Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

GoutPatrol posted:

And there is a whole industry of games which seems to be designed to sell for 2 bucks and give someone a platinum for e-cred. You look at people who have the most trophies they'll have 6 different versions of the same game, each from a different region for each trophy list they could do in 15 minutes.

Hey man that sweet sweet cheevo dripfeed is a drug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Thank you so much everyone! I love rambling about video games and could do it for an age. :)

It is cool that everyone is as excited for me to reach DS3 as I am! Thinking about how spoiled I am getting to play 3 souls games in a row with no waiting for them to make them.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I’m finally further in the PS4 version of Odin Sphere than I ever got on the ps2, beyond Mercedes’ part, and I’m still wondering, is this game really 80 hours long or something? Or are the parts beyond her vastly shorter than the parts before?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

VideoGames posted:

Thank you so much everyone! I love rambling about video games and could do it for an age. :)

It is cool that everyone is as excited for me to reach DS3 as I am! Thinking about how spoiled I am getting to play 3 souls games in a row with no waiting for them to make them.

I should be able to watch your stream this friday (last one I had to leave for my gf right as you started). Dark Souls 2 is such a trip and since you're playing it on PS4, I have a high level character doing the DLCs so we may be able to co-op a bit but is the one I played the least with people due to soul memory.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Guillermus posted:

I should be able to watch your stream this friday (last one I had to leave for my gf right as you started). Dark Souls 2 is such a trip and since you're playing it on PS4, I have a high level character doing the DLCs so we may be able to co-op a bit but is the one I played the least with people due to soul memory.

What is soul memory? And it is absolutely OK :) Watch whenever you can but girlfriends take precedence!

I am stoked to play again tonight for sure. I have been thinking about it since sunday and I might try taking on the Heidi knights again and reach that dragon now that I have the big club! :D

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Just finished FF7R and.. oof. I played the original like 20 years ago and had no particular fondness for it though I enjoyed my time with it, so I'm fairly immune to the FF7 nostalgia and started playing the remake from a more or less neutral place, but as it went on I grew more and more frustrated with it, mostly with the story additions and the characters. I don't remember the plot ghosts being in the original and they felt really tacked-on for no real reason and I'm sure the game would've been just fine without them.

The characters make some profoundly stupid decisions too that made me actively dislike them. By the end any tension was completely gone too because by then the game goes out of its way to show that the characters can do anything and survive any impossible situation unless the plot says they can't, so it's really inconsistent.

Wall Market was fun at least, aside from Hell House where the combat system really stumbled. Combat was mostly fun, the Materia stuff is still good, but fights can become so chaotic and indecipherable that it's a huge pain in the rear end to suffer through an encounter.

Some of the additions work well too, I like learning skills from weapons and using the skills in certain situations, smart choice to rip that from other FF's.

Also the texture bug is absurdly bad, my favorite moment with that is when you're presented what a character calls a "view" and it's a super blurry low-res jpg of a city.

Sorry for the rant, but goddamn what a letdown even with fairly low expectations. I'm sure for a FF7 fan it's a much better experience, it definitely felt like the game thinks you played the original (looking at you, Sephiroth).

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

acksplode posted:

Get a yubikey too, while I'm preaching.

💯 The best thing about hardware keys is that they cannot be stolen over the Internet (which also mitigates the threat of social engineering) and they're also less likely to be physically lost unlike phones (with 2FA apps in them). I know some people carry their hardware key with them on a keychain but since I work 99% of the time on my desktop at home, I never unplug it so it can't get lost. The only actual threat is burglars but if someone breaks into your home to steal the hardware key specifically then you're in much deeper poo poo anyway :lol:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

VideoGames posted:

What is soul memory? And it is absolutely OK :) Watch whenever you can but girlfriends take precedence!
Unlike DS1 and DS3, Dark Souls 2 tracks how many souls you've ever collected with a given character. That's called the soul memory and it determines who you can summon and which other players can invade you. The idea was that it would stop the common PVP strategy of refusing to level up your character but maxing out your weapons and then ambushing new characters in low-level zones. It kind of does that, but the downside is that it tracks all the souls you've obtained without considering how many souls you've lost through dying. If you get stuck on a particularly difficult boss, you will eventually "outlevel" the other players attempting to defeat it even though you haven't gotten appreciably stronger and can't summon or be summoned on that boss anymore. You will also become open to attacks from higher-level players who didn't die as often and are therefore effectively stronger even though the game considers them to be in your own power bracket.

Long story short, it was a well-intentioned idea that was badly executed.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
My big takeaway from FF7R was the same as FF15, cool world, cool characters but the battle system just didn't work for me

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Stare-Out posted:

Just finished FF7R and.. oof. I played the original like 20 years ago and had no particular fondness for it though I enjoyed my time with it, so I'm fairly immune to the FF7 nostalgia and started playing the remake from a more or less neutral place, but as it went on I grew more and more frustrated with it, mostly with the story additions and the characters. I don't remember the plot ghosts being in the original and they felt really tacked-on for no real reason and I'm sure the game would've been just fine without them.

The plot ghosts were tacked-on for a very real reason

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Cardiovorax posted:

Unlike DS1 and DS3, Dark Souls 2 tracks how many souls you've ever collected with a given character. That's called the soul memory and it determines who you can summon and which other players can invade you. The idea was that it would stop the common PVP strategy of refusing to level up your character but maxing out your weapons and then ambushing new characters in low-level zones. It kind of does that, but the downside is that it tracks all the souls you've obtained without considering how many souls you've lost through dying. If you get stuck on a particularly difficult boss, you will eventually "outlevel" the other players attempting to defeat it even though you haven't gotten appreciably stronger and can't summon or be summoned on that boss anymore. You will also become open to attacks from higher-level players who didn't die as often and are therefore effectively stronger even though the game considers them to be in your own power bracket.

Long story short, it was a well-intentioned idea that was badly executed.

OK I get what they were going for. Guess I better do my best not to die or collect souls! :) Or maybe I should. I actually do not have a clue how many souls I have obtained.

I do love the death counter monument though! That is neat as anything :D

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Bearer
Bearer
Seek
Lest

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Imagine Tim Rogers and Vaatyi teamed up for a video :aaaaa:

Thankfully we don't have to imagine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLOPygVcaVE

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Editor's Note: The paint spent some time in Japan.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Stare-Out posted:

I think you've missed the big through-line of the game; FFVII Remake is not a remake of FFVII, it's FFVII itself being remade. The plot-ghosts are literally trying to keep things in-line with the "canon" story and things are going a wee bit off-track bit-by-bit.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

JollyBoyJohn posted:

My big takeaway from FF7R was the same as FF15, cool world, cool characters but the battle system just didn't work for me

It took me a good while to realize it's not an action game battle system. Dodge has no i-frames, there's only like one way to animation cancel and normal attacks are only for building up ATB to use abilities. I admire what they went for in that it's still sort of turn-based and when it works, it works really well, especially when you use abilities that work well together to increase stagger. But the real-time nature of it made it pretty confusing at times and the worst thing was in boss fights when you time a huge attack only to have the boss be 1hp away from being pre-cutscene invincible and you waste your attack entirely.

That, and having to enter fights with Materia setups that absolutely tank your damage because you had no idea what kind of a fight it was going to be.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I think you've missed the big through-line of the game; FFVII Remake is not a remake of FFVII, it's FFVII itself being remade. The plot-ghosts are literally trying to keep things in-line with the "canon" story and things are going a wee bit off-track bit-by-bit.

See, I figured that was the case but I don't see the point in it at all. In the end it just felt like a clunky deus ex machina thing.

Stare-Out fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Mar 16, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Replaying the game on Hard Mode was annoying because the combat encounters really want you to switch up your materia loadout but there's no easy way to do that. You're also mostly screwed if you wanna roll with a caster heavy setup.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

VideoGames posted:

OK I get what they were going for. Guess I better do my best not to die or collect souls! :) Or maybe I should. I actually do not have a clue how many souls I have obtained.
Not dying is generally a good strategy in Dark Souls games, so you're on the right track there.

VideoGames posted:

I do love the death counter monument though! That is neat as anything :D
What's it up to these days? It was at something like 300 million when I played.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Bearer
Bearer
Seek
Lest

I get it now. She brought my estus up to 7 now I think with a +3.

Cardiovorax posted:

What's it up to these days? It was at something like 300 million when I played.

384 million if I recall from Friday. I personally have added 60 deaths to the total. :)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Replaying the game on Hard Mode was annoying because the combat encounters really want you to switch up your materia loadout but there's no easy way to do that. You're also mostly screwed if you wanna roll with a caster heavy setup.

It should let you save Materia setups and let you equip them before every fight. They even let you enter the menu when a character re-enters your party before a fight but other times they don't for whatever reason. Not sure what that's about.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you get into a fight with the wrong materia you can just hit retry and it'll let you change them, though you you have to start the fight again obviously, not having materia profiles you can swap around easily is def a problem though.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, I was having a look at the different Ghost Recon games since they are almost constantly being on sale but I wonder what´s the big difference(s) between Wildlands and Breakpoint, since they both seem to be open world shooters with the usual UBI collectahon?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, I was having a look at the different Ghost Recon games since they are almost constantly being on sale but I wonder what´s the big difference(s) between Wildlands and Breakpoint, since they both seem to be open world shooters with the usual UBI collectahon?

At this point, you should go with Breakpoint. While Wildlands has a cooler map in my opinion, Breakpoint has much better gameplay and shitloads of gameplay customization. You can go all out survival style or lean more to arcade shooting.

Wildlands can be played offline while Breakpoint needs to authenticate if that's a problem for you.

Breakpoint at launch was a big mess and Wildlands was nicely patched but now, Breakpoint has cool events and lots of QoL improvements over Wildlands and the most important thing for most players, you can remove the gear score thing and remove all looter shooter stuff. The only part that needs gear score is the raid but you can play solo or co-op all the way with that turned off.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Breakpoint is a bit more influenced by The Division, not just with the itemization but also in how the combat flows. Well, that's how it felt to me, anyway. Wildlands was also designed around squad-based gameplay from the beginning while Breakpoint had it patched into the game after it was released, although I don't know how much of a difference that makes since I haven't played it since before that was a thing. Maybe someone else could chime in on how well they implemented that.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Alright, thanks for the heads-up on Breakpoint. I can´t see any difference between the Gold and the Ultimate pack of the game, is it just cosmetics and equipment or do the Ultimate have more missions?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Sylphosaurus posted:

Alright, thanks for the heads-up on Breakpoint. I can´t see any difference between the Gold and the Ultimate pack of the game, is it just cosmetics and equipment or do the Ultimate have more missions?
Yeah, a few. Here's from the Ubisoft page:

quote:

YEAR 1 PASS
The Year 1 Pass includes:
• The Siren’s Call mission available from launch ;
• The Special Operation Forces Pack, the finest military equipment composed of the “Quiet” Designated Marksman Rifle, the Covered ACH, the CRYE G3 combat pants and the cross draw vest, available from launch ;
• Access to two upcoming immersive Adventures: Deep State and Transcendence ;
• Early unlock of three classes, which will improve both your solo and multiplayer gaming experiences by introducing new skills for your character.

ULTIMATE PACK
Dominate your enemies with the Ultimate Pack that includes:
• XP Boosters and Skell Credits packs that will give you a headstart right from the beginning of your journey***;
• The exclusive Survivor Pack featuring the "Promise" handgun, the "Primal" CQC weapon skin and the Survivor set (Bandana, Pants, ALICE Chest Rig) ;
• The Sacred Land Pack that includes an additional mission and a melee weapon to save the Sacred Land from its enemies ;
• The Off-Road Pack will give you access to two powerful vehicles, the Trail TX Motorbike and the GX Spider Buggy, along with four customization options for each vehicle.
Both of this is included in the ultimate edition. Not sure if it's worth it, but it's definitely not just cosmetic DLC poo poo.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Alright, thanks a lot. Guess I´ll just get the ultimate pack and go with that.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

Breakpoint is a bit more influenced by The Division, not just with the itemization but also in how the combat flows. Well, that's how it felt to me, anyway. Wildlands was also designed around squad-based gameplay from the beginning while Breakpoint had it patched into the game after it was released, although I don't know how much of a difference that makes since I haven't played it since before that was a thing. Maybe someone else could chime in on how well they implemented that.

Breakpoint was literally designed around squad based gameplay. It didn't have AI partners at launch making it harder solo. Breakpoint added even more emphasis on group play from day 1 with classes and objectives recommended for more than 1 player.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Guillermus posted:

Breakpoint was literally designed around squad based gameplay. It didn't have AI partners at launch making it harder solo.
If the game was launched in a state which intended that you'd play large portions of it solo whenever you couldn't find someone to co-op with, then it's not 'designed around squad-based gameplay' in the sense that I meant it in that post.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Stare-Out posted:

That, and having to enter fights with Materia setups that absolutely tank your damage because you had no idea what kind of a fight it was going to be.

Yeah, that was my biggest problem too, the fairly frequent cycle of "discover a fight, figure out the enemy, get back to the last point you can change materia (voluntarily or not), restart the fight" is not a very good flow. Especially near the end of the game where party composition gets changed up on you a lot

The Arsenal takes forever if you show up without any lightning slotted, btw

quote:

See, I figured that was the case but I don't see the point in it at all. In the end it just felt like a clunky deus ex machina thing.

Also agreed, with zero knowledge of the original story those bits didn't resonate or really make much sense. I think I mentally wrote them off as something that would be explained in part 2

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Sakurazuka posted:

Don't think I've been on a ship yet

well... look forward to that lol.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

haveblue posted:

Yeah, that was my biggest problem too, the fairly frequent cycle of "discover a fight, figure out the enemy, get back to the last point you can change materia (voluntarily or not), restart the fight" is not a very good flow. Especially near the end of the game where party composition gets changed up on you a lot

The Arsenal takes forever if you show up without any lightning slotted, btw

Whenever I felt like it was time for a boss fight I put all three magic materias on both Cloud and Tifa in case the team got split since up til then you'd almost always have at least one of them in the party and then that fight came and.. yeah. At least that one doesn't get too chaotic or crazy and is mechanically fairly simple, but it did take forever to beat.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

If the game was launched in a state which intended that you'd play large portions of it solo whenever you couldn't find someone to co-op with, then it's not 'designed around squad-based gameplay' in the sense that I meant it in that post.

The game launched in a buggy state and sold poorly, that made dificult to play with a full squad but it was designed to be played co-op mainly and was stated by the devs. Wildlands was designed with co-op completely optional (even able to be played offline) from launch while Breakpoint was the other way around.

Patches made solo play on Breakpoint now a full experience with only the raid the only content you have to find people to do it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaobG3z18zg

got some "this is the new poo poo" vibes

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Vikar Jerome posted:

This is not what I was hoping for sadly. I just wanted another action isometric RPG like before.

I do hope it is good though and that those who play it have fun.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm the censored middle finger

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

At least it's better than the awful GoPro trailer.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FFVIIR combat is very good but it doesnt signal some key elements of the combat very well like its absolutely essential to target Hell House's arms while its body is protected by God Mode and its hard to tell the difference between unblockable and regular attacks.

Otherwise its probably my favorite FF game of all time.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Vikar Jerome posted:

The "look how badass we are" marketing is embarrassing as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Big Dragon Age 2 Marilyn Manson vibes