Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

gay_crimes posted:

We went 30% over and were beaten by two offers last minute that beat us by 1k. I'm thinking the listing agents are telling people about our offer and seeing if they can fish for higher. I wonder if it would be better to submit our offer closer to the deadline

What makes you think the listing agent will honor the deadline? I don't think they have any legal obligation in that regard. They can fish just as well and receive offers after it they can honor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

alnilam posted:

It's possible, but it's more likely the winning offers used an escalation clause

There are no escalation clauses here.

Inner Light posted:

What makes you think the listing agent will honor the deadline? I don't think they have any legal obligation in that regard. They can fish just as well and receive offers after it they can honor.
I've had my offers in generally a day before the deadline. They make their decision generally the night of the deadline or the morning after. This may be market specific to where I'm at.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Queen Victorian posted:

Can we bitch about flippers being obsessed with Agreeable Gray or something lighthearted instead?

Ugh.

The place I’m under contract for was painted that color by choice before they were even considering selling.

I’m so sick of looking at that color on nearly every Zillow listing.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

gay_crimes posted:

We went 30% over and were beaten by two offers last minute that beat us by 1k. I'm thinking the listing agents are telling people about our offer and seeing if they can fish for higher. I wonder if it would be better to submit our offer closer to the deadline

This is what's happening.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I'm kind of surprised they dont have a minimum increment amount because a 1k increment feels very "$1 dollar bob" price is right kind of poo poo.

Vice President
Jul 4, 2007

I'm number two around here.

I want to believe that if I were selling a house and someone put in an offer with .01 tacked on at the end I would pick that offer even if it wasn't the highest.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I'm going to list my house with *.99 on the end to make the buyers think it's cheaper than it actually is.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Beige walls seem pretty nice to me? What color are you all painting your rooms?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Throatwarbler posted:

I had my house inside walls painted anew grey which is 1 sherwin Williams number from agreeable grey. I guess that’s basic but we like it

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

There's nothing wrong with flipper grey, that's why it's so popular with flippers. Nobody hates it. It's just... uninteresting I guess, and its ubiquity makes it notable.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 16, 2021

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Throatwarbler posted:

When I was 16 my mom took me to a dealership to buy my first car, a Toyota Camry. Dealership had two of them, and she told me, "You can have your choice between the silver one and the beige one, and you're not picking beige." 20 years later I still have that car, and these are still words I live by.

Anyway, I painted my bedroom navy blue, my office a slightly lighter blue ("faded flaxflower", I think), and my living room emerald green. Color is great.

Edit: added some links

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Mar 16, 2021

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Throatwarbler posted:

The house we're moving out of had a weird yellowish beige that I didn't love but also didn't care enough to change (this house is enormous). I did, however, paint a red accent wall in the downstairs studio, but because of the weird cinderblock-cement basement-ness of the room, it was extremely weird. I just repainted it the yellowy beige today and it does look good, but it's still not a color I'd choose.

We're moving into a very tiny townhome that has creamy white walls, and I'd like a bright white to make it look bigger, and even so, I don't care enough to repaint. I will repaint the bathrooms though--they are itty-bitty and need all the help they can get, so they're getting a shocking white.

The house we almost placed an offer on was very finished with Agreeable Gray and corresponding countertops, backsplash, laminate flooring, etc. It looks great, but super generic. I'm much more pleased with our bamboo flooring, butcher block countertops and white walls. It's not the fixer we're in now (which is currently leaking under the kitchen sink LOL) but it's updated enough to be livable, but not so new that we can't make our own upgrades.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

alnilam posted:

There's nothing wrong with flipper grey, that's why it's so popular with flippers. Nobody hates it. It's just... uninteresting I guess, and its ubiquity makes it notable.

Yeah it’s the ubiquity of it that’s annoying. Agreeable gray in and of itself is actually a drat good color - reminds me of my favorite marker set in design school, which was the warm grays (yes we had grayscale markers). It’s just gotten ruined from overuse. I personally find gray an interesting color to work with because it’s very nuanced. Not my cup of tea for interiors, but I love it as an exterior color and in artwork.

My aunt and uncle painted their dining room a neutral mid gray like 15+ years ago way before gray was popular, and back then we were all like, “oooh what an interesting and unusual color choice!”. But now it’s so overdone it’s lost its allure and has become a flipper stereotype. When my friend was looking for houses she kept sending me all these links and after a while I stopped being able to differentiate the houses because they were all flipper gray + LVT/laminate. I was eventually like, just take the one in your favorite location with the least bad inspection report because otherwise they’re all the same. I don’t even think all of them were flipped, just painted gray during sale prep.

My house came with a bunch of wall colors, none of which are gray. Though the dining room is a weird off-white that I’d describe as “dishwater”. Looks fine under warm incandescent light, but dingy and gross under natural light. Otherwise we have apricot, sage, white (kitchen and bathroom), more sage, oxblood red, lavender, beige, and cobalt. I grew up in a house that was all white walls, so I’m definitely doing a bunch of different colors (not necessarily keeping the current colors). I’m actually kinda glad that it’s a bunch of colors and didn’t get the gray treatment before being put on the market. Makes the house more interesting in the pre-remodel period.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

We plan to refinish all hardwood floors since we hate the orangey tone of the red oak hardwood and paint everything a bright white (thinking Chantilly Lace) prior to move in. It will cost a small fortune but it makes sense to get it done before we move in. We can always add in color with textiles, furniture and artwork.

We figured out a way to reorganize our finances to avoid jumbo loan and stick conventional. Just locked today at 2.865% with no points and a $2,000 credit to cover lender fees and appraisal. Sent it to the guy we'd been working with up until now and a few other lenders, and they basically told us there's no way they can match it.

Inspection was completed today and it sounds like it wasn't terrible. Inspector said the house is overall "in very good shape" but that there are some items to be addressed. We'll find out more once we sit down with the report later this week. Now onto well and septic. The owner is also trying to sell us her rusted old pickup truck which is awkward.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Queen Victorian posted:

Yeah it’s the ubiquity of it that’s annoying. Agreeable gray in and of itself is actually a drat good color - reminds me of my favorite marker set in design school, which was the warm grays (yes we had grayscale markers). It’s just gotten ruined from overuse. I personally find gray an interesting color to work with because it’s very nuanced. Not my cup of tea for interiors, but I love it as an exterior color and in artwork.

My aunt and uncle painted their dining room a neutral mid gray like 15+ years ago way before gray was popular, and back then we were all like, “oooh what an interesting and unusual color choice!”. But now it’s so overdone it’s lost its allure and has become a flipper stereotype. When my friend was looking for houses she kept sending me all these links and after a while I stopped being able to differentiate the houses because they were all flipper gray + LVT/laminate. I was eventually like, just take the one in your favorite location with the least bad inspection report because otherwise they’re all the same. I don’t even think all of them were flipped, just painted gray during sale prep.

My house came with a bunch of wall colors, none of which are gray. Though the dining room is a weird off-white that I’d describe as “dishwater”. Looks fine under warm incandescent light, but dingy and gross under natural light. Otherwise we have apricot, sage, white (kitchen and bathroom), more sage, oxblood red, lavender, beige, and cobalt. I grew up in a house that was all white walls, so I’m definitely doing a bunch of different colors (not necessarily keeping the current colors). I’m actually kinda glad that it’s a bunch of colors and didn’t get the gray treatment before being put on the market. Makes the house more interesting in the pre-remodel period.

I live in a neighborhood where the houses are modest craftsman or ranchers* that were built in the 60s and newly remodeled and when I go running in the neighborhood, I creep their design choices. You wouldn't think a craftsman would look good in matte slate gray with a bright orange door but man, it really works. I can't do it in my new home because it's a townhouse, but the home after that, I'm hiring a designer. My own aesthetic is too basic (cherry red and teal, anyone? How about bright white, dark wood, and lots of greenery? Those are literally the only two aesthetics I have), but I love what actual designers can do when they're not flipping.

*that are still going for 1.2MM

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Cherry red and teal sounds awesome

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

amethystbliss posted:

We plan to refinish all hardwood floors since we hate the orangey tone of the red oak hardwood and paint everything a bright white (thinking Chantilly Lace) prior to move in. It will cost a small fortune but it makes sense to get it done before we move in. We can always add in color with textiles, furniture and artwork.

The floors in my new place currently look like this

They are cherry engineered hardwood. I'm trying to decide if I want to have it sanded/refinished before I move in or leave it as is. Apparently if it's refinished it won't have a stain, so it will be much lighter than in that photo and will darken a bit over time. It's a hard choice! The current floors aren't in bad shape either which makes it more difficult decision, though they are about 18 years old now.

Inner Light fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Mar 16, 2021

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I live in a neighborhood where the houses are modest craftsman or ranchers* that were built in the 60s and newly remodeled and when I go running in the neighborhood, I creep their design choices. You wouldn't think a craftsman would look good in matte slate gray with a bright orange door but man, it really works. I can't do it in my new home because it's a townhouse, but the home after that, I'm hiring a designer. My own aesthetic is too basic (cherry red and teal, anyone? How about bright white, dark wood, and lots of greenery? Those are literally the only two aesthetics I have), but I love what actual designers can do when they're not flipping.

*that are still going for 1.2MM

I've toyed with this idea too but I feel like interior designers are something that only the idle rich can afford, not people who work for a living like me. How much does it cost to hire one?

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

ntan1 posted:

This is what's happening.

As much as I hated escalator clauses in Seattle, after going without and losing one after another offer in San Diego by $1k I realized how convenient they were. We were finally told to just start offering above at random odd increments like $6.1k or $7.3k instead of just $5k to get that extra bit over other offers which seemed like a pretty dumb thing to have to do.

Edit:

amethystbliss posted:

We figured out a way to reorganize our finances to avoid jumbo loan and stick conventional. Just locked today at 2.865% with no points and a $2,000 credit to cover lender fees and appraisal. Sent it to the guy we'd been working with up until now and a few other lenders, and they basically told us there's no way they can match it.

Inspection was completed today and it sounds like it wasn't terrible. Inspector said the house is overall "in very good shape" but that there are some items to be addressed. We'll find out more once we sit down with the report later this week. Now onto well and septic. The owner is also trying to sell us her rusted old pickup truck which is awkward.

Out of curiosity who is giving you this rate? We got 2.875 with a VA loan and lender covering points to get down there and I couldn't get anyone else to beat that. Do rates change based on state of size of loan maybe?

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Mar 16, 2021

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
Re: paint

Oh no! I'm working towards prepping my house for sale and my buddy who paints on the side (used to do it for a living) was talking about how replacing the (garbage-tier laminate DIY failure of) flooring with vinyl planking and painting the walls some varying shades of beige and gray :ohdear:

It's me, I have somehow become basic :(

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

I've toyed with this idea too but I feel like interior designers are something that only the idle rich can afford, not people who work for a living like me. How much does it cost to hire one?

Hell if I know. I'm only now looking into buying and I'm in my 40s, and up until now my aesthetic was "I wish I could afford Crate and Barrel but I can't so Ikea it is, and World Market for when I want something quirky." I know what I like but I also know I need help from the pros. Not so much for my starter home, but after trying to DIY this massive rental, there's no chance for me for a forever home, so I'm calling in the professionals.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
We just looked at two more houses tonight. First one was clearly a flip and it looked nice on the surface but there were major issues with the new laminate flooring. There were some major subflooring issues where rather than fixing it, they just continued laying the lovely laminate on top and now there are weird bumps that are visibly noticeable not to mention you can feel them and watch the laminate flexing under your foot.

The style choices in the bathroom were way too trendy and will look super dated in a few years. It hasn't rained here in a day or two and the backyard had standing water and a slope that flows towards the house. It was okay but not for the price. We looked at a second house which was infinitely better and in a more desirable location. We'll definitely put an offer on the second. It's close enough to our upper limit so I'm hoping it doesn't go ridiculously over but also that it should hopefully appraise close enough to our offer that low appraisal won't be an issue.

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Zarin posted:

Re: paint

Oh no! I'm working towards prepping my house for sale and my buddy who paints on the side (used to do it for a living) was talking about how replacing the (garbage-tier laminate DIY failure of) flooring with vinyl planking and painting the walls some varying shades of beige and gray :ohdear:

It's me, I have somehow become basic :(

From my recent experience helping my friend look at listings, I feel like it’s gotten to the point where there’s so much gray in houses on the market that it’s not helpful (I would argue it might even be detrimental because it makes your property the opposite of memorable to prospective buyers). Hell, even beige would be more interesting simply because it’s less common these days.

What I’d do personally is pick your nice greige or whatever neutral for the majority of the house but have some splashy colors for a few rooms and/or accent walls. The only house I distinctly remember from my friend’s hunt where I can recall something from interior and attribute it to the correct property was the one with a cobalt accent wall in the dining room (with the rest of it being gray). Also the particularly lovely flip with the fake address. The shittiness and deceit was what made that one memorable though, not the gray interior. The rest of them all bleed together in a fog of gray. I think having some memorable colorful features would be good in this time of heavy reliance on listing photos and virtual tours.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Verman posted:

We just looked at two more houses tonight. First one was clearly a flip and it looked nice on the surface but there were major issues with the new laminate flooring. There were some major subflooring issues where rather than fixing it, they just continued laying the lovely laminate on top and now there are weird bumps that are visibly noticeable not to mention you can feel them and watch the laminate flexing under your foot.

The style choices in the bathroom were way too trendy and will look super dated in a few years. It hasn't rained here in a day or two and the backyard had standing water and a slope that flows towards the house. It was okay but not for the price. We looked at a second house which was infinitely better and in a more desirable location. We'll definitely put an offer on the second. It's close enough to our upper limit so I'm hoping it doesn't go ridiculously over but also that it should hopefully appraise close enough to our offer that low appraisal won't be an issue.

My current apartment has this issue.

Took like 6 weeks to start cracking, now it's cracked like loving crazy and the laminate panels are shifting with gaps and stuff three years later.

amethystbliss
Jan 17, 2006

Inner Light posted:

They are cherry engineered hardwood. I'm trying to decide if I want to have it sanded/refinished before I move in or leave it as is. Apparently if it's refinished it won't have a stain, so it will be much lighter than in that photo and will darken a bit over time. It's a hard choice! The current floors aren't in bad shape either which makes it more difficult decision, though they are about 18 years old now.

It is a hard choice! I'm really drawn to lighter oaks like this, but worry it may be too trendy.

PageMaster posted:

Out of curiosity who is giving you this rate? We got 2.875 with a VA loan and lender covering points to get down there and I couldn't get anyone else to beat that. Do rates change based on state of size of loan maybe?
We went with Sebonic. Tried the lenders my realtor recommended but it felt like cutting through so much bullshit to get the LE. Went on bankrate, looked up best rate and they called first thing this morning. It was super straightforward and we had a LE with that rate locked in just a few hours - way way easier than what we were doing before. I thought we could bring that rate back to the local lender we liked and had built rapport with, but he said he couldn't compete with it. For what it's worth, purchase price is $650k and we're putting just over 15% down (loan amount is about $548k).

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

I kinda assume that they would buy a full room of fancy furniture which would be thousands.

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

We painted our whole house during and we used taupe for the main areas.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Flat beige is the color of every Boston apartment and flipped property for sale and it marks the walls if you even look at it

Was so happy we bought and were able to paint an actual color

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Inner Light posted:

You can always have them re-stained after they are sanded down, but they would take on a much more uniform color vs how they look now. From the photos you've linked they seem to be in good shape. It is also entirely possible to hire someone to sand and stain-to-match only that one shiny bit of flooring so that you don't have to redo everything.

amethystbliss posted:

It is a hard choice! I'm really drawn to lighter oaks like this, but worry it may be too trendy.

These look like white washed pine to me. While I think you could do the same thing to oak, it wouldn't come out that light and would also just feel....wrong. I definitely see this being a trend that will look dated quickly.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Standing in line at the bank to get a cashiers check for the most money I've ever had in my life 😬😬😬

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

smackfu posted:

I kinda assume that they would buy a full room of fancy furniture which would be thousands.

This is what an interior decorator does. What an interior designer does usually includes decoration, but goes much further into areas like determining interior layout, finishes, materials, colors, textile and furniture design, etc. Also the easiest way to insult an interior designer is to call them a decorator.

Source: interned at an interior design firm in college.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

amethystbliss posted:

We went with Sebonic. Tried the lenders my realtor recommended but it felt like cutting through so much bullshit to get the LE. Went on bankrate, looked up best rate and they called first thing this morning. It was super straightforward and we had a LE with that rate locked in just a few hours - way way easier than what we were doing before. I thought we could bring that rate back to the local lender we liked and had built rapport with, but he said he couldn't compete with it. For what it's worth, purchase price is $650k and we're putting just over 15% down (loan amount is about $548k).

If all you're doing here is the floors, I think it's fine? It's neutral enough to do whatever else you want with the space. Use the rest sparingly, keep the farm sink if you must but lose the waterfall islands. I seriously do not know how those came to be. I feel like they only belong in ultramodern supermansions, the kind you see in car commercials during the holidays, but they're in every flipped house these days.

What other things do we hate? Personally I'm kind of getting tired of sliding barn doors, but I'm going to have to install one in my kitchen to cover the washer/dryer unit (I know--but like I said, tiny townhouse and it's the only place we can put it). If I had my choice, half the doors in my house would be pocket doors. And you can gently caress right off with word art and boob lights.

I once rented a townhouse that we loved, but it had carpet in the bathroom. It haunts me.

We're furnishing the whole house almost from scratch and I'm trying to resist buying a ton of midcentury modern stuff. For some reason it appeals to me but I know if I fill the space with it I'll hate it. I'm trying to keep it to one piece per room or less. We've had a really nice leather sectional for years but my wife wants to replace it (and I do too, but would be fine if she wanted to keep it). We have no idea where to look for a couch, or what we want. We're going to check out Lovesac this weekend but I'm not sure I like the way they look or if they're comfortable. I haven't been couch shopping in ages so I am at a loss.

Tell me all the trendy things you hate so I know what to avoid while we're figuring out what to put in the place.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Maggie Fletcher posted:

If all you're doing here is the floors, I think it's fine? It's neutral enough to do whatever else you want with the space. Use the rest sparingly, keep the farm sink if you must but lose the waterfall islands. I seriously do not know how those came to be. I feel like they only belong in ultramodern supermansions, the kind you see in car commercials during the holidays, but they're in every flipped house these days.

What other things do we hate? Personally I'm kind of getting tired of sliding barn doors, but I'm going to have to install one in my kitchen to cover the washer/dryer unit (I know--but like I said, tiny townhouse and it's the only place we can put it). If I had my choice, half the doors in my house would be pocket doors. And you can gently caress right off with word art and boob lights.

I once rented a townhouse that we loved, but it had carpet in the bathroom. It haunts me.

We're furnishing the whole house almost from scratch and I'm trying to resist buying a ton of midcentury modern stuff. For some reason it appeals to me but I know if I fill the space with it I'll hate it. I'm trying to keep it to one piece per room or less. We've had a really nice leather sectional for years but my wife wants to replace it (and I do too, but would be fine if she wanted to keep it). We have no idea where to look for a couch, or what we want. We're going to check out Lovesac this weekend but I'm not sure I like the way they look or if they're comfortable. I haven't been couch shopping in ages so I am at a loss.

Tell me all the trendy things you hate so I know what to avoid while we're figuring out what to put in the place.

Whats so bad about barn doors? I'm thinking about installing some (or some kind of sliding door) to section off the kitchen from the old dining room. Are they just passe these days?

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Maggie Fletcher posted:

I have a lovesac. They’re fuckin awesome, especially if you’re the kind of person that will frequently rearrange them. It’s the kind of crazy squishy couch that you sink deep into.

There’s also much much less panic about keeping it spotless because a.) you can throw any of the covers in the washing machine, and b.) you can just buy a single cover if one gets super hosed up.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

Whats so bad about barn doors? I'm thinking about installing some (or some kind of sliding door) to section off the kitchen from the old dining room. Are they just passe these days?

I actually like the way they look and the convenience (and they're said to be easy to install). I think they are just getting ubiquitous. I can make my peace with my one unobtrusive slim barn door that I have to install out of necessity, but it's one of those things that I think should be used sparingly, especially if you're thinking of making it a focal piece. I don't think they're passe yet, but I'm not confident they will not look dated in ten years. We can blame Chip and Joanna for that at least in part.

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

I have a lovesac. They’re fuckin awesome, especially if you’re the kind of person that will frequently rearrange them. It’s the kind of crazy squishy couch that you sink deep into.

There’s also much much less panic about keeping it spotless because a.) you can throw any of the covers in the washing machine, and b.) you can just buy a single cover if one gets super hosed up.

This is a huge selling point for me, I love a squishy couch. I don't have a big enough space to really rearrange them but it's nice that they're modular. And I love that I can buy different covers--I want to change the color scheme of the room or whatever, I invest in new covers instead of a new couch. And I love a brightly colored couch, and I think it'll be easy to convince the wife that it's not a permanent commitment to have a bright blue or red couch or whatever.

Maggie Fletcher fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 16, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

smackfu posted:

Queen Victorian posted:

This is what an interior decorator does. What an interior designer does usually includes decoration, but goes much further into areas like determining interior layout, finishes, materials, colors, textile and furniture design, etc. Also the easiest way to insult an interior designer is to call them a decorator.

.....and if you're worried about a FULL ROOM of furniture that costs "thousands" I've got some bad news about how expensive quality furniture actually is. Also that any suggestions from a designer would be out of your price range immediately.

amethystbliss posted:

The answer to the pickup truck is "no" which is what your agent should be telling them. It shouldn't be awkward at all, but it should be important context clues about the property and it's recent maintenance or lack thereof.

The well may or may not be fine. The septic WILL fail if this is someone trying to sell you a rusty pickup. The septic was likely to fail anyway. It's exceptionally likely that it's not been pumped in years if ever and if it even has a proper box the concrete is rotten and/or the baffle is broken. Just about any house around here that hasn't been turned over in a couple of decades is in this kind of condition and it usually ends up with $50k+ in escrow at closing for the buyer to get the septic taken care of.

Throatwarbler posted:

They're disgustingly pintrest/hgtv trendy and have been for years now, they are ugly and belong on a barn, they don't function well, even when on a barn.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
My initial thought was that I would install regular sliding doors that recess into the wall, but maybe a barn door would be cheaper and easier to install.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

Standing in line at the bank to get a cashiers check for the most money I've ever had in my life 😬😬😬

It's a weird feeling isn't it? If it makes you feel any better, that check can only be cashed by the title company it's made out to, or you.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009

Throatwarbler posted:

My initial thought was that I would install regular sliding doors that recess into the wall, but maybe a barn door would be cheaper and easier to install.

They would. But a really good pocket door is a gem. Our new place has a master bath that opens up into the hall AND the bedroom. It's a lot of swinging doors. I'm hoping to replace one or both of them with pocket doors someday. The layout of my kitchen won't allow a pocket door, so barn door it is. Also, hanging a barn door is infinitely easier than hollowing out the wall, making sure there's no wiring or plumbing in the wall, installing the track, re-drywalling the wall, etc. Unless you're a contractor, it's not an easy DIY like a barn door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

alnilam posted:

It's a weird feeling isn't it? If it makes you feel any better, that check can only be cashed by the title company it's made out to, or you.

That does help, but it's still psychically burning a hole in my pocket (it is actually on my desk) because from now until tomorrow afternoon it has many theoretical opportunities to be lost, destroyed, or left behind.