaller, and there's just an abundance of oxygen plants to basically handhold your way through the deep parts.

The weirdest thing is how incredibly early you get a bunch of huge qol blueprints and the materials for them compared to the first. Feels like I don't have to actually engage with a lot of the survival mechanics or build a number of bases because I'm always within a few minutes of my main, even at world's edge.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Below Zero isn't a survival game at all though. How can it be if there is someone talking to you the whole time and telling you where to go etc.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

Below Zero isn't a survival game at all though. How can it be if there isn't something trying to eat you the whole time.

Fixed.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
It sounds like it loses some of the blank slate charm of the original (silent unseen protagonist, close to zero personal backstory).

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Below Zero isn't a survival game at all though. How can it be if there is someone talking to you the whole time and telling you where to go etc.

the original Subnautica had this as well, except it was your PDA with lovely text-to-speech that constantly told you where to go and what to do

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I generally like the characterisation and dialogue in Below Zero. For me Robin is a generally likeable character and her interactions were enjoyably written. I appreciate that no longer having a silent protagonist might be disappointing to some people, but if you enjoy the core gameplay of the first game then give it a shot and see if you warm up to it.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Not having Robin loose her poo poo when getting attacked by a leviathan sucks though.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Leviathans attacking you can be enough of a jump scare for me without adding in surprise audio of a woman screaming. YMMV.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Tenzarin posted:

Now that most of the story is out I played through below zero again. I thought I could finish it but the invis wall stopped me in the end.

My biggest complaint is that they removed the cyclops from the game because people couldn't drive it and then they added a seatruck and made the game have even smaller areas underwater to explore. If someone couldn't drive the cyclops in subnauticas huge rear end caverns they are gonna have mega problems with the seatruck.

They removed the Cyclops?! Oh man, that is a major bummer. Operating and maintaining the Cyclops was one of my favorite things in Subnautica and I'd rate it as one of my favorite all time gaming moments.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Sneaking the Cyclops past Reaper and Ghost Leviathans was a genuine nerve-wracking moment. I essentially kept a base of 2 buildings to keep my water bottles supplied (and maybe an aquarium/moon pool?), almost everything else was aboard that big goofy bastard and losing it would’ve been catastrophic for my save.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
On my 2nd play through of the first one I took the cyclops out for one sub-900M dive to get the kyanite/sulphur for the prawn suit upgrades. Then left it wherever, who cares, garbage ship for jerks.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Man, imagine being so wrong about something, and then publicly posting about it

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

JawnV6 posted:

On my 2nd play through of the first one I took the cyclops out for one sub-900M dive to get the kyanite/sulphur for the prawn suit upgrades. Then left it wherever, who cares, garbage ship for jerks.

Quoting this so you can’t hide your shame.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

If anything I want a subnautica 2 cyclops to be even bigger, with one or two living quarters to decorate.

Having hit the invisible wall myself, I'm definitely not as down on BZ as I was but it still feels crazy small. The crystal caves were probably the first area I feel actually had that subnautica exploration feeling.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Serephina posted:

Goddamn, savage.

Without reading the spoiler review... isn't the game still not out? The only part of that review I could read was that it wasn't as polished... which uhh, the game isn't released yet. No poo poo, even if the expectation were not for the finished product to also lack polish for X years after release.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
I'll say it again: Cyclobs is a garbage ship, often piloted by jerks!

I feel the designers really nailed a sensation that it's Too Big for one person in a single-player game. Really strikes that feeling perfectly. I had one awkward save where I was underneath the crush depth, it took a few re-starts and scanning through the cameras and really using the ship like it was intended to pilot it in a tricky spot. That was sufficient experience for the Worst Ship. I'd genuinely consider skipping it were it not for the shield generator and the early Prawn mobility. I hate it, and do everything I can to avoid using it.

Khanstant posted:

Without reading the spoiler review... isn't the game still not out? The only part of that review I could read was that it wasn't as polished... which uhh, the game isn't released yet. No poo poo, even if the expectation were not for the finished product to also lack polish for X years after release.
They've sort of managed expectations that most of the gameplay and leadup to the invisible vestibule is complete? And I'd disagree with that, things like Recipe Pinning, single-source minerals, I assume the Control Room is good to have native? There are a lot of little game loops that got streamlined and it's more pleasant to play through the mid-game.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
I think the Cyclops would have felt better to use if there was more open ocean to use it in. Finding something out of in the deep dark past the normal borders could have been cool, but I guess there was already places that you had no real reason to ever visit.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Well, I don't think the first title had much change post-release other than bug patches etc, so a beta person's comments about the new game's final iteration before release having less polished gameplay/worldbuilding/mechanics should be taken at face value.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Serephina posted:

a beta person's comments

Had to read back a bit to see if we were talking about the cyclops hater or not.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I hated every single moment using the cyclops, and next time I replay the game I will just use the prawn in the final area, and have that zone actually be fun.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
You can grapple-arm the final fireball-spewing leviathan in the final zone with the prawn suit. Any of the cyclops folks have anything nearly that fun?

"Oooh, I can't see the walls, im big and slow and loud! I had to take hours to craft a zillion widgets to make it somewhat tolerable!"

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

JawnV6 posted:

Any of the cyclops folks have anything nearly that fun?

HONK

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The best part of the Cyclops is its voice.

Only downside is that I can't carry both the Prawn and the Seamoth at the same time.

Also, I have a shameful confession: I only just now realized that I can build more than one Prawn. For some reason, I've only ever made one of it in each playthrough. Next playthrough, I should consider having one for the lava zone and one for surface harvesting.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Cyclops was awesome, But completely and utterly failed by the terrain design. ”Hey all the biomes you Need to see from Now on out are caves, and visibility is zero, and there are only three entry points to said caves” was literally What happened to me minutes after I got the ship.

For one I did not enjoy the PLOT part of first subnautica like.. at all. Forcing the player to go through caves to find yet another facility, and deciding at that point to have the very helpful AI stop giving you direct coordinates was just lazy and dumb.

Switch out the caves and give all cyclops cameras a massive toggleable floodlight that extends the view distance wouldve made the end-game So.much.more fun.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I never took the cyclops deeper then the lost river. Yea you could take it down to the lava zone, but why? The prawn is much better there.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Because I finished the game before I found the grappling hook upgrade, that's why. Cyclops was fun as hell and really nailed the whole 'piloting a large vehicle' thing. It would have strongly benefited from having the map built around it however, such as places that could be a horizontal gauntlet of sharks and shooter-plants that the cylops could serenely trundle plast.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I sailed the oceans in my cyclops and flew out of it like a gundam to fight leviathans. Grappling hook op!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Serephina posted:

Well, I don't think the first title had much change post-release other than bug patches etc, so a beta person's comments about the new game's final iteration before release having less polished gameplay/worldbuilding/mechanics should be taken at face value.

Oh really, I was under the impression it changed a ton after launch, I played it long after I thought it had been out and didn't have any major bugs and the game was great so I thought they had improved it over time.

JawnV6 posted:

You can grapple-arm the final fireball-spewing leviathan in the final zone with the prawn suit. Any of the cyclops folks have anything nearly that fun?

"Oooh, I can't see the walls, im big and slow and loud! I had to take hours to craft a zillion widgets to make it somewhat tolerable!"

I didn't like the Prawn, I only used it cause I had to when I had to. I did build a base and a dock for my sub right outside that thing you spoiled. Oh, and I did briefly use it to get from my second Cyclops I used to get back to my sweet Cyclops, which I thought was trapped down there, but turns out I was able to get it back out safely, and also got to destroy my other one just to see.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I never took the cyclops deeper then the lost river. Yea you could take it down to the lava zone, but why? The prawn is much better there.

Didn't it take forever to walk there? I didn't really like driving the cyclops either but I thought that using it to carry a Prawn suit down to that crater above the lava zone was what you were "supposed" to do.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Moon Slayer posted:

Didn't it take forever to walk there? I didn't really like driving the cyclops either but I thought that using it to carry a Prawn suit down to that crater above the lava zone was what you were "supposed" to do.

The length varies rather dramatically with the hole you drop down into. The one in the Mountains/Bulb Zone is almost a straight drop to the magma castle once you trek a little down the length of the cave littered with reaper skeletons. Much shorter than the overall horizontal length of the other choices, but going this way means you'll miss the Research Facility, which you'd have to jump past the big hole inside the cave to be able to then walk a looooong way to, and back again, before you descend.

That aside, yes, it is possible to have a fairly short walk from surface to lava zone objectives. But it's also not that hard to fit the Cyclops down that first hole from the surface, then the second hole into the magma zone level except for the juvenile ghost leviathan circling above the second hole, of course.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
cyclops was a giant pain in the rear end to move around but i can see why some people liked it

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
I did like the cyclops but mainly to store all my poo poo and bring it around with me. You could set up a whole bunch of lockers in that one hallway part and carry pretty much everything relevant. It was kind tedious but it felt okay to me. Also planter boxes in the cabin part.

Only thing I disliked about it was the blueprint wasn’t actually completable (or possibly only via one wreck near the edge of the crater) if you only searched out the shipwrecks. It was the only blueprints I noticed that assumed you just pick that poo poo up off the ground. My big playthrough I tried to limit my blueprints to wrecks to make them that much more interesting, and i got the cyclops super late because of it.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Mar 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
My only sadnesses about the cyclops is you can't dock it with a base, you can't use fuel rods to power it, you can find the thermal generator upgrade for it and if you do find it it's super late, can't hold both the seamoth and the prawn.
The Cyclops is AMAZING, they got it all right aside from not being able to do something like construct a nuclear reactor in it.