Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Imagine Tim Rogers and Vaatyi teamed up for a video :aaaaa:

Vaati's videos are a normal length and he talks super slowly, when you watch him on stream he comes off as 10,000% more normal, and also his son is extremely cute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Crows Turn Off posted:

Destiny 2 was better before Beyond Light. I will never understand removing content as an expansion?! How does that make sense?!

The old zones weren't utilized much but took up a ton of resources. I don't miss Io or Mercury at all, and prior to the public events in Season of Arrivals I only really went to Titan if there was a bounty or something that required it even if I didn't mind the area. The base campaign wasn't interesting outside of a couple setpieces. Mars and strike playlist diversity are the only real losses.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Imagine Tim Rogers and Vaatyi teamed up for a video :aaaaa:

18 hour long video but nothing added.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Oh my word, Snowrunner really is great

Big rear end Truck Sim

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Words about Dark Souls

great post VG! count me among those waiting for you to get to DS3 (and Sekiro--you're gonna show Lady VG your parrying skills of a god). it's been great to watch your journey through all of this

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Also cant wait for VG to get to ds3. At the rate he's going atm he'll probably beat the nameless king before I do

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Also cant wait for VG to get to ds3. At the rate he's going atm he'll probably beat the nameless king before I do

iirc he's ridiculously vulnerable to magic or maybe pyromancy

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

morallyobjected posted:

iirc he's ridiculously vulnerable to magic or maybe pyromancy

I'm using +10 Heavy Greatsword str build :(

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Do it with goons while you’re blind drunk and will have no actual memory of it like I did with that boss and one or two others

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Escobarbarian posted:

Do it with goons while you’re blind drunk and will have no actual memory of it like I did with that boss and one or two others

It's still pretty hard with ppl, because it raises the health cap so much. Veni and I were doing it the other night and were even having trouble getting past the dragon phase lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

clickbait, but, Mr Balrog you could'a fooled me

https://www.pushsquare.com/news/2021/03/cory_barlog_admits_he_had_no_idea_what_he_was_doing_when_directing_god_of_war_2

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
ahhhh yeah I unlocked the Mace and the Hammer and Chisel on Mortal Shell. Its starting to click

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's still pretty hard with ppl, because it raises the health cap so much. Veni and I were doing it the other night and were even having trouble getting past the dragon phase lol

He's so weak to magic that using magic on him is basically cheating lol. I summoned a buddy who was a sorcerer and 3 magic missiles killed the dragon and maybe 3 minutes for the main phase.

I'd say I landed 85% of the hits on him and did maybe 20% of the damage with my dex character lol.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Turok 2 update, gently caress Turok 2

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah it’s so confusing

bows1 posted:

ahhhh yeah I unlocked the Mace and the Hammer and Chisel on Mortal Shell. Its starting to click

I loved that game. Nice and quick, in and out.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I warned you to use a guide!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Didn't realise that it had unlockable abilities that you may or may not need to beat a stage, also you get them in a different stage

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

didn't read the article, but barlog was a self-deprecating guy in a lot of interviews i've seen with him

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Sakurazuka posted:

cant find the keys in the ship eh

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

fridge corn posted:

I'm using +10 Heavy Greatsword str build :(

you could always respec for one fight and switch back after, as long as you have a pale tongue

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

twistedmentat posted:

I noticed that too after I platinumed the game. Impressive.

I'm near the end of Bloodborne (just need to get through the final chalice dungeons to kill the queen, and then the endings) and it says 6% of people have platinumed it. I consider that more impressive. Wasn't TLOU2 also very high on the platinum percentage? I remember several articles 6 months back or so.

I'm finally getting around to beating Cuphead after sitting on it for a few months too, once I got to Inkwell Isle III. I loving hated the queen bee boss so much. Usually the bosses there are still fun to play to try and figure out the best way to beat them, but that one...just loving sucked and I hated it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Vikar Jerome posted:

cant find the keys in the ship eh

Don't think I've been on a ship yet

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
https://www.vice.com/amp/en/article/y3g8wb/hacker-got-my-texts-16-dollars-sakari-netnumber

this seems like as good a time as any to remind/inform you that Sony offers 2FA via authenticator app now (you have to disable it completely and re-enable it to get the option) so you should 100% change to that if you're currently using SMS

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

morallyobjected posted:

https://www.vice.com/amp/en/article/y3g8wb/hacker-got-my-texts-16-dollars-sakari-netnumber

this seems like as good a time as any to remind/inform you that Sony offers 2FA via authenticator app now (you have to disable it completely and re-enable it to get the option) so you should 100% change to that if you're currently using SMS

is it that big a deal? sms seems more convenient

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Honestly I should have switched to app authentication a long time ago, multiple Directs even if I had managed to get through the queue I would have been burned by my phone reception loving off exactly when I needed 2FA and the texts would come in 20-25 minutes later :negative:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Rinkles posted:

It is. The point of 2FA is that if someone keylogs your password or something, they can't do anything with it even if they know your phone number of something like that, because there's a hard second factor to logging in that you physically own and keep on your person. If SMS confirmation can now be diverted to just anyone, basically the entire point of using SMS 2FA in the first place becomes moot.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Love how institutions that directly handle most of my money continue to be the least secure poo poo compared to my MMO account lol

acksplode
May 17, 2004

SMS is easier to intercept. It's an unencrypted message sent over a network, convenient but not really suited for 2FA. It's bad for anyone remotely prominent, some Twitter accounts have been hacked by getting a cell company's support to swap SIM cards on a phone number. If you're nobody then I'd still think hard about how much you trust your cell provider's website. An authenticator app generates a code rather than receiving it as a message, so there's no intermediary to trick and nothing to intercept. That raises the bar significantly, from social engineering or hacking your cell company account to hacking your specific auth app/device. (This goes out the window if you're cavalier about how you store backup codes, of course.)

Also it's probably nice to be able to change your phone number without locking yourself out of everything. An authenticator app starts feeling more convenient the more you use it. Get a yubikey too, while I'm preaching.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

acksplode posted:

Get a yubikey too, while I'm preaching.
Please preach in more detail. How do those work and what do they do for me? Because I'm interested, but I've never heard of it before.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Rinkles posted:

Someone could easily get your number switched to another sim card by social engineering the underpaid customer support at your phone provider and gain access to your text messages.

2FA over SMS is insecure bullshit.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

GoutPatrol posted:

I'm near the end of Bloodborne (just need to get through the final chalice dungeons to kill the queen, and then the endings) and it says 6% of people have platinumed it. I consider that more impressive. Wasn't TLOU2 also very high on the platinum percentage? I remember several articles 6 months back or so.

I'm finally getting around to beating Cuphead after sitting on it for a few months too, once I got to Inkwell Isle III. I loving hated the queen bee boss so much. Usually the bosses there are still fun to play to try and figure out the best way to beat them, but that one...just loving sucked and I hated it.

Finished or Platinumed? I thought it just had a high rate of finishing, rather than getting the platinum trophy. How many people have actually beaten...i don't know what you'd consider the final boss? Murgo's Wetnurse? Ghorman? The Moon Presence?

Though this makes me wonder, how many games have a easy plat? LIke GoT I had all but like 4 by the time I finished the main story and it took about a half hour to get those last trophies. Spider-Man took a bit longer because I had to finish the challenges and find all the hidden photos.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Please preach in more detail. How do those work and what do they do for me? Because I'm interested, but I've never heard of it before.

Yubikey is a brand of physical 2FA keys, like an authenticator app that's hanging off your keychain. (They might have competitors worth looking at but they created the market and I haven't had to reevaluate it since buying my first keys a few years ago.) You attach it to your account on a site that supports it, and then when you're logging in you plug the key into a USB port or touch it to a NFC point to authenticate yourself, instead of entering a code. These things are easier to secure than a phone, and losing or upgrading your phone doesn't affect it. For sites that don't support hardware keys, Yubico has an authenticator app that works with any site which supports one. And it uses your Yubikey to store the seed values, so you still get most of the benefit. (That's how my PSN account is secured with a Yubikey :D) They start at $20, I have a slightly fancier $45 key that supports NFC. Great little device, it's been on my keychain for years.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Do many sites support these, in your experience? Because that sounds like a great thing to have. My smartphone supports NFC anyway and I could get some real use out of that. Much easier than always having to type authenticator codes.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Authenticator app support is becoming common, so I recommend getting a key you can use that way. In my experience not many sites support hardware keys directly, but the ones that do are the ones where you really want it. Like Google and Facebook both support it, and if you use either significantly then that might be reason enough to buy one.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I definitely use Google heavily and my password app also supports Yubikey authentication, if I'm not mistaken when I think I remember seeing it in the list of 2FA options you can select.

Well, investing in one of these soon, then. Thank you very much for that recommendation! :)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ZeeBoi posted:

Someone could easily get your number switched to another sim card by social engineering the underpaid customer support at your phone provider and gain access to your text messages.

2FA over SMS is insecure bullshit.

Christ I hate navigating everything about modern technology :sigh:

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Videogames, that was a great post. I have to say I feel exactly the same way about Souls games. And I have to think this very thread (and BP, and Veni and vikar and so many others) for encouraging myself and other people to take them on. They are so intimidating from the outside in. But they are really the only game I’ve played that feels like success is driven by my own actual improvement and growth as a player. Raids in destiny are similar in a big way, but more robotic because getting good is really about learning a precise set of timed movements to execute that solve the puzzle. Getting good is just memorization. Winning in a Souls game, however, is about reacting to an ever changing, nearly always different environment with expert coordination and reflexes and knowledge of your foe. I have been taking a bit of a break from Souls games after beating dark souls 3 (really dude I can’t wait for you to play this. It is SUCH an epic game. It starts so small and gets so so huge and dark) and i’ve been playing Detroit: become human. It’s a fun, interesting story, and I’m invested in the lives(?) of the robots and what’s going to happen to them. The most difficult it gets, though, is choosing the right conversation response or beating a QTE in a fast-paced scene. I noticed this morning while playing that I felt satisfied as usual, but bored all the same. And realized it’s because there’s nothing actually challenging my skills as a player. I was really missing that challenge.

It all honestly makes me re-examine what we all get out of video games as a form of consumptive media. Some games even as complex as assassins creed games or elite dangerous, what ever they may be, often become just as numbing to the mind as just vegging on Netflix. A souls game will never do that to a player. They demand the player to be as alive and awake as possible. And that’s what really sets them apart from any other variety of this type of media.

It’s also just so loving rad to have that feeling in your chest like you’re just about to explode from the inside out with adrenaline and joy and elation when you see that almost insurmountable health bar suddenly strike empty. You’re entire being pounding forth, screaming to the universe, “I am here!” as you watch that massive beast fall to the ground in a heap.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

twistedmentat posted:

Finished or Platinumed? I thought it just had a high rate of finishing, rather than getting the platinum trophy. How many people have actually beaten...i don't know what you'd consider the final boss? Murgo's Wetnurse? Ghorman? The Moon Presence?

Though this makes me wonder, how many games have a easy plat? LIke GoT I had all but like 4 by the time I finished the main story and it took about a half hour to get those last trophies. Spider-Man took a bit longer because I had to finish the challenges and find all the hidden photos.

I guess I got confused about that, because for some games the last trophy you get would be the Platinum depending on what did before.

And there is a whole industry of games which seems to be designed to sell for 2 bucks and give someone a platinum for e-cred. You look at people who have the most trophies they'll have 6 different versions of the same game, each from a different region for each trophy list they could do in 15 minutes.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

morallyobjected posted:

you could always respec for one fight and switch back after, as long as you have a pale tongue

Oh yeah I forgot you can respec in this game. Maybe I'll try that later, I've gone into the dlc now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

GoutPatrol posted:

I guess I got confused about that, because for some games the last trophy you get would be the Platinum depending on what did before.

And there is a whole industry of games which seems to be designed to sell for 2 bucks and give someone a platinum for e-cred. You look at people who have the most trophies they'll have 6 different versions of the same game, each from a different region for each trophy list they could do in 15 minutes.

Yea i've seen some of those. Like i am pretty sure I saw on Steam there was a game that has one achievement and that unlocks as soon as you start the game.
I'd not be surprised if there was a bunch of those on PS.