Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I'm a huge dishonored fan and I just realized I never played the dlc at all. I'm gonna go and play knife of dunwall tomorrow. My personal favorite thing about it is the incredible design of the setting. This weird art decor steampunk style in a Victorian setting is something special, everything looks recognizable yet different, and mundane things like typewriters look really cool. Just love the setting a lot, hope they do something with it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Son of Rodney posted:

I'm a huge dishonored fan and I just realized I never played the dlc at all. I'm gonna go and play knife of dunwall tomorrow. My personal favorite thing about it is the incredible design of the setting. This weird art decor steampunk style in a Victorian setting is something special, everything looks recognizable yet different, and mundane things like typewriters look really cool. Just love the setting a lot, hope they do something with it again.

Same, I effing loved Dishonored but for some reason never played the last DLC until like 3 months ago.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The mingame dlc was really fun too. The one that turned the time freeze power into a puzzle game and the one that was just Thief definitely stood out

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Death of the Outsider is really boring because it explains where the Outsider came from, but in a way that doesn't really explain much, and also means he isn't actually an immortal space whale.

This is actually in Dishonored 2. He shows the ritual that made him what he became. But yeah it feels a little bit of a let down to see such a mundane explanation for who/what he is.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The Outsider is a black hole that the sun in Dishonoured is slowly falling into :colbert:

There are some diagrams of it on the overseers' blackboards, and there are some heart comments in the void about how time has no meaning here and how everything will end up here eventually.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Oxxidation posted:

dishonored had an amazing setting and was absolutely hellbent on never doing anything interesting with it

This was also an issue in Paradise Killer, which needs a reason for a bunch of wacky people to be on an island and all be murder suspects.

And that reason is:
At some point in human history humans came into contact with some version of Old Gods and demons that could be summoned for power. Those humans against the gods managed to rebel and start killing off the summoned gods, leaving the cultists left behind to make their own virtual/construct realities instead. 1000 years of human history has been erased, so people in the real world (basically the same as IRL) think it's the year 2019 when it's actually 3019, with the real 998 to 1999ish being the era of gods.

Your cult has fallen far from greatness and basically regularly kidnaps and/or breeds people to be their workers and human sacrifices as they iteratively try to make better more perfect realities to live in, aka 'Paradises'.

Yes, this is really the backstory for why you're trying to solve murders on an island. On the day the last Paradise was meant to be shut down for everyone to move into the newest one, half the ruling council were murdered and you gotta work out who did it, because suspect number 1 is a worker who was supposedly demon-possessed, and that's clearly not the whole story.

Cool backstory!
The gameplay is first-person platforming around a low-res island picking up items and progressing through dialogue trees through presenting items.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Reminds me of The Elder Scrolls, where everything cool and interesting happens between games and in books

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Final Fantasy 7 R: Cloud smashed Rude in the face with the Nail Bat and broke his sunglasses.

Mamkute has a new favorite as of 18:33 on Mar 16, 2021

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

bony tony posted:

Reminds me of The Elder Scrolls, where everything cool and interesting happens between games and in books

That first book after Oblivion is phenomenal

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Dishonored's world is so generally unpleasant I can't imagine anyone liking it, there's absolutely nothing good in it aesthetically, just pure ugliness and grimness.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Dishonored's world is so generally unpleasant I can't imagine anyone liking it, there's absolutely nothing good in it aesthetically, just pure ugliness and grimness.

well yeah its based on the british empire

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Gaius Marius posted:

Big agree here. It is such a miserable poo poo setting, how anybody likes it or thinks it is cool is beyond me.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

everyone is so entranced by a whiskey-and-cigars based social market currency that they forget how bad all that whale oil everywhere must smell when the sun hits it

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lol if you think the sun's ever managed to hit anything in dreary dunwall

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Big agree here. It is such a miserable poo poo setting, how anybody likes it or thinks it is cool is beyond me.

That's why it's so good. The discourse over the years surrounding Dishonored's chaos system has always been really funny because look at the story and people you're trying to decide the fate of. Does it really make a difference if you sow even more chaos into an already chaotic world? Live a little, use those shrapnel grenades, you're the boogeyman.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I spent so much time in Dishonored one trying to save emily from becoming a terrible leader by setting a good example, second game just fucks me over.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Late in Dishonored you are taunted with the fact that Emily is watching your actions and you are, in essence, her moral compass should she someday see the throne. The guy's intent is to make you go "oh man, am I the baddies?" but it's funny, I looked back at all those rapists, serial murderers, authoritarian dictators, backstabbing spies, citizen-murdering terrorists and mercenary wizards whose heads I chopped off with my own mercenary wizardry and I felt more like "I sure hope she is". People say that the game is way too judgmental about the act of killing humans affecting the world itself but I used my sword a lot and I didn't kill any humans when I played Dishonored.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Also the non-violent ways of removing people from power are worse than death.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Also the non-violent ways of removing people from power are worse than death.

Yeah it owns, enjoy your own slave mines fuckos.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

But to be able to condemn the slavers to their own slave mines, you must accept and indeed uphold the institution of slave mines. Legions of people continuing to suffer in the name of punishing two men.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
What you do to the genius in Dishonored 2 actually made me feel sick.

That's what I think is awesome about the Dishonored series. The chaos system is a little more interesting than simple good/bad. I think i killed everyone in a position of power but tried not to kill the rank and file guardsmen. I think I got low chaos?

Anyway why the chaos system is cool is that high chaos will result in more enemies in the level and low chaos will result in less. This means that if you like killing the game will give you more enemies to kill and if you like sneaking the game will keep enemy levels low to make sneaking easier. It's a really cool idea.

Arkane are pretty much top-tier in the game of immersive sims and I'm going to buy a PS5 purely for Deathloop.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Mamkute posted:

Final Fantasy 7 R: Cloud smashed Reno in the face with the Nail Bat and broke his sunglasses.

Rude!

...you forgetting the actual name of the guy who's sunglasses Cloud breaks.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Arkane are pretty much top-tier in the game of immersive sims and I'm going to buy a PS5 purely for Deathloop.

Legit the best level designers in terms of "making a space feel lived-in and genuine" out there. I'm so very thirsty for Live, Die, Repeat

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

My Lovely Horse posted:

But to be able to condemn the slavers to their own slave mines, you must accept and indeed uphold the institution of slave mines. Legions of people continuing to suffer in the name of punishing two men.

Mind you, it's not like killing them will necessarily end the institution either. There's always more bastards waiting to step in.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There also is nothing you can reasonably do about the slave mines, it'd likely require a sting operation the size of the Hound Pits conspirators themselves to shut down. This is part of why I like Dishonored's world being so unerringly lovely in so many physical places and so many different far-reaching societal respects, because it's easier to swallow that there is nothing you can do about it. Yeah great, Emily Kaldwin is about to become empress of Dunwall. Y'know, Dunwall, the city whose recently deceased former empress was just told at the start of the game via official correspondence would not be receiving aid or provided refuge for its rat plague that turns people into ashen plant zombies.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 13:17 on Mar 16, 2021

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

IMO 2 did a better job of explaining exactly why the chaotic choices had the results they did, there are a few slightly smarter decisions/explanations where the "low chaos" outcome explicitly leaves capable people in positions of power and/or replaces the old leaders in relatively civilised ways, so the city doesn't descend into leaderless anarchy

I mean, I have my own issues with that but I'm not expecting my murder game to take the time to deconstruct the great man theory of history by having no consequences to killing lol

Also Death of the Outsider did a good job with the character imo, all the spoiling of the mystery was done in 2 and if you accept that as the premise it managed to make it interesting. I do just like the writer for DotO (Hazel Monforton) though

Lunchmeat Larry has a new favorite as of 15:13 on Mar 16, 2021

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh man that reminds me of the extremely clever time travel bit they did in 2 that they in no way had to include or even really signposted. That was a good one.

Also reminds me that I have Death of the Outsider sitting around, unplayed for years, and should get on that.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Mamkute posted:

Final Fantasy 7 R: Cloud smashed Reno in the face with the Nail Bat and broke his sunglasses.

Rude, Reno's just obnoxious but he didn't press the last button to wipe out every sector 7 lower and upper plate inhabitant.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

I liked all of the non-lethal "executions" in Dishonored 1. I thought they were, with one glaring exception, ironic and fitting ends to the bad guys you're sent to kill.

But, uh, turning lady boyle over to some creepy dude's sex dungeon for the rest of her life is a little weird. I just ended up loading an earlier save and killing her.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I think there’s a side story that shows she turns the table on her captor in some way. It’s not as bad as it seems at first blush, although it does seem bad and doesn’t feel good to do

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That's the one most people have in mind when they say the nonlethal solutions are actually worse than death

Hattie Masters
Aug 29, 2012

COMICS CRIMINAL
Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure that canonically, within the universe of Dishonored, yeah you give Lady Boyle over and she ends up just completely in charge of her situation. Still not good but definitely looks like the devs kinda walked it back due to how utterly horrifying giving a woman over to her stalker is.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oh cool, I've been vaguely eyeing that based on the neat art and general concept but I didn't notice it was by them. Instapurchase after just replaying Prey and wanting more new stuff from them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And both of the trailers so far loving rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc2hz3LJhTY (gameplay reveal)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKVqwEsw4Uo (most recent)

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
To be fair about all the cool stuff happening between games for Elder Scrolls most of the bad stuff that drives the setting would be stopped by the PC if it happened in game. The Gods only have a chance to gently caress everyone over because there's no player to stop them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

To be fair about all the cool stuff happening between games for Elder Scrolls most of the bad stuff that drives the setting would be stopped by the PC if it happened in game. The Gods only have a chance to gently caress everyone over because there's no player to stop them.

That's smart. More bad guys should try doing things between stories instead of during them.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That's a real Grant Morrison rear end thing

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

christmas boots posted:

That's smart. More bad guys should try doing things between stories instead of during them.

An awful lot of games have the bad guys do pretty much all their work either before the game starts or during the introduction, with only very occasional interference from there on. Understandably so, too -- that structure allows the game world to be established as a big series of zones of "everything sucks", then as the player moves through they can solve problems and "reclaim" parts of the world from the bad guys' influence.

Of course things don't have to be this way, but it's an easy structure to work with from a narrative design standpoint.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

haveblue posted:

And both of the trailers so far loving rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc2hz3LJhTY (gameplay reveal)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKVqwEsw4Uo (most recent)

I really, really can’t wait for this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

An awful lot of games have the bad guys do pretty much all their work either before the game starts or during the introduction, with only very occasional interference from there on. Understandably so, too -- that structure allows the game world to be established as a big series of zones of "everything sucks", then as the player moves through they can solve problems and "reclaim" parts of the world from the bad guys' influence.

Of course things don't have to be this way, but it's an easy structure to work with from a narrative design standpoint.

Dr Eggman's utterly insane amount of planning and contingencies is one of the things I find so goddamn hilarious about Sonic Adventure 1. Dude just had a giant robot or bomb to drop into any situation as a response, even seems like he bothered to plan more for after he lost than before he lost.

He is downright devious in that game, man. The guy had to somehow manipulate 3 or 4 of his worst enemies and several more he'd never interacted with to be in specific places and do specific things for him and he actually managed to nearly pull it off. Sonic and co literally bring him all the emeralds, he doesn't collect a single one himself. I cannot believe Eggman almost wins in Sonic Adventure and it's Tails who finally stops him in the end chronologically.