Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Never said it wasn't obvious, I just never thought about its constituent words before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Jabberlock posted:

I just figured out Mediterranean means "between lands", as in it's the sea between Europe, Asia, and Africa.

There’s an American Mediterranean Sea

(It’s the Caribbean.)

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?
Stuff I can't believe people haven't figured out (aiming to be helpful in a useful-going-forward sense, not rude, but I know it's a fine line):

Inzombiac posted:

straight-laced
is spelled strait-laced. It's used in the sense of strict or narrow.

Len posted:

staticy
should be staticky, right? Most -ic words take a k before suffixes like that.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Harvey TWH posted:

is spelled strait-laced.
No it isn't, or rather it can be but absolutely not to the exclusion of the significantly more common "straight-laced".
Staticy is also a legitimate variant spelling.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Today I heard a radio ad for Home Depot and realized that the popular refrigerator brand Frigidaire is a portmanteau of frigid and air.

Yes, you may laugh at me.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Harvey TWH posted:

You sure about that?

I was assuming it was related to straight-and-narrow.
We're splitting hairs at the micron level so I don't think it matters.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Scarodactyl posted:

No it isn't, or rather it can be but absolutely not to the exclusion of the significantly more common "straight-laced".

"Straight-laced" doesn't make any sense, though. But then again most people would struggle to explain the meaning behind a whole lot of everyday sayings and idioms, and the original meaning of some of them (like "highfalutin") have been lost altogether.

Silver Falcon posted:

Today I heard a radio ad for Home Depot and realized that the popular refrigerator brand Frigidaire is a portmanteau of frigid and air.

Etymology online suggests is might come from the Latin frigidarium: "a cooling room in a bath."

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

"Straight-laced" doesn't make any sense, though. But then again most people would struggle to explain the meaning behind a whole lot of everyday sayings and idioms, and the original meaning of some of them (like "highfalutin") have been lost altogether.

My vague mental explanation was that it was something to do with extremely precisely-tied laces on boots or whatever, like somebody extremely prim and fastidious might care about.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"

Captain Hygiene posted:

My vague mental explanation was that it was something to do with extremely precisely-tied laces on boots or whatever, like somebody extremely prim and fastidious might care about.

Yeah, that was it for me too. Like something hard to achieve and relatively unimportant.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Harvey TWH posted:

Stuff I can't believe people haven't figured out (aiming to be helpful in a useful-going-forward sense, not rude, but I know it's a fine line):

"Straight-laced" (hyphenated or not) accounts for 66% of modern usage. It's swiftly becoming a lost battle, even though you're correct about its origin (which has to do with corsetry, and dates back to the early 1500s in its metaphorical sense; in its literal sense, it's first attested in 1430!).

The "k" after in -ic words seems to be regional or personal preference. I haven't found out where it originated, but I didn't look very hard.

Inzombiac posted:

You sure about that?

I was assuming it was related to straight-and-narrow.
We're splitting hairs at the micron level so I don't think it matters.

You'll be chagrined to learn that it's actually "strait and narrow" - yes, two words that mean the same thing - from Matthew 7:

quote:

13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:

14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it.

But again, the battle is likely lost on this one.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

"Strait" is archaic outside of a few very narrow contexts (ha) and the original context is long gone, so it isn't surprising the spelling has drifted.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Scarodactyl posted:

"Strait" is archaic outside of a few very narrow contexts (ha) and the original context is long gone, so it isn't surprising the spelling has drifted.

It's a bit more familiar if you live in the southern half of Australia next to the part of the ocean called Bass Strait and you grew up listening to the band Dire Straits
:australia:

"Australia - we're archaic as gently caress!"

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

We got a Hecate Strait in this part of the world.

It's pronounced "heck-it."

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

There are a lot of Straits around the world

Strait of Gibralter, Hormuz, Malacca, Georgia (Vancouver), Cook (between NZ north and south islands) Dover (narrowest part of the English Channel) etc etc.
It's a common geographic term to describe a narrow body of water between 2 landmasses.
There's also The Straits Times newspapers in Malaysia and Singapore.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Harvey TWH posted:

Stuff I can't believe people haven't figured out (aiming to be helpful in a useful-going-forward sense, not rude, but I know it's a fine line): language evolves by consensus, spellings and grammar change and the original spelling or even meaning of a particular word or phrase is not the True Meaning That Must Always Remain and which people need to be corrected on. The only time people need correcting on that stuff is if they ask for help or possibly if they're a language learner but even then the better tactic is to model the correct usage for them rather than correct directly.

It's annoying at first to have to ignore the little ping in your brain that says "wrong!" because it doesn't match the pattern of the language as you know it, but trust me it's much more freeing than policing everyone's language use when there are always going to be more and more examples of people doing it "wrong" because that's how language works and always has worked.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I think you’ll find that English was handed down to Jesus by god himself and has been unchanged since.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Monkey posted:

I think you’ll find that English was handed down to Jesus by god himself and has been unchanged since.

God created English, and Noah Webster made it intelligible. My heart goes out to all the Angloinfected countries speaking an inferior tongue to standard American English

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013

Organza Quiz posted:

The only time people need correcting on that stuff is if they ask for help or possibly if they're a language learner but even then the better tactic is to model the correct usage for them rather than correct directly.

But then people won't know you're smarter than them, which is the goal of every social interaction.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Organza Quiz posted:

Stuff I can't believe people haven't figured out (aiming to be helpful in a useful-going-forward sense
Might be useful somewhere else, but not here in the "somewhat obscure trivia you just stumbled across" thread

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 09:37 on Mar 16, 2021

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Silver Falcon posted:

The Fresh Quince of Frigid Aire.

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Silver Falcon posted:

The fun part of that is learning that we use the term “fridge” not as a short form of refrigerator, but because of the brand name Frigidaire. Or the term at least became popular because of the brand.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Organza Quiz posted:

Stuff I can't believe people haven't figured out (aiming to be helpful in a useful-going-forward sense, not rude, but I know it's a fine line): language evolves by consensus, spellings and grammar change and the original spelling or even meaning of a particular word or phrase is not the True Meaning That Must Always Remain and which people need to be corrected on. The only time people need correcting on that stuff is if they ask for help or possibly if they're a language learner but even then the better tactic is to model the correct usage for them rather than correct directly.

It's annoying at first to have to ignore the little ping in your brain that says "wrong!" because it doesn't match the pattern of the language as you know it, but trust me it's much more freeing than policing everyone's language use when there are always going to be more and more examples of people doing it "wrong" because that's how language works and always has worked.

Except French, where it's actually regulated.

In Quebec those assholes even have an enforcement arm.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

St_Ides posted:

The fun part of that is learning that we use the term “fridge” not as a short form of refrigerator, but because of the brand name Frigidaire. Or the term at least became popular because of the brand.

I hate that neither refrigerator not Frigidaire have a D before the G, but fridge does.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Gaius Marius posted:

God created English, and Noah Webster made it intelligible. My heart goes out to all the Angloinfected countries speaking an inferior tongue to standard American English

Noah Webster was a hack, and your regional dialect's stubborn refusal to stay inside the pit that spawned it is no problem whatsoever because dialects are cool and it's good to learn them

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Organza Quiz posted:

This is all very true. Language is fluid and ever-changing.

But I still hate "literally" used for emphasis. I know it's a losing battle. But I hate it.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

RoboRodent posted:

This is all very true. Language is fluid and ever-changing.

But I still hate "literally" used for emphasis. I know it's a losing battle. But I hate it.

I made my peace with it when I realised it's the exact same thing as happened to both 'really' and 'very'. 'Really' comes directly from 'real', and 'very' is from Latin 'verai' (roughly 'true'), but both shifted to be intensifiers and no one bats an eye about them.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I think I'm figuring out that linguistics nerds are literally the worst kind of nerd.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

fizzymercury posted:

I think I'm figuring out that linguistics nerds really are literally the very worst kind of nerd.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

it's definitely still weebs, but linguistics nerds do get angry a lot and provide us with good meltdowns

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's Critical Role fans now.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

St_Ides posted:

Yeah, this makes me feel less bad about not realizing what the word means. Mentally I always thought of it more like "fridge-idaire." It was the way the radio guy pronounced it that made me realize it was frigid air.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Organza Quiz posted:

*Académie française intensifies*

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Super hot take incoming but while yes words and their usage change over time, words also convey meaning, and the battle over how words can or should be used is a really important one that has deep historical, political and social ramifications beyond somebody on the internet getting mad about "irregardless." And it's a battle that has to be taught and reinforced in some way by our educational institutions so that the definitions we prefer are ones people become accustomed to using. So while I'm not a prescriptivist I also don't think it's smart to be completely iconoclastic about language either, since most of us would agree that certain words can or should have an irreducible significance in addition to the ones we'd like to change or reclaim.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It’s a battle that’s like 95% rooted in race/classism though.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

Super hot take incoming but while yes words and their usage change over time, words also convey meaning, and the battle over how words can or should be used is a really important one that has deep historical, political and social ramifications beyond somebody on the internet getting mad about "irregardless." And it's a battle that has to be taught and reinforced in some way by our educational institutions so that the definitions we prefer are ones people become accustomed to using. So while I'm not a prescriptivist I also don't think it's smart to be completely iconoclastic about language either, since most of us would agree that certain words can or should have an irreducible significance in addition to the ones we'd like to change or reclaim.

As in "lol global warming's just a theory", where by theory they mean "some koo-koo idea a hare-brained academic had once" but there are real stakes behind it meaning "hypothesis supported strongly by the evidence"

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If global warming is real why is winter sometimes?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
if globe warming why me cold

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I've got a few feet a yer global warming piled up outside my door

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Captain Monkey posted:

It’s a battle that’s like 95% rooted in race/classism though.

Maybe but you kind of ignore these semantic battles at your own peril, it's called "framing the debate" and racists and classists are really good at sounding like they're making common sense arguments because they've already defined terms like "welfare" to mean A Bad Thing instead of what the word literally means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Climate change is so fun because now October is 85F and mid March has frost until the afternoon.

If it just meant the general patterns were shifting (so summer was colder and winter was warmer) I would be kinda okay.
Instead we're gonna die.

COOOOOOOL