Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Joann is mostly fabrics and sewing materials. You don't buy that stuff from Etsy unless etsy has changed drastically since last I looked at them.

I wouldn't buy joann now, I think there might be a shock as people buy a ton less of that stuff in the next couple quarters. Then it might rebound when we see where the new bottom is for the demand for hobby sewing and that stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tetramin posted:

I’m really tempted to take gains on NDRA and try to reinvest it if it bounces off a ceiling back towards 2 but I’m too scared to miss the boat

I’ve been thinking this too, honestly (and dear god don’t take stock advise from me) you may just want to sell a fraction. Worst case scenario it doesn’t drop and you have to up your cost basis, but you’re not losing all your potential profit and rebuying everything.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Joanns blows, its just sometimes the only game in town when you need something Right Now.

Enigma fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Mar 15, 2021

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

I worked for a small craft store during the great recession, and this is a very different situation, but we felt the pain later on in the recession, like mid to late 2009. Hobbies and crafts is one of the last things people will stop spending on. As a crafter, I try to avoid shopping at Joann's, but I don't see them going away anytime soon. Probably be an OK long-term investment. Not a great one.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Not to be an rear end in a top hat but didn’t a lot of Joanns clientele die in the pandemic? (Speaking as someone who lost everyone who knew how to knit in the pandemic ?

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Pillowpants posted:

Not to be an rear end in a top hat but didn’t a lot of Joanns clientele die in the pandemic? (Speaking as someone who lost everyone who knew how to knit in the pandemic ?

White middle class boomer women? No?

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Anyone else refer to it as 'gamestock' when talking to others in person? That is really all it is. Watched WMT like a hawk today and got in on the 4th or 5th time it was at 132.99, basically bottomed it but then it went lower, now we are up with ex div date on Thursday, printing bucks over here!

cgeq
Jun 5, 2004

Red posted:

I posted this on Saturday, and it's up ~9% today - did anyone buy in?

Sure did, later in the day though, so missed most of the bump. Ah well, still up a bit. Hope there's gold in them thar hills.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Michael Corleone posted:

Anyone else refer to it as 'gamestock' when talking to others in person? That is really all it is. Watched WMT like a hawk today and got in on the 4th or 5th time it was at 132.99, basically bottomed it but then it went lower, now we are up with ex div date on Thursday, printing bucks over here!

Yes all the time but entirely by accident

Tetramin posted:

I’m really tempted to take gains on NDRA and try to reinvest it if it bounces off a ceiling back towards 2 but I’m too scared to miss the boat

Sell some, if it moons you won't fomo so much and if it drops you can just buy it all back and keep some gains? :shrug: depends on your comfort level

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I dont ask much from NDRA, I just want it to hit $70/share, that's all.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I bought 200 more NDRA today :getin:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I sold half my NDRA at peak, and bought back on the dip twice today. Not bad for some quick cash.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

cgeq posted:

Sure did, later in the day though, so missed most of the bump. Ah well, still up a bit. Hope there's gold in them thar hills.

I've bought a little here and there; I wish I'd gotten a good chunk more at .55.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Baddog posted:

Joann is mostly fabrics and sewing materials. You don't buy that stuff from Etsy unless etsy has changed drastically since last I looked at them.

I wouldn't buy joann now, I think there might be a shock as people buy a ton less of that stuff in the next couple quarters. Then it might rebound when we see where the new bottom is for the demand for hobby sewing and that stuff.

Go to Etsy.com, and try the following in the search bar:

- bulk yarn
- sewing machines
- sewing storage
- bulk felt

You get pretty good results, and you can really filter down to super specifics.

Now, after that, you can look for handmade or vintage wares, and the site is pretty good about quality over quantity. My feeling on Etsy is that they're just going to widen the net and become a better version of eBay. While eBay becomes a virtual flea market (selling tons of just absolute junk and cheap poo poo from China), Etsy has higher quality items and less crap.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames

PokeJoe posted:

Yes all the time but entirely by accident

Yeah, it started that way and probably still is and my boomer dad doesn't know the difference anyway, nor do half my friends.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Red posted:

Go to Etsy.com, and try the following in the search bar:

- bulk yarn
- sewing machines
- sewing storage
- bulk felt

You get pretty good results, and you can really filter down to super specifics.

Now, after that, you can look for handmade or vintage wares, and the site is pretty good about quality over quantity. My feeling on Etsy is that they're just going to widen the net and become a better version of eBay. While eBay becomes a virtual flea market (selling tons of just absolute junk and cheap poo poo from China), Etsy has higher quality items and less crap.

I mostly agree with this post, but Etsy has had the same problem as Ebay with the proliferation of accounts selling cheap Chinese items. And they don't seem to care any more than eBay, as long as they get their listing fees.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

ohnobugs posted:

I mostly agree with this post, but Etsy has had the same problem as Ebay with the proliferation of accounts selling cheap Chinese items. And they don't seem to care any more than eBay, as long as they get their listing fees.

I guess with eBay, you run into more cheap stuff from China still being sold from a supposed US location, but I hadn't seen that issue with Etsy? Does that happen, or is the filter better there?

(To be clear, I haven't invested anything in Etsy, ever; the price seems a bit too high for me based on something I like but am still unsure about in regards to what they'll be in 5-10 years. Just, given the choice between Joann/Etsy/Michael's, I'd take Etsy.)

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Sitting on 3k shares of NDRA averaging 2.24 after multiple dips - will the FDA come *on* already

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Majin posted:

Sitting on 3k shares of NDRA averaging 2.24 after multiple dips - will the FDA come *on* already

Sold most of the position today, so the announcement will probably be tomorrow. Your welcome.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

Red posted:

I guess with eBay, you run into more cheap stuff from China still being sold from a supposed US location, but I hadn't seen that issue with Etsy? Does that happen, or is the filter better there?

(To be clear, I haven't invested anything in Etsy, ever; the price seems a bit too high for me based on something I like but am still unsure about in regards to what they'll be in 5-10 years. Just, given the choice between Joann/Etsy/Michael's, I'd take Etsy.)
When I search for stuff the problem is more finding actual handmade items. I think Etsy is better about straight-up scammers than eBay. The problem is the site is just flooded with mass produced stuff pretending to be handmade and priced like designer goods. The stuff sells, so Etsy doesn't do anything about it. It's something legitimate handmade item sellers have been complaining about for years.

I agree I'd invest in Etsy over the others. The pandemic's been good for them. They've got room to grow, and the B&M craft stores just do not seem to want to modernize or adapt.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

On Friday, my CC on ARKG will probably be assigned ($90 strike), so I’ll have $9000 to spend next Monday. I’m thinking about spending that on some of the higher weighted stocks in the ARKG portfolio (PACB, TDOC, maybe CRSP), and about 10 shares of VEEV (its huge in my work and only gaining more traction) I don’t trust ARK funds after the recent news, so I want to just pick stuff up here and there.

I’m going to continue to sell calls on my ARKF holdings and when they get called away, I’ll probably do the same with like SQ and PYPL.

Does anyone have a suggestion for ARKG type stocks that sound good

E: for long term holds

Cacafuego fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 16, 2021

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

You are doing God's work

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

What greek and in what direction causes a call option to rise in value as a stock price sits still? I don't think I firmly understand volatility or....something.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Untagged posted:

Sold most of the position today, so the announcement will probably be tomorrow. Your welcome.

Thank you sir! I can sleep well tonight.

Pastrami
May 27, 2004
Fear the Lunch Meat

cr0y posted:

What greek and in what direction causes a call option to rise in value as a stock price sits still? I don't think I firmly understand volatility or....something.

Not a Greek, but IV would do that!

Edit: up

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Pastrami posted:

Not a Greek, but IV would do that!

Edit: up

not to rag on you specifically since i see this all the time but why do people always talk about implied volatility being the cause of options prices when the mechanism is the exact opposite. it's the level of volatility that's "implied" by the current price of the option. saying that the IV going up made the price go up is just saying the price went up because the price went up

the answer to the original question is that the option price went up because people started trading the option at a higher price, which in turn peoples' models say means that The Market has judged that the volatility of the underlying security will increase

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Mar 16, 2021

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

cr0y posted:

Vega, the greek that isn't a greek. It's the sensitivity of an option to changes in implied volatility. If the implied volatility increases, the bid/ask prices will increase. Vega is highest for ATM options and lower for ITM and OTM options. Note that IV has no effect on the intrinsic value of an option, only on the time/extrinsic value.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Red posted:

They outlasted AC Moore, but still contend with Michael's and Hobby Lobby; of those competitors, only Michael's is publicly traded. Michael's has ~400 more stores, and Hobby Lobby has just slightly more, but both have approximately twice the revenue of Joann's - Michael's stock is in the 20s. Joann's is offering more online, but why bother when you have Etsy? Plus, you could argue people may craft less if they're not stuck at home anymore after COVID, nor making masks or other self-protection stuff.

They've been around for 80 years, so you have to think they'll be around, but it looks like the price fell from the initial IPO.

I feel like if I'm putting money into anything crafty, Etsy is where I'd invest.

Maybe worth pointing out that Apollo Global is taking Michael's private in a $5 billion deal which helped push the stock into the 20s since the acquisition tender is at $22/share.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Joanne's online store is pretty ok, only problem is they're competing with literally every other company that sells fabric there.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Baddog posted:

Yeah, JoAnn's been slowly falling and closing their stores for the last ten years. They're not terribly likely to be a good long-term prospect, especially since WalMart and Hobby Lobby are still competing in that market.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Maybe you think you can buy and hold until they get bought out, I dunno I went there once and wasn't impressed

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
Why the gently caress is everyone here trading a a company with a cap of 100 million. Are you just shifting tens of dollars between yourselves

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

f1av0r posted:

Why the gently caress is everyone here trading a a company with a cap of 100 million. Are you just shifting tens of dollars between yourselves

Well yes. But also there’s good enough chance for significant growth with a couple big things possibly coming soon, at least in my mind. It’s straight up gambling and I don’t think many of us will deny that.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

you have found out about the secret goon money laundering scheme

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

f1av0r posted:

Because it's more interesting to talk about gambles with small money than 'yep, that big lump I stuck in an index fund sure is returning reliable gains'?

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

cr0y posted:

You're thinking of theta. Time decay

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

f1av0r posted:

Cause I'm making money

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

UVXY getting very cheap on all this stimulus. It's looking good now but with the recent stimulus it might be a buy in the next month or so depending on monetary policy.

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

WalletBeef posted:

UVXY getting very cheap on all this stimulus. It's looking good now but with the recent stimulus it might be a buy in the next month or so depending on monetary policy.

Why is it inverse of the stimulus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Shear Modulus posted:

the price went up because the price went up

At what time in the last 12 years has this been wrong