Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

I will note that it's probably the first VR "game" with VR DLSS, unless anyone knows of any other examples.

another snipe. okay, take this:

Enjoy Daft Punk's Interstella 5555 in VR!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXdUJ9RAd3U

forest spirit fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Mar 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Played VRChat with a friend. We went into some world that was like a horror game where you have to collect teddy bears while an AI npc of a creepy girl wanders around and chases you if you startle her.

It looks like a budget-rear end indie game but it was loving terrifying.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Context posted:

My friends and I have really been enjoying “Cook Out”. It’s basically Overcooked in VR.

And how many different kinds of milkshakes do these posers have?

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

For real though, VR is the absolute best way to experience Street View, it's even the easiest way to navigate it.

All the more reason the abandonment of Google Earth VR is such a bummer.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

forest spirit posted:

I will note that it's probably the first VR "game" with VR DLSS, unless anyone knows of any other examples.

drat these models are REALLY well done, they absolutely capture the anime music video's aesthetic

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Warbird posted:

All the more reason the abandonment of Google Earth VR is such a bummer.

It's Google, so that doesn't surprise me. It works well enough at least, and presumably just uses the current Street View data.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://twitter.com/beatsaber/status/1371541640704368648

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

forest spirit posted:

This will be the only way I get to experience a daft punk concert since Alive 2017 never happened and Alive 2027 will most likely never happen as well :negative:

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly
I got a Reverb G2 today, and have therefore opened up SteamVR for the first time in a long while (been using a Rift S up until now). Isn't there supposed to be some house environment in the SteamVR menu? When I go to SteamVR there's just a dreary environment with circles on the floor and mountains in the distance. I had a house some time ago, but it's been a while. I want my old house back. It was a nice house :(

I've searched through all the SteamVR menus but I can't find anything related to "Activate Steam House/Go to Steam House/Yo Dumbass This Is Your Steam House Button"

Please help me get my house back :(

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon
It is a home, not a house!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Sebastian Flyte posted:

I got a Reverb G2 today, and have therefore opened up SteamVR for the first time in a long while (been using a Rift S up until now). Isn't there supposed to be some house environment in the SteamVR menu? When I go to SteamVR there's just a dreary environment with circles on the floor and mountains in the distance. I had a house some time ago, but it's been a while. I want my old house back. It was a nice house :(

I've searched through all the SteamVR menus but I can't find anything related to "Activate Steam House/Go to Steam House/Yo Dumbass This Is Your Steam House Button"

If you press one of the buttons in steam vr it will pop up a menu with “environment” and you can load it or a number of others there, and then you can save it as home and hit save whenever you make changes.

Perhaps the house is in there, the default is a single room with patio building in the mountains but there is a larger version that has furniture and is nice to put geegaws on the shelves and spawn furniture etc. I use the larger version as my “home”

Also for the g2 buy a lot of AAs or some rechargable li-ion ones! (Not NiMH!)

Sebastian Flyte
Jun 27, 2003

Golly

priznat posted:

If you press one of the buttons in steam vr it will pop up a menu with “environment” and you can load it or a number of others there, and then you can save it as home and hit save whenever you make changes.

I can't find anything related to "environment" anywhere in the VR menu. I have a "settings" button, and there's a "SteamVR Home on/off" setting in the general tab, and it's on.

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Sebastian Flyte posted:

Open SteamVR with your headset connected (but not on your noggin), right-click the SteamVR window on your desktop, go to settings, and enable advanced options. There is a toggle to enable/disable SteamVR Home and it appears to have been disabled in the past.

Bloodplay it again fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Mar 15, 2021

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Sebastian Flyte posted:

I can't find anything related to "environment" anywhere in the VR menu. I have a "settings" button, and there's a "SteamVR Home on/off" setting in the general tab, and it's on.

Oh this is when you are in the mountain environment, it sounds like you got that set as your home somehow. Looking at the controllers I think it is “B” that pops up the floating menu with options to customize your avatar, do quests etc. There should be an icon “environments” with a picture of a bridge. You can try out a bunch and then set one as home also from that menu.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

I got an Index last week, hell of an upgrade from a Dell Visor. Loving the controllers, even if the grip is a bit oversensitive at times.

Probably well known, but I haven't seen in it the chat for a while. So for the sake of anyone getting back in or new: Throwing a recommendation out there for OVR Toolkit if you run SteamVR I got it all set up and it's really sweet to be able to pin desktop windows inside VR. Perfect for pinning a music player above the table in pokerstars, or your chat up on the wall for Tabletop sim. Plus I can check out my pc performance and controller charge at a glance on my wrist now, as well as always have the time in any game without having to breakout into another menu.

Just any situation where you'd want to use your PC while staying in VR.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Zero VGS posted:

Okay, after extensively going back and forth between the Pimax 8KX and the 5K OLED, the 8KX is going back to Amazon. The main issue is that the 8KX apparently has a focal distance of half a meter while the other headsets are closer to one meter. That and apparently the 8KX IPD adjustment is maybe a millimeter or two less narrow at max closeness which is not ideal for me with an IPD around 58.

5K OLED has been fine for me (beat Alyx with it) but the 8KX is making me pukey. If you are nearsighted or have a wider IPD, those two factors might actually work in your favor for the 8KX being the most comfy headset. As usual I highly recommend getting it on Amazon so the return is hassle free.
Since you are experienced with Pimax, here's an unusual question: Could I use the Pimax 5K or 8K to watch content on Amazon, and/or play some non-VR games as on a giant OLED?

That reason I ask: I'm temporarily living at a place where I cannot install a large TV, but I have a PC here that can play games over a 120hz refresh rate. There's a few shows on Amazon I want to watch on a large screen, and also a few non-VR FPS games I want to play (Doom Eternal, Call of Duty).

Would I be able to use one of the Pimax VR sets in place of a large OLED? And also would the Pimax allow me to wear glasses? If so which Pimax version would be ideal to purchase?

I know that defeats the purpose of having a VR headset, but I have very bad vision( -7.25/-5.25) and don't want to mess with custom lenses and the regular VR experience right now. But I do want to find a way to enjoy shows and games on a giant screen in my temporary living conditions.

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

Some new songs to play whilst all the poor modders scramble to update BMBF for Quest. Here’s hoping the mapping is better on these.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

nnnotime posted:

Since you are experienced with Pimax, here's an unusual question: Could I use the Pimax 5K or 8K to watch content on Amazon, and/or play some non-VR games as on a giant OLED?

That reason I ask: I'm temporarily living at a place where I cannot install a large TV, but I have a PC here that can play games over a 120hz refresh rate. There's a few shows on Amazon I want to watch on a large screen, and also a few non-VR FPS games I want to play (Doom Eternal, Call of Duty).

Would I be able to use one of the Pimax VR sets in place of a large OLED? And also would the Pimax allow me to wear glasses? If so which Pimax version would be ideal to purchase?

I know that defeats the purpose of having a VR headset, but I have very bad vision( -7.25/-5.25) and don't want to mess with custom lenses and the regular VR experience right now. But I do want to find a way to enjoy shows and games on a giant screen in my temporary living conditions.

The Pimax is the most accommodating HMD for wide glasses. My boyfriend has really wide IPD (like 67mm) and really wide glasses and he was surprised they fit fine without hitting the headset's lenses. That's a perk to having such huge canted screens. If your glasses stick out far then the Index might be a better fit as it has an eye relief knob that moves the lenses farther from your face.

I believe the best fit for you would be the 5K Super: https://www.amazon.com/Headset-2560x1440p-Resolution-Fast-Switched-USB-Powered/dp/B08PK58KJD

It is dual 1440p screens with full RGB stripe, and it includes the "comfort kit" which is the nice strap with integrated (crappy but better than nothing) audio (and you can plug in your own audio), and forehead rest and noseguard found on the newer models, and it runs 120hz at full resolution. If you play your 2D FPS games in a VR app like Bigscreen, you could simulate like a 100-inch TV from couch distance and it would take advantage of the really wide field of view nicely.

The OLED version of the Pimax is also sold on Amazon, it is $140 more and it is the one I stuck with. The colors do pop since it's OLED, but the pentile subpixels make it closer to a true 1080p than 1440. But since it only comes with a plain headstrap and no comfort kit, it's sort of like the Quest 2 in that regard, you'd need to spend even more to rig a Vive Deluxe Audio Strap to it (what I wound up doing) and even then it's not quite as comfy as the comfort kit. If I could trade it evenly for a 5K Super, which is less money, I would.

The full 4K version has a much closer focal distance, it feels like the whole world is focusing at half a meter, instead of a full meter. For my I'd take off the headset feeling pukey and cross-eyed. From browsing their forums most dislike it, while a minority with vision issues actually prefer it, so you might give it a whirl if the other models don't do it for you.

The most important thing I need to stress is to be sure to buy it from Amazon so that you get a 30-day hassle-free return. Pimax themselves are shady and border on sleazy (rumor has it a day ago they were remotely disabling headsets for people who didn't pay the Euro import tax, because Pimax forgot to collect the tax upfront lol) and buying from Amazon shields you from most of their shitshow and send it back free if you have any regrets. If you don't have any controllers or trackers, you'll at a minimum need a single Lighthouse 1.0 and optionally at least one Vive wand to interact with some apps. If you plan to ever use the Valve Knuckles controllers you'll need Lighthouse 2.0 for those.

edit: With all that said, the full Valve Index Kit has "ships in 2 weeks" which usually means within a couple days, and that is $999 for the headset, and the trackers and controllers. If you already have trackers/controllers or if money is no object, the Pimax should edge it out, but otherwise I might consider the Index to be a better value. I've never used it but I've heard is has much better optics for things right in front of you (i.e. if you're playing 2D games/movies as opposed to Half Life Alyx where the huge field of view is stunning), and has top-notch comfort as well.

edit 2: Oh and I forgot that the Reverb G2 is actually in stock in some places. If you're watching movies and playing games that might be the best value since it has self-tracking and includes controllers for $600: https://store.hp.com/us/en/hp-reverb-g2-virtual-reality-headset

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Mar 16, 2021

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zero VGS posted:

If you plan to ever use the Valve Knuckles controllers you'll need Lighthouse 2.0 for those.

No, any newer Lighthouse tech (Knuckles, Index HMD, the 2.0 and 3.0 Trackers) all work fine with original Lighthouses. The issue is with the old hardware (OG Vive and Wands) being unable to process the Lighthouse 2.0's IR pattern for tracking because it's a different algorithm.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, any newer Lighthouse tech (Knuckles, Index HMD, the 2.0 and 3.0 Trackers) all work fine with original Lighthouses. The issue is with the old hardware (OG Vive and Wands) being unable to process the Lighthouse 2.0's IR pattern for tracking because it's a different algorithm.

Ah yeah got that mixed up. I upgraded my own Lighthouses to 2.0 and now I had to buy Index controllers (which got porch pirated from me, hopefully Valve will do a replacement).

Actually, one of my 2.0 lighthouses (that I've only had for a week) is blinking red now. Unfortunately I didn't get it from Steam so I assume I'm stuck dealing with HTC instead, man that's gonna suck.

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Neddy Seagoon posted:

For anyone looking for something to do in VRChat, I highly recommend enabling Community Worlds in your settings and checking out Putt Putt Pond. It's a Minigolf park with two eighteen-hole courses and a lot of fun.

I spent three hours with friends going through all 36 holes and this world is just the best and so polished!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Frobbe posted:

I spent three hours with friends going through all 36 holes and this world is just the best and so polished!

Hole 17 on the Lakeside course is just so loving mean with that sliding wall :argh:.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Blade Runner posted:

Oh, since VR Ears were mentioned upthread and I just saw this today, have a thing.

https://prettygood3d.com/listing/932243822/oe1-off-ear-headphones-for-quest-2-kit

Kinda limited since you need the elite strap, and inherently very hacky, but still.

e: whoops I'm a moron they do actually have the DAS and other straps in their store they just didn't update this page

The "Tectonic BMR" speakers they mention, does anyone know what model precisely are used in the Index and where are they purchasable? More importantly, do they actually sound appreciably better than the DAS speakers if I'm not an audiophile?

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

The "Tectonic BMR" speakers they mention, does anyone know what model precisely are used in the Index and where are they purchasable? More importantly, do they actually sound appreciably better than the DAS speakers if I'm not an audiophile?

Tectonic is just a brand, so you can just buy their stuff. That said, I think the Index speakers were specially designed for Valve.

https://www.tectonicaudiolabs.com/product/tebm35c10-4-5/?id=product-784

Here's the link to what they probably based them off of, anyway! As for sound on the Index at least, it kinda depends. The quality is better than any other headset, worse than KC 75s, but overall pretty nice and very comfortable to wear.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I finally got OVR setup yesterday, but other games immediately started complaining about running low on VRAM, so I finally have a solid reason to upgrade my 1060. Of course I can't, but hey ho.

Frobbe posted:

I don't know if I'm missing a setting, but no combination of search terms is bringing up something called Putt Putt Pond.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I don't know if I'm missing a setting, but no combination of search terms is bringing up something called Putt Putt Pond.

Go into your Settings Menu and enable Community Labs, then search for Worlds.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go into your Settings Menu and enable Community Labs, then search for Worlds.

Weird, yesterday I enabled Community Labs and it still didn't show up, but today it did. Possibly just needed a restart first?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Weird, yesterday I enabled Community Labs and it still didn't show up, but today it did. Possibly just needed a restart first?

It's possible :shrug:.

Also The Vive Facial Tracker will indeed work with any headset, IF you can mount it correctly.. HTC's senior hardware director was quick to point out it was calibrated around its positioning hanging off a Vive Pro, and the USB-A-to-C adapter's outside spec so use at your own risk in case it shorts the port and the like, (and those are absolutely valid points), but I can't help but think there's gotta be just a little bit of "gently caress, now they won't buy our headset. Spin! Spin! Spin! :cripes:" here.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Zero VGS posted:

My boyfriend has really wide IPD (like 67mm)

lol at 67 being a wide IPD

*cries*
:smith:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Like with sports cars, I feel like being a shortie with a little head has its advantages when you're in the VR world. Sorry for y'all with pumpkin heads or mamas that couldn't put the sauce down during pregnancy. :frogdowns:

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Anyone played this? Looks pretty high budget but considering it's Ubisoft it's probably got nothing of value gameplay-wise, although I'd like to be wrong.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1392700/AGOS__A_Game_Of_Space/

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
I know a few of us were vaguely interested in Zenith, they released a 30 min video from a live stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGnuhwDeZlM

Still some bugs as they point out.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

In Blade and Sorcery the rapier is just too fun. “Oh you are advancing? Let me scar you across the face for that rudeness!”

Now I just have to figure out mods. I downloaded a bunch with the vortex installer thing but they didn’t seem to take after being installed and enabled. I just want lightsabers!

Also I discovered the youtuber “upisnotjump” and he has some very entertaining vr themed gaming vids if you haven’t seen him before. Don’t let the “x is a nightmare and this is why” titles dissuade you :haw:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

He's great but I get tired of that style of fast editing Youtuber really quick.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

I played this in VR with a friend recently after trying it out flatscreen, and it's amazing how spooked you can get even if you don't believe games can have that effect on you. Any time a ghost would so much as shut a door or flickered a light I'd nope the gently caress outta there, to my 2D friend's amusement.

The hand-over-eyes jump scare still isn't all that scary though, it just looks kinda silly even in VR.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

Mantis42 posted:

He's great but I get tired of that style of fast editing Youtuber really quick.

He really isn't that style. You're thinking of vloggers who just fast edit a monologue but his videos are really well produced scripted skits

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh man I can’t believe that it’s all ska music

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Warbird posted:

Don't hype me!

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I wouldn’t be, it’s all up strokes :v:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm playing way worse with the Eleven paddle attachment than I was without it. Gonna give it a few more tries so I can adjust but I feel like I lose track of my paddle easier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Warbird posted:

Would.