Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ultraviolence123 posted:

That is a pretty sweet find. I've never come across Cirith Ungol CDs in the wild, and growing up there used to be a metal shop about six blocks from my house. Even struggle with finding them on eBay.

In the late 90's/early 00's I had a friend that worked at a store that was dedicated to CDs, and then DVDs when they dropped. I spent a lot of Friday night's there, and we were walking down the aisles, and he pointed out this CD that looked really cool, it was King of the Dead, which I bought that night because it does look really cool, and it was really cool. The only other Cirith Ungol CD they could get was One Foot in Hell, which I special ordered later.

Frost and Fire I found in a music store when I visited Poland in 2004 (along with Therion's Lepaca Kliffoth).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Got a notification from Shout Factory that Event Horizon shipped! :woop:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Snatch 4K! But was that film or early DV?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m still waiting for the hunky boys

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Yeah that’s a buy

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Wait, there's a fourth Indiana Jones movie?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Cloks posted:

Tbat's a weird way to think of the Young Indy series but I'll take it!

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Cloks posted:

How I envy you.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Young Indy 4K when?? I wanna see that early 90s TV CGI in gigantic UHD.

Also I wouldn't mind seeing the globe-spanning locations that outmatch any television show filmed today, far surpassing Game of Thrones. But mostly that TV CGI.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

That’s an insta-buy for me.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I, Butthole posted:

perhaps but they're not as good as vinyls

They have better sound quality and are more convenient and degrade slower. Vinyls have nicer artwork though

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I know they’re big and expensive and technically inferior, but there’s something weirdly cathartic about putting on an LP and going through the process of flipping it while you’re doing something else relaxing or working on something. It’s like a ritual.

I would never try to convince someone else “oh hey you have to listen to [x] on vinyl because it’s just not the same on cd” or anything like that. Some people prefer the convenience of CDs or Spotify and that makes definite sense, but I also definitely get the appeal of vinyl.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

LionArcher posted:

They have better sound quality and are more convenient and degrade slower. Vinyls have nicer artwork though

Spatulater bro! posted:

CDs sound better. Fight me.

TheScott2K posted:

They don't look as good on a shelf but that's about it.

sorry but y'all are just pawns in the game to make CPL have a violent reaction to the word "vinyls"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CelticPredator posted:

I’m still waiting for the hunky boys

Thanks for reminding me to order my Hunky Boy

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Speaking of sets where you only want one of the movies....

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
How orange will Raiders be this time

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Boywhiz88 posted:

Speaking of sets where you only want one of the movies....

Nah I'm probably looking forward to Temple of Doom 4k just as much as Raiders.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Basebf555 posted:

Nah I'm probably looking forward to Temple of Doom 4k just as much as Raiders.

It's been 13 years, I'm curious to see how Kingdom of the Crystal Skull has aged

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Iron Crowned posted:

It's been 13 years, I'm curious to see how Kingdom of the Crystal Skull has aged

I enjoy the movie but it's not gonna have the same appeal on UHD as the others because of all the CGI. And I don't mean gophers, I mean how many scenes are just entirely CG backgrounds and settings. It's not the same as something like the Temple of Doom set that they actually built with the huge skull face and all that. I can't wait to see that set in 4k with HDR.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Nate RFB posted:

How orange will Raiders be this time

I was going to say, I'm being transported back to when the BDs came out and pissed off everybody online

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

The set looks cool and I'll probably buy it, but man what I wouldn't give for a super decked out 4K LE of Raiders.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
The blu ray.com listings do have entries for each of the four Indy movies individually, in addition to the listing for the full set. So maybe each one is gonna get it's own release.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

The blu ray.com listings do have entries for each of the four Indy movies individually, in addition to the listing for the full set. So maybe each one is gonna get it's own release.

Like the Columbia Pictures collection?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

doomisland posted:

Like the Columbia Pictures collection?

Well yea but that's why I pointed out the blu ray.com listings. There was never individual listings for the Columbia set films, just the full set.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I feel like a lot of pack movies get individual listings because of blu-ray dot com “insiders” and none of them ever come out.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
What happened to the original design for the 4k Indy set? Did they listen to the backlash and change it??

edit: Is this a standard release and the white set is the special edition?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

BluRay.com breaks them out just for the purpose of their database. Otherwise, individual releases usually get their own entry that just refer back to the original reviews from the pack.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Franchescanado posted:

What happened to the original design for the 4k Indy set? Did they listen to the backlash and change it??

edit: Is this a standard release and the white set is the special edition?

What was the backlash about? That's a rad cover.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Spatulater bro! posted:

What was the backlash about? That's a rad cover.

Probably didn't look enough like a garbage photoshop for some marketing executive

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'd guess that the backlash was fans yelling "Just use the original poster for once you loving idiots!!!"

Which for UHD releases actually makes sense. Your only audience is dorks who already want the movies. For once, nobody is going to buy the thing because they're casually browsing in Best Buy.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I, Butthole posted:

sorry but y'all are just pawns in the game to make CPL have a violent reaction to the word "vinyls"

My father was an audio engineer. Vinyls are a worse medium. But again, artwork is nice.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

LionArcher posted:

Vinyls are a worse medium.

:vince:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

LionArcher posted:

My father was an audio engineer. Vinyls are a worse medium. But again, artwork is nice.

How many layers of shielding did he have on his patch cables?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I hope that Indy set isn't the packaging with those cardboard sleeves because with UHD that's almost always a disaster.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

LionArcher posted:

I swear to God!!!

In terms of sound quality, I have plenty of really good sounding vinyl records. I also really like the whole experience. There's a ritual with putting the music on, and having sides can be useful to help break up an album.

There's something that a CD is just missing. I can't explain it.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

I hope that Indy set isn't the packaging with those cardboard sleeves because with UHD that's almost always a disaster.

This pic of the set was also posted:

Individual steel books.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Franchescanado posted:

Individual steel books.

I see your edit there :argh:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Franchescanado posted:

Individual steel books.

I hate that they use the exact pose on the main case and raiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Franchescanado posted:

Individual steel books.

Oh cool, looks similar to the Back to the Future steelbook set.